We know their type

Try not to make too much of typo on GRU diplomas

Our cartoonist, Rick McKee, had some fun with it on Thursday. That’s his job, and he’s superb at it.

Diplomas for the 14 summer graduates of Georgia Regents University's Pamplin College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences mispelled "college."  SPECIAL
SPECIAL

And, after all, the subject matter was irresistibly rich. It seems that the diplomas for Georgia Regents University’s 14 summer graduates spelled college “colllege.”

But editorially, we just can’t give the school “L” for the mistake.

There are misspellings, and then there are typographical errors. The difference is often that one is intentional and the other is not. A misspelling can be a sign that you simply don’t know how to spell the word.

If that had been true in this case, the diplomas might have read “collage.” Now, that we’d hold up to ridicule!

Clearly, though, it was simply a typo, a finger llingering on the LL key.

Heavens, if we cann’t forgive a typo in this day and age, truly we are doomed. Everyone and their dog has a keyboard, often the size of a palm. How in the world can the over-thumbed among us be expected to type correctly on those things?

Besides, we’re awash in words. If alphabets were mined from the ground, we’d be running perilously short of letters. They’re raining down on us like water on Noah. There’s simply going to be some wayward ones. Even in newspapers, for heaven’s sake!

You could say that we’re going against type here. After all, we work hard to avoid typos, and today’s Internet fashion of abbreviating and
eviscerating words drives us purists up the wall.

But writers have to stick up for their type. You won’t find a baseball pitcher criticizing another for walking a batter. It happens. And while we’ll cringe for them, we won’t reprove the proofers.

Even as typos go, GRU’s wasn’t even all that embarrassing or farcical.

A momentary brain lapse can be much more mortifying – such as when the Associated Press tried to refer to a woman as a socialite and it came out as “socialist.”

He apparently never went to collage.

corgimom
corgimom 08/18/13 - 11:34 pm
"And while we’ll cringe for

"And while we’ll cringe for them, we won’t reprove the proofers."

I know that's officially correct, but reprove to me is something that you prove twice.

Chris 232
Chris 232 08/19/13 - 12:08 am
Nicely written EXCEPT for....

Paragraph 4:
"A misspelling can be a sign that you simply don’t know how to spell the word."
-- In order for this sentence to be grammatically correct, the two articles need to agree: "A" is an indefinite article, whereas "the" is definite.

Paragraph 7:
"Heavens, if we cann’t forgive a typo"
-- I thought the correct spelling of the contraction "can not" is "can't."

Paragraph 8:
"They’re raining down on us like water on Noah."
-- Not a syntax or grammatical error, but definitely an illogical reference, i.e. "Noah" never existed. Every atheist worth his/her salt knows that's true!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/19/13 - 10:15 am
I reprove

a Tea Party member when they mispell my name. I dissapprove of a democrat that breathes the same air that I do.

dahreese
dahreese 08/19/13 - 10:19 am
corgimom 08/18/13 - 11:34 pm

corgimom 08/18/13 - 11:34 pm

No pun intended....

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/19/13 - 10:48 am
Sure typos happen

Sure typos happen all the time as do lapses in grammar. I remember a time for about two weeks I found at least one a day in a place real close when I was ticked about something. Remember THAT Chronicle?

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/19/13 - 11:54 am
If I see a typo, tense problem or anything I just send

Sean a note and he gets it fixed because he is the "man!"

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 08/19/13 - 12:00 pm
Thanks

Thank you Sweet son. I am happy to help with anything.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/19/13 - 05:05 pm
Typo or now, I wouldn't want

Typo or now, I wouldn't want that on MY diploma. I would be furious. If I read that on someone else's I would think it was a fraudulent/counterfeit diploma. BTW What in the world is Pamplin College or Colllege as it says? I've never heard of it. I thought all this name changing was supposed to make the GRU campus a more well-known entity than MCG and ASU separately were? Is Pamplin College another new name for Augusta State University Campus? Isn't ASU still teaching Arts? Humanities? Social Sciences? and MORE? If Pamplin and ASU aren't the same why these redundant curriculums under the GRU umbrella?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/19/13 - 06:21 pm
A 11:34 Before A 10:19

sure would look like a reprove to me.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/19/13 - 08:11 pm
I've always thought it

I've always thought it humorous people try to make an argument that the Bible has errors so it is some how wrong or disproven (geez what logic)-well there are few books that don't. Most science text books are filled with errors yet that doesn't negate science or the content of the book. Often we forget the objective is communication and some technicalities really don't negate the ideas being communicated. I use to be a stickler for technique with a musical instrument-now I am so arthritic I'm good to just play, but I still get the job done. Even if they misspelled "college" they still earned the degree and have the knowledge to prove it.

Darby
Darby 08/20/13 - 11:52 am
"You could say that we’re going against

type here."

Was that pun intended???

"Or like when actor Rob Lowe took to Twitter to upbraid a reporter for improper English – but spelled it “grammer.”

He apparently never went to collage."

Or even to colllege... If he'd been Matt Damon's kid, he could have gone to private school and learned to spell. Might have even learned a thing or two about grammar.