The GOP's suicide pact

Move to defund Obamacare could actually sway the public in its favor

Republicans are about to choose between suicide and assisted suicide.

The federal government is running out of money again, and Congress needs to pass legislation to fund the 2014 fiscal year, which starts in October. Thus, Congress and the president will soon be debating whether to raise the limit on the nation’s credit card.

Conservative Republicans see the coming debt limit and federal funding debate as an opportunity to pull the financial rug out from under Obamacare.

Led by Utah Sen. Mike Lee, they say they’re prepared to shut the government down rather than authorize any money to implement the health care reform law.

Pressure mounted this week, when over 50 conservative organizations and luminaries wrote a letter to House Republicans urging them to use the government spending bill to defund Obamacare.

“The ultimate ‘power of the purse’ still resides in the House,” the letter reads, “and the House will soon act to fund the government. In doing so, the House should include language ensuring that no more taxpayer dollars can be used to implement Obamacare.

“This funding prohibition should include all Obamacare funding streams, both discretionary and mandatory, and it should eliminate funding for Obamacare’s new entitlements.

“This will effectively halt implementation and enforcement of the law in its entirety, and will give the President and Senate Democrats a choice: Continue funding the government, or shut down the government on behalf of an unpopular law that they have admitted will not work and cannot be enforced as written.”

And that doesn’t begin to explain the growing unpopularity of Obamacare. Perhaps this does: A week after three major labor unions warned of the destruction of the middle class by Obamacare, the National Treasury Employees Union asked its members to write their elected representatives in Congress to oppose their being included in Obamacare health-care exchanges.

The union’s membership might interest you: It includes employees at the IRS, the very agency charged with enforcing the law!

That’s when you know you’re losing the crowd.

But despite all this, we’re not sure Obamacare is sufficiently unpopular that Republicans will look like heroes to much of the public by blocking it – particularly if they have to shut down a good bit of the federal government to get that done.

The last big government shutdown, in the 1990s, was a public relations disaster for congressional Republicans. There’s no reason to think it wouldn’t be this time, either. Consider: The main result of the GOP blockade of Obamacare would be to deny many folks of its benefits, including subsidies that begin Jan. 1, to millions of voting-age Americans.

The principal effect might be to make Obamacare more popular than it deserves to be, and to ensure Democratic control of the Senate in next year’s midterm elections. It might even endanger Republicans’ hold on the House, too, according to Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., perhaps the party’s leading fiscal hawk.

“I’d be leading the charge if I thought this would work. But it will not work,” Coburn was quoted this week. “The strategy that has been laid out is a good way for Republicans to lose the House. I’m getting phone calls from Oklahoma saying, ‘Support Mike Lee,’ and I’m ramming right back: ‘Support him in destroying the Republican Party?’”

It does appear to be a suicide pact.

The best course, in our view, is for House Republicans to vote to defund Obamacare – so they can once again say “I told you so” – but not to make it their Alamo.

It may be a form of assisted suicide, but Republicans had their chance to win over voters in last year’s elections and failed. All that may remain may be for the electorate to take its bitter medicine – and for conservatives to pick up the pieces later, if there are any.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/03/13 - 08:34 am
Probably true

"It means, the software programs aren't ready." What else would you expect from an inept gov't program? Guess the rest of the implementation will go smoothly, ha. I would suspect that Obama is delaying it until after the midterms so even the dumb Americans who support it don't see the light.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 08:39 am
Dee, You mean funded by

Dee, You mean funded by stealing from Medicare funds and all the direct or hidden tax increases??? Obama feels it "fair" to tax proportionally and the redistribute so all Americans will have the same effective income. How long do you think the people getting taxed to death will continue their efforts. My wife and I are already figuring ways to reduce our income-I may retire (those two income families is what drives wealth disparity). I know y'all would hate to hear I don't go back to work and then keep posting here. The SCOTUS calls it a "tax", which obviously Obama lied about that too.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 08:45 am
The software for medical

The software for medical records wasn't ready either but that didn't stop implementation. You have to implement it to work out the kinks. Right now physicians are in limbo related to Obamacare of what to do because the govt hasn't forwarded any plan. No one seems to know what's going on. Funny Pelosi said we have to pass the law to see what's in it, and still we don't know. They must still be writing it.

deestafford
deestafford 08/03/13 - 08:46 am
Because of a conflict of visions the two sides will never get

along.

Every since the Founding we have had conflicts on what the country should be and how the government should operate. Go and read the debates of the Founders during the Constitutional Convention, and contrary to popular thought, their was a tremendous fight going on about government's role. The fighting was so strong that the Constitution almost did not come into being.

Today, we have two opposing visions: One is the people are to stupid to take care of themselves and the "elite" leaders must be the parents of the nation (democratic view). The other is individualism and free market capitalism are what the country was founded upon and the government should stay out of people's lives and decisions should be made at the lowest level closest to the people as possible and DC should do only those things enumerated in the Constitution.

For a great discussion of these two sides I recommend reading the book "Conflict of Visions" by Doctor Thomas Sowell.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 08:49 am
Quote from editorial

"We appreciate the spirit of the argument. Obamacare is opposed by a majority of Americans: support for it is in the 30th percentile and opposition to it is in the 50th percentile in most polls."

dahreese
dahreese 08/03/13 - 08:52 am
"Please, ACES, do your

"Please, ACES, do your research, you are embarrassing yourselves."

The "media" says what it's told to say by "higher ups."

Unwilling players are removed.

Recall that Donahue was removed by MSNBC for not supporting the Iraq invasion?

Gabriel Sherman's piece in New York magazine (10/3/10) on the cable news wars includes a bit of history on MSNBC's firing of progressive host Phil Donahue in 2003; an internal memo at the time worried that the show would be "a home for the liberal anti-war agenda at the same time that our competitors are waving the flag at every opportunity." Sherman focuses on MSNBC personality Chris Matthews–who sometimes claims he was opposed to the Iraq War–and his desire to get Donahue fired:

Donahue's problems only increased when Chris Matthews let it be known that he wanted Donahue off the air. Matthews was a rising force at the network, with a reported salary of $5 million. He cultivated former GE CEO Jack Welch and had the ear of NBC CEO Bob Wright. (The two summered together on Nantucket.) Matthews saw himself as MSNBC's biggest star, and he was upset that the network was pumping significant resources into Donahue's show. In the fall of 2002, U.S. News & World Report ran a gossip item that had Matthews saying over lunch in Washington that if Donahue stays on the air, he could bring down the network.

After the item was published, Matthews showed up at Donahue's office and apologized. "He didn't deny it," Donahue remembers. With the war looming, Sorenson and Griffin decided to take him off the air to make way for 24/7 war coverage.
----------------------------------------------------
www.democracynow.org/.../phil_donahue_on_his_20...

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/03/13 - 08:54 am
Obamacare is causing the

Obamacare is causing the destruction of small business right before our eyes. The unemployment report released Friday shows once again just how bad the job market is with 77% of new jobs so far this year being part time. Only 162,000 total jobs when 250,000 are needed to have real gains. The labor force participation rate has not been this low since Jimmy Carter. The unemployment rate for young black men is now 47%. And since Obama took office in January 2009, the median income has fallen 8.2 percent, from $55,198 to $ 50,578.

Obamacare will push the economy over the edge as people are forced to pay higher premiums for healthcare.

Everything is going according to plan with Obamanomics!

dahreese
dahreese 08/03/13 - 08:54 am
"Conflict of Visions" by

"Conflict of Visions" by Doctor Thomas Sowell."

Pulp.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 08:55 am
Good post Dee, but just

Good post Dee, but just because someone has a "Doctor" prefacing their name doesn't mean they are correct or intelligent. I do too but I think most would agree that doesn't make me correct or intelligent-I have to agree. Yeah I may sound like an arrogant egomaniac too at times but I have a good handle on reality. I've thought about writing a book on it modeling after Dawkin's The God Delusion. I'll call it the "Ego Delusion" -of course I'll have to write about Obama, OReilly, and me-but like the Buddha I became enlightened that I am an idiot. Thank god I couldn't handle the pressure.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 08:59 am
Obamacare

Perhaps The Obama Administration sees this health care plan as the only "POLITICALLY CORRECT" way to get people to be financially responsible for their health care.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 09:05 am
Obamacare vs. Medicaid

If only a small percentage of Medicaid resipiants have to start paying SOMETHING for their health care, will it not be worth it ??

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 08/03/13 - 09:17 am
Quote from editorial

"The former mainstream media would no doubt savage Republicans for doing so, and for shutting down nonessential portions of the government."

Maybe "the mainstream media" is more in touch with the over-whelming majority of "regular" people !

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/03/13 - 09:21 am
t3

Obamacare has nothing to do with anyones healthcare. He wants an all powerful federal government and taking over 1/6 of the economy is a giant step toward his goal. Soon the federal government will make all