Bottom line

Georgia lawmakers should be applauded for their foresight in proposing regulations on the use of military-style surveillance drones by police and other governmental agencies.

Bills under consideration in the General Assembly would prohibit manned or unmanned aircraft from flying within 100 feet above the surface of a property for surveillance without a search warrant or permission of the property owner.

Thirteen states have passed similar drone legislation and several others are, like Georgia, establishing guidelines that protect the privacy rights of citizens as well as regulate the use of unmanned aerial vehicles – which could evolve into valuable tools for farmers, researchers and even law enforcement agencies.

With government and commercial use of this developing technology sure to expand, we are glad Georgia legislators are being proactive instead of reactive.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/06/14 - 08:14 am
Just Try Hovering Above My Property

If a drone is hovering 101 ft above my property for awhile, I'm going to employ anti-aircraft fire worthy of a battery of SAM missiles.

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 02/06/14 - 09:42 am
Good one Riverman1

See below

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 02/06/14 - 09:40 am
I'm working on a drone of my own.

An anti-drone drone, that will patrol the perimeter of my property, take pics of intruder drones, shoot them down, then send me an email about it.

Then to work on protecting my email.

I'm glad to hear that legislators are taking this serious and are working on it!

corgimom
corgimom 02/06/14 - 09:52 am
If a drone hovers over my

teaparty
teaparty 02/06/14 - 10:11 am
" If a drone hovers over my

" If a drone hovers over my property, the most exciting thing they will see is my dogs barking at a cat or a squirrel."
corgi, so it is ok to invade your property without a search warrant?

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/06/14 - 10:16 am
I don't want hovering

I don't care if I am just cutting my toe nails..I don't want a drone hovering over MY property...no way Hosea.

dahreese
dahreese 02/06/14 - 02:56 pm
This is so comical; "so it is

@teaparty; This is so comical; "so it is ok to invade your property without a search warrant?"

Just a few months ago you conservatives on here were saying "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about."

"Sen. Lindsey Graham said Thursday that he is “glad” that the National Security Agency is collecting millions of telephone records — including his own — from one of the nation’s largest telecommunications companies in an attempt to combat terrorism.

"Mr. Graham said that he is a Verizon customer and has no problem with the company turning over records to the government if it helps it do its job. The South Carolina Republican said that people who have done nothing wrong have nothing to worry about because the NSA is mining the phone records for people with suspected ties to terrorism.

“We are very much under threat. Radical Islam is on the rise throughout the region. Homegrown terrorism is one of my biggest concerns. It is happening in our own backyard, and I am glad that NSA is trying to find out what terrorists are up to overseas and inside the country,” Mr. Graham said during an appearance on “Fox and Friends.”

Could it be you conservatives on here are beginning to wonder just who the enemy is?

And just maybe Sen. Grahamn and FOX are full of themselves?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 02/06/14 - 08:21 pm
I don't want no stenkin'

I don't want no stenkin' drone hovering over my house.... send the Queen!