Still under construction

Obama is far from building convincing case for war with Syria

Between Democratic loyalists and Republican hawks, it’s looking more likely today than it did last Saturday that President Obama will get the approval of Congress for military strikes on Syria.

Good thing for him, too. He’s betting the prestige of the office on it.

Republican House leaders John Boehner and Eric Cantor fell in line with the president this week, as have other high-profile Republicans.

Georgia’s two Republican U.S. senators, Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson, also support a strike.

It’s a good bet many otherwise dovish Democrats will back Obama, too, in order to avoid having the president be “shamed and humiliated on the national stage,” as nonvoting District of Columbia congressional delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton put it.

It’s a little late for that, given the fact that the mere delay until Congress returns in full next week has led the country’s enemies to crow about Obama’s weakness and vacillation.

The president’s equivocation in his Saturday announcement that he’ll seek congressional approval for military action also stood in stark contrast to Secretary of State John Kerry’s impassioned rallying cry for action just a day before.

It’s interesting that some are willing to support a Syrian strike with what appears to be less evidence than was obtained against Saddam Hussein. And we all know how that turned out.

We also agree with folks such as Isakson and Chambliss that if the president was going to ask for Congress’ marching orders, he should’ve called it into session this week rather than wait until the next.

Most of that will be quickly forgotten, however, should Congress go along with him and the real shooting starts. Moreover, the delay may be changing the outcome: It’s possible Congress would’ve given the Syrian strike a thumbs-down if asked this week; the intervening days give the Obama administration the opportunity to build the case.

Building the case – with Congress, with our allies and with the American people – should’ve preceded all of this. And Mr. Obama should never have bandied about talk of Syria crossing “red lines” by using chemical weapons unless he was quietly assembling an army of supporters. He has mismanaged this crisis horribly from the get-go.

South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan speaks for many of us.

“I’m canceling my meetings tomorrow to head back to D.C. to participate in hearings on the president’s request for the use of military force in Syria,” he wrote earlier this week on his Facebook page. “I’ve yet to see how military intervention in Syria is in our national interest, nor have I heard a good argument for why we should aid the al-Qaida-backed Syrian opposition.”

But again, Congress may end up bailing out the president.

If so, we hope they are in possession of compelling information they can’t disclose to the rest of us, because on its face a strike on Syria looks like a potentially catastrophic mistake – a joining in, and an escalation of, a war in which our national interests are either nonexistent or non-negotiable. It seems no-win to us.

We don’t deny the horror of chemical weapons or the need to crack down on their use. But why should the U.S. go it alone, or nearly so – particularly when the former president was excoriated by the current one for supposed unilateralism?

And, as one California Democrat wondered aloud, have we really exhausted all possible peaceful means of upbraiding the Syrian regime?

We look forward to the president making a case for war. Right now, he’s nowhere close.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 04:43 pm
myfather15 @ 3:13

"""If President Obama really wanted to get rid of the Republicans, which he doesn't, all he would have to do would be to write an executive order forbidding them from jumping off bridges,"

Not a good sign!! When you've got no substance to you argument; start bringing in childish rhetoric!!""

I personnally thought Rhetor's comment was very nice but meaningfull. HE / SHE could have stated, "And Obama DOES WANT to get rid of the Republicans!!" Conservatives should be thankfull that Obama lets Republicans hang-around in Washington, DC!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 04:51 pm
myfather15 @ 3:20

"Really? This attack killed 1400. Saddam's attacks with gas in 1988 killed 5000 at one time. THIS was very evident!! I guess it was 20 years ago so it shouldn't count!! Although Saddam continued killing thousands, until 2003"

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 04:55 pm
He wasn't

He was, at least when he showed up to vote, in the IL senate.

