Beware of the dogma

More people are turning off liberal-leaning CNN because CNN is turning more people off

Plenty of blame will rightly be heaped on Piers Morgan for the fiery failure of his prime-time show on CNN, now canceled.

Back | Next
Anderson Cooper has ridiculed the Tea Party with obscenities on his CNN program.  FILE
FILE

If you believe reports from insiders, the show’s karma likely ran over its dogma: Newsday reports that the British tabloid talker was a belligerent old soul, especially to the “little” people behind the cameras.

“The makeup girls suffered the worst – he was rude and belligerent,” the newspaper quoted one source. “The general feeling is Morgan didn’t show any respect to anyone working under him — the people who were trying to make him look good.”

Too, the combative Morgan had become maniacally obsessed with his adopted nation’s gun laws. Even the liberal New York Times compared the Brit’s incessant anti-gun rant to “King George III, peering down his nose at the unruly colonies and wondering how to bring the savages to heel.”

And it was, after all, the king who inspired our Second Amendment.

But that criticism is far too narrow, as regards both Morgan and CNN.

Morgan wasn’t just opposed to nearly all conservative causes, but was openly hostile to them.

And therein lies CNN’s problem. It doesn’t just have a liberal point of view 24/7. That’s not enough. It’s hostile to conservatives, most of whom refuse to be lectured to thusly, which is to say smugly and condescendingly.

For all appearances, it’s the network’s business model.

Anchorman Anderson Cooper once ridiculed Tea Party supporters by knowingly using an obscene pejorative about them. He and his ultra-raunchy pal, comedienne Kathy Griffin, may be best known, though, for her simulated sex act on him during their New Year’s Eve “coverage.”

Anchorwoman Carol Costello recently unilaterally declared the global warming debate over. King George, meet Queen Carol.

Then-CNN Reporter Jessica Yellin once suggested strategy to President Obama – where does a reporter get off coaching partisans anyway? – including that he should basically keep congressional leaders in a room until they agree to his demands. Even Obama had to remind her he’s not a dictator. When Republican Mitt Romney said he had binders full of female candidates for jobs in Massachusetts – as proof of his reaching out to women – Yellin actually criticized that, sniffing that Romney was acting “like working women are some mail-order product you can order out of colored binders.”

CNN’s Candy Crowley, while moderating a debate between Obama and Romney, actually stepped in to support Obama at one point – and was not only wrong in doing so, but was wrong about the facts.

Then-anchorwoman Soledad O’Brien used to appear as if she had a personal stake in Democratic arguments – and critics claim she once was caught holding onto talking points from a left-wing website while debating a Republican on camera.

From O’Brien to Jeffrey Toobin to disgraced Democrat Eliot Spitzer – whom CNN tried, and failed, to rehabilitate into a national show host – the bias, and even a contempt for conservative Americans, is open and unrelenting.

What do they expect to happen as a result?

Whatever your take on politics or CNN, it’s unquestionable that CNN has turned off conservatives, and vice versa.

Why? Do network officials not see it? Surely they must. Do they not care that the network is tanking in the
ratings? Surely they must. Or is it simply more important to ply the liberal ideology?

As a Georgia-based network, we’d love to cheer CNN on. But the network seems intent on sneering at conservatives and propping up Democrats. And the former “worldwide leader in news” has little stomach for the many scandals engulfing the Obama administration, from Fast and Furious to Benghazi to domestic spying to IRS targeting of conservatives and more.

There’s a waiting audience out there of fair-minded liberals, moderates and conservatives. There are ratings and revenues to be had. Fox News has proved that, with ratings that are sometimes double that of all its cable news competitors – combined. Attracting those viewers will require more balance and reason on the part of CNN, and less shrill shilling for the Democratic Party.

Liberals have tried to sell the notion that Fox News is the fringe network. The numbers – and the spectacular ratings flameouts like Piers Morgan’s at CNN – say otherwise.

corgimom
corgimom 03/02/14 - 05:49 am
Oh, Good Lord, now an

Oh, Good Lord, now an editorial about a cable news station.

What's next, an editorial about Dancing With the Stars?

Who cares about Piers Morgan or any other of those entertainers- they are no more journalists than I am.

ACES, you are better than this. Much better.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/02/14 - 07:38 am
The ACES is just following

The ACES is just following suit of the Obama administration who fired the first shot attacking Fox news on national TV. Oh lord is right.

deestafford
deestafford 03/02/14 - 07:58 am
This sort of goes along with the discussion...

This sort of goes along with the discussion we have been having in the comments section of the ACES the past few days. There is nothing wrong with a news outlet being bias as long as you know what it's bias is.

If one studies history one will see the media have been bias one way or the other since its Founding and even before. The key is for people with the ability to think critically to understand the bias. Unfortunately, too many people, particularly of the liberal persuasion, are too uninformed to understand when they are being fed pablum.

I strongly support a bias media because I like most conservatives think for ourselves and can discern between truth and propaganda.

As a matter of fact, I'm bias and I also discriminate. I discriminated against many women when I chose my wife thereby causing the others grief.:) I'm bias against the Auburn Tigers since I'm a big, big Bama fan (Roll Tide!) So, when someone says they are not bias and don't discriminate you know they are someone not friends with the truth.

ymnbde
ymnbde 03/02/14 - 08:06 am
they should be called O'cnn

because they're simply the marketing department
for the democratic party
and the democratic party
is simply the implementation Apparatchik
for totalitarian government
and totalitarian government
is simply the manifestation
of the worst qualities that lie within humans
another manifestation of the worst qualities that lie within humans
performed by the democrats is
THREE SCHOOLS IN RICHMOND COUNTY HAD ZERO STUDENTS PASS THE AP EXAMS LAST YEAR!
my goodness why isn't this blaring from every local tv news station
every day!
THREE SCHOOLS IN RICHMOND COUNTY HAD ZERO STUDENTS PASS THE AP EXAMS LAST YEAR!
ZERO!

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 03/02/14 - 08:23 am
corgimom 03/02/14 - 05:49 am

“Oh, Good Lord, now an editorial about a cable news station.” CNN happens to be one of the largest cable news outlets in the world, albeit falling fast. Seriously, how can any left wing network compete with the likes of MSNBC?

Believe it or not, reliable news is essential to the health of a free society. In our system of checks and balances, it is the check for the American people, the voters.

Unfortunately, reliable news is hard to find any more. Only a handful of outlets provide it anymore. Fortunately for us, the Augusta Chronicle is one. Most just relish their role of leading the lemmings where the left wants them to go. Not reporting, but actually being part of problem, which ACES is addressing here.

But some, corgimom, are fine with so called “news” outlets being nothing more than PR organizations for left wing radicals, taking their cues from Soros funded Media Matters. As long as it fits their agendas, some will say things like “…you should ever complain that the media is biased”. And even when the government decides to step into news rooms to monitor reporting, they say things like “It's a non-story”.

teaparty
teaparty 03/02/14 - 08:30 am
If you think CNN in the

If you think CNN in the states is bias you should see what they are showing on their international program. I was in Asia during the 08 election and all you saw was speeches by Obama, very little of Hillary and almost none of McCain. That is when I stopped CNN for good.

carcraft
carcraft 03/02/14 - 08:35 am
Gadflyboy, or when guns are

Gadflyboy, or when guns are smuggled into Mexico, data on climate research is altered, the IRS officials admit targeting political groups that are critical of the president, news reporters phone lines are tapped! All non stories, correct and justly ignored so we can deal with papparazi and stars kids or some Kennedy being accused of DUI right?

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/14 - 08:43 am
I miss Larry King

P Morgan was the worst guy to replace King.....in the past I always watched the 9pm L King show...but with Morgan, I avoided it as much as possible..what a complete JERK.

The ratings have gone down & it shows with the programming. I did like Cooper but now he is leaning to the side tooo much.
I'm surprised the Reps even show up on the station anymore.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/02/14 - 10:14 am
CNN...what can I say? 25

CNN...what can I say? 25 years ago I watched them religiously. Then they signed on with the Democrat National Committee and fell totally to the left. And they were not just satisfied to promote the left wing agenda. Their broadcasters actually became vicious anti-conservative attack dogs. They attacked conservatives and ridiculed them as being stupid throwbacks. Well, I am not stupid. In fact, the conservative point of view on Obama's policies and programs is being proven to be 100% correct. I think the viewer ratings speak for themselves and I hope that translates into votes in November being that Obama's policies from health care, job creation, the economy, to foreign policy have failed miserably. Obama is a 100% ZERO and the Republicans have been 100% right about the results of Obama's policies.

jimmymac
jimmymac 03/02/14 - 10:32 am
CNN

During the Iraq war CNN was the most watched news station on cable. They need to examine why they fallen so far. It could be that instead of reporting news they've become the political mouthpiece of all things liberal. Nearly every anchor and commentator gets their talking points from the democratic party play book. The proof is in the pudding and it shows that the public wants an honest reporting of the news. Fox provides the closest thing to that and that's why their viewership has soared and MSNBC & CNN are tanking.

carcraft
carcraft 03/02/14 - 10:45 am
Dichotomy , you are correct.

Dichotomy , you are correct. The damage Obama has done to America is incalculable . The Harry "manufactured horror stores about Obama care " Reid isn't any better. Isn't it interesting how Obama' s mother having to fight insurance companies for her health was covered by the lame stream. The story was false, but actual real Americans losing their health care , not so much of a story!

stuaby
stuaby 03/02/14 - 11:11 am
"...fair-minded

"...fair-minded liberals..."

Are there such? Just askin'.

Darby
Darby 03/02/14 - 11:23 am
The cream will always rise to the top.

On the other hand, the sludge will always settle to the bottom.

Putting forward a false narrative, then repeating it incessantly day after day, year after year can be effective and dangerous to true freedom. You must have faith that sooner or later, people will wake up to become aware of the truth.

I'm optimistic enough to think that day may come sooner than we might have imagined.

Darby
Darby 03/02/14 - 11:53 am
Not to nit-pick but some folks don't seem to know

the difference between a television "station" and a television network. CNN is a network, last time I checked.

Noticed recently that OzBama has the same problem. He repeatedly refers to Fox News as a "television station".

Not quite the same thing, I guess as confusing the Marine Corps for the Marine "Corpse" I guess.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/14 - 12:04 pm
Yeh--that is nit picking!

I'm from the oldie group--we still go to "picture shows".

localguy55
localguy55 03/02/14 - 12:50 pm
Wow! ! ! Facts mean very

Wow! ! ! Facts mean very little to liberals. Put it right in front of their faces and they look the other way as if it does not exit.

Liberal bias is rampant in the main stream media and cable shows such as MSNBC, and CNN, yet liberals refuse to acknowledge it. What will it take for liberals to just acknowledge this fact?

Fox leans conservative but will allow liberals into the debate. They are allowed to speak their mind and lay out any argument for the liberal side. Most of the time their argument does not stand up to scrutiny, but they are not berated for their idealism.

However, on the flip side, liberals demean, lambaste, and outright insult conservatives at every opportunity. Their rhetoric is reminiscent of Nazi propaganda against the Jews, that engulfed Germany in the mid. 1930s.

And they call themselves the (party) of the tolerant. Don't make me laugh.....

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/02/14 - 01:38 pm
Humble Angela

Does anyone know if HA is still commenting?? If you know, please put your answer here.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/02/14 - 01:38 pm
I guess some of you guys watch CNN and MSNBC for laughs

because from what I hear they are unbelievable. I don't even go there. Fox News for me. "Fair and balanced." Plus they have the prettiest females! :)

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/02/14 - 01:48 pm
The female CNN correspondent

The female CNN correspondent who mentioned the Son of God and called Jesus "sexy" has to be the most clueless individual on earth and by example is making women seem mindless. I was just stunned how tasteless, lack of tact, and just how clueless this mindless moron must be. Like really, really? I am sure she met it as a jab, but she missed and smacked herself dumb.

KSL
KSL 03/02/14 - 01:52 pm
Seenit, I am so with you.I

Seenit, I am so with you.I went to the " picture show" to see the Creature From the Black Lagoon. I paid 15 cents to get in. I still say picture show. I guess that is why we don't ever go. That and the inflation of the cost.

billcass
billcass 03/02/14 - 02:09 pm
CNN and Fox

are two sides of the same coin. Yes, CNN has a very liberal slant. But Fox has a very conservative slant. I don't think anyone can really think Fox is any more "fair and balanced" then CNN.

dahreese
dahreese 03/02/14 - 02:13 pm
If one can understand the

If one can understand the bias of this newspaper and still go along with it, one is in bad shape.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/02/14 - 02:33 pm
Actually MSNBC was always

Actually MSNBC was always left, Fox was always right, and CNN was in the middle but boy they took a "left" turn. Get it. LOL

KSL
KSL 03/02/14 - 02:37 pm
Well I can.

Well I can.

willie7
willie7 03/02/14 - 03:36 pm

Thank you billcass for your blog---at least you have the capacity to rationalize the discussion.

SoS
SoS 03/02/14 - 03:50 pm
...and Everything Nice!

Gee, I thought Liberals were the de facto Lovers of HumanKind... and their Utopia vision one of Love, Love, Love!

carcraft
carcraft 03/02/14 - 04:31 pm
T3, I think Humble got the

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/02/14 - 04:31 pm
STUABY @ 11:11

"
"...fair-minded liberals..."

Are there such? Just askin'."

I am a moderate liberal, and I see myself as a fair-minded person. If conservatives and liberals don't have a fair-mind then we whinde up with the Washington that most voters hate!! We ( ALL MUST HAVE A FAIR_MIND if we are going to get rid of this debilitating government!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/02/14 - 04:38 pm
carcraft @ 4:31

"
T3, I think Humble got the boot or pulled herself off. Not sure what went on, where have you been?"

I want to thank you and KSL for asking about me!! I don't know "just how back I am", but today has been nice, other than for missing HA! I know how VERY MUCH she likes to get on here and comment / debate others!! I just hope she is OK and will be back very soon!! Thanks again!!!!

owensjef3
owensjef3 03/02/14 - 04:49 pm
She's still here, under a new

She's still here, under a new name, I let you guess which one she is

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.