A new level of shame

Stopping death benefits for military families is beneath contempt

We’ve had some low points in this country since the Civil War. The Great Depression. World Wars. The turbulence of the 1960s. Watergate. A president defiling the Oval Office with an intern.

But a new low may have been reached this week when a dysfunctional federal government stopped paying death benefits to the families of fallen troops.

Some 26 families have been denied the benefits – $100,000, plus travel costs – since the
government shutdown started Oct. 1.

We can’t think of anything lower than denying benefits to troops killed in the line of duty, either in war zones or here at home. But that’s what our government has done.

A temporary fix emerged this week when the private nonprofit Fisher House Foundation agreed to cover the benefits until the government can.

But even that is an insult – the supposed mightiest nation on Earth relying on a charity to uphold its most sacred obligations to its fallen troops.

This whole government shutdown has been shameful. But not paying benefits to families of fallen troops is beyond contemptible.

“This was a voluntary act on the part of the administration,” said Jonah Goldberg, editor-at-large of National Review online.

The House quickly passed a bill to restore the benefits, if belatedly, though Democrats in the Senate initially showed little interest in following suit.

No one has distinguished themselves in this whole affair – except the very troops whose families the government has forsaken.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/11/13 - 10:03 am
A bit

of wisdom I recently heard: The Tea Party is to blame for the gubmint shutdown just like the fire alarm is the cause of the fire.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/11/13 - 10:16 am
Tbledsoe I agree the

Tbledsoe I agree the insurance will make off like thieves, but you can thank Obama for unilaterally removing the maximums for out of pocket yearly health care costs that were in the law. Now the insurance companies can really make out without any limitations.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/11/13 - 10:22 am
This is a sad excuse for a

This is a sad excuse for a health care law as it doesn't address uninsured nor lower cost. Now in Georgia there is a effort to have a UK-like system for physician lawsuits-that way physicians won't have the high malpractice costs nor have to practice defensive medicine, and the doctor helps the patient fill out the forms for the error with no direct penalty. And everybody benefits with less costs. The worse effect is the IRS govt entity will now continually use its taxing ability to tax health related issues. So the only winner is the government. The ACA isn't about insuring folks or savings but about growing government power and influence and wealth.

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/11/13 - 10:37 am
Now when you get on the ACA

Now when you get on the ACA website for your health insurance remember when they ask about your voting record, as they do, then always say you voted Dem and are a progressive. That way you will be treated better than if you say Rep and conservative. What does our voting record have to do with health care insurance?????????????

grouse
grouse 10/11/13 - 10:50 am
Incredible lack of logic

"Though House Republicans misguidedly instigated this shutdown, it’s the Executive Branch that has been tasked with carrying it out. The buck stops there." Just incredible. "Though the hostage-taker misguidedly instigated this situation, it's the police who has been tasked with carrying it out. The buck stops there."

carcraft
carcraft 10/11/13 - 10:57 am
Funny liberal thinking

It is humerous that liberals think to health care bill has nothing to do with the debt ceiling! The Affordable care act makes a bunch of assumptions. A lot of young people will buy expensive insurance. The health care law will only cost $900 billion over 10 years. There are estimates that now double that cost adding about $90 billion a year to our deficit!

KSL
KSL 10/11/13 - 11:03 am
@ myfather 7:07

jack234 has yet to post a meaningful comment. All he does is tell us he is an independent who supports 0. That is my zero, not his. His train has been parked, so we have not had to experience the incessant tooting.

Nor have we had to read where in DC he was going to eat.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/11/13 - 11:59 am
Missing ALL OF the fire works

HA IS REALLY ready for debating over at the LTE!! I can not keep up!!

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/11/13 - 12:24 pm
You walk in a McDonald's and

You walk in a McDonald's and they ask how may they serve you. Now let's imagine it takes them an hour to ring up your order, then you wait another three hours for your service. That's the equivalent of the ACA website. "Proves" my point the govt is too incompetent to handle this job. Would the McDonald's stay in business well hell no, but will the govt entity-yes forever. Govt in action. Course without that subsidy that "happy meal" will be thirty five dollar please.

myfather15
myfather15 10/11/13 - 12:39 pm
t3bledsoe

My problem is NOT the partial government shut down!! My problem is that when you are cutting a steak, you trim the FAT, not the lean juicy meat!! There is PLENTY, I repeat PLENTY of fat that could be trimmed by the governement, instead of denying benefits to the families of WARRIORS, who made the ultimate sacrifice for THIS COUNTRY!!!

