The King's speech

Fifty years later, most of the 'Dream' has come to pass

If Americans today possess less knowledge of history, we’ve at least got a better feel for it. Anniversaries of society’s most significant events are commemorated religiously and spiritedly, as they should be.

Few commemorations in the past half-century have been as momentous and meaningful as today’s 50th anniversary of the Rev. Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech.

Fifty years ago today, a segregated and sinful nation was in desperate need of moral leadership.

A rising generation, black and white, was rightfully rebelling against the status quo, and was increasingly – and justifiably – impatient with it. It had been 100 years since the Emancipation Proclamation; 15 years since President Truman outlawed discrimination in the military; a decade since Brown v. Board of Education outlawed school segregation; eight years since Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott; six years since the military-aided integration of Little Rock’s Central High; three years since the Greensboro, N.C., lunch counter sit-in; two years since the freedom riders began; and a year since James Meredith’s entrance into the University of Mississippi caused rioting and even death.

How can a nation founded on such high-minded, historic, Judeo-Christian principles have fallen so short of them for so long? What were people supposed to wait for, after the soaring promise of the Constitution had been denied so long? How long should an entire race be told to sit on their dreams and be forced to pine, in vain, for basic human freedom?

More practically, how to get that freedom?

This was a nation born of the willingness to fight and die for freedom, and there were militant voices in the 1960s. But in this case, there was a better, albeit painfully slower, path – one of nonviolent change.

It was the path laid out eloquently in King’s speech.

King did not shrink from calling for peaceful rebellion. He was not meek, warning that “there will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.”

Yet, he quickly cautioned African-Americans that, “In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline.”

He called for peace, but insisted on justice. In so doing, he could not have set a better tone for a turbulent time.

In fact, for both its eloquence and impact, scholars have named King’s speech the country’s best in all of the 20th century.

Nor was it merely a speech or a call to action. It was as powerful a closing argument as any jury has ever been witness to. He argued that America had signed a promissory note in its lofty founding documents – the promise of freedom, the promise of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness – but that, for African-Americans, it had turned out to be a bad check marked “insufficient funds.”

“In a sense we’ve come to our nation’s capital to cash a check,” he said.

Fifty years later, most of what King called for has come to pass. Right was on his side, but now so is the law – and, from all appearances, most hearts. But his dream of a unified nation seems gloomily distant still, thanks in large part to a government that impedes individual initiative and media that too often deny progress and delight in division – which only eggs on the self-serving demagogues. The cup of bitterness and hatred runneth over.

This was not King’s dream, nor should it be our reality.

Let it be our dream that on every Aug. 28, this fervent commemoration would be more about victory than victimization – not about having to overcome, but about having done it.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 09:25 am
Then you need to educate

Then you need to educate yourself some more. Don't just take the word of the things you have heard, and actually read. Read the court transcripts, etc. Start with the link I posted. If you truly want to learn you will at least try. Otherwise, just close your mind and continue believing what you have been told.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/28/13 - 09:26 am
I'm surprised that

I'm surprised that progressives glorify MLKjr because he was a devout Christian minister ( course he had his foibles) and that doesn't fit in their movement to make america secular without any of those silly ignorant religion myths that makes us weak in science. I guess his race trumps his religion to the progressive.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 09:49 am
I find it ironic that you

I find it ironic that you accuse people of being bigoted, and call them red-necks in the same sentence. How ironic! That would be like someone saying "those darn n-word racist !

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/28/13 - 09:31 am
MLKjr family believe the

MLKjr family believe the mafia and the govt ( Kennedy administration) are responsible for his death.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 09:33 am
HA & Bizkit @ 10:18

"See your mentality will just breed more violence and racism"

This mentality IS the second nature of why racism EVEN EXISTS from African-Americans. And to continue to blame African Americans for the bad that was caused by affirmative action is just rediculous. AGAIN, the over-whelming majority of the governing bodies that created affirmative action were caucasian people!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 09:37 am
Bizkit @ 10:26

"I guess his race trumps his religion to the progressive"

Many liberals don't see being religious as being in any way bad.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 09:41 am
t3bledsoe, people are

t3bledsoe, people are responsible for their own actions. People who are being racist today chose to be racist. You can't keep blaming it on someone else. Using YOUR logic, it would be perfectly ok for me to be racist towards blacks since some have been racist toward me, but since I am NOT the animal that you seem to think all people are, I have self control and choose to NOT do that. All people have this ability; it is what separates us from animals, but some chose to do what is easy instead.

Honestly answer this. Would you be so supportive of a new law that favors whites over blacks in response to the generations that the whites have been discriminated by affirmative action? After all...according to you it is just the natural reaction.

And AGAIN...no one is blaming affirmative action on blacks....it is a racist policy regardless of who wrote it or who enforces it.

follower 08/28/13 - 09:42 am
Read all the post to this

Read all the post to this point. Wow, questionable reasoning for some!

If anyone would desire to participate in the "war" on poverty, drugs, crime, rampant birth to single mothers, gang violence,...........
please begin by not shooting yourselves in the foot.

