Still under construction

Obama is far from building convincing case for war with Syria

Between Democratic loyalists and Republican hawks, it’s looking more likely today than it did last Saturday that President Obama will get the approval of Congress for military strikes on Syria.

Good thing for him, too. He’s betting the prestige of the office on it.

Republican House leaders John Boehner and Eric Cantor fell in line with the president this week, as have other high-profile Republicans.

Georgia’s two Republican U.S. senators, Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson, also support a strike.

It’s a good bet many otherwise dovish Democrats will back Obama, too, in order to avoid having the president be “shamed and humiliated on the national stage,” as nonvoting District of Columbia congressional delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton put it.

It’s a little late for that, given the fact that the mere delay until Congress returns in full next week has led the country’s enemies to crow about Obama’s weakness and vacillation.

The president’s equivocation in his Saturday announcement that he’ll seek congressional approval for military action also stood in stark contrast to Secretary of State John Kerry’s impassioned rallying cry for action just a day before.

It’s interesting that some are willing to support a Syrian strike with what appears to be less evidence than was obtained against Saddam Hussein. And we all know how that turned out.

We also agree with folks such as Isakson and Chambliss that if the president was going to ask for Congress’ marching orders, he should’ve called it into session this week rather than wait until the next.

Most of that will be quickly forgotten, however, should Congress go along with him and the real shooting starts. Moreover, the delay may be changing the outcome: It’s possible Congress would’ve given the Syrian strike a thumbs-down if asked this week; the intervening days give the Obama administration the opportunity to build the case.

Building the case – with Congress, with our allies and with the American people – should’ve preceded all of this. And Mr. Obama should never have bandied about talk of Syria crossing “red lines” by using chemical weapons unless he was quietly assembling an army of supporters. He has mismanaged this crisis horribly from the get-go.

South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan speaks for many of us.

“I’m canceling my meetings tomorrow to head back to D.C. to participate in hearings on the president’s request for the use of military force in Syria,” he wrote earlier this week on his Facebook page. “I’ve yet to see how military intervention in Syria is in our national interest, nor have I heard a good argument for why we should aid the al-Qaida-backed Syrian opposition.”

But again, Congress may end up bailing out the president.

If so, we hope they are in possession of compelling information they can’t disclose to the rest of us, because on its face a strike on Syria looks like a potentially catastrophic mistake – a joining in, and an escalation of, a war in which our national interests are either nonexistent or non-negotiable. It seems no-win to us.

We don’t deny the horror of chemical weapons or the need to crack down on their use. But why should the U.S. go it alone, or nearly so – particularly when the former president was excoriated by the current one for supposed unilateralism?

And, as one California Democrat wondered aloud, have we really exhausted all possible peaceful means of upbraiding the Syrian regime?

We look forward to the president making a case for war. Right now, he’s nowhere close.

myfather15
myfather15 09/05/13 - 06:29 pm
"So I'll ask again; please

"So I'll ask again; please tell me specifically where the "win-win" is"

"Well, most of you conservatives usually hang on EVERY word from Sen. McCain, so making McCain satisfied and striking a blow for humanity."

THIS is your SECOND answer to this question? Honestly man, can you answer the question and stop misdirecting the question to propaganda?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/13 - 06:33 pm
WHAT!!!!!!!

Owning your own home is not a "right".

You telling me that paying cash to build my house is not my RIGHT??

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 06:44 pm
"This is probably not aimed

"This is probably not aimed at me, but I will take the opportunity to say, "I hate this silent treatment and I wish you would tell me what I can do!!"

You're doing ok today.

"This is what I have been bringing up, BUT the other side of the party lines say that this meant just the begining part of the war!!"

Nonsense!

GWB and crew were feeling their oats - at the expense of the U.S. military and the Iraqi people.

And 'mission accomplished' (which GWB claimed proudly - standing in front of the banner) and it was about him, not the crew. He was on deck for the glory.

"One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as commander in chief. My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it. If I have a chance to invade, if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it."

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 06:34 pm

He can not.

myfather15
myfather15 09/05/13 - 06:35 pm
dahreese

"GWB did not have in place anyone to lead Iraq after Saddam was toppled.

He dismissed what was left of the Iraqi police and the military and the Iraqi people went wild .

He had no plans in place to replace the drinking water and power facilities; the hospitals."

And I suppose you would say that Egypt and Libya are in MUCH better shape than Iraq today?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 06:37 pm
corgimom @ 5:39

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/13 - 06:38 pm
Question Made.

"I hate this silent treatment and I wish you would tell me what I can do!!"

Does anybody here really love to answer that question?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/13 - 06:41 pm
If You Do,

I bet it will not stay on line very long.....

chascushman
chascushman 09/05/13 - 06:41 pm
"VERY WELL STATED!! I believe

My guess is a CA democrat.

chascushman
chascushman 09/05/13 - 06:44 pm
"I bet it will not stay on

"I bet it will not stay on line very long..... "
It might get you kicked off this thread.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 06:45 pm
KSL @ 6:28

"Maybe he has found a topic he is really comfortable "debating.""

I don't know if this is aimed at me, BUT I believe this is THE BEST "debating" editorial in weeks!!

chascushman
chascushman 09/05/13 - 06:48 pm
" I will bet the farm that

" I will bet the farm that you voted for McCain in 2008."
Bledsoe, McCain or a lying, racist, America hating Marxist/communist, not a hard choice.

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 06:48 pm
"This is probably not aimed

"This is probably not aimed

You're doing ok today.

Nonsense!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 06:57 pm
HA @ 5:39

"Again with the blaming Bush...and again with the "mission accomplished." It is a well known fact that Bush had nothing to do with that banner, even though it was factually correct.....since a war is made up of many missions, the first of which, the mission that particular ship was sent to do, had been accomplished. But let's ignore all those facts so we can just keep trying to deflect to the evil Bush"

HA, if dahreese doesn't appreciate your noticing, I DO!! CAN this be the end of the silent treatment??

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 06:58 pm
""VERY WELL STATED!! I

""VERY WELL STATED!! I believe there are more liberal commenters on now than I have ever experienced!!"

Bettering your chances to become a liberal, yourself.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 07:06 pm
walrus4ever @ 5:41

"Not much different than our civil war. Especially in the early years of our war, Britain made no secret of its support of the rebels. While the United States Army shelled, starved and burned the South to its knees, England supported the Confederacy with weapons and technology. However, they were intelligent enough to stay out of the action"

WHY HAVEN'T I heard this history lesson from any of the rest of you supposed "history buffs"! GOOD JOB walrus4ever!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 07:15 pm
KSL @ 6:22

"The libs in power don't care about anything but their votes, including as many votes as they can cast. The lower end of the libs only care about their freebees"

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 07:24 pm
KSL @ 6:25

"Sorry, HA.

I probably over spoke"

I CAN THANK you and the rest of you conservatives for poisoning her toward me!! I mean, we were very competitive, BUT NO you'll had to jump in like I was some kind of STALKER which could not be more from the real honest truth, YOU KNOW, not lieing about stuff!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 07:33 pm
dahreese @ 6:44

"And 'mission accomplished' (which GWB claimed proudly - standing in front of the banner) and it was about him, not the crew. He was on deck for the glory"

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who thinks this way, BUT I have been listening to conservatives TOOOOO LONG!!

chascushman
chascushman 09/05/13 - 07:40 pm
"WHY HAVEN'T I heard this

"WHY HAVEN'T I heard this history lesson from any of the rest of you supposed "history buffs"!"
Bledsoe, I'm afraid there is not near enough on this tread to educate you on history.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 07:41 pm
got to go

Don't want to. Some of the best debating I have ever been in!!

chascushman
chascushman 09/05/13 - 07:42 pm
"LET ME SEE: letting, and

"LET ME SEE: letting, and incouraging, dead people to vote, "BUYING VOTES WITH WELFARE", and just all-a-round being too lazy to work, and Occupy Wall Street kind of liberals??"
Bledsoe, you are correct so far but it is much worse than that.

myfather15
myfather15 09/06/13 - 12:57 am
"I will bet the farm that you

"I will bet the farm that you voted for McCain in 2008."

With the only other option being an America hating socialist/communist, there wasn't much of a choice!! It's just unfortunate so many people in America are unattached, uninformed and uninvolved in what's going on in this Country!! More people are concerned about the latest reality TV or getting their tan on; than about the well being of the Country.

chascushman
chascushman 09/06/13 - 11:46 am
"Well, you would be WRONG if

"Well, you would be WRONG if talking about the Republican primary; but correct in the general election!!"
myfather, I NEVER voted for Mccain in the a primary. He is great man but is no conservative.

Darby
Darby 09/06/13 - 10:10 pm
"WHY IS IT that people don't believe these

Republicans can't just be following McCain's lead because he knows war first hand??"

Now that's really funny. McCain was shot down. He was a junior officer. He has never been on a battlefield to see an enemy soldier look him in the eye.

Then he spent the entire war in a cell in Hanoi. He might as well have been in a coma for what he learned about tactics and strategy in prison. He knows what it's like to be a POW. (It was really bad.) He knows very little about war.

If there is anyone in DC more pompous and/or arrogant than OzBama, it's got to be John McCain. I've met him three times, didn't like him from the very first time at a lecture in South Carolina fifteen years ago. He was suffering from a serious superiority complex even then.

He served and we should all respect that. He earned the gratitude of the American people.

Just don't give him more credit than he has earned with regard to the conduct of war. Don't confuse serving with learning.

Darby
Darby 09/06/13 - 10:18 pm
"And now, suddenly, Inhofe is against

attacking Syria, for no reason at all except that Obama wants to do it."

Would hurt to be honest would it. Inhofe explained in great detail why he backed off and he did it on several talk shows.

I can't help believing you knew that before your misleading post.

For that matter, there are several Dems who have also switched and they, without exception blame OzBama's poor leadership for their actions.

And that, "I didn't draw a red line, the world drew a red line." thing.

That was classic OzBama.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...