The GOP's suicide pact

Move to defund Obamacare could actually sway the public in its favor

Republicans are about to choose between suicide and assisted suicide.

The federal government is running out of money again, and Congress needs to pass legislation to fund the 2014 fiscal year, which starts in October. Thus, Congress and the president will soon be debating whether to raise the limit on the nation’s credit card.

Conservative Republicans see the coming debt limit and federal funding debate as an opportunity to pull the financial rug out from under Obamacare.

Led by Utah Sen. Mike Lee, they say they’re prepared to shut the government down rather than authorize any money to implement the health care reform law.

Pressure mounted this week, when over 50 conservative organizations and luminaries wrote a letter to House Republicans urging them to use the government spending bill to defund Obamacare.

“The ultimate ‘power of the purse’ still resides in the House,” the letter reads, “and the House will soon act to fund the government. In doing so, the House should include language ensuring that no more taxpayer dollars can be used to implement Obamacare.

“This funding prohibition should include all Obamacare funding streams, both discretionary and mandatory, and it should eliminate funding for Obamacare’s new entitlements.

“This will effectively halt implementation and enforcement of the law in its entirety, and will give the President and Senate Democrats a choice: Continue funding the government, or shut down the government on behalf of an unpopular law that they have admitted will not work and cannot be enforced as written.”

We appreciate the spirit of the argument. Obamacare is opposed by a majority of Americans: support for it is in the 30th percentile and opposition to it is in the 50th percentile in most polls.

And that doesn’t begin to explain the growing unpopularity of Obamacare. Perhaps this does: A week after three major labor unions warned of the destruction of the middle class by Obamacare, the National Treasury Employees Union asked its members to write their elected representatives in Congress to oppose their being included in Obamacare health-care exchanges.

The union’s membership might interest you: It includes employees at the IRS, the very agency charged with enforcing the law!

That’s when you know you’re losing the crowd.

But despite all this, we’re not sure Obamacare is sufficiently unpopular that Republicans will look like heroes to much of the public by blocking it – particularly if they have to shut down a good bit of the federal government to get that done.

The last big government shutdown, in the 1990s, was a public relations disaster for congressional Republicans. There’s no reason to think it wouldn’t be this time, either. Consider: The main result of the GOP blockade of Obamacare would be to deny many folks of its benefits, including subsidies that begin Jan. 1, to millions of voting-age Americans.

The former mainstream media would no doubt savage Republicans for doing so, and for shutting down nonessential portions of the government.

The principal effect might be to make Obamacare more popular than it deserves to be, and to ensure Democratic control of the Senate in next year’s midterm elections. It might even endanger Republicans’ hold on the House, too, according to Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., perhaps the party’s leading fiscal hawk.

“I’d be leading the charge if I thought this would work. But it will not work,” Coburn was quoted this week. “The strategy that has been laid out is a good way for Republicans to lose the House. I’m getting phone calls from Oklahoma saying, ‘Support Mike Lee,’ and I’m ramming right back: ‘Support him in destroying the Republican Party?’”

It does appear to be a suicide pact.

The best course, in our view, is for House Republicans to vote to defund Obamacare – so they can once again say “I told you so” – but not to make it their Alamo.

It may be a form of assisted suicide, but Republicans had their chance to win over voters in last year’s elections and failed. All that may remain may be for the electorate to take its bitter medicine – and for conservatives to pick up the pieces later, if there are any.

carcraft
carcraft 08/03/13 - 06:24 pm
T3, Still don't want to

T3, Still don't want to explain Conrgress and their staff getting exempted?

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/03/13 - 06:25 pm
Obamacare will leave 30

Obamacare will leave 30 million people still uninsured. So basically we've improved nothing, doubled to tripled the cost of private health insurance, caused employers to drop their employer provided insurance, caused more unemployment and full time jobs cut to part time, and severely lowered the quality and timeliness of getting care by driving experienced doctors into retirement.

Now tell me again why Obamacare is such a good idea. We've fixed nothing, we've hurt plenty, and will pay more for it. We've made health care WORSE and driven the costs HIGHER for 85% of the people. We've got almost as many left uninsured as we did before we started. We could have accomplished more by simply opening up interstate competition and mandating that insurance could not be canceled because of serious illness.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 06:25 pm
owensjef3

I need all of your help that I can get today !! I have been 1 lonely liberal here today !!

carcraft
carcraft 08/03/13 - 06:28 pm
Well if the BS called Obama

Well if the BS called Obama isn't good enough for congress it sure isn't goo enough for me! Get rid of this perverted piece of trash any way possible !!!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 06:28 pm
carcraft @ 6:24

"T3, Still don't want to explain Conrgress and their staff getting exempted?"

I have heard this from my wife today. I believe in Obamacare, BUT I agree this is not the way to get things started off, is it ??!

carcraft
carcraft 08/03/13 - 06:33 pm
Of course not, but you and I

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 06:36 pm
carcraft @ 6:33

"Of course not, but you and I being peasants or the helots don't get the privilege of exemption like the exalted rulers in DC!!!"

YOU ARE RIGHT of course, BUT being a liberal, I can not go against what I believe will be the best course of action.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 06:38 pm
owensjef3

Are you still available ?? HELP !!

carcraft
carcraft 08/03/13 - 06:44 pm
The best course of action is

The best course of action is to exempt the rulers from their folly? This SUPPOSED TO BE AMERICA where no one is above the law ,or did I miss something?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 06:48 pm
carcraft @ 6:44

"This SUPPOSED TO BE AMERICA where no one is above the law ,or did I miss something?"

YOU ARE RIGHT, but I still have faith in Obamacare.

carcraft
carcraft 08/03/13 - 06:50 pm
Look T3, waivers has been

Look T3, waivers has been granted to unions, now delays to business, exemptions to congress etc. face facts, this law is garbage!! The Republicans should fund it to the with cuts in funding for ANY waiver, exemption or delay. PERIOD

carcraft
carcraft 08/03/13 - 06:52 pm
Should read "funded to the

Should read "funded to the max"

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 07:03 pm
Got to call it a day

I am sure some of you will understand what I am about to say. I hate that I may very well have ended what COULD HAVE been a great friend-ship today !! I may very well have made someone very angry when I thought "TO BE TOTALLY HONEST" would have been THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION !! This person knows who I am talking about, and I will end by telling her, "I was truly, truly happy when I thought we were friends AND PERHAPS not all is lost if we are willing to look at things with a truly opened mind !! If this is not possible, then IS TRULY A BIG LOSS for me, and I truly mean that, ABSOLUTELY NO KIDDING !!"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/03/13 - 07:14 pm
This One Is Just Peachy.

"BUT being a liberal, I can not go against what I believe will be the best course of action."

In my 73 years, I have never known a Liberal or the Liberal Mob, Past, Present or Future to do anything that was the "best course of action!"

corgimom
corgimom 08/03/13 - 07:59 pm
Look, folks. It is not

Look, folks.

It is not realistic to expect that the United States is going to disclose all the facts about attacks such as Benghazi, in the interests of national security and to protect peoples' lives.

People want to criticize Obama for "not speaking the truth" and "covering things up". The truth on incidents like that aren't known for 50 years, until documents are declassified.

Why do people think that the nutcase blogs- on both sides- know THE TRUTH but nobody else does?

corgimom
corgimom 08/03/13 - 08:02 pm
During the Cuban missile

During the Cuban missile crisis, my father (who was commanding an MP company) was ordered to post guards around the water supply of Aberdeen and the Proving Ground.

They were instructed to tell people "it was to prevent a Halloween prank".

The goverment never tells all that it knows, it can't. National security overrides everything else.

carcraft
carcraft 08/03/13 - 08:57 pm
Corgimom, PLEASE, EVERYBODY

Corgimom, PLEASE, EVERYBODY knew this was a lie. You simply do not have RPGs, machine guns and coordinated military attacks during a demonstration! Obama was pushing his "GM's alive Al Qada is dead for his reelection. This attack didn't fit Obama's narrative so lies were told. The REAL issue is why the ambassador and embassy were not better guarded! The British had pulled out because of the instability, the US ambassador had requested more security and was denied! So explain to Mr why an obvious BS lie is OK?

chascushman
chascushman 08/03/13 - 09:04 pm
"AND PERHAPS not all is lost

"AND PERHAPS not all is lost if we are willing to look at things with a truly opened mind !!"
Bledsoe, if you believe you have a "truly opened mind" I have some ocean front property in AZ for sale.

carcraft
carcraft 08/03/13 - 09:27 pm
Was further security at the

Was further security at the American embassy denied because it would ruin Obama's narrative about Al Qada being on it's heels and embarrass Obama about his most excellent adventure in Lybia? You know, helping overthrow a government then having Al Qada make a strong presents there!

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/03/13 - 09:43 pm
Carcraft

You got it ! In addition, all decisions made before,during and after the attack were made for "political" reasons because of the election. I would most like to know who issued the "stand down" orders. America never abandons its people that are under attack. I think this stand down order came from Obama because he did not want to risk losing many special force soldiers in a fail rescue attempt so close to his reelection. Some commander and chief !

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/03/13 - 11:42 pm
Obamacare

It's like a nightmare. I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and the whole thing was just a bad dream.

chascushman
chascushman 08/04/13 - 09:03 am
Definition of a Naive

Definition of a Naive Person
A naive person is a person who is cocooned in innocence. They are the type of person that will believe almost anything you tell them

Election Updates

ATLANTA — Now that Georgia Republicans have settled on businessman David Perdue as their nominee for the state's open Senate seat, the real battle begins with a marquee match-up in the ...