A new level of shame

Stopping death benefits for military families is beneath contempt

We’ve had some low points in this country since the Civil War. The Great Depression. World Wars. The turbulence of the 1960s. Watergate. A president defiling the Oval Office with an intern.

But a new low may have been reached this week when a dysfunctional federal government stopped paying death benefits to the families of fallen troops.

Some 26 families have been denied the benefits – $100,000, plus travel costs – since the
government shutdown started Oct. 1.

We can’t think of anything lower than denying benefits to troops killed in the line of duty, either in war zones or here at home. But that’s what our government has done.

A temporary fix emerged this week when the private nonprofit Fisher House Foundation agreed to cover the benefits until the government can.

But even that is an insult – the supposed mightiest nation on Earth relying on a charity to uphold its most sacred obligations to its fallen troops.

This whole government shutdown has been shameful. But not paying benefits to families of fallen troops is beyond contemptible.

Though House Republicans misguidedly instigated this shutdown, it’s the Executive Branch that has been tasked with carrying it out. The buck stops there.

“This was a voluntary act on the part of the administration,” said Jonah Goldberg, editor-at-large of National Review online.

The House quickly passed a bill to restore the benefits, if belatedly, though Democrats in the Senate initially showed little interest in following suit.

No one has distinguished themselves in this whole affair – except the very troops whose families the government has forsaken.

myfather15
myfather15 10/11/13 - 05:53 pm
Truth doesn't matter

What exactly were you addressing about my faith? Why did you feel the need to bring my faith into this conversation? Obviously, your and mine ideas of faith, greatly differ!! I do NOT believe just because I'm a person of faith, I have to be a doormat for people to wipe their feet upon!! I also realize there is an appropriate time for kindness and compassion and there IS an appropriate time for aggression, fighting and war!!

My point is, you stated you were concerned about someone who would say that, and I said I couldn't care less what you are concerned about; and I stick to it.

If the founding fathers and patriots that fought the War of Independance, would have had the attitude of the left today; we would stil be under Brittan's rule!! According to THEM, there is no time to STAND and FIGHT!! I disagree completely and so did the founding fathers!!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 10/11/13 - 05:59 pm
@myfather You have shared

@myfather
You have shared many times that you are a Christian and so am I.
I have often extended words of encouragement to those of like faith.
Again, I apologize to you and will never address you again.

cparker
cparker 10/11/13 - 06:56 pm
myfather15 @ 549pm

I have given you plenty of examples of Republicans undermining the poor. You willfully ignore truths to satisfy your Republican fairytale. Are you calling me a liar because I said Republicans voted against free lunch while voting to increase farm subsidy to wealthy farmers? Is it not true that at this very moment Republicans oppose health insurance for over 20 million people? Better yet, you tell me what I lied about so I can help bring you to knowledge of truth right here among your Republicans friends. How dare you act like the media is liberal as though you are not partially brainwashed by Fox News Channel. Its people just like you that spin the smallest but provable facts to maintain your fairytale. The truth never changes and that make it easy to defend against people that willfully turn a blind eye to it. No matter when you choose to turn around again and face it, it will still be the same!! I will agree with you about one thing you said. Republicans do a better job of trying to trim the fat of wasteful spending, but the problem is they do it on the backs of the poorest people. If you believe subsidizing food, housing, and healthcare for the poor is wrong you should have said you oppose all subsidies.

carcraft
carcraft 10/12/13 - 06:33 am
Cparker, the Congressional

Cparker, the Congressional budget office states that AFTER the affordable care act is FULLY implemented there will STILL be 30 million with out insurance. Mean while the ACA has cost people jobs, decreased benefits, increased premiums, increased co pays for the young just starting out. Yes this is the compassion of liberals at thier best! Funny you still haven't condemned Reid and Sibilious's "compassion"!

cparker
cparker 10/11/13 - 07:05 pm
chacushman @ 252pm

Thank you for joining the team. I appreciate your participation in HATE 101 for today and your contribution is note worthy.

chascushman
chascushman 10/11/13 - 07:15 pm
"I appreciate your

"I appreciate your participation in HATE 101 for today"
cparker, sorry to disappoint you but I don't hate anyone. It is very sad that black people do not realize what the liberals, democrats and black leaders are doing to black families.

carcraft
carcraft 10/11/13 - 08:00 pm
Should read Reid not feuds

Should read Reid not feuds

myfather15
myfather15 10/12/13 - 05:33 am
Cparker

You stated "Better yet, you tell me what I lied about so I can help bring you to knowledge of truth right here among your Republicans friends."