This doesn't take rocekt science, it's common sense!!

But Obama and his minions don't want to cut FAT, they WANT it to hurt as much as humanly possible!! Even federal employees are being told to make the cuts hurt as much as possible!!

I swear if Chuch Hagel was in front of me right now, I would be going to jail!!

KSL
KSL 10/11/13 - 12:59 pm
I would bail you out!

I would bail you out!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/11/13 - 01:20 pm
Just sayin'

I just believe that ALL of this is due to the shut-down that is still being rightfullu blamed on BOTH parties. Fear not, The Dems. will cave a lot and The Repubs. will cave a little, and it will ALL be over except the hurt that was done to the little people.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 10/11/13 - 01:48 pm
"it takes them an hour to

"it takes them an hour to ring up your order, then you wait another three hours for your service. That's the equivalent of the ACA website."

You may not get sympathizers around this area since some people camped out for a week (more or less) to get concert tickets recently. People can do with there time as they please and I make no criticism but simply an observation.

Many voters in Fla and some other red states stood in line EIGHT hours to vote last November. They got no sympathy from their conservative friends who now are up in arms about a web site that needs tweaking, and will no doubt need it for a while.

At least the administration is trying to make improvements on the system, whereas some red state governors are intentionally making it harder for some people to vote.

Some people in Fla wished they had only waited 3 hours to vote!
A lack of concern for those people's time is interesting.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 10/11/13 - 01:54 pm
"I swear if Chuch Hagel was

"I swear if Chuch Hagel was in front of me right now, I would be going to jail!!"

Take a few days off from the media. It is not worth losing self-control.

Be well.

cparker
cparker 10/11/13 - 02:07 pm
Just the messenger!!

You can argue my logic, but the truth is rather stubborn because it doesn't change for anyone. There is something evil going on when the poorest people in the country are convinced they have the same political interests as the wealthiest. I won't say it is about race because I can't prove it. Nevertheless, the person that lives in the trailer park in a $1,000 mobile home and the billionaire oil baron have what in common against the Obama administration? Help me understand the people that have nothing voting for the man that wants them to continue to have nothing? It may not be racist, but its obvious there is something evil at work here. How could the person that needs food stamps, needs housing help, and needs health insurance vote for the very people that have made it known the poor should be offered nothing? We are truly fighting against spiritual pricipalities.

fedex227
fedex227 10/11/13 - 02:33 pm
Heck, it's about time ACES ...

"This whole government shutdown has been shameful ... House Republicans misguidedly instigated this shutdown ..."

Thank goodness you have the guts not to fall back on the Republican/Fox News mantra that this is "only a 'slim'-down, not a shutdown. This is a serious situation with serious implications and possibly grave consequences for all Americans. It's time for the posturing to end and let the grownups govern.

chascushman
chascushman 10/11/13 - 02:52 pm
"You can argue my logic, but

"You can argue my logic, but the truth is rather stubborn because it doesn't change for anyone."
Mr. Parker, I agree, 'the truth is rather stubborn'. The truth is we have a lying, racist, America hating Marxist/communist in the WH. He disclaimed his mother race when he was 12. That happened after he was mentored for a couple years by Franklin Marshall Davis. Davis, from Chicago, was a racist, child molester and head of the communist party in Hawaii. I agree 'the truth is rather stubborn'.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/11/13 - 03:26 pm
Moderate politics is the way to go

There is a lot of anger about the departed soldiers' families not getting their rightfull death benefits. I am angry, BUT I don't see how this can be blamed on ANYTHING but the gov. shut-down. BOTH parties are to blame for the shut-down and the neglect to give out these benefits are because of the shut-down, PERIOD!! There is a lot of anger about the mall and national parks being closed. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that part of the normal shut-down proceedures? As for closing the mall and all of the monuments in Washington, DC, I believe that is totally un-necessary! The Lincoln Memorial was defaced during normal "business" times open for ALL to visit. If The Lincoln Memorial was defaced during this time, then why on Earth close the mall and monuments to the public? People are blaming President Obama; directly; for this mall closier. If these people are correct, then; again; I say it is ALL due to the shut-down! I believe the end of the shut-down will come when The Dems. cave a lot; as usual; and The Repubs. cave a little! Then all that will be left is, if they have an ounze of responsibilty to The American public, they will at least answer as to what the hurt accomplished. As for the reason we have been told for the shut-down, Obamacare, the country is terribly divided on this issue as well!! I look forward to Obamacare because it is supposed to provide "affordable" health insurance to tens of millions of AMERICAN CITIZENS, you remember, OUR FELLOW MAN!! Doesn't it say something in The Bible about this??!! The down side, that I do agree with my opponent conservatives, is the tremendous cost factor the will most surely come with Obamacare. How can it not come with this tremendous cost factor? I have looked at the Obamacare website and I was able to get completely through the personall and financial data part of the application. With even the 60% / 40% plan, the government is going to have to "shell out" lots of money to very low income families!! YES, as an Obamacare supporter, I even have to see this tremendous "down side" of the financial cost to the national budget! To sum it up, Obamacare is the law, so we all may-as-well accept it for better or worse!

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 10/11/13 - 03:38 pm
This forum and the

This forum and the conservatives are just too dang funny. All the likes and dislikes, all the names you guys come up with for Obama, the ACA and especially for Democrats. You guys just keep it up. Republicans have blinked, 70% of Americans blame Republicans(rightly so) and all you still keep up with your tripe. Hillary will be President in 2016, and Democrats will have full control of Congress in another year. What will you do? What WILL you do!!!??? OMG!

chascushman
chascushman 10/11/13 - 04:02 pm
"Hillary will be President in

"Hillary will be President in 2016, and Democrats will have full control of Congress in another year."
GACop, you might be correct. The gov't schools have dumbed down the kids for the last 40+ years. Instead of raising the black kids up they lowered the white kids. Now the moochers outnumber the workers. But be careful what you hope for. Our federal gov't now has the same type leadership Detroit has had for 40 years. Any city where liberals/democrats are in charge goes down.

fedex227
fedex227 10/11/13 - 04:09 pm
For cripes sake Augusta Chronicle ...

"Instead of raising the black kids up they lowered the white kids."

Do we really need to be subjected to posts like these?
Come on, grow a pair.

chascushman
chascushman 10/11/13 - 04:15 pm
"Do we really need to be

"Do we really need to be subjected to posts like these? Grow a pair."
Fedex, when they integrated the schools the black kids were way behind the white kids. Instead of working to raise the black kids they lowered the standards which over time lowered the white kids. You might not like it but it is the truth. The Great Society, liberals, Democrats and black leaders have done great harm to black families.

fedex227
fedex227 10/11/13 - 04:55 pm
It's tough to watch prejudice rear it's ugly head.

It's even tougher to watch a newspaper like the chronicle allow it to flourish.

chascushman
chascushman 10/11/13 - 05:00 pm
" It's tough to watch

" It's tough to watch prejudice rear it's ugly head."
Fedex, why is telling the truth prejudice? When will the majority of black people wake up to what is being done to them? There are a lot black people that realize what has been done to them. Dr. Carson is a great example. I find it ironic that black people consider LBJ a hero when he was one of the most racist people ever. LBJ thought that black people were not capable of thinking for themselves, many on the left feel that way.

myfather15
myfather15 10/11/13 - 05:04 pm
Truth never matters

"This comment is meant to be helpful as you have often talked about your faith and work in law enforcement. I am concerned about anyone who would make the statement above."

First of all, I couldn't care less what YOU are concerned about!!! But I suppose you are equally concerned about God because He says He is NOT coming back for peace, but a sword (division) and wrath!! Want the scripture??

Second; I'm sure this doesn't sit well with you, because YOU and others like you DEPEND upon Christians to be weak, spineless and show nothing but kindness and compassion!! You want them to sit around doing nothing and being passive!! There are people and places where both kindness and compassion are needed, then there are times when it is not!!

You must be one of those who ONLY speaks of God's kindness and compassion, but NEVER mentions His wrath and anger, which He has clearly stated he has both!! I'm a WARRIOR and THAT you can put in the bank!! I didn't lose my self control, so don't worry your little head to much about that. But I certainly stick to what I said in that comment.

myfather15
myfather15 10/11/13 - 05:08 pm
Weak stomachs?? Changed the wording just for those people.

The lefts blind allegiance to their messiah is absolutely DISGUSTING!!!

With all the disgusting, VILE wasteful spending going on in Washington, they COULD certainly find better places to cut and save billions of dollars!!! THAT is a FACT you can stick in your pipe!!

The thought that ANYONE would get on here and NOT have complete support for those WARRIORS who gave their lives and their families that are suffering, makes me want to PUKE!!! I'm absolutely disgusted with people on the committed left and I just wish I could tell them what I really think about them, but I would be banned for life!! Because people are a little too sensitive to hear HARSH truth now days!!

myfather15
myfather15 10/11/13 - 05:24 pm
cparker

You claim you are the messenger, but then you LIE in your message!!

You stated "How could the person that needs food stamps, needs housing help, and needs health insurance vote for the very people that have made it known the poor should be offered nothing? We are truly fighting against spiritual pricipalities."

Can you please provide ONE example where any republican or conservative said these people should get NOTHING??

We DO NOT want to cut out assistance to those who NEED IT; that is a typical lie from the left, to make us appear uncompassionate. What we want is to cut out the massive FRAUD; with millions receiving benefits that DO NOT deserve, nor need them!! If you don't believe this is happening, you're a fool!! Every day in EVERY County, people are scaming the system for every dime they can get!! Drug addicts, alcoholics and those who are simply to darn sorry to work!! I've seen this with my own two eyes, hundreds if not thousands of times. People on welfare, food stamps, government cellphones; yet they've got their beer, vodka and bag of marijuana in their pocket!!

They can't seem to work because they've got a bad back, but they didn't have any problem crawling through a window to burglarize someone house!! THESE are the people we don't want benefits going to, NOT people who honestly need it!! Stop using compassion as a political tool!! WE have TRUE compassion, where it is suppose to be!!

Please, don't start with me about Bush's tax cuts being for the Rich!! Of course the rich got tax breaks, but SO DID I!!! I quite enjoyed his tax breaks!! Breaks I certainly have not received under Obama!! I pay more percentage in taxes now than I EVER have!! The government is bringing in record revenue through taxes, and still running up debt highter than ANY administration, EVER!!

I'm still waiting on Obama to make the poors life all better!! Because according to the government, I'm POOR!! I now have a household of 6, because I just had twins. According to the government, if you have a household of 4 and you make less than 42k a year, you are living in poverty!! I would invite you to my house; I'm certainly not living in poverty.

It's all about perception to the left, by controling the majority of the media!! While a LEFT President is in office, ALWAYS talk about how great everything is. If a republican President is in office, talk about how bad everything is. President Obama has not done a dang thing to help the poor!! If he has, please name them!! But they always report as if everything is just blissful!!

carcraft
carcraft 10/11/13 - 05:34 pm
I really got to give it to

I really got to give it to people like cparker. Argues why would people vote for the person that doesn't want to give them anything, but encourages them to vote against Mitt Romney who ACTUAL intiated a health care plan the Affordable care act is based on! They want it both ways. Then we have Democrat and Senate Leader say "what does one child matter ", we have the head of Health and Human Services Sibilious say when asked why she wouldn't allow a lung transplant for a 12 year old girl "some people live and some people die "! Yes Cparker, these are really compassionate people!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 10/11/13 - 05:41 pm
@ myfather15 I was sincere.

@ myfather15
I was sincere. You need never worry about my expressing genuine concern toward you. It was only because of your many references to your faith that I took the liberty to address this.

Pardon me!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 10/11/13 - 05:41 pm
@ myfather15 I was sincere.

@ myfather15