Grill, then allow to cool

End of Paula Deen case paves way for a path to redemption

She was sliced, diced, seared and skewered.

Now the lawsuit that put Savannah celebrity chef Paula Deen on a hot spit is quietly going away: She and Lisa Jackson, the former employee who was suing her, have both agreed to walk away from the fight amicably. Ever so amicably.

A statement in the case claimed the lawsuit was dismissed “without any award of costs or fees to any party.” But while that implies no money changed hands, that’s not necessarily the case. A settlement payment could be above and beyond any “costs or fees,” which are often associated with assessments levied by a court.

Moreover, as one law professor has noted, saying there was no “award” might simply mean that a court never entered an award. That much is true, but a cash settlement may also have been made. We may never know.

In addition, Jackson – who, as a fellow white person, a judge ruled is not entitled to sue Deen for racial discrimination – issued a statement that was wholly magnanimous and complimentary to her former boss:

“During a very difficult period in my life the Deen family gave me hope and the opportunity to work to build a brighter future for my family and me.

“I assumed that all of my complaints about the workplace environment were getting to Paula Deen, but I learned during this matter that this was not the case. The Paula Deen I have known for more than eight years is a woman of compassion and kindness and will never tolerate discrimination or racism of any kind toward anyone.

“I now know that the workplace environment issues that I raised are being reviewed and will in the future no longer be at issue.

“I wish Ms. Deen and her family all the best in all of their future endeavors and I am very pleased that this matter has now been resolved and can now be put behind us.”

Again, we don’t know if that’s all sincere and unsolicited; it would be nice to know if she got a hefty bonus for saying it.

Still, the case is over.

And though it may not exonerate Deen in the eyes of the public, or the giant retailers and media companies that dumped her like a hot potato, it does clear the way for redemption, should she seek it and be deemed worthy of it.

We don’t pretend to know if she is. But from the cheap seats, it sure seems as if she was given the death penalty for a crime – having years ago uttered the “N” word – committed by a large percentage of the population, particularly decades ago.

Americans are a forgiving lot, especially if one is truly contrite and the offense not unduly offensive. On both these counts, we suspect the outlook for Deen is promising.

But beyond her own fortunes – literally – there’s the overall question of whether America is any closer today than it ever was to moving beyond the sad acrimony of decades past.

The frenzy in this case suggests not, unfortunately.

deestafford
deestafford 08/30/13 - 04:45 am
The comments made by Jackson appear to be those

of a shyster lawyer who probably was the germ that started the whole law suit to begin with. If she was so concerned about her "complaints" getting to Paula Deen why did she never ask Paula Deen about the situation? As with many things, it was all about money because she and her lawyer originally went to Mrs Deen and asked for over $1M to settle out of court.

I think one of the reasons some of the companies dropped Mrs Deen was the poor showings she made on YouTube and the TV interviews trying to explain herself. Those did not portray a really good public image. What they did show was a very sincere Southern woman who had been deeply hurt by an unfounded accusation. She is the type who wears her emotions and feelings on her sleeves and is the what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of Southern Lady whom many could not understand when she displayed her hurt.

I do hope that she has learned who her friends are because as far as I can tell none of the big Hollywood celebrities such as Oprah and others whom she had on her show ever came to her defense.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 08/30/13 - 05:14 am
She is not the

She is not the what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of Southern Lady. It is a put on persona like pretty much all of the so called "reality" television programming. From the overdone accent on down, it's entirely fake. I don't know about her real racial feelings, but having talked to folks who are familiar with her and her family, and have been unlucky enough to work for them, the genteel part is a major put on as well. In other words, they treat their employees like dirt. I never saw the appeal to start with, even before I knew anything about her. If you grew up in the South, and had a mother, you knew how to cook pretty much anything she presented.

localguy55
localguy55 08/30/13 - 06:06 am
Take a deep breath Bodhisattva

It must be sad to wake up cynical every day Bod. Grab a cup of Java, go out side, take a deep breath, and watch the sun come up. It might make you happy.

chascushman
chascushman 08/30/13 - 06:03 am
Ms. Deen, got what she

Ms. Deen, got what she deserved. Anyone that supported the lying, racist, American hating, Marxist/communist in the WH I have no use for.

ymnbde
ymnbde 08/30/13 - 06:28 am
my goodness, i agree with bodhisvatta!

paula deen was born white
and the evil in whiteness is not just a social construct
and she never apologized... and with all the words she said!
17th century had it right
Paula is a witch, and must be punished accordingly
she survived the first trial, which obviously proves her guilt
and bod heard something that somebody said they heard what somebody else had said
and if that's good enough for him, it's good enough for me
i mean, everyone saw how she cut her eyes at people on that show...
and a racist witch at that

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/30/13 - 06:52 am
Hey, Bod, I suppose you know

Hey, Bod, I suppose you know her well? Oprah Winfrey stayed with her in Savannah a week and they seemed to get along pretty well.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/30/13 - 06:54 am
I seriously doubt we could

I seriously doubt we could even find one 60 year old adult, Republican or Democrat, white or black, who hasn't said the N word at least once in his/her life.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 08/30/13 - 07:18 am
Good one Riverman1

Just like Clinton puffing on a joint but didn't inhale.... Hahahahaha

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/13 - 07:25 am
P Deen

I bet she won't be the same trusting soul now..& who could blame her...she did the right thing by firing some folks....they didn't do her any favors with the advice to go on tv.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/13 - 07:30 am
Ohh that was a cute headline :)

Grill, & then allow to cool...

