Still under construction

Obama is far from building convincing case for war with Syria

Between Democratic loyalists and Republican hawks, it’s looking more likely today than it did last Saturday that President Obama will get the approval of Congress for military strikes on Syria.

Good thing for him, too. He’s betting the prestige of the office on it.

Republican House leaders John Boehner and Eric Cantor fell in line with the president this week, as have other high-profile Republicans.

Georgia’s two Republican U.S. senators, Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson, also support a strike.

It’s a good bet many otherwise dovish Democrats will back Obama, too, in order to avoid having the president be “shamed and humiliated on the national stage,” as nonvoting District of Columbia congressional delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton put it.

It’s a little late for that, given the fact that the mere delay until Congress returns in full next week has led the country’s enemies to crow about Obama’s weakness and vacillation.

The president’s equivocation in his Saturday announcement that he’ll seek congressional approval for military action also stood in stark contrast to Secretary of State John Kerry’s impassioned rallying cry for action just a day before.

It’s interesting that some are willing to support a Syrian strike with what appears to be less evidence than was obtained against Saddam Hussein. And we all know how that turned out.

We also agree with folks such as Isakson and Chambliss that if the president was going to ask for Congress’ marching orders, he should’ve called it into session this week rather than wait until the next.

Most of that will be quickly forgotten, however, should Congress go along with him and the real shooting starts. Moreover, the delay may be changing the outcome: It’s possible Congress would’ve given the Syrian strike a thumbs-down if asked this week; the intervening days give the Obama administration the opportunity to build the case.

Building the case – with Congress, with our allies and with the American people – should’ve preceded all of this. And Mr. Obama should never have bandied about talk of Syria crossing “red lines” by using chemical weapons unless he was quietly assembling an army of supporters. He has mismanaged this crisis horribly from the get-go.

South Carolina Rep. Jeff Duncan speaks for many of us.

“I’m canceling my meetings tomorrow to head back to D.C. to participate in hearings on the president’s request for the use of military force in Syria,” he wrote earlier this week on his Facebook page. “I’ve yet to see how military intervention in Syria is in our national interest, nor have I heard a good argument for why we should aid the al-Qaida-backed Syrian opposition.”

But again, Congress may end up bailing out the president.

If so, we hope they are in possession of compelling information they can’t disclose to the rest of us, because on its face a strike on Syria looks like a potentially catastrophic mistake – a joining in, and an escalation of, a war in which our national interests are either nonexistent or non-negotiable. It seems no-win to us.

We don’t deny the horror of chemical weapons or the need to crack down on their use. But why should the U.S. go it alone, or nearly so – particularly when the former president was excoriated by the current one for supposed unilateralism?

And, as one California Democrat wondered aloud, have we really exhausted all possible peaceful means of upbraiding the Syrian regime?

We look forward to the president making a case for war. Right now, he’s nowhere close.

Bizkit
Bizkit 09/05/13 - 11:52 am
We need to activate the

We need to activate the TeaParty groups, Progressive groups, liberals groups, and conservative groups, and OWS to form protest across the nation to prevent our govt acting in Syria. Americans need to stop our govt from acting like idiots.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 12:00 pm
Multipul sides to argue

WOW, this may be the first time I have seen this make-up of a four way arguement!! Dems for war-Dems for Obama, Dems against war-dems for Obama, Reps. for war-Reps. against Obama, and Reps. against war-Reps. against Obama.

The Dems. for Obama and the Reps. against Obama HAVE TO keep up the appearence that they are being party loyal. WHAT A GOVERNMENT!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 12:10 pm
Bizkit @ 11:52

"We need to activate the TeaParty groups, Progressive groups, liberals groups, and conservative groups, and OWS to form protest across the nation to prevent our govt acting in Syria. Americans need to stop our govt from acting like idiots"

I will be the first one who is FOR a strike on Syria, to say I never thought The US should have gone into Iraq or Afghanistan! I agree with you,"We have really messed up the governments in these countries, AND NOT TO MENSION all of the lives of the troops that have been lost!" Your fear of a situation in Syria, which would get rid of Assad, may very well lead to a situation like Iraq and Afghanistan! It's just right now, the free world must take a stand against the use of chemical weapons.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/05/13 - 12:23 pm
Reported

It's already been reported that Assad has moved his troops and weapons into crowded suburbs. Putin has said he will put up a missile shield if the US launches anything. Obama needs to sit down and shut up or he'll start WWIII and it will probably come to our shores here. If you want to support Obama, you may want to learn Russian or Arabic so that you'll be able to speak with your new neighbors!! I say withdraw our troops from the Middle East and move them to Israel, start drilling for oil here and stop sending money overseas!!!