Ok, first of all; I've already SPECIFICALLY told you what you lied about!! Go back and read my 5:24 pm comment again and you SHOULD clearly see it. I also asked you a specific question, to give us a specific EXAMPLE, just ONE; of any republican saying the poor or needy, should get nothing!! Because THAT was your allegation; that the republicans hate the poor and needy and want them to get nothing, and THIS is exactly what you were lying about.

Then I asked you to provide a specific example and then you say "I have given you plenty of examples of Republicans undermining the poor. You willfully ignore truths to satisfy your Republican fairytale."

You do realize, saying that you answered a question, isn't actually answering the question, right? I asked you to provide a specific example of a republican saying the poor or needy should get nothing. Because I would like to see it and if I see it, I will attack that republican whole heartedly!! But, instead of giving me an example, you avoid addressing my specific question, my saying you've already given examples, which you HAVE NOT!!! The only thing you've done is SAY they've done these things. An individual SAYING they've done something is NOT an example. An example would be looking up the story and sharing the link of EXACTLY what they did. Sorry, but I just don't believe YOU or any other person blindly!! You do know you are on the information super highway, right now? It wouldn't take that long to google, copy and paste!!

So, once again; I will make this clear. YOU stated republicans want the poor and needy to get NOTHING. I would like you to provide evidence of that allegation, besides saying "They don't want to help the poor." Because saying something, without any evidence is the typical liberal philosphy, straight from Saul Alinsky!!! Saul understood that you don't have to prove you allegation, you just have to make it and let people hear you make it. Many people are judgemental by nature and many will automatically assume a person is guilty of the allegations.

myfather15
myfather15 10/12/13 - 05:38 am
Cparker

Ooooh, by the way; all those evil things the republicans did to undermine the poor, like the farm subsidies; you do realize the democrats and Obama not only continued them, they increased them!!! Where is the outrage?? Where is the outrage about Obama lying about ending the Wars in his FIRST year in office? Where is the outrage about Obama not closing Gitmo as promise? Where is the outrage over a single LIE this man has told?

There is NONE!!! You guys can't find it in your stomach to criticize this man!! That would be like me criticizing Jesus Christ; and that isn't going to happen. I criticized many things George W. Bush did and I'm not afraid to do so to ANY republican. But you guys can't do it, not with the Obamasiah!!

carcraft
carcraft 10/12/13 - 06:35 am
Myfather15, Funny but I

Myfather15, Funny but I provided two examples of Democrats in positions of authority actually SAYING AND ON RECORD minimizing the suffering and pain of ill children being denied treatment that THEY COULD HAVE HELPED. No Response to Reid and Sibelius's statements and failure to intervene on the behalf of those Children!

myfather15
myfather15 10/12/13 - 08:27 am
You probably won't get a

You probably won't get a response!! Because to the left, it isn't about ACTUAL suffering, it's about giving the false perception that the RIGHT is evil and hate the poor and needy!! When nothing could be farther from the truth!! Conservatives are the MOST caring. We want to help others, and help them to help themselves. We WANT to lift them up and give them the piece of mind of being self reliant!! Those that are TRULY disabled; for physical reasons or mental reasons, we certainly want to provide for them.

But this TRUTH, would not bode well for the politics of the left!! They can't admit this, it would hurt them during election years!! They MUST discredit us and make us the bad guys!! They believe in a COMPLETE Nanny government and if you don't, then you hate the poor and needy!! Absolute BULL!!!

Ben Franklin once said "Once the people discover they can vote themselves money, it will herald the end of the republic."

That is the EXACT situation we are faced with today!! People are voting for those who CLAIM they will give them the most!! It doesn't even matter that the DO NOT give them anything, just the promise alone is enough to buy millions of votes. Obama has done NOTHING for the poor and needy, yet still gets credit as a savior!! Elementary school kis are singing "Obama loves the little Children" instead of "Jesus, loves the little children." Poor peoples lives have changed exactly ZERO since he took office, but they still put out the false perception that it has changed. I work the poor areas just about every day!! I can see with my own two eyes that their lives have NOT changed!! They are still waiting on that "Obama money" to come in!!

Since the democrats DO want to herald an end to the republic; and replace it with socialism, that is exactly what they are doing!! They are promising the people EVERYTHING to get their votes. They are promising eventual wealth redistribution, the end of private property, more and more regulation on business, more regulation on vehicle emissions, oil and coal industries; health services and many more. Is there ANYTHING the government doesn't already control? And they do all this in the "Best interest of the public". Really?

They actually ARE promising a complete nanny state to the poor and needy, and who wouldn't vote for that? The poor and needy certainly aren't going to vote against it, even if it's THEIR OWN FAULT they are poor and needy!! There are millions of perfectly healthy, capable human beings, who are just to sorry to work!! THEY are the ones voting for this complete nanny state!! Because the republicans ARE already taking care of those who truly deserve it, period!!

carcraft