Obtain the free education available. Work hard and resist buying what you want if it challenges you financially. Obey the law. An arrest record seriously damages opportunity. Don't father or birth children unless you are married and can offer them stability.

And the biggest surprise of all is that this formula works regardless of race.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 09:42 am
"Many liberals don't see

"Many liberals don't see being religious as being in any way bad."

You wouldn't know that by reading these forums.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 09:44 am
Bizkit @ 10:31

"MLKjr family believe the mafia and the govt ( Kennedy administration) are responsible for his death"

This will never be proven, just like Kennedy's assassination will never be proven. I choose to believe that both men were assassinated becauce they were major treats to others' beliefs.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 09:47 am
HA @ 10:42

""Many liberals don't see being religious as being in any way bad."

You wouldn't know that by reading these forums"

I tend to believe, "OTHER THAN MYSELF", the commenters on this forum tend to be VERY HARD CORE conservatives and liberals!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/28/13 - 09:50 am
Give me a break

Kennedy was assassinated by a lone nut who wanted to make a name for himself. No conspiracy. MLK I don't know. Never studied it.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 09:51 am
I think claiming that 6

I think claiming that 6 non-black jurists are incapable of rendering a fair verdict because they are not black, is VERY hard core. So is claiming that it is natural to fight racism with more racism, and justify it at every turn.......as long as someone who isn't black is the victim.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/28/13 - 10:01 am
Shrimp

Help me out here. Bledsoe says the King family thinks the Kennedy Administration was responsible. What's he talking about? What Kennedy Administration? In 1968? Did Bobby get elected while I wasn't paying attention?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 10:01 am
HA @ 10:51

"I think claiming that 6 non-black jurists are incapable of rendering a fair verdict because they are not black, is VERY hard core. So is claiming that it is natural to fight racism with more racism, and justify it at every turn.......as long as someone who isn't black is the victim"

SOOO, is this "HUMBLE ANGELA" speak for "Tim is an ultra-liberal"?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 10:10 am
Do you think those are ultra

Do you think those are ultra liberal views? Most people would.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 10:10 am
HA @ 11:04

"Do you think those are ultra liberal views"

I tend to believe my views are moderate and that I can see things as they are.

soldout
soldout 08/28/13 - 10:11 am
shrimp for breakfast

It makes me hungry when I see your name. The reason I bring in my faith is I do lots of research and I have found that if I say something about health or anything else that if I run it through my Bible filter, I don't have to change that view in 15 or 20 years. Two quick examples; when they started using sunscreen I said it would increase skin cancer and it has doubled since the use began for women ( don't have numbers for men). I said treating high cholesterol was a fraud because breast milk is 75% cholesterol and your body decides what level your cholesterol needs to be based on other factors. The jury is still out on that one but research shows that cholesterol below 200 reduces brain function and more folks have heart attacks with low cholesterol than with high. Since most problems have a spiritual root I tend to focus on fixing that. Thank you for your comments. If 99 think I am off base but if 1 is healed, helped or led to a relationship to Jesus it worth it to me. Be blessed in all things.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 10:13 am
You actually think the belief

You actually think the belief that white jurors are incapable of rendering a fair verdict, based solely on the color of their skin, is a moderate view? Wow! All I can say is wow. Who knew that such racist views could be so moderate. I would hate to see what you consider a hard core racist to be.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 10:12 am
HA @ 11:10

HEY, no fair editing your post after I had read it already!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 10:13 am
Edited...but the meaning

Edited...but the meaning stayed the same.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 10:16 am
HA @ 11:12

"You actually think the belief that white jurors are incapable of rendering a fair verdict, based solely on the color of their skin, is a moderate view? Wow! All I can say is wow"

You may have an arguement about Obama's and my views of this verdict, BUT what about self-proclaimed Republican Colon Powel?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 10:22 am
HA @ 11:13

"I would hate to see what you consider a hard core racist to be"

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 10:22 am
Soldout....I would like to

Soldout....I would like to see the research you base your numbers on. Particularly that breast milk is 75% cholesterol. Since 37% of breast milk is carbohydrates, the math doesn't quite add up.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 10:24 am
"My view of an ultra-racist

"My view of an ultra-racist would be a caucasian with a white sheet and hood to match."

Very telling that your only stated view of an ultra-racist is a Caucasian.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/28/13 - 10:27 am
What does Powell have to do

What does Powell have to do with anything? You DO realize that a racist can belong to any party, don't you?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 10:28 am
HA @ 11:24

"What does Powell have to do with anything"

He said, on Sunday on Face the Nation, he thought there was something wrong with the justice system "down there".

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/28/13 - 10:30 am
Editing

WHAT'S up with the editing business? Bucking for a job with ACES?

Jake
Jake 08/28/13 - 10:34 am
A Good Question.....

......"How can a nation founded on such high-minded, historic, Judeo-Christian principles have fallen so short of them for so long?"

Thats a good question because you know the Augusta Chronicle editorial staff from the 1940's through the 1960's was very supportive of the civil rights movement and wanted to share that support with it's readers.

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.