KSL
KSL 09/05/13 - 12:32 pm
CBBP

I totally agree. Obama is about to step in it big time.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 12:39 pm
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts @ 12:23

"I say withdraw our troops from the Middle East and move them to Israel, start drilling for oil here and stop sending money overseas!!!"

I AGREE with your statement about getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan! BUT I don't agree with stopping the bomb strikes JUST BECAUSE Putin has warned The US. It's his kind of people that see nothing wrong with using chemical weapons! It may be true that Putin IS WORSE than Assad!! Think about it, "What if President Kennedy had not stood up against The USSR threat to put nukes in CUBA. Where would that have left US??" What I am saying is that kennedy showed braveness toward The USSR EVEN WHILE being a little in fear what would happen!! I say get US troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan, strike Assad with enough to say "NO MORE CHEMICAL WEAPONS", then take a wait-and-see attitude!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 12:54 pm
Braveness? So it was brave

Braveness? So it was brave when Kennedy FIRST bowed to the USSR's command and removed our missiles from Turkey, THEN they removed theirs from Cuba after we caved? That's a nice bit of history rewriting.

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 01:08 pm
"So it was brave when Kennedy

"So it was brave when Kennedy FIRST bowed to the USSR's command and removed our missiles from Turkey, THEN they removed theirs from Cuba after we caved? That's a nice bit of history rewriting."

There is a saying "Those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it."

In this case, you don't know history.

Prior to the Cuban crisis Kennedy had already order the missiles in Turkey to be removed.; 1) They were outdated 2) They were no longer needed in Turkey. We had developed longer range missiles.

Of course, the Russians did not know this.

And in the end, we got everything we wanted.

The Russians left Cuba and took their missiles with them.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 01:09 pm
dahreese. If you are making

dahreese. If you are making an accusation, please back it up with some verifiable evidence. Otherwise, you may keep up the ad-hominem attack.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 01:14 pm
While outdated, it wasn't

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 09/05/13 - 01:17 pm
OBUMLER said yesterday that

OBUMLER said yesterday that his crediability is still intact, it was the world, the US congress and America..thats you and me...who crediabilty is being tarnished..now i didnt call for a line in the sand, or a stick knocked off my shoulder any any other childish saying ..yet everyone is responsible somehow except obumler..1st we have no business in syria, its has no stategic importance to us..2nd..if it is humanitarian reasons why do all the libs look away from the massive tribal killings in Africa..could be they are racist..i recall one prez who did quite a bit for the people of AFRICA ..AIDS ETC..WONDER WHO..not Obumler...3rd spread of WMD, our child n commander sure is doing a lot about Iran. 4th..our enimies are killing each other, sounds good to me..5th..while the list could go on..the biggest is the potential of escalation of the war since we have CHINA and Russia there..bad things can happen to thier technicians who are helping the Syrians..now to the point..as bad as Obumler has botched this..imagine him as CC in a real conflict with real players..China or Russia....I SHUDDER AT THAT THOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 09/05/13 - 01:29 pm
Be respectful

You don't have to respond to or talk to anyone, but if you do, be respectful.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 01:32 pm
HA @ 1:14

"While outdated, it wasn't until AFTER the US agreed to remove the Jupiter missiles from Turkey at the demand of Khrushchev that USSR removed theirs from Cuba. Is that not in YOUR history book"

For some reason, I am smiling from ear to ear!! I wonder what it could be??

OK, I could say something "smart", but to be honest with you, MOST OF THE TIME, if I didn't see it on TV, I probably don't know it. I still say it was very brave of Kennedy to go up against The USSR.

jack234
jack234 09/05/13 - 01:35 pm
I just want to be the first

I just want to be the first to thank our president for keeping us safe and giving congress an opportunity to express themselves. So, if we break it we'll all own it as Americans. We should always support our president on these important international issues.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 01:36 pm
Jack

Is that your way of complimenting the President for doing as he usually does and find a way to make sure that he, himself, doesn't have to shoulder any responsibility for the actions that he takes, like a true leader would?

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 01:36 pm
"While outdated, it wasn't

"While outdated, it wasn't until AFTER the US agreed to remove the Jupiter missiles from Turkey at the demand of Khrushchev that USSR removed theirs from Cuba. Is that not in YOUR history book?"

And yours either.

The agreement to remove missiles from Turkey (and also Italy, which your history book seems to have left out - or you just accidently overlooked?) was made after the Russians turned their boats, with more missiles bound for Cuba, around and went home.

There was no quid pro quo.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 01:41 pm
Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 01:46 pm
"I just want to be the first

"I just want to be the first to thank our president for keeping us safe ..........."

Those at the Boston Marathon, and the Benghazi consulate probably don't share your thanks.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 01:52 pm
nofanofobama @ 1:17

"the biggest is the potential of escalation of the war since we have CHINA and Russia there..bad things can happen to thier technicians who are helping the Syrians"

Well, I guess my point about Kennedy vs. The USSR just wasn't meant to be taken as a teaching tool! I personally DON'T believe The US has been #1 in the world since Veitnam! I see US more as equals, AT BEST, to Russia and China. WE CAN NOT let Russia, China, and Iran TELL US that we can not fight against international law breaking!! I am 54 years old and have never been nor have ever wanted to be in the armed forces, BUT I do respect those that have and are currently, PERHAPS EVEN better than our own government!! I know I sound like a broken record and that I want my cake and eat it too, BUT The US needs to get the heck out of Iraq and Afghanistan and try to teach a lesson not only to Syria, BUT TO Russia, China, and Iran.

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 02:05 pm
"Prove it. Prove

"Prove it.

Prove it.

----------------------------------------------------
I concede.

This was/is a source I am not aware of. And I will print it off and add it to my "facts."

Instead of counting on Sorenson's original editing of "Thirteen Days."

allhans
allhans 09/05/13 - 02:18 pm
".....just want to be the

".....just want to be the first to thank our president for keeping us safe and giving congress an opportunity to express themselves."
You know his intent is more likely to have congress to cast the blame on if things go wrong don't you Jack?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 02:12 pm
Nice.... "facts" is in

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/05/13 - 02:30 pm
@Rhetor--9:36 am You made me

@Rhetor--9:36 am
You made me laugh out loud and I totally agree. I would be more than happy to draft the order.

Having said that, I think Syria is a hornet's nest; the country is war weary--i know that I am, and the House GOP will deny approval for a strike in spite of themselves. For once they will give America something most want. But don't tell them, lest they will vote to blow Syria to kingdom "went" if they suspect we really don't want this strike.

It is time the USA stopped paying the price for other nation's comfort and security and other nations who can contribute $$/resources put no skin the game.

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 02:31 pm
"Nice.... "facts" is in

"Nice.... "facts" is in quotes. I assume you are saying that GWU is NOT a reliable source, but a docudrama is. So if you can't refute what it says....attack the source....the typical liberal mantra."

Your remark reminds me of someone I know; if you say good morning to him or ask how he's doing, he's immediately suspicious that you're prying into his business.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 02:37 pm
The Kennedy example

The Kennedy situation happened 50 years ago. Someone on here said, "Those who don't learn history are domed to repeat it." The US is currently faced with two histories which to learn from, The Kennedy crisis and the very resent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. 50 years ago vs. the last ten years. "What to do" is the same question. Kennedy never got to the point of making major decisions about Veitnam, but we know how it ended. The lesson of Veitnam would lead ALL US citizens to say "get out of everywhere and leave Syria alone." Does Obama AND THE FREE WORLD really have the safety net of doing nothing? I am for the Syrian strike, Sen. McCain is for even more, Ultimately, even with the congress and the allies, IT IS TRULY up to Obama to weigh SOOO many factors into his decision. NOT AN EASY TASK!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 09/05/13 - 02:43 pm
Dahreese. I just doubt your

Dahreese. I just doubt your sincerity, based on EVERY post you have posted, and by the fact that you felt it necessary to put the word fact in quotes. Just making decisions based on available evidence.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 09/05/13 - 02:45 pm
dahreese @ 2:31

"Your remark reminds me of someone I know; if you say good morning to him or ask how he's doing, he's immediately suspicious that you're prying into his business"

Are you saying that there is "paranoia" amongst us?

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 02:50 pm
""What to do" is the same

""What to do" is the same question. Kennedy never got to the point of making major decisions about Veitnam,"

Actually, Kennedy was trying to get out of Vietnam when he was killed.

Some have speculated that this was the reason he was assassinated.

Others think it was because of his withdrawal of support of the Bay of Pigs at the last minute.

It is a fact that he did not trust the CIA.

Nor should we be closed minded that it was not members of the CIA who killed him.

Our recent revelations of the NSA spying on Americans has revealed that even the Congressional Intelligence Committee doesn't really know what's going on within our 'spy' services.

Rather
Rather 09/05/13 - 02:55 pm
Obama is a MUSLIM

The real issue is that Obama is a Muslim. Of what sect he is, I don't know. But why he wants the USA to get involved is because there are two sects in Syria and he wants us to fight for his side. I suspect he is on the side of the rebels. STAY OUT OF SYRIA and let them kill each other. It is not our war.

dahreese
dahreese 09/05/13 - 02:56 pm
"Are you saying that there is

"Are you saying that there is "paranoia" amongst us?"

Now, would I say that?!

I was called down yesterday for using the term "pointy head", but when I put it in quotes from the editorial that I was responding to, my remark was removed.

And today, unless there is something wrong with my computer, I can't even find the editorial itself - online.

Maybe "our editorial staff" isn't supposed to use that term, either?

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms