A running problem

When is attempting to elude law enforcement ever a good idea?

School’s back in session, and here’s one lesson we wish they’d teach kids:

Don’t run from your problems, or even from perceived problems. You’ll only make them worse.

That was evident enough on Friday’s front page of The Augusta Chronicle, which featured two stories about three people who attempted to elude deputies.

Two of them were a man and a woman who dove into bodies of water to try to escape law enforcement officers in separate incidents in Richmond and Columbia counties.

Kelsey Megan Beverlin, 20, was being served a warrant for probation violation at her home Thursday when she jumped into a nearby pond to escape. She did – for about 45 minutes. She swam around until she made deputies get into a boat to fish her out.

In an unrelated case, a man, identified as Nicholas Bradley Adams, 28, was reportedly stopped for running a red light at 13th and Broad about 12:30 a.m. He ran and then swam across the Augusta Canal, leaving behind a rather conspicuous assortment of an SUV, a passenger and some alleged contraband.

What were these two thinking? Did they think they’d never be found? That they could run – or swim – from their problems and any accountability attached to them?

How shortsighted is it to think you can evade responsibility by jumping in a pond or canal and leaving your home or car behind? Did they think deputies would throw up their hands and give up and leave? Now, on top of whatever other problems they had, they’ll also have to answer for attempting to elude authorities.

And every time some Einstein tries to get away from police, they’re lucky if nothing tragic occurs.

Things happen when people are being pursued, none of them being good. Property gets damaged, lives get put at risk.

And, oh by the way, it costs law-abiding citizens money, in the deployment of extra personnel and equipment to round up these myopic mavericks.

It’s deep in the American psyche today to believe we can avoid all pain, even that which is richly deserved. But in doing so, we sometimes double it.

Stand up, kids, and be responsible for your actions. And as Jim Carrey’s lawyer character bluntly tells a client in the movie Liar Liar, “Stop breaking the law!” But if you can’t, at least take your lumps with a modicum of dignity.

Grow up, for Pete’s sake.

The third fleeing suspect on Friday’s front page turned out not to be a suspect at all. Kyvan James and his mother say the 15-year-old and another youth were running from deputies investigating a burglary – but that they did so “out of fear. They panicked.”

His mother filed a complaint with the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office, after James sustained some facial injuries in the incident.

You can understand why the deputies would be suspicious of two people running from a burglary scene. Even Kyvan’s mother acknowledges they shouldn’t have run. You can also understand a young black man’s heightened state of nervousness, what with the hyperbole surrounding the Trayvon Martin case. Indeed, Kyvan recalls a feeling of not wanting to be another Trayvon.

It’s too bad that’s the case. It need not be. There’s a sad, dangerous mythology that’s built up around the Trayvon Martin case.

The truth is, George Zimmerman, whatever he thought he was, was not a policeman.

Nor was Trayvon Martin the innocent baby the media and race baiters have portrayed.

The result is a climate of fear – a perilous one at that.

It can’t help that one of the officers involved in the James case has been fired after allegations of excessive force against the young man. Making the case that it’s a bad idea to run from law enforcement will be all the more difficult now.

Still, it’s a case we hope Sheriff Richard Roundtree – the county’s first black sheriff – will make. We urge him to use this case as an opportunity for greater mutual understanding between his department and the community.

myfather15
myfather15 08/13/13 - 05:54 am
It's pathetic this young man

It's pathetic this young man had to throw out the Trayvon Martin comparison. People will take FULL advantage of any situation to further they own goals!!

Again, as this article pointed out, Zimmerman wasn't the police you idiot!!! The police didn't shoot Martin, so how in the world can you use this comparison, besides to garner some sympathy from other morons, like yourself!!

People are simply getting SICK of seeing people act deplorable and then hearing PATHETIC excuses for that behavior!! Grow up and start acting like a decent human being!! Don't be around people who act disorderly, don't be out all hours of the night; nothing good happens at night. Don't do things ANY common sense person would know not to do, like walking onto other's property.

myfather15
myfather15 08/13/13 - 08:44 am
I had a situation last week

I had a situation last week where some young moron was on my property. I was inside the house and my children came in and said "Daddy, theres a boy standing in our yard." I looked and there was a black teenager, standing in my yard, near where I have tomatoes and cucumber's planted. That's about 10 yards or so into my yard, from the roadway.

Now, I went and asked the teenager why he was standing in my yard. He stated "I'm waiting on my boss to come pick me up and I thought it would be alright." The kid wasn't doing anything seriously wrong, just had earphones in, listening to music and walking around in circles. But WHY, would anyone just walk onto someone elses property? My parents would have NEVER allowed this and would have taught me better than to just walk into someones yard. I tried to talk to the young man and tell him he shouldn't just walk into peoples yards, especially if he doesn't know the person.

This young man acted like he was annoyed at ME asking him why he is own MY property; like (I) was doing something wrong!! So, I then asked him "Do you see those beware of dog signs?" He said yes. I then said "Since you think its alright to just stand in my yard, I think it will be alright next time, to NOT talk to you about it and just let my German Shepherd out of the house. I promise you, you won't be standing in my yard very long after that."

The teen just turned and walked away, without a word. Not an apology or anything else. How is this understandable? How do people have zero respect for anyone else and their property?

P.S. Next time, I will turn the Shepherd loose first!! He will NOT cross into the pavement, but certainly that young man will have the scare of his life and take off running. Because my Shepherd WILL go after him if he is in my yard.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/13 - 07:26 am
Days gone bye bye

I can remember days ago (many days ago) we didn't worry about where a yard started & ended...we just played with friends & ran all over the place.....did the increase of crime change all of that? Maybe so, but I wish we still had the carefree way of living.
We would ride our bikes all over the streets & never worry about someone running us out of a place or yard....so sad that seldom happens today.

We are doing something wrong & I don't have a clue what we can do to change the direction....that is sad.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/13 - 07:31 am
Also about crime

I can't remember a single home in our neighborhood (in the 50s) having a breakin.....mainly because all we had was a bunch of children.hahah...& dogs.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 08/13/13 - 08:09 am
No respect

for anyone and taught that at home. They have been taught to use fear to intimidate anyone they come in contact with then cry racism when people avoid them or watch them closely. You can't have it both ways.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/13/13 - 08:49 am
With the civil rights

act of 1964, the voting rights act of 1965 and passage of affirmative action, why not have everyone commit civil disobedience? Running, or swimming in these cases, from the law is now the civil duty of the accused. look at o.j. He ran from the law with an accomplice driving his Bronco and was a free man.

myfather15
myfather15 08/13/13 - 08:58 am
Seenitb4

I understand what you're saying and I've lived those times as well. I'm also VERY tolerant of others and don't get upset at small things. I wasn't upset that he was in my yard, but I wanted to know WHY. His attitude is what started getting me upset. He seemed to believe he had a right to be in MY YARD!! I also have small children (8 and 6 year old girls, and two 6 month old twins) so I'm VERY careful about who is on my property! That's why I got the German Shepherd in the first place.

Also, I used to have teenagers that cut through my yard constantly, trying to get to the neighborhood behind ours; because they didn't want to walk just a little farther on the road. They started wearing a grove in my yard from all the traffic. I didn't like the grass being killed, so I talked very nice with them; haven't had a problem since. They were very nice about it.

I didn't get upset, because I realize it's human nature to be LAZY; I'm guilty of it myself from time to time. How many times have you been to a public building with sidewalks, and see people cut through the grass, just to save a little walking? It happens all the time!

If you're going from point A to point B and come across a field, most people go across the middle of the field because it's the shortest distance and less effort. The Marines taught us that if you go across the middle of the field, YOU'RE DEAD!! You walked the LONG way around, using the tree line for cover, but it takes more time and effort.

grouse
grouse 08/13/13 - 11:04 am
"You can understand why the

"You can understand why the deputies would be suspicious of two people running from a burglary scene." No, they weren't. According to The Chronicle's article of Aug. 8th: "According to Kenya James and her son, the teen was walking to his Gebhardt Court home with another 15-year-old about 11 p.m just as deputies responded to a possible burglary at a nearby residence on Leawood Court.
"After seeing the two teens on a path from Leawood to Gebhardt Court, officers started chasing them, according to Kenya James. Both boys ran toward James’ home, and and Kyvan was caught by the deputies." So, they weren't walking from "burglary scene," the were walking home...

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/13/13 - 11:23 am
Roundtree and some of our

Roundtree and some of our commissioners just ran their flags up the flagpole.

White officers are put on notice......do not apprehend any young black male suspects in primarily black neighborhoods. If you see a suspect, tell them to stop. If they don't stop, shrug your shoulders and write up a report. LET THEM GO. If you chase them and catch them, more than likely the perp is going to get SOME KIND of injury in the take down and subduing. Your job is on the line. No sense in trying to prevent crime in a neighborhood full of people that hate you. Write a report and give them a copy. No sense losing your job over any of it. Ain't even worth getting your uniform messed up. Keep your job and let the black community deal with their innocent little teenagers.

And if they come out to MY neighborhood.....well...I'm going to save you a whole lot of trouble. You won't even have to get your uniform ruffled.

I don't know what people expect. McDuffie had probable cause to chase a suspicious person near the scene of an attempted burglary. Once the kid ran and resisted being detained, ALL BETS ARE OFF. It's just a fact that 15 year olds steal and shoot people every day. Officers cannot be held to the standard of deciding during a chase whether this is a good 15 year old that is running from him or a really BAD 15 year old. Unless McDuffie just brutally kicked the crap out of this kid, which he did not, I say give him an "A" for catching him and an "E" for effort not doing too much damage to him and put him back on the streets.

But Roundtree and a few select commissioners opened up this "my poor little innocent child who just happened to be running from a break-in" barn door and if I was a white deputy I would read the hand writing on the wall. Ride in your cars, talk on your cell phones, respond slowly and safely, write your reports....BUT....do NOT chase or forcibly apprehend 95% of the suspects. You might actually catch them and have to fight them and then your are in deep do-do with Roundtree and Williams, et. al.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/13/13 - 05:19 pm
May I suggest anonymous

May I suggest anonymous drones- they seem to be working for Obama.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 08/13/13 - 11:16 pm
Question

@Myfather15:
I get that a kid was on your lawn and did not belong there; can you explain how stating his race was germane to the story? Maybe I missed something here.

We, too, sometimes have kids to take a short cut through our yard from a nearby subdivision. It is aggravating as heck. Like you and others, my parents would not have tolerated that from us. A good tip from the officers who met with our neighborhood watch group was to take a picture and give it to officers. Often the kids are "repeat offenders" and the officers can spot them and have the photo as proof. Not one person in our neighborhood meeting brings up the race of the kids. The color most see is green, as in our green lawn getting trampled on.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 08/13/13 - 11:28 pm
Fear

People who don't think that some segments of this society fear law enforcement and do not see them as being on their side when they are in the right, are really naïve.

These kids should not have run from the officers, but I have higher expectations from a trained officer than I do a "snotty nose" 15 year old. I make no excuses for this kid, but it's funny how many blamed Trayvon Martin that he did not run home to get away from George Zimmerman. If I were 15 years old I would probably be scared and confused, too. It's not like there have not been people shot by the police for doing nothing wrong.

mrenee2003
mrenee2003 08/14/13 - 02:51 pm
MF15

I am confused as to why you called the writer an idiot. In the past, you have gotten upset at name calling and belittling. Will you please edit your first comment and remove the word "idiot?" I have not forgotten to respond to our conversation about evolution. I will, though, because I would enjoy the debate.