Not a healthy start

Obamacare's shaky beginning is nothing compared to what's ahead

Tuesday marked the first day that a key phase of Obamacare stumbled out of the gate with the task of delivering health care to millions of uninsured Americans.

Tuesday also was the first day of a federal government shutdown.

What do these events have in common? At least two things:

• They both are sterling examples of governmental bungling.

Websites nationwide providing access to the Obamacare insurance exchanges were reported down Tuesday. Those and other kinds of technological glitches will be around for “months,” President Obama said Monday.

Great.

But that’s nothing compared to the nightmare America will be saddled with for years:

• Obamacare-connected payroll tax hikes are expected to leach $210 billion more out of citizens’ pockets.

• Obamacare expects to levy $47 billion in additional taxes on drug companies and makers of medical devices. And when businesses are taxed, how do they make up that shortfall? By passing it on to customers through higher prices.

Those are just two itemized examples. All told, we’re looking at shelling out at least $500 billion in more taxes through 2019.

Obamacare also heavily cuts Medicare Advantage, Medicare’s private care option – so much so that half of its clients might not be able to keep their coverage. That’s nearly a quarter of all senior citizens.

Think your doctor can explain Obamacare to you? Good luck. In a survey taken as recently as July, two-thirds of physicians polled said they “were totally unaware of the coverage terms for patients, including cancellation and grace periods,” CNBC reported.

That’s even if your doctor sticks around. A 2012 survey found that 83 percent of physicians have considered leaving their private practices over Obamacare. And really – how many doctors do you think have changed their minds since then?

And all that just scratches the surface of Obamacare’s flaws As it slowly unfolds, the prognosis for our country does not appear promising.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 10/02/13 - 05:32 am
Can you share the source of

Can you share the source of that 2012 survey?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/02/13 - 05:42 am
8 doctors at a family wedding?

8 doctors at a family wedding? Who was minding the hospital? They may be salivating at Obamacare, but they are sure not about Medicare where hundreds of millions of dollars have been cut from what they will be paid.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 10/02/13 - 05:56 am
1st - with 48 million

1st - with 48 million Americans without healthcare insurance - there were 2.8 million visitors to the website on the FIRST day. There was so much demand to the various sites it was hard for them to keep up. That is to be expected for ANY website. When I went to the website yesterday morning I got right in.
2nd.. Doctors wouldn't necessarily be able to explain the Affordable Care Act... that is because the ACA is NOT an insurance company. Citizens can purchase policies from individual insurance companies (Blue Cross, Humana, etc)- doctor's offices are happy to tell you about them- or call the number and find out what you need to know. This article is just another example of misinformation.

carcraft
carcraft 10/02/13 - 11:39 am
I work in a hospital and

I work in a hospital and interact with scores of Doctors. They aren't salivating (may they are in a sort of pre emesis condition) .This is going to be like medicare. Doctors try to balance thier pay mix (medicade, medicare, and third party insurance) so they can get by. This adds a fourth catagory and TONS of red tape!

ymnbde
ymnbde 10/02/13 - 06:27 am
parasitic altruism

what do your subsidies and my taxes have in common?
trick question! They're the same thing!
the doctors I know, of which there are many, do not like Obamacare.
I don't think truthmatters is telling the truth, unless he means doctors of some "social or political science" and they aren't REAL doctors
"...the longer an empire is in existence, the more time the successfully sinister have to find ways to subvert the system and insert themselves into positions of power."

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/02/13 - 07:29 am
Our medicare advantage insurer no longer offers coverage in GA

Day 1 of Obamacare. Doctors offices flooded with confused and bewildered patients.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/02/13 - 07:31 am
Day 1. MD offices cannot tell you which insures they accept.

Day 1. MD offices cannot tell you which insures they accept.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/02/13 - 07:33 am
"I have set my face toward the destruction of America." B.Obama

Hail B.O Hail B.O. He has ordered all chickens be brought home.

deestafford
deestafford 10/02/13 - 07:42 am
We will suffer for decades from obamacare even if it

were repealed today. It has been a classic program of shifting power to the government and shifting money from the producers to the moochers. Look at who gets millions of dollars from the government to be "navigators"---ACORN, NAACP and those others who are copatriots on the road to socialism/communism with Obama.

Don't forget Obama saying five days before his first coronation, "We are five days away from fundamentally transforming this country!" None of the salivating lapdogs of the media ever asked him what he meant by that. Many, many of us knew what he meant and his actions have borne out our fears.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/02/13 - 09:30 am
I have not found 1, not 1,

I have not found 1, not 1, successful private practice doctor that likes Obamacare. I have heard a few bottom feeders who think they will AT LEAST GET PAID SOMETHING and that is better than the practice they have now.....but I have not talked to one successful private practice doctor that likes it.

Every doctor I have talked with feels that Obamacare will result in worse health care, less time with patients, less diagnostic testing, inadequate hospital recuperative time, and less ability to use the most advanced medications and medical procedures.

dahreese
dahreese 10/02/13 - 09:32 am
The fact is, how Americans

The fact is, how Americans feel about the Affordable Care Act depends on who's poll is being used.

And anyone who really wants to get the bigger picture needs to read more than one 'chosen to support my view' poll.

Most critics think they will never need support for catastrophic illnesses, but, I got news for you; when you do, and you will at some point, unless you're a self-insured millionaire, what are you going to do?

Think about it, and be honest to yourself with your answer. You aren't going to be young forever.

Critics above need to read more than one 'chosen' editorial in their local paper. (Here, again, we have a rant, not an editorial).

The fact is, that most Americans support the Affordable Care Act.

(Seems hard for a Republican newspaper to accept that).

carcraft
carcraft 10/02/13 - 10:53 am
You aren't going to be young for ever either!

dahreese, consider this about Obama care, more money for IRS agents, more IRS agents, creation of a very large complex bureaucracy, supposedly all designed to prove health care to 47 million more people but NOTHING to increase the number of physicians, now who is fooling who?

chascushman
chascushman 10/02/13 - 11:23 am
" I was at a family wedding

" I was at a family wedding recently and can tell you no less than 8 doctors that I know personally were salivating about the ACA."
TM, would you please list the names of those 8 doctors because I sure as h*ll do not want to go to a doctor that dumb.

chascushman
chascushman 10/02/13 - 11:30 am
"The fact is, that most

"The fact is, that most Americans support the Affordable Care Act."
dahreese, of the people I know only about 25% support it and most of them either work for the gov't or retired from the gov't. Living off the taxpayer teat does give one a different outlook.

carcraft
carcraft 10/02/13 - 11:40 am
I wonder if dahreese could

I wonder if dahreese could link one of the polls, I would love to see it.

dahreese
dahreese 10/02/13 - 11:55 am
"...most of them either work

"...most of them either work for the gov't or retired from the gov't. Living off the taxpayer teat does give one a different outlook."

Don't blame them for making a better work/economic choice than you made.

Government workers active and retired also pay taxes.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/02/13 - 11:59 am
Riverman1 @ 6:42

"Medicare where hundreds of millions of dollars have been cut from what they will be paid"

YES, I believe if Medicare keeps "getting the royal end of it", I will view this as WHAT IT IS age and disabled DISCRIMINATION!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/02/13 - 12:10 pm
editorial

"• If any aspect of either event ends in failure, the Obama administration will search for a way to pin the blame on Republicans."

The Republicans are already seeing the public is blaming them, NOT OBAMA, for the shut-down!! As for Obamacare failing, if the Republicans don't want the blame for Obamacare going south, they should cooperate to get it launched and then take a wait and see attitude!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/02/13 - 12:13 pm
editorial

"Websites nationwide providing access to the Obamacare insurance exchanges were reported down Tuesday. Those and other kinds of technological glitches will be around for “months,” President Obama said Monday"

Any intellegent voter who is computer learned is going to over-look this very temporary problem!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/02/13 - 12:21 pm
editorial

"• Obamacare expects to levy $47 billion in additional taxes on drug companies and makers of medical devices. And when businesses are taxed, how do they make up that shortfall? By passing it on to customers through higher prices"

