What freedoms will be left?

Birth control issue will be powerful test of Americans' rights

This may be the year our First Amendment sees its most serious threat.

The Affordable Care Act now requires big employers to provide birth control as part of health insurance coverage, irrespective of the employers’ religious beliefs on the matter.

Many have religious beliefs that consider either contraception or the morning-after pill morally wrong and abhorrent to the conscience. The government is nonetheless ordering them to arrange for it and, in many cases, even subsidize it.

Hobby Lobby has famously challenged the mandate in an ongoing lawsuit. But it wasn’t until New Year’s Eve that the U.S. Supreme Court took action to temporarily block that portion of the law.

Remarkably it was liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor who issued the stay – though, notably, only until Friday, when the Obama administration was ordered to make its case for the mandate.

She appears to have had little choice but to issue the emergency order. And, indeed, given an opportunity to protect Hobby Lobby with a similar reprieve in December 2012, Sotomayor passed on it.

A vital tenet of religious freedom is at stake. Can the government force Americans to participate in activities that are of the highest moral repugnance to them and their religious views?

And if it can, what freedom is truly left?

The current case, involving the Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged in Denver, provides a stark background for the question. How can nuns be ordered to provide birth control in a free country?

But truly, the impact of this debate is sweeping. Dozens of lawsuits have been filed by the intrepid, and many more thousands of Americans not directly involved in the legal cases will have their rights either affirmed or trimmed.

The politics of the mandate are quite interesting, too – that is to say, hypocritical. Those of the same political ideology that once bitterly protected conscientious objectors during the Vietnam War would now deny the same right to conservatives who object to tampering with (and ending) embryonic life.

It also puts the religious between a rock and a hard place: Which one are they to obey, man’s law or God’s?

Those folks are normally assiduously law-abiding. But unless the court steps in to protect their fundamental religious rights on a more permanent basis, they may be tempted to resort to “nullification” – the act of singularly nullifying laws they find unlivable.

How many people, for instance, will ignore the requirement to buy insurance?

If so, they’ll have company in high places. As we noted in an editorial nearly a year ago, the Democratic-led U.S. Senate ignored its duty to pass a budget for the entire first Obama term, and the Obama administration has unilaterally and openly ignored provisions of immigration law, the Defense of Marriage Act, drug laws and more – and even encouraged defense contractors to ignore laws requiring layoff notices in advance of “sequestration” cuts.

“Nullification has rarely seen this much favor since the Civil War,” we wrote last January, “and may only gain steam if Washington continues down the path of trying to run everyone’s lives.”

Unless the courts step in, that may only be truer this year than last.

harley_52
harley_52 01/06/14 - 08:19 pm
Carcraft...

You understand that wages are relative, many don't. Whether a worker makes fifteen dollars per hour, or fifty cents per hour, isn't necessarily important because the cost of living in different societies isn't the same, but, perhaps even more importantly, neither are workers' expectations.

Citizens of some societies either work, or they don't eat. Work, or they don't have a place to live, don't have a car, don't get health care, on and on, and on. In America, we pay people to NOT work. We also provide those non-workers housing, food, transportation, and spending money. We don't just pay them to support a meager lifestyle, we pay them better than many workers are paid.

Corporations are in business to attract capital for the purpose of running the corporation and providing a return to investors sufficient to keep investors investing. That's the way it is. And it's that system that made America the most successful nation the world has ever seen.

That success has been achieved in spite of everything "progressives" have done to stop it.

KSL
KSL 01/06/14 - 08:23 pm
Well

Maybe all of the time.

carcraft
carcraft 01/06/14 - 08:23 pm
Mrenee, absolutely and if

Mrenee, absolutely and if you don't like the terms of employment don't work there. Many businesses are raising the cost of insurance for employees with what are percieved as unhealthy life styles. Kids used to be encouraged to drink milk for strong bones. Well that isn't true so what other "health facts " aren't true?

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/06/14 - 08:24 pm
mrenee, bariatric surgery

mrenee, bariatric surgery isn't covered by most insurance and if it is, there is a long lengthly process to get approval. It definitely won't be covered by Obamacare. As for lung cancer, there has been known cases of someone developing lung cancer whom have never smoked a day in their life. How do you distinguish the cause, when to cover and when not to?

Totally different circumstances than the coverage for birth control.

KSL
KSL 01/06/14 - 08:37 pm
Cirrhosis of the liver, too.

Cirrhosis of the liver, too.

carcraft
carcraft 01/06/14 - 08:37 pm
Harley, I understand that.

Harley, I understand that. The problem is the world Dahreese is mourning doesn't exist any more. The demise is related as much to government regulation as greedy corporations. Take Obama's war on coal. Because of the increased cost of complying with new EPA CO2 regulations Georgia power found it was cheaper to close several coal fired plants than the decrease the emissions or convert to another fuel. In some of these rural areas the plants were the largest best paying employer in the area. The economic impact on those regions is horrible, oh well gotta stop global warming.

KSL
KSL 01/06/14 - 08:57 pm
The non- existent man-made

The non- existent man-made warming is taking its toll. Or better stated, the progressive opportunistic people and the totally brainwashed/uneducated have bought into this farce.

dahreese
dahreese 01/06/14 - 09:02 pm
"Progressives" don't

"Progressives" don't understand the real world....."

That's a dodge and you know it.

That attitude is also one of the reasons I left Christianity.

So you approve of corporate greed?

You know for a fact that you are not in the top one percent and nowhere close nor will you ever be unless you win a big lottery.

Nor any other conservative on here (or progressive).

The top one percent get more moral support for their greed from the bottom twenty percent - who don't have sense enough that they (and you) are only "pawns in their game" - than any other monetary level.

By the way, where did y'all get bob0142?

Y'all that desperate for a spoke person?

bob0142
bob0142 01/06/14 - 09:20 pm
Nobody "got me" dahreese, and

Nobody "got me" dahreese, and my opinions and rights are as precious as yours. Don't forget that

KSL
KSL 01/06/14 - 09:53 pm
Dah, you don't know a damned

Dah, you don't know a damned thing about me and my wealth or knowledge, or that of the rest of us. I have a mind to report your insults. Your comments were well less than respectful. Truthfully, though, it is not worth the effort.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/06/14 - 09:48 pm
(dahreese) "That attitude is

(dahreese) "That attitude is also one of the reasons I left Christianity"

No sir, you left Christianity because you did not want to submit to the Lord's will. Nothing more, nothing less. You can make all the excuses you like, call it whatever you want, but when it all boils down to it, it's nothing but the influence of Satan and sin.

bob0142
bob0142 01/06/14 - 09:51 pm
I agree KSL, liberals seem to

I agree KSL, liberals seem to want free reign to insult conservatives in any way they see fit but are the first to cry foul when it comes back at them. I don't know much about Dah but there is another in here that is bad about that. I will not mention her name, she would no doubt go crying to the staff

carcraft
carcraft 01/06/14 - 09:56 pm
Dahreese, you still haven' t

Dahreese, you still haven' t responded to ANY of the points I've raised. Just trundling along in your own liberal delusion huh?

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 10:04 pm
Carcraft, people work at

Carcraft, people work at Chic-fil-et on Sundays?

They do?

Because as far as I know, they are all closed on Sunday.

But I haven't been there in several years, so I'm sure that you know more about that then I do.

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 10:08 pm
Bariatric surgery isn't

Bariatric surgery isn't covered under most insurance policies?

Well, the things you learn on here.

The only person that I've ever heard of that didn't have coverage was Betty Beard's friend who needed $25,000- which was one of the biggest whoppers that I've ever heard.

carcraft
carcraft 01/06/14 - 10:11 pm
Dang auto correct, you are

Dang auto correct, you are correct , Chic Fila is closed on Sunday FOR RELIGIOUS reasons. Is this allowable by a corporation because it forces the owners religious preferences on employees ?

dahreese
dahreese 01/06/14 - 10:13 pm
" I have a mind to report

" I have a mind to report your insults."

Go for it. It won't be the first time.

The fact IS not a single person on here, myself included, is anywhere near the top one percent and never will be, you included.

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 10:15 pm
Many businesses are closed on

Many businesses are closed on Sundays, carcraft, I don't understand your point.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/06/14 - 10:15 pm
(carcraft) "Should Chic Fila

(carcraft) "Should Chic Fila be forced to be open on Sunday? "
"Perhaps the government needs to force Chic fila to be open on Sunday huh?"

Did you miss something in the translation Corgimom?

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 10:16 pm
Cirrhosis of the liver is

Cirrhosis of the liver is most certainly covered under insurance policies. Contrary to what some believe, cirrhosis of the liver may be caused by other factors than drinking.

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 10:18 pm
Here's a list of what causes

Here's a list of what causes cirrhosis:

"There are many causes of cirrhosis including chemicals (such as alcohol, fat, and certain medications), viruses, toxic metals (such as iron and copper that accumulate in the liver as a result of genetic diseases), and autoimmune liver disease in which the body's immune system attacks the liver."

dahreese
dahreese 01/06/14 - 10:25 pm
There’s no disputing the

There’s no disputing the economy has dropped during the Obama administration; just as there is no disputing it began under the GWB administraton.

Obama inherited the GWB administrations financial mistakes.

And war mistakes.

And there us no denying that McConnell made it clear from day one that Republicans intended to make Obam look so bad he would not be re-elected to a second term.

Simply because something is good for Wall Street doesn’t mean it’s good for America.

It’s quite evident on here every day that conservatives are well trained to support the top one percent while blaming those who have less because they themselves do not have more

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/06/14 - 10:26 pm
(Corgimom) "That used to be

(Corgimom) "That used to be the case many years ago, but as far as I knew, it's an accepted procedure now. I've known several people that has had it done, and they were covered. "

Corgimom, do you only read half the comments? Evidently you do because if you had noticed I also said "and if it is, there is a long lengthly process to get approval. "

Most Aetna HMO and QPOS plans exclude coverage of surgical operations, procedures or treatment of obesity unless approved by Aetna....quote taken from Aetna website

United Health care covers Bariatric surgery, as a primary treatment for weight loss is proven for the following (did not copy whole list of requirements). But requirements are needed to be met before coverage.

In order to provide coverage for their employees, companies must purchase a “rider” for weight-loss (bariatric) surgery coverage. Not all employers carry this.

So Corgimom, against your opinion that you are always right and always know everything.....seems you are mistaken this time.

dahreese
dahreese 01/06/14 - 10:27 pm
@MyFather; What ‘god’ thinks

@MyFather; What ‘god’ thinks about what I do is ‘his’ problem.

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 10:28 pm
Just so that all of you know,

Just so that all of you know, bob0142 plagiarized his entire 8:38 post.

Too bad he isn't honest enough to admit it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/06/14 - 10:33 pm
Did that make you feel better

Did that make you feel better Corgimom? What foolish antics and you want to lecture others on seventh grade behavior?

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 10:36 pm
Well, ICL, perhaps you should

Well, ICL, perhaps you should be aware that all insurance companies require preapproval of surgeries- and bariatric surgery is no exception. Even in emergency cases, the insurance company must be notified within 24 hours or they can deny coverage.

There are several types of surgeries that need specialized approval, bariatric surgery is just one of many.

I am aware of this, perhaps you are not.

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 10:42 pm
ICL, I gotta say, your posts

ICL, I gotta say, your posts to me don't seem too Christian tonight.

Too bad that you have issues with people that don't aqree with you. It's ok with me if you disagree with me, but I know that some people are really bothered by anybody that doesn't think they way they do. As long as you're happy being like that, that's ok with me.

I don't know what "foolish antics" you are referring to, since you didn't specify, but I won't waste any sleep wondering.

This is exactly what I was talking about earlier, people who take this blog way too seriously. It's sad.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/06/14 - 10:41 pm
Yes I'm well aware of it

Yes I'm well aware of it since I stated in my original comment "and if it is, there is a long lengthly process to get approval. "

Yes some surgeries need pre-approval but with bariatric surgery there are additional requirements that have to be met before surgery can be approved.

As always you ignored half my comment.

corgimom
corgimom 01/06/14 - 10:46 pm
Yes, ICL, there are

Yes, ICL, there are additional requirements that need to be met. There are several types of surgeries that require additional requirements to be met. I don't quite understand your emphasis on that, but ok.

Since you say that some surgeries need pre-approval- meaning other surguries don't- I'll take your word for it, I've never seen any insurance company that allows surgeries without approvals. Perhaps you have different insurance than most.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...