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 04:57 pm
I would think you would know

I would think you would know that, being a liberal.

chascushman
chascushman 09/05/13 - 05:02 pm
"Conservatives should be

"Conservatives should be thankfull that Obama lets Republicans hang-around in Washington, DC!!"
Bledsoe, now you are thinking like the lying, racist in the WH.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 05:02 pm
chascushman @ 3:50

"but I do know that he hates everything this country was based on and believes the USA became rich by stealing from poor countries of color"

LIKE SLAVERY and how this country became very rich off the backs of thousands of them??!! You know, whether you are a Republican, Democrat, conservative, or liberal; like my dad used to say; FACTS IS FACTS SON!!

localguy55
localguy55 09/05/13 - 05:05 pm
The song and dance remains the same

And the little obstinate manchild is still President. I would use the word arrogant but that word invokes an aire of intellegence of which Mr. Obama sorely lacks. A stint at Occidental College in Los Angeles, then Columbia University in N.Y. City and finely three years of Harvard. And we end up with the higher education's version of the Manchurian Candidate running our country into the ground. And Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 05:16 pm
Bledsoe, your comment to me re my 3:17

Does that mean you are not up to the task?

All I see in your comments about Syria and the impending attack is the need to feed your emotions and make them feel all warm and fuzzy. It is all about attempting to make a point to Assad. It matters not the unintended consequences.

Obamacare is wonderful. NOT, But I have clients who are having to put off homeownership because they are losing their company health insurance. Now that is probably unintended on the part of Obama's uninformed supporters. But I gaurantee it was not unintended on Obama's intent. He said as much.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 05:18 pm
dahreese @ 4:38

""If certain conservatives would treat these comments like opinions; INSTEAD OF ""FACTS AND PROOF"...."

How do you know who I am talking about?? I have stated this to this commenter of "the facts and proof" before, BUT they NEVER gave me silent treatment like this before!! I think they may very well be "out-of-their-league" against you!! LOL

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 05:28 pm
One of the things those Ivy

One of the things those Ivy League colleges and others teach you, is to learn how to present an idea (thesis) and back it up with facts or plausible theories.They don't, or didn't grade you on whether they thought you were right or wrong, but on how well you made your case. Amazingly like presenting a case in court.

Or how about presenting research on global warming?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/05/13 - 05:28 pm
t3

FACTS IS FACTS SON!!

You are 100% correct*****ONLY*****if a FACT is a Fact!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 05:32 pm
myfather15 @ 4:38

"So I'll ask again; please tell me specifically where the "win-win" is"

Well, most of you conservatives usually hang on EVERY word from Sen. McCain, so making McCain satisfied and striking a blow for humanity.

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 05:36 pm
"It matters not the

"It matters not the unintended consequences."

Like Iraq?

GWB did not have in place anyone to lead Iraq after Saddam was toppled.

He dismissed what was left of the Iraqi police and the military and the Iraqi people went wild .

He had no plans in place to replace the drinking water and power facilities; the hospitals.

He too thought, "We'll be treated as liberators" and that the "Iraqi oil will pay for the war."

Or did he "think" at all about anything but blowing the place up?

Oh, he "Mission Accomplished" alright.

chascushman
chascushman 09/05/13 - 05:41 pm
' LIKE SLAVERY and how this

' LIKE SLAVERY and how this country became very rich off the backs of thousands of them??"
Bledsoe, Bledsoe, PLEASE STUDY history. While some in the south become rich off slavery they LOST everything during the civil war.
This country DID NOT BECOME RICH BECAUSE OF SLAVERY.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 05:39 pm
"But I have clients who are

"But I have clients who are having to put off homeownership because they are losing their company health insurance. "

Boo hoo.

It took me 15 long years of working and going to college to be able to buy a home, and nobody felt sorry for me in any way. And I didn't buy my dream house right off, I bought what I could afford.

Maybe your clients should face reality and look for a home within their budget.

My husband used to have his insurance paid for, 100%. He lost that benefit, and it had nothing to do with Obamacare. And nobody felt sorry for us.

My husband lost his HMO plan and we had to take one that was far more expensive, and it had nothing to do with Obamacare. Nobody cared.

My husband lost his paid retiree health insurance benefit. It had nothing to do with Obamacare. And did anybody care? Did anybody think it was unfair, or the President's fault? No.

We just cut out luxuries and we were grateful, and are grateful, for what we have.

Owning your own home is not a "right".

