Breaking bad

Dems happily accept Republicans' offer to play the villain over Obamacare

Washington, the seat of power for the most powerful nation in history, is both broke and broken.

Led by a Democratic Senate that purposely and unconstitutionally chose not to pass a budget for an entire presidential term, Congress has failed utterly in its most basic duty, which is to structure the federal government’s finances. This is why we’re having a “showdown” at the end of this month; the most reviled, most maligned Congress in our lifetimes couldn’t even agree on a blueprint for spending – and must now pass a temporary “continuing resolution” to keep the lights on into October.

Pray remind us, what are we paying you gilded members of Congress for?

And, oh by the way, does anyone think they’ll have to live with the Obamacare disaster that they’ve carved out for the rest of us? So, not only have they completely failed in their most fundamental tasks, but they’re also likely to protect themselves from our health care fates.

Meanwhile, they even appear unable to simply agree on the emergency spending resolution: Led by kamikaze budget hawk Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, a large faction of Republicans apparently won’t agree to fund the government unless Democrats and President Obama agree to kill their baby, Obamacare, in its crib.

What planet do they think that will happen on?

Look, no one opposes the job-killing Obamacare more than this page. It’s actually inflating health-care costs, sometimes staggeringly – after we were promised the law would bend the cost curve downward. It’s a proven job killer, as companies nationwide are cutting back hours, and likely positions, to avoid hefty Obamacare mandates and fines. It’s also putting the IRS between us and our doctors. What could possibly go wrong there?

Still, this country re-upped for Barack Obama in 2012. In so doing, voters endorsed his disastrous health-care law – and inadvertently, perhaps, signed up for four more years of economic stagnation.

It’s a monumental, historic blunder on our part. But to repeat: This country signed up for this. What makes Ted Cruz or any other Republican think the Democrats are going to cave on this, just to avoid a government “shutdown” that will undoubtedly be blamed on the Republicans? Just about everybody but Cruz knows the last government shutdown in the 1990s was blamed squarely on Republicans, and will be this time as well.

They can argue all they want that it will actually be Obama and the Democrats shutting the government down. Technically, that will be true. But you think the public will care about technicalities when the president trots out all the schoolchildren, veterans and retirees who will be hurt, while he’s cheered on by a left-wing news media?

Not only will Republicans most likely be blamed for any government shutdown, but they also will probably make Obamacare look like an innocent victim in all of this.

Only Republicans would be stupid enough to make Obamacare smell like a rose!

All along, the “news” media will eagerly pass along the absolute fiction, perpetrated by Democrats, that there’s not a dime’s worth of fat that can be cut from the federal budget – and that, therefore, there’s no alternative but to raise the debt ceiling to keep on borrowing and keep on dragging our children to financial ruin.

Set against mean-old Republicans that will be seen as 1) denying people health care and 2) shutting the government down to do it, the Democratic path to financial collapse will be neatly cleared of all undergrowth.

For all their prideful, egocentric, plume-filled preening on the nightly news, our leaders in Washington are destroying this country.

dahreese
dahreese 09/25/13 - 05:09 pm
When the government needs

When the government needs money it can do one of two things; it can borrow from the private sector, or it can raise taxes.

The main source of government “borrowing” IS from the 'private sector' - the Federal Reserve Bank (A privately owned institution/bank – with no ‘reserve’ and is not “federal”).

And when the government pays this "private sector" bank back, it does so with interest thus putting money back into the 'private sector.'

Think about it.

And maybe the AC editorial writers ought to think about it, too.

dahreese
dahreese 09/25/13 - 05:12 pm
No, dear heart. You’re just

No, dear heart.

You’re just so bent on arguing and being “right” that you miss the bigger pictures.

harley_52
harley_52 09/25/13 - 05:47 pm
"Huh? Where does the Constitution grant this authority?"

"I'm starting to feel like I'm living an episode of MythBusters ..."

Do you understand the three branches of the U.S. Government?

Do you understand the term "Executive?"

Do you understand the difference between a "myth" and a "fact?"

I couldn't possibly care less how you "feel."

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/25/13 - 05:52 pm
HA @ 10:28

"I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.

Revelation 3:15-16"

Does this mean that I am precieved; by you; as a demon??!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/25/13 - 06:02 pm
Dateline California

I was watching "THE LIBERAL NEWS" and Gov. Brown signed legislation to increase the California's minimum wage to $10 / hr. over the next 2 years!! NOT A LIVING wage but we advocates are getting there!!

burninater
burninater 09/25/13 - 06:11 pm
Do you understand the three

"Do you understand the three branches of the U.S. Government? Do you understand the term "Executive?" Do you understand the difference between a "myth" and a "fact?" "
-------
Apparently better than some.

The Constitution grants the President zero authority to shut down the government.

That's a fact.

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 09/25/13 - 06:08 pm
Since this was flagged by someone who couldn't handle the truth.

I have reposted omitting the "offensive" word:
To those who baited me with barely concealed insults:
Obamacare will NOT hurt so many, unless you're talking about the medical
industry and the medical insurance industry. You're listening to the lies of
those who resent a Democrat AND a black man in the presidency.
In my previous post, I purposely qualified my statement "Christ, Himself",
as those are words directly from God, Himself. Nowhere in the new Testament
are any words attributed to Jesus that endorse being wealthy, they only warn
against it.
I'm not sure what you want verses proving, but the statement about the man
and wife from the Book of Acts is Chapter 9, starting at verse 32. I don't
need to be specific, but Jesus responded to the rich man, when asked "How can
I get to Heaven?" with "Sell everything you have GIVE THE MONEY TO THE POOR
and come follow Me? HE also said " IT is easier for a camel to pass through
the eye of the needle than for a rich man to get to heaven". Or how about
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures on Earth....".
Jesus never said taxes were wrong, you pay them voluntarily, agreeing to them
by living in this country. Nothing has been stolen from you.
I am not wealthy, by any means. I pay my taxes happily, as they help others,
pay for the defense of my country and countless other benefits that I
receive. I work 50 to 60 hour weeks regularly and do my best, however
inadequately, to help others. I don't take donations off on my taxes, as that
then makes them no longer donations, but tax refuges. If you do a good deed
expecting some form of return on them, or you make them public for personal
aggrandizement, you have not done a good deed. If you pray in public, you're
only making a show, you're not praying, you're trying to make yourself look
good, i.e. you're no more than the Pharisees that Christ excoriated for
"lengthening their phylacteries". Helping the poor or those in need is no
sin, it's what we're expected to do. NOT helping them is a sin and will be
judged. We are not to judge whether or not the person needs help, but to do
so irregardless.
What they do with that help is between them and God, what we do is between us
and God, and if we refuse, so shall we be judged.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/25/13 - 06:18 pm
HA @ 3:11

"The Constitution insures your right to bear arms, it does NOT insure your right to health insurance"

SOOO, just because The Constitution does not make health insurance manditory, does it say anything about FORCEING tax payers to take care OF TENS OF MILLIONS of people on welfare, food-stamps, and Medicaid??

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/25/13 - 06:21 pm
Gosh

I wish I had the time to read these "novalettes", but then I would have NO TIME to post myself!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/25/13 - 06:21 pm
No. End that too.

No. End that too.

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 09/25/13 - 06:25 pm
HumbleAngela, you evade the

HumbleAngela, you evade the point. Karl Rove DID say "deficits don't matter" GWB DID say "I'm the decider" and they put our country firmly on the path to the economic destruction that we have today. Now they want to scream it's Obambacare's fault! Horse hockey! The responsibility for the higher costs of medical care, especially after the Affordable Care Act lies directly at the feet of the insurance companies and the medical profession. They have colluded for years to fix prices and discourage anything that would effect their gravy train. How on God's green earth can you believe that the insurance companies serve their customers? They take all the money you give them, keep part of it(for NOTHNG) and give the rest to the medical profession. They have you all so befuddled that you don't even realize you're getting the shaft, but you're so loyal to the very companies and profit god that you do this all willingly. You clamor about saying Obamacare will ruin our medical industry , WE HAVE THE BEST MEDICAL CARE!!! We don't, we're at best, 32nd in the world.....pretty disgusting, if you ask me. I've actually decided that I'll pay the penalty, I'd rather not put my life in the hands of the REAL Death Panels....the insurance companies and the doctors.....they all have enough Mercedes.....

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/25/13 - 06:34 pm
GACopprhed @ 6:25

"WE HAVE THE BEST MEDICAL CARE!!! We don't, we're at best, 32nd in the world.....pretty disgusting, if you ask me. I've actually decided that I'll pay the penalty, I'd rather not put my life in the hands of the REAL Death Panels....the insurance companies and the doctors.....they all have enough Mercedes....."

WOW.....This statement is great and very telling!!

GACopprhed
GACopprhed 09/25/13 - 06:36 pm
t3blesoe @6:18

Do you not realize that the majority of those " TENS OF MILLIONS of people on welfare, food-stamps, and Medicaid??" are your Grandparents, veterans, people who work but don't make but minimum wage or little more? They are not all unemployed, or black, or drug user/dealers? Most of them are or have been most or all of their lives hard working honest people? I have paid taxes since I was 18 years old , and damned sure, I will get medicaid, welfare, AND food stamps if I need them! I guess if Grandma calls and says can you help me with some food, you'd reply "Go get a job".....

chascushman
chascushman 09/25/13 - 06:38 pm
" You're listening to the

" You're listening to the lies of
those who resent a Democrat AND a black man in the presidency."
GA, yeah keep on playing the ole race card. Most of us do not care what the color of a person's skin is what we care is his character. The reason we oppose Obama is because he is a LYING, RACIST, AMERICA HATING, MARXIST/COMMUNIST that is destroying this country. Herman Cain got it right when he spoke about brainwashing.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/25/13 - 06:38 pm
HA @ 6:21

"No. End that too"

Sorry, I was not sure you were talking to me. I wish I could agree to ax Obamacare, BUT I am too passionate about it as I am about a "living wage".

chascushman
chascushman 09/25/13 - 06:56 pm
"Most of them are or have

"Most of them are or have been most or all of their lives hard working honest people?"
GA, that statement is a lie and that is the problem. I have not heard anyone objecting to helping the disable, old or people that are having a bad time. The people we object too is the able bodied folks that have made a career of living off the taxpayers. The Great Society, liberals, democrats and black leaders have created millions of those deadbeat leeches.

burninater
burninater 09/25/13 - 07:03 pm
"GA, that statement is a lie

"GA, that statement is a lie and that is the problem."
------
Good gravy, it's like ancient Greece today with all of the myths. Chas, GA is correct, and you are not.

Over 90% -- that's over NINETY PERCENT, in case there's confusion -- of means-tested programs recipients are elderly, disabled, and/or working households.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/25/13 - 07:12 pm
HA @ 11:48

"I never just accept what someone tells me as fact. You should know that by now....I require evidence"

I do KNOW THAT about you. It drives people "up the wall", BUT it is your way and a good way to be!!

Done for today. Maybe tomorrow.

KSL
KSL 09/25/13 - 07:18 pm
bledsoe

Didn't you say you are 54? Why, exactly, are you so about the living wage? Surely anyone who debates as well as you has advanced beyond making your so called living wage.

burninater
burninater 09/25/13 - 07:24 pm
KSL, every tax-paying

KSL, every tax-paying American should be concerned with a living wage.

When employers don't pay their employees enough to afford basic needs -- the sum of food, housing, and healthcare -- who the heck do you think pays for the difference?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/25/13 - 07:30 pm
KSL @ 7:18

"Didn't you say you are 54? Why, exactly, are you so about the living wage? Surely anyone who debates as well as you has advanced beyond making your so called living wage"

I will take that as a complement. The answer is NO, I don't need it for myself. You know we liberals are for the down trodened. Besides, I can't afford to make HA mad at me for talking about "a living wage"!

burninater
burninater 09/25/13 - 07:35 pm
Just as a by-the-way, 50% of

Just as a by-the-way, 50% of minimum wage workers in 2011 were over 25 years old.

There's really a simple solution to the often-brought-up dilemma of paying a living wage to high schoolers in their first jobs: keep the minimum wage for anyone that is claimed as a dependent by someone else. For the rest of the workforce, mandate a minimum living wage.

KSL
KSL 09/25/13 - 07:42 pm
Here is where we differ. I

Here is where we differ. I think the minimum wage is for people with no experience, not fully educated or ready to be on their own. I happen to think that people graduating from high school who do not plan to go to tech school or college, should at least be trained well enough to make wages for to support themselves if they are frugal. We all know that a high school education is no longer sufficient for for anyone to earn all that much money any more.

Part of the problem is that the ordinary high school student is not as well educated as several decades ago. The top students are quite well educated. Better than ever.

KSL
KSL 09/25/13 - 07:47 pm
as I said

Why is that? Are we talking about people who either did not finish their education or did not bother to take education seriously?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/25/13 - 07:50 pm
KSL @ 7:42

"So, if you don't even graduate from high school, why should you expect an emplyer to pay you enogh to support yourself, much less you and your family"

There is a lot of truth in your statement, HOWEVER I like burninator's idea of minimum wage for younger people, BUT a living wage for older, experienced workers!!

burninater
burninater 09/25/13 - 07:55 pm
"So, if you don't even

"So, if you don't even graduate from high school, why should you expect an emplyer to pay you enogh to support yourself, much less you and your family?"
------
My simple answer to that is because we live in a civil society that seeks civil order. If we decide to allow a system where a person can work full-time but not earn enough to meet the basic requirements of living, then we have two outcomes: 1) the rest of us pick up the cost difference with public assistance, or 2) those who cannot survive off their wages, turn to the only other money-making option -- crime. Based on incarceration costs, case 2 is actually more expensive than case 1, so it is more cost-effective to go with case 1.

Just out of curiosity, doesn't it strike you as notable that when people are not paid a living wage, they have no other options but be on public assistance, or turn to crime? Doesn't that sound remarkably like the exact problem people debate day in and day out around here?

KSL
KSL 09/25/13 - 07:54 pm
Demand a higher wage for

Demand a higher wage for someone who decided not to educate him or herself above a certain level? Are we discussing laziness or just being sorry because tbe government picks up so many of the tabs?

burninater
burninater 09/25/13 - 08:02 pm
We're discussing physical

We're discussing physical reality. Regardless of the reason for an independent worker being underskilled, they will do what they have to do to survive. If working full time will not provide them with that, they will resort to other means.

Completely disregarding the moral issue of an expectation that a human should only be able to survive if they are highly skilled, it destabilizes society to have an entire segment of the population unable to make a living wage through normal channels.

I really don't understand the controversy here. We want to encourage people to play by the rules, work for a living, and be responsible for themselves, but then allow a system that makes it impossible for our lowest-paid workers to do exactly that? And then we implement even COSTLIER remedies when those individuals either receive public assistance, or turn to criminality? That isn't a sensible approach.

KSL
KSL 09/25/13 - 07:59 pm
burn

By your way of thinking, we pay higher for goods and services.

KSL
KSL 09/25/13 - 08:03 pm
People survived before the

People survived before the Great Society.