Unfair share

The IRS that hounds taxpayers isn't so stringent with its own employees

Undecided about whether you pay your “fair share” of taxes?

Then know this: Your tax burden is big enough to give bonuses to Internal Revenue Service employees who don’t pay theirs.

The IRS handed out nearly $1.1 million in bonuses during a two-year period to more than 1,100 employees previously disciplined for not paying taxes, according to a recent audit.

Also found in the do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do file: The bonuses were among performance awards given to more than 2,800 agency employees with disciplinary actions, which ranged from written reprimands to multiday suspensions.

For an agency notorious for hounding taxpayers over the smallest mistakes, it appears to set the bar pretty low for its own workers – about two-thirds of the agency’s 98,000 employees received some sort of bonus in fiscal 2012.

That makes working at the IRS much like participating in a preschoolers’ soccer game, where everyone’s a winner.

Understandably, the inspector general’s report has generated bipartisan outrage in Washington. Lawmakers are calling for policies that would discipline workers for failing to pay back taxes and divert any bonus monies toward paying what is owed.

It also has renewed interest in a two-year-old bill by Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, that would allow the firing of federal employees seriously delinquent on their taxes, and prohibit the government from hiring anyone with such debt.

Such reforms would only scratch the surface at the famously dysfunctional IRS – but then again, you have to start somewhere.

deestafford
deestafford 04/30/14 - 01:10 am
The IRS is out of control....

The IRS is out of control. The Gestapo would be proud to have had it for a contemporary. The solution is THE FAIR TAX.

Just a recent example of how crazy this outfit is. My wife wrote a check to the IRS for $10 for a business tax. It had to be postmarked no later than the 15th of March. She had it done by the 14th of Mar. Last week she got a noticed from the IRS that they did not receive it until the 15th of April and she owed $195 in penalties for it being late. She now has to go back to the bank and see when the check cleared etc. $195 penalty on $10!! Of course, I heard of one similar where the check was for less than one dollar.

carcraft
carcraft 04/30/14 - 05:30 am
Not to mention that those

Not to mention that those folks work for us. The House Of Representatives congressional over sight committee requested Lois Learner's e-mails. The director of the IRS said "oh will get them to you in a year or so ". Try telling an IRS agent you will get his material to them in a year. If you screw up really badly like Lois Learner you lose your bonus but get to retire in your multi million dollar home!

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 04/30/14 - 05:59 am
The Fair Tax is a scam

Even the Bush administration's study, done before the recession, found that to be "revenue neutral" (as the scammers always claim), the rate would have to be 34%. That is on EVERY NEW PRODUCT AND ON EVERY SERVICE PURCHASED. I'm not big on used food and medicine, so there's no way around those, so you just increased your food budget by over 1/3. Of course, the right wing wants to kill the ACA, and the Fair Tax makes employee provided health insurance non tax deductible for the employer, so most employers will get drop providing insurance to their employers, period. (The Fair Tax people even admit this, and suggest people buy high deductible policies). Then you get to pay the sales tax on your insurance policy (a service), on all of your hospital treatments (services), so Good Lord, how much will a little trip to the hospital cost once you start adding in AT LEAST 34% to everything? They avoid the question as to whether you pay 34% on just the co-pay on you meds or if you have to shell it out on the full price like the plague. SOMEBODY would be responsible for the tax difference in a drug that really costs $500 a month, but your copay is only $20. I can't see insurers pharmacies eating it, and if things start not getting taxes, that blows their whole calculations and the percentage charged will have to increase. Of course, once you hit a recession, or start a couple of wars and need more money, it's not written in stone that it would be 34%. It's "revenue neutral". It may have to go to 60% to bring in enough money. Face it, it's just a scam for the ultra-wealthy to grow money tax free at the expense of the working class and middle class. The plan is so full of holes and lies it's pathetic.

Junior Dawg
Junior Dawg 04/30/14 - 07:16 am
Bod....

I'm a Fair Tax supporter and completely disagree with every comment you made in your post. The 34% rate you stated is inaccurate and your assumptions are absurd. You also don't take into account the elimination of imbedded taxes in the products we buy or the economic growth that we accompany the tax change. Please read the Fair Tax written by Neal Boortz and his buddy, because it's clear you do not know what you speak about.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/30/14 - 10:25 am
Attach A Little Note To Explain

So this year I was going to pay my taxes via automatic bank transfer, but then I get a call from my accountant. This is two weeks before the deadline, mind you. There was a mistake and I'd have to do another return. With an amended return I had to do a paper one and mail it in along with my check. I figure the IRS folks are human so I attach a little note asking them not to also take my money with the bank transfer because my hard copy check was enclosed. The accountant laughed and said I had better go to the bank and stop payment. She knew. Well, on 15 April my bank says the IRS is trying to do the transfer. No matter I would have been paying more than double. Luckily, the bank stopped them. Now I await the wrath of the IRS for having to do an amended return...and attaching a little note.

JB68
JB68 04/30/14 - 09:09 am
Scam?

The Fair Tax: Elimination of embedded taxes in products, elimination of income tax. If your salary is $60k you take home $60k. It is easy to understand and transparent. No IRS as we know it today!

The current system: Changes are made yearly without transparency, 70,000+ pages of regulations, A simple return can be given to 10 tax pros and you will likely get 10 different results. You get to keep the IRS as is.

Which one is the scam??

edcushman
edcushman 04/30/14 - 09:23 am
The Fair Tax would take away

The Fair Tax would take away some of the power of the democrats that they use taxes to buy votes.

jimmymac
jimmymac 04/30/14 - 09:46 am
IRS

The IRS has become the enforcement arm of the democrats and should be disbanded. The Fair Tax could eliminate the billions of dollars wasted every year collecting taxes through the IRS. Democrats love the current system that rewards moochers with money who don't even pay taxes.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/30/14 - 10:52 am
Fair Tax

Yay!
One problem is all those tax lawyers and CPAs will have to find honest work if Fair Tax is enacted so they are opposed to it and in favor of the present system.

harley_52
harley_52 04/30/14 - 12:29 pm
Ambulance Chasing...

....pays well, I hear. Medical malpractice too.

Plenty of work (and money) around for lawyers even with a "fair tax."

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/30/14 - 02:27 pm
The only problem with the "Fair Tax", as I understand it

is that people on fixed incomes, ie, the elderly and the disabled, will get completely hammered. Their income wouldn't go up at all because so little is being deducted, if any, yet they would have their cost of living take a huge jump. They would loss income essentially in the amount of whatever the fair tax rate ends up being.

That's not something I personally would welcome with undiluted joy. A flat tax with no deductions, dodges, loopholes or workarounds seems like a better way to go. And don't tax the bottom 25% of wage earners anything. We'd be better off with that method.

jimmymac
jimmymac 04/30/14 - 04:47 pm
LUX

I agree with most of your comments but the bottom 25% should pay something as well. There should be no free rides and everyone should have some skin in the game. It would be OK to scale back their percentage but they should have to pay something.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/30/14 - 05:15 pm
Bingo Fiat

It sounds good in theory, but there are many pitfalls. Now that I am on "fixed" income, I want no part of anything that will increase my COL.

As far as unemployed tax agents, it won't happen. Accountants and auditors will still be busy assuring compliance, and investigating the bartering which will inevitably be rampant to avoid a ~25%-30% surcharge on their goods/services.

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/30/14 - 07:53 pm
ahhhh

a "gubment" job!

Made for life - have to commit a felony on the job with photographic evidence in order to get fired!

I've had to deal with bureaucrats for most of my career. And I can tell you; without a doubt; when the O got elected in 2008 you could see a definite change in how we the people were serviced by gov't workers!

I am always respectful when dealing with gov't workers, and for the most part, up until 2008 the favor was returned. Not so much any more! Oh there are a few, a very few, who still try to serve, but the rest have a chip on their shoulder and something to prove! It's like they forget who the heck they work for!!!

Alert - you don't work for "O", you work for us!!! I don't expect you to take abuse, but at the same time, I DO EXPECT YOU TO TRY TO SERVE!

We all hate our jobs at times - just because a statist is in the White House, doesn't mean you can run rough-shod over your customers!