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 05:39 pm
Again with the blaming

Again with the blaming Bush...and again with the "mission accomplished." It is a well known fact that Bush had nothing to do with that banner, even though it was factually correct.....since a war is made up of many missions, the first of which, the mission that particular ship was sent to do, had been accomplished. But let's ignore all those facts so we can just keep trying to deflect to the evil Bush.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 05:40 pm
"Maybe your clients should

"Maybe your clients should face reality and look for a home within their budget. "

Maybe it WAS within their budget before Obamacare changed all that.

corgimom
corgimom 09/05/13 - 05:41 pm
The mission of war is to

That's it.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 09/05/13 - 05:41 pm
Weak on history,strong on hypocracy

In regards to Syria. When it comes to preaching what you practiced, the US comes up way short. The response of the Assad government to a rebellious segment of the Syrian populace is to unleash the full force of his military to wage total war. Bombing the civilian population, laying waste to the infrastructure in rebellious areas and using all means at its disposal to wipe out the dissidents is his game plan to stay in control. Not much different than our civil war. Especially in the early years of our war, Britain made no secret of its support of the rebels. While the United States Army shelled, starved and burned the South to its knees, England supported the Confederacy with weapons and technology. However, they were intelligent enough to stay out of the action. The motivation of rebellion is not the issue here. The justification of our military intervention is. I find it ironic the United States Army used chemical ordnance to burn Charleston and now the events in Syria are considered abhorrent. This monster needs killing but are we the ones to play executioner? This is about saving face in Washington not about "humanity".

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 05:42 pm
"The mission of war is to

"The mission of war is to inflict the maximum amount of casualties on your enemy while sustaining the minimum amount of casualties of your own military. "

100% correct!

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 05:57 pm
"dahreese, I have some ocean

"dahreese, I have some ocean front land in AZ for sale."

I don't doubt that you do.

You and HA enjoy the beach?

chascushman
chascushman 09/05/13 - 05:51 pm
" Tell your clients, KSL, to

" Tell your clients, KSL, to scale down their expectations and look for a house where they can buy their own insurance and afford a house. It's doable."
corigmom, better yet he should tell his clients to vote against the people that caused this mess. By the way KSL was not asking you to feel sorry for his clients he was just stating a fact.

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 06:01 pm
Corgi,

It really is best not to make comments like yours when you don't know the circumstances. I owe allegiance to confidentiality, but I gaurantee that if I could disclose the circumstances, you would look hateful.

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 06:22 pm

Chascushman. I wasn't asking for anyone to feel sorry. I was just posting knowledge of people I know of.

Nor was I asking for sympathy over a put off sale. Maybe hard for the feely good, emotional people on here, but I am a conservative, particularly fiscal, who cares about people.

The libs in power don't care about anything but their votes, including as many votes as they can cast. The lower end of the libs only care about their freebees. Then we have those libs in the middle. Are they afraid they may descend to the needy? Are they grateful the government provided for family members and they did not have to? Are their votes payback?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 06:22 pm
HA @ 5:43

"Some people don't seem to be able to tell the difference between stating an opinion, and lying"

This is probably not aimed at me, but I will take the opportunity to say, "I hate this silent treatment and I wish you would tell me what I can do!!"

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 06:24 pm
I will tell you

Back off.

myfather15
myfather15 09/05/13 - 06:24 pm
t3bledsoe

"Last time I checked, Obama was not our president during 1988 to 2003, AND I am not even sure he was even in Washington during this time."

Could you PLEASE stop this insane infatuation with Obama!!! Every comment about past and present policies is NOT about Obama!! I was only pointing out the fact that Saddam Hussein ALSO used chemical weapons against thousands and NO ONE did a darn thing. AND it was after the agreement that chemical gas was NOT suppose to be used.

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 06:25 pm
And lose your overblown emotion.

Sorry, HA.

I probably over spoke.

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 06:28 pm
Maybe he has found a topic he

Maybe he has found a topic he is really comfortable "debating."

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 06:28 pm
dahreese @ 5:36

"Oh, he "Mission Accomplished" alright"

This is what I have been bringing up, BUT the other side of the party lines say that this meant just the begining part of the war!!