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/30/13 - 07:36 am
Seems the whole affair will

Seems the whole affair will help her. After she made a public apology her recent book release soared in sales. From a person raised in Albany Ga who use to suffer panic attacks and agoraphobia she has really accomplished a lot and took advantage of opportunities. Why diss her for being successful-more wealth or talent envy I guess. Her problem was her TV personality seemed too conservative and Rep for her progressive friends-if she had been a lesbian health nut she would have been accepted with open arms and even those nasty comments likely ignored.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/30/13 - 08:07 am
So Bod, when was the last

So Bod, when was the last time you met with her personally? I would venture a guess that you never have, and that, as usual, you simply made up all of your insulting statements about her out of thin air. Why is it when liberals can't find enough reasons to hate someone, they just make it up?

Young Fred
20528
Young Fred 08/30/13 - 08:07 am
ymnbde - seems it's a little

ymnbde - seems it's a little early for most to catch your sarcasm.

bodhisattva - most uber successful business people are hard to work for - that is if you're not used to working hard. They're demanding and don't suffer fools lightly. Nor do they put up with a lackadaisical work ethic, or a “you owe me” attitude.

Being that they are successful, they realize the worth of good employees. So those willing and able to do a good job are usually rewarded. On the other hand, getting your hiney chewed out because of a sorry attitude, or because you’re responsible for a major screw-up, is not being “treated like dirt”. A good employee will learn and grow from the experience. A sorry employee will sulk.

But wouldn’t be surprised if your opinion is otherwise.

Young Fred
20528
Young Fred 08/30/13 - 08:10 am
“if she had been a lesbian

“if she had been a lesbian health nut she would have been accepted with open arms and even those nasty comments likely ignored.”

Add vegan to the mix and she likely have a closet full of Emmys.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/30/13 - 08:14 am
I've met her. She's foul

I've met her. She's foul mouthed.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/30/13 - 08:26 am
Willow I have noticed she

Willow I have noticed she seems to like flirting with men on her show. So is she crass and a cougar too?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/30/13 - 08:26 am
Well Willow, at least you

Well Willow, at least you aren't just making it up. My guess is that all Bod really knows is that she is southern and white.....and that is reason enough to hate her, and make up as many insults as you can.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/30/13 - 08:41 am
With that said, Angie, it did

With that said, Angie, it did look like a hold up. And hopefully Deen learned from it.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 08/30/13 - 08:43 am
I don't know, Biz, but you're

I don't know, Biz, but you're starting to scare me:)

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/30/13 - 08:45 am
I'm

proud to announce that I, personally, use the "n" word often. NO.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 08/30/13 - 09:08 am
Deen

@chascushman, read comments by localguy55@7:06 AM,
they apply to you, also.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/30/13 - 09:11 am
Where, oh where, has Willow

Where, oh where, has Willow been??

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/30/13 - 09:36 am
Sorry to scare you

Sorry to scare you Willow-Deen scares me when she starts flirting. I think Bod is moving in the right direction as he finally admits people are inherently bad so next step is------maybe they need Christ or a faith. You can't make yourself not be bad-that would be like forcing yourself to not be gay if you are gay. LOL.

chascushman
chascushman 08/30/13 - 09:58 am
TM, sorry to disappoint you

TM, sorry to disappoint you but I am not 'cynical' I just state the facts and it seems a lot of people do not like it. I do criticize Obama but he is not the REAL problem. The REAL problem is having enough people that would vote the idiot in office.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/30/13 - 10:03 am
Their votes were bought and

Their votes were bought and paid for with many on the govt dole or receiving benefits for being Obama's friend. One hand washes the other in both parties.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/30/13 - 10:28 am
Well, speaking of me

Being southern and caucasian......oh; that was Paula Deen. Oh well, speaking of me being southern and caucacian, I find that I can be COMPLETELY OBJECTIVE when it comes to race issues.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/30/13 - 10:30 am
You mean completely

You mean completely "subjective" don't you-hee,hee?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/30/13 - 10:31 am
Bizkit @ 11:03

"Their votes were bought and paid for with many on the govt dole"

I wonder if moderate conservatives REALLY believe this HOG-WASH??!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/30/13 - 10:35 am
VOTE OBAMA!

People voted for Obama because the over-whelming majority of the low and middle income classes see Republicans AS FOR THE RICH!! Not wealth envy, just trying to get their rightful piece of the pie!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/30/13 - 10:43 am
If the pie isn't yours, just

If the pie isn't yours, just get the government to confiscate it and redistribute it.