The way I see it, these proposed taxes are viewed as similar to tarrifs. If there is ever a legitimate reason for tarrifs, then there must be a legitamate reason for raising taxes on drug companies and medical device companies. You are right about these taxes will be past on to the customers, but the law of economic compitition will ultimatly kick in to curb some of these increases!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/02/13 - 12:30 pm
editorial

"Those are just two itemized examples. All told, we’re looking at shelling out at least $500 billion in more taxes through 2019"

THIS STATEMENT, and the whole editorial, is reflective of how the biggest majority can; and quite often; does look down on the sizable minority with an aire of superiority!! I believe it can be said, WITHOUT DOUBT, The Rebublican Conservatives are MUCH< MUCH more guilty of this than Democratic Liberals!! I made this statement earlier today on one of the LTE's, not voting for Obamacare and / or not switching to socialized medicine leaves 47 million of citizens being treated without dignity by the rest of our population!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/02/13 - 12:39 pm
editorial

"Medicare’s private care option – so much so that half of its clients might not be able to keep their coverage. That’s nearly a quarter of all senior citizens"

I happen to be on one of these Medicare Advantage Plans, and; quite frankly; I view it as The US Gov. helping insurance companies to get even richer!! As a frugal citizen, "I don't believe switching to these advantage plans has saved the government not one penny!!" The purpose for this switch SHOULD HAVE BEEN to cut out some of the employment at The Soc. Sec. Admin. I would be willing to wager that didn't happen!! If the government is going to maintain a full staff at The Soc. Sec. Admin., then I say, "Do away with these COSTLY advantage plans!!"

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/02/13 - 12:44 pm
editorial

"A 2012 survey found that 83 percent of physicians have considered leaving their private practices over Obamacare"

If these drs. are going to be THAT UNCOOPERATIVE, I say "Don't let the proverbial door hit you where the sun don't shine!!" MAYBE THIS will FINALLY put US on the right road toward socialized medicine!! We liberals can only hope!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/02/13 - 12:51 pm
dahreese @ 10:32

"The fact is, that most Americans support the Affordable Care Act.

(Seems hard for a Republican newspaper to accept that)."

I AGREE about your statement with The Augusta Chronicle's editorials!! If these people were ANY MORE conservative, they would probably starch their shorts!! BUT I don't think the majority of the population likes Obamacare!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 10/02/13 - 12:58 pm
dahreese @ 12:55

"Government workers active and retired also pay taxes"

KSL
KSL 10/02/13 - 01:39 pm
bledsoe

You are 54. Why are you on Medicare?

dahreese
dahreese 10/02/13 - 02:16 pm
“This statement brings up

“This statement brings up something that I have wondered about every since my 6 years at SRS, and 2 years as a US Geological Technician. If you pay U.S. taxes on an income from The US government, isn't that sort of redundent??!!”

You’re point is well taken, but until the law was changed, I paid state taxes on my monthly income and retirement.

One of my sons worked for IRS and paid federal and state taxes on his monthly pay

chascushman
chascushman 10/02/13 - 03:30 pm
"If you chose not to work for

"If you chose not to work for the government and have a lesser income or retirement than government workers, it's you own doing."
dahreese, yeah you are correct everyone should work for gov't. An article in USA Today a while back said that US gov't employees are the highest paid 'workers', I use that term in jest, in the world, yeah living off the gov't teat not only affects ones outlook but pays very well indeed. I had chance to go to work for the gov't but chose not to. I decide I could not sit on my arse that much.

dahreese
dahreese 10/02/13 - 04:16 pm
“I decide I could not sit on

“I decide I could not sit on my arse that much."

So, you went to work for private industry, and now just look at the country!

chascushman
chascushman 10/02/13 - 04:45 pm
' So, you went to work for

' So, you went to work for private industry, and now just look at the country!"
dahreese, you are correct some of us hard working people should have worked for the gov't instead the gov't got a bunch of lazy a*s dead beats like the ones in the IRS.

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs