Safety begins at home

Heinous home invasions deserve the death penalty

The Fourth Amendment talks about “the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects ...” It’s talking about being secure from unreasonable searches and seizures by the government.

But it should pertain to the criminal element as well.

Being secure in our “persons, houses, papers, and effects” is a basic human right. And our founders got the order of importance right, too: Just after our bodies, our houses are next in line for sanctity against assaults.

And in today’s world, it seems our homes are the only place we have any reasonable expectation of safety left.

Home must be defendable with our lives – but also with the lives of those who would violate it.

Such is the case when a homeowner shoots an intruder. But we would argue that any criminal entering an occupied home should bring the death penalty on himself. Society simply must draw a line at our home’s threshold.

In the latest home invasion case, a Clayton County home was broken into early Tuesday by two masked gunmen who demanded money and jewelry and kidnapped a 14-year-old girl and issued ransom demands.

Thank heaven she was rescued and the suspects arrested on Wednesday.

You have an absolute right to be safe in your home. Any violent assault on that should be a capital crime.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/19/13 - 06:48 am
Got to start reading between

Got to start reading between the lines on home invasions, ACES, especially the supposed "random" ones.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/19/13 - 06:57 am
"Any violent assault on that

"Any violent assault on that should be a capital crime."

And assault on MY home IS a capital crime.

localguy55
localguy55 09/19/13 - 08:19 am
I am with on the Humble.

I am with on the Humble. These predators, thuggs, opportunist, scum of the earth subhumans are no more than rabid animals in my book and should be delt with in kind.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/13 - 08:54 am
Laws won't matter to me

Any attempt to break into this home would be asking for death....fast & no hesitation.....enough with crime & punks!

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/19/13 - 09:08 am
I've always told my wife and

I've always told my wife and kids to do as Biden suggest-take your shotgun loaded with buckshot point it up in the air and then draw down on them and blow them to hell. Well I took liberties with the last part but Biden suggested grabbing a gun. Funny isn't it.

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 09:53 am
Quote from editorial

"The Fourth Amendment talks about “the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects ...” It’s talking about being secure from unreasonable searches and seizures by the government"

Every state should have stand your ground laws. Also The Patriate Act SHOULD be scaled back to insure MORE privacy instead of less.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/19/13 - 10:04 am
Home invasions are probably

Home invasions are probably the most scary thing a homeowner can face, whether they be by thugs or by a mistaken law enforcement agency with the wrong address....or by thugs hollering "Sheriff's department".

So......ANYONE kicking in my door in the middle of the night WILL receive incoming rounds. There is nothing that will make you feel more stupid than dropping your gun and surrendering only to find out it ain't the cops.

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 10:21 am
Title of editorial

"Safety begins at home"

Just this title says a lot. In my opinion, bringing the troops home from ALL of the middle east then putting them on a level of alert that they could be ready in a short periond of time. This idea of not using troops to keep the home land safe is a bunch of crud!! Cities are going broke because of having to pay police people a lot of over time when the troops SHOULD enter the picture!!

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 10:25 am
Quote from editorial

"But it should pertain to the criminal element as well"

I know this is talking about break ins, gun shootings, knife stabbings, etc. But some people believe the government is praticing criminal activities with The Patriate Act.

jimmymac
jimmymac 09/19/13 - 10:26 am
BLED3

I find myself agreeing with you more and more. Either I'm becoming a liberal or you're crossing the line into being on the dark side with me. Keep up the good thinking!

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 10:31 am
Quote from editorial

"Being secure in our “persons, houses, papers, and effects” is a basic human right"

This is true, BUT there MUST be accountibilty in order to perform some actes of self protection!! There has been two shootings that have made the national news. Two armed men shot two un-armed men in the process of "stand your ground" excusses.

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 10:35 am
Quote from editorial

"And in today’s world, it seems our homes are the only place we have any reasonable expectation of safety left"

In my opinion, there is a lot of un-truth in this statement. As long as there is responsibilty and proof that you were with in the law, BY ALL MEANS, protect life, limb, and home!

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 10:39 am
Quote from editorial

"Such is the case when a homeowner shoots an intruder. But we would argue that any criminal entering an occupied home should bring the death penalty on himself. Society simply must draw a line at our home’s threshold"

Even I believe in the statement! BUT the rule of accountibility MUST be provable!

KSL
KSL 09/19/13 - 10:44 am
bledsoe

Will you please look up thr Posse Comitatus Act.

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 10:44 am
Quote from editorial

"In the latest home invasion case, a Clayton County home was broken into early Tuesday by two masked gunmen who demanded money and jewelry and kidnapped a 14-year-old girl and issued ransom demands"

This is so true. However, if the gunmen were willing to kidnap a girl, I believe they would have killed if presented with deadly force by the home owners.

KSL
KSL 09/19/13 - 10:48 am
Not if the homeowners had

Not if the homeowners had quicker trigger fingers.

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 10:51 am
Quote from editorial

"Home invasions – especially random ones – are some of the most frightening, blatant attacks possible on a civilized society"

The fear of a random home invasion is exactly why the un-armed guy that was looking for help got shot to death by a cop!! However, I would have wasted NO TIME calling 911 either!! I believe the cop was sceared for his life when the tazer did not work. BUT now he is possibly going to face criminal charges!! Both of these situations are messed up!!

KSL
KSL 09/19/13 - 11:50 am
sceared

Do you mean scared or scarred or seared?

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 11:56 am
KSL @ 11:50

"Do you mean scared or scarred or seared"

OK, Ange........Oh, KSL I don't get some merit for getting the spelling close enough??

KSL
KSL 09/19/13 - 11:59 am
Only if we can discern your

Only if we can discern your meaning.

KSL
KSL 09/19/13 - 12:00 pm
You know the saying, "Close

You know the saying, "Close only counts in horseshoes"?

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 12:03 pm
KSL @ 11:59

"Only if we can discern your meaning"

Not a whole lot to debate today. Probably because we all are in agreement on this editorial.

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 12:06 pm
KSL @ 12:00

"You know the saying, "Close only counts in horseshoes"?"

You'll should really give me a brake, you know I was the product of a public school!

KSL
KSL 09/19/13 - 12:07 pm
So correct, Tim. Thank you

So correct, Tim. Thank you for your email.

t3bledsoe 09/19/13 - 12:12 pm
Hate to go

Try to be back later.

KSL
KSL 09/19/13 - 12:44 pm
public school

So was I. But before Jimmy Carters' Education Dept.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/19/13 - 01:07 pm
"So was I. But before Jimmy

"So was I. But before Jimmy Carters' Education Dept."

Or whenever that social promotion thingy started.....you know....that "we can't hurt little Johnny's esteem by telling him he ain't cuttin' the mustard and has to repeat the grade".

myfather15
myfather15 09/19/13 - 01:44 pm
"The Patriate Act" "insure"

"The Patriate Act" "insure"

No, can't give you credit for this many in one article. You do know all you've got to do is open another window and put the word in Bing or Google and it will spell it for you, right?

But, I'm just messin with ya, we all misspell words; no big deal as long as we get the point. I type fast and I do NOT proof read my comments before posting, so I have many mistakes as well.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 09/19/13 - 01:45 pm
Criminals

I sure hope the criminals are reading some of these replies! Maybe they will get the hint that the American people are standing up and ready to fight fire with fire. I never thought of owning a gun for protection until the last 5 years. I'm ready. On the other side of the coin, many of these criminals are doing this for drug money. Meth makes you do things a normal person wouldn't dream of doing. All the MORE reason to have a gun!

specsta
specsta 09/19/13 - 03:25 pm
The Other Home Invasion

ACES wrote - "Home invasions – especially random ones – are some of the most frightening, blatant attacks possible on a civilized society."

Agreed.

But what happens when those invaders are militarized police, breaking down doors, wearing masks, brandishing assault rifles and terrorizing the homeowners? Citizens have been murdered trying to defend their homes when SWAT or some other paramilitary force raids the wrong house.

This happens too often. The homeowner is left dead or with destroyed home contents. Sometimes the family pet is shot and killed. And nothing happens to the masked gunmen who break down their doors.

I would think that there also should be legislation that severely penalizes and criminalizes any police operation that terrorizes, kills, or harms innocent civilians. Then maybe home invasions by the police with the wrong information will cease in this country.