Remembering the invasion

Beatles' cultural influence resonates strongly 50 years later

Most pop-culture fads have the shelf life of milk.

The Beatles far transcended that.

Sunday marked the 50th anniversary of the British rock group, with its mop-topped musicians, premiering on The Ed Sullivan Show before a TV audience of 73 million people. That was 60 percent of America’s televisions.

Today, we have the luxury of looking through the lens of history to consider the full impact of the Beatles’ U.S. premiere. The Fab Four created a new template for American pop music. Hundreds of millions of their records have been sold. And we likely would run out of paper and ink before we could publish a full list of all the musical groups that claimed the Beatles as an influence.

So it’s easier to excuse the reactions of many people 50 years ago when confronted by the first wave of the British invasion.

An Augusta Chronicle sports writer wrote in our Feb. 12, 1964, edition about pre-game festivities at a Butler-Aquinas high school basketball game. Here’s how he started one sentence: “While a record player blared the music (?) of the Beatles ... ”

And this: “For parents and teenagers, life seems to be a series of fads brought home by their offspring,” an Associated Press writer wrote in The Chronicle on Feb. 11, 1964. “Perhaps they can take heart from one of the Beatles’ hit tunes – It Won’t Be Long.”

People said the horseless carriage was a fad, too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/11/14 - 07:26 am
Just a Fad We Remember

Apologies to our local Beatles tribute band, but I rate the Beatles' music up there with the Hula Hoop. It was a fad with little lasting, original music. We remember the excitement of the fad, not the music.

teaparty
teaparty 02/11/14 - 09:42 am
Riverman, I agree 100%

Riverman, I agree 100%

dahreese
dahreese 02/11/14 - 11:52 am
"...the Beatles' music...was

"...the Beatles' music...was a fad with little lasting, original music. We remember the excitement of the fad, not the music."

Really?

Interesting how that "fad" is played by major symphony orchestras all over the world.

But then, when you two can't comprehend the difference between an editorial and a piece of editorial propaganda published by the AC, your understanding is, well, understandable.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/11/14 - 12:23 pm
dahreese
dahreese 02/11/14 - 12:42 pm
Oh, one other thing; The

Oh, one other thing;

The editorial is an acknowledgement of an error.

"People said the horseless carriage was a fad, too."

jimmymac
jimmymac 02/11/14 - 04:39 pm
BEATLES

The Beatles were the most over hyped group in history. The girls loved them but the music was not that great. I agree with Riverman! I'll take the Stones any day over the mop tops!

teaparty
teaparty 02/11/14 - 07:56 pm
I was not crazy about their

I was not crazy about their music

stuaby
stuaby 02/11/14 - 08:32 pm
...the Hula hoop! Haaa!

...the Hula hoop! Haaa! Riverman1, you ARE the man. Let me buy you a beer or something.

stuaby
stuaby 02/11/14 - 09:45 pm
For anyone who would like a

For anyone who would like a little Beatles decompression:

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/12/14 - 06:37 pm
For all the Beatles fans..

Something in the way she moves
Attracts me like no other lover
Something in the way she woos me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how

Somewhere in her smile she knows
That I don't need no other lover
Something in her style that shows me, yeah
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how

You're asking me, will my love grow?
I don't know, I don't know
You stick around now it may show
I don't know, I don't know

To each his own...as with everything!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/13/14 - 08:54 am
You two

Should have a radio show together..:)