Crumbling character

Losing our morals could very well lose us our country

“A great and noble nation will not sever its political from its moral life.”

– Sam Tilden

Time was, when a scandalized politician and his paramour would both slink mercifully away.

Not so today.

Cybersleaze Anthony Weiner and his cyberslut Sydney Leathers aren’t just staying in the public eye, they’re doing it proudly – he as a New York mayoral candidate, she as an adult entertainer who finds conservative women revolting and inhibited.

“Conservative girls are really uptight. It makes me think of all those, like you know, Fox News fembots who obviously are self-loathing or they wouldn’t be Republican and female, in my opinion,” she says.

If life were about nothing more than a good time, she might be right. But that’s not what life is about. In fact, as if to prove the point, life has a way of seeing inveterate pleasure-seekers crash and burn.

We noted the death of shame in an editorial July 28. But in reality, it’s worse than that: In America today, you can openly promote loose morals and express contempt for morality – and be celebrated.

This isn’t just a matter of “uptight” tsk-tsking of immorality. It’s a matter of survival for a self-governed nation.

“No people who lost their character kept their liberties,” says Lawrence W. Reed, president of the Foundation for Economic Education. “Bad character leads to bad policy and bad economics, which is bad for liberty. Without character, a free society is not just unlikely, it’s impossible.”

It was, ironically enough, a historian in ancient Rome, Livy, who noted ominously:

“There is an exceptionally beneficial and fruitful advantage to be derived from the study of the past. There you see, set in the clear light of historical truth, examples of every possible type. From these you can select for yourself and your country what to imitate, and also what, as being mischievous in its inception and disastrous in its consequences, you should avoid.”

It turned out to be an epitaph for the Roman empire – and perhaps an omen for America.

Ancient Rome, like America, was a republic born of the throwing off of tyranny. It initially feared a repeat of tyranny so much that it established a system of diffuse power that included dual consuls who were term-limited.

But Romans eventually learned they could, as Reed notes, “not just work for a living, but vote for one.” In other words, they began to elect leaders who would take from others and give to them. It changed the relationship between government and citizen, and how people looked at income and work.

Pretty soon it was free wheat for the masses, and a third of Rome was receiving some sort of subsidy. There was easy and even free credit, a debased currency, bailed-out cities, free wheat now baked into bread – and a withering of means testing for benefits. Freedoms were lost to dependency, and politicians became increasingly drunk on power, politics progressively vitriolic.

Any of this sound vaguely familiar?

For Reed, a Newnan resident, the lessons of Rome’s collapse and similar historical misadventures are threefold:

1) you can’t have freedom for long without responsibility

2) restrained and diffuse power is preferable to unrestrained and concentrated power

3) “The here-and-now is rarely as important as tomorrow. Plan accordingly.”

“Romans once lived for the future,” Reed adds.

So did Americans. Today, we not only tend to eat our own seed corn, but to also have the government provide us with somebody else’s.

Sometimes literally: A news report this past week told of economically depressed mountain folks in North Carolina who repeatedly turned down federal government offers of free food, but finally relented when offered free seed. The social worker who found a way to break down the residents’ dedication to self-reliance got an award for doing so.

Like those good folks’ resolve, character, it seems, is crumbling in America.

Reed believes there is no easy answer, that young people must be taught the virtues of character early and often.

“America,” says Reed, “needs more people who can’t be bought.”

We couldn’t agree more.

corgimom
corgimom 08/18/13 - 02:48 pm
"The way I see if, if you can

"The way I see if, if you can get into an all-out brawl because someone called you a name, you can flip a burger at a restaurant. If you can carry TV's out of someone house, that you're burglarizing, you can paint someones house."

Myfather, you arrest them. I lived with them all around me.

You want your wife, your kids around people like that? You'd trust them around your family, your property, your possessions?

NOT. ME.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/18/13 - 03:00 pm
Women / vs. / Men

"If life were about nothing more than a good time, she might be right."

To kind of tie my comment to the above statement: WITH ALL DUE RESPECT to women, WHY is it that women seem to be able to wear ABSOLUTELY anything and be considered stylish !! I mean, flat shoes, ultra-high heels, tank tops, man's suit and tie ! WHERE IS the fairness in this DOUBLE STANDARD ! Don't women think men deserve to be comfortable ?? Tank tops, muscle shirts, shorts, NO men's suit ?? I mean, if a man were to try to get away with this type of dress code wear, WE WOULD be sent home and probably be called names !! JUST SAYIN' the dress codes are not fair !!

faithson
faithson 08/18/13 - 03:05 pm

They already have annual inserts that women use for birth control. I know of more than a few ladies who practice BC that way. Once a year check up with Doc. The insert can be removed at anytime, should the patient desire to become 'fertile'. In the case I mention, the 'courts' will have mandated that the women's fertility be taken away in a manner that will allow for just what you said, future fertility, but only by the women addressing the court to 'prove' she is capable of being a parent, as her previous qualifications were called into question.
it's not rocket science...

corgimom
corgimom 08/18/13 - 03:07 pm
t3bled, when men wear Spanx

t3bled, when men wear Spanx and panty hose, we'll talk.

Both of those things were invented by Satan. They are voluntary torture.

As for tank tops, unless you work on a beach, or outdoors, they look like crap on everybody, men and women. Come to think of it, they look like crap on a beach or outdoors, too.

Same with muscle shirts, unless you are in a gym.

And people want to talk about the fat women- MEN IN A SPEEDO, MY EYES, MY EYES, MY EYES!!!! EEEEEEEE!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/18/13 - 03:10 pm
corgimom @ 3:48

"There is more to working than a back and two arms and two hands. There are a lot of soft skills, intangible skills, some of them being not possessing any personality disorders or mental illnesses or mental impairments."

Some of these mental disorders are OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ), Bi-Polar, Scyzophrinia, Depression, and IED ( Intermittent Exploesive Disorder ) [ which is probably the one that causes violent behavior ]. Take it from me, when you try to hold down a job, EVEN WITH JUST one or two of these, it can be dangerous for ones self and potential co-workers !!

faithson
faithson 08/18/13 - 03:12 pm
t3

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/18/13 - 03:19 pm
Editorial / LTE

Man, I have just about picked this editorial apart. Nothing much more to say, BUT I will try ! ( LOL ) I REALLY HOPE tomorrow's editorial and LTE's are something that us liberals can REALLY sink our teeth into !!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/18/13 - 03:22 pm
ARE THERE no North Augustans here

There are no North Augustans on here that have anything to say about Project Jackson ??

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 03:24 pm
Corgimom

"No, they can't work. There is something wrong with them. I wouldn't want them cooking me a hamburger, I wouldn't allow them to paint my house. Ever. I wouldn't ever want to work along side of them, or employ them."

"All the ones that you arrest- you want them on your property? You want them doing something to your house? You want to eat food that they cook?"

What I want, is for them to straighten their lives out; get off drugs, become decent productive citizens!! I want them to STOP contributing to the destruction of this society!!

Then, after they've straighten themselves out; darn right I would have them do work around my house!! But NO, not while they're still addicted to drugs!!

So, what should we do? Keep funnelling money to people who CHOOSE to abuse narcotics their entire lives?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/18/13 - 03:28 pm
Welfare to Workfare

90 % are capable of doing something. Roads and Bridges maintenance, public building maintenance, day care, adult/senior center maintenance. Public park maintenance, Farm work, cleaning ditches. If your under 65 and able, then you work for it. If you have some setbacks and need a hand it's one thing, if you keep having children and then abandoning them to your other family members so they can get benefits too then you should be sterilized. Before you scream, I DO KNOW what I'm talking about. I see it everyday!!!! I guarantee illegals won't be finding jobs here if people had to work for the FREE living they get now!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/18/13 - 03:30 pm
faithson @ 4:12

"u do no you make my point with your 3.42. after the second, a hearing should have been called for. the 40 grand was just the beginning of what has become for some, a lifetime of checks in the mail, checks we must find a way of diminishing. Throwing people out in the street like so many suggest is not a viable solution, period"

To even further the mooching point, this family declared bankruptcy, kept all most everything, AND STILL has satilight TV !! THIS IS WHEN THE government needs to step in and stop this out-right fraud !!

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 03:33 pm
faithson

I see your point, and it is a valid point. There are people out here who have absolutely NO business being a parent, I totally agree. I also hear your ideas of the system and it doesn't sound unreasonable.

My problem is, it scares the living crap out of me; to allow the government this type of power. The power to start regulating peoples reproduction. If we allow this, where are the limits? What else can government decide to do, for the "best interests" of society. As much as I see this problem with my own two eyes, I'm still VERY uneasy about government being allowed to FORCE people into mandated BC. This is NOT China or Russia, this Country is based on Free Will.

People should be decent, responsible human beings of their own free will. How do you correct this, without interfering with Free will? You will NEVER be able to legislate or regulate human beings into being responsible, productive citizens!! If you allow the government to regulate reproductive rights, what will be the next target? Could be anything they disagree with!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/18/13 - 03:34 pm
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts @ 4:28

"I guarantee illegals won't be finding jobs here if people had to work for the FREE living they get now!"

YOU SAID IT !! The illegals ARE doing the jobs that should be being done by many on welfare.

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 03:42 pm
Corgimom

My comment was in response to your snide comment!!

"I'd far rather deal with two committed consenting adult homosexuals getting married, than look at the drunks, criminals, drug addicts, wife-beaters, adulters, child-abusers, and child molesters, many of whom are heterosexual and married.

But I guess all that is ok, as long as a man is married to a woman. That's not as immoral."

Which in my opinion was a sly way of attacking hetrosexuals, putting them ALL into the categories you mentioned!!

I NEVER said those people can't LOVE their adopted children, or can't be good parents!! Don't put words in my mouth!! I was ONLY pointing out, as I usually do; that NATURE ITSELF had dictated who the NATURAL parents are!! You can't refute that with rational logic!! The tired argument about hetrosexual couples that can't procreate is ridiculous!!! That's called a HEALTH ISSUE; and has NOTHING to do with two people being born that CAN NOT procreate with each other, PERIOD!! No science/technology can change that!! And Yes, I believe PROCREATION is the most important aspect of relationships!! Yes, emotions and love are certainly up there, but if couples didn't procreate, NONE of us would be here!! Advanced technology hasn't been around that long!! If people in history didn't NATURALLY procreate, we wouldn't be here to argue this point!! They didn't have artificial insemination in the 1800's!!

Now, to repeat; that has NOTHING to do with those people and their ability to LOVE, period!!

KSL
KSL 08/18/13 - 03:48 pm
Bledsoe

Occasionally you don't sound like much of a liberal.

myfather15
myfather15 08/18/13 - 04:33 pm
Corgimom

Occasionally sounds like she has rock solid common sense; other times, sounds like she is OFF her rocker!!

I suppose we call ALL have those days!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/18/13 - 05:38 pm
" Why go all the way to New

" Why go all the way to New York and worry about a 4th place mayoral candidate"

Bod...because he is a sick little pervert, that's why. Sanford had an affair. Happens every day. Not sick, unfortunate, but perfectly understandable if you do a little research on the temperament and nasty disposition of his rich ex-wife. And he did not break in to anything. That has already been proven and resolved.

But nice try for your usual attempt to divert the discussion with your usual "but what about this other guy who did this NOT THE SAME THING 5 years ago". At least you are consistent about being totally irrelevant to the current discussion.

Good piece AC. Unfortunately the people who need to read and understand what you are saying are totally incapable of doing so.

faithson
faithson 08/18/13 - 05:48 pm

it is all about the 'LAW'. Create a law that will address the worst of the worst that WE KNOW exist. It is 'their' decision to efface the law that constitutes state action. WE must find agreement within the legislators to 'write' such a law in a way that protects your concerns and mine as well. It can be done. It must be done.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/18/13 - 08:56 pm
I agree with

I agree with ColdBeerandPeanuts that work is the answer-course we need to have work. Many handicapped can and want to work but there are those who can't. Other than that everyone should be workin'-including non-violent criminals too. They should serve their time basically as indentured servants rather than a tax burden in prison. Pay back and try to give a trade and re-entry into society. Prisons have become a great example of evolution producing better criminals savvy to the legal system so non-violent criminals should work their way to freedom-yeah sounds draconian but I would award full citizenship too for a second chance. If you screw up again then incarceration for prolong periods as a deterrent. Violent criminals need life incarceration or death and I'm torn on the death penalty. We can see if we can breed the violence outta da system. If you are dead or in prison you can't reproduce and pass on the violent trait. Yep eugenics. I think progressives will do that to conservatives through Obama care. I'm startin' a conspiracy theory. Hee,hee,hee.

Darby
Darby 08/18/13 - 09:28 pm
"Why go all the way to New York and worry

about a 4th place mayoral candidate when you have the great example of the comeback kid, Mark "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" Sanford" (R) right next door?"

There goes good old Bod with his misdirection tactics again.

Bod, do you think it could be because when all this started, the Big Weiner was NUMBER ONE, NUMERO UNO, in those same polls?

Also, the fact that Sanford, the Appalachian Trail Hiker is old news now? Unless you, Bod have an update for us?

Do you?... If not.....

Maybe you'd prefer to talk about "Filthy Filner" or "Love Client Number 8". Both are VERY MUCH in the news right now.

specsta
specsta 08/18/13 - 10:10 pm
Sunday Sermon

ACES, you guys just won't let up, will you?

Let's continue the blame game. Let's make it harder for those who have less. Let's make it easier for those who have much.

If a person needs help and utilizes government services, somehow they are taking money out of the pocket of the rich. If the government subsidizes billion-dollar corporations, then that's okay. If more people need SNAP benefits, then that just proliferates laziness. If the Defense Department wastes billions of dollars and destroys perfectly good equipment (Iraq, anyone?), that's a cost-cutting measure.

Anything involving big business becoming bigger and paying less taxes - God bless 'em per the word of ACES. Anything involving giving help to needy human beings, those needy folks must be the demon-seed of laziness, taking valuable resources from the rich. And yes and amen, according to the gospel of ACES.

Let's blame those who are homeless and broke and hungry. All the while, make it harder to get an education (those poor banks must have their ever-growing interest payments). Let's make healthcare the province of the rich (those poor folks are going to die anyway). And let's make sure the top 1% keeps their money at whatever cost, even if it means paying slave wages to the workers in the factory.

Rich = good. Poor = evil and lazy. Thus is the word of ACES.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 08/18/13 - 10:08 pm
Bod @05:44

All those thumbs down says everything you need to know about the hypocrisy on this forum and the inability to accept the truth.

Darby
Darby 08/18/13 - 11:46 pm
Oh, Specsta, how you do ramble.

"Let's make healthcare the province of the rich (those poor folks are going to die anyway)."
Strange, I thought rich people died too.

"And let's make sure the top 1% keeps their money at whatever cost, even if it means paying slave wages to the workers in the factory."
See, that's your problem. One of many that is. You really think that you few selected and self appointed elitists should have the power to distribute wealth. BTW, what factory? Most have moved overseas in order to survive.

Anyway, I'm still looking for the folks who draw "slave wages." Last time I checked, slaves don't get paid.

Same old socialist propaganda. You never tire of spouting it. People who see it for what it is never tire of laughing about it.

Socialism, and Karl Marx are relics of a failed past. Accept it!

chascushman
chascushman 08/19/13 - 10:28 am
"Socialism, and Karl Marx are

"Socialism, and Karl Marx are relics of a failed past. Accept it!"
Darby, I have to disagree with that statement. The socialists/communists/progressives have taken over the democrat party and we have a Marxist/communist in the WH

Darby
Darby 08/20/13 - 10:11 pm
Well, chascushman, at some level I'd have

to agree. However, I was speaking of the socialist inability to govern successfully and endure in the long run.

From that prospective, Marxism is as dead as the man himself, buried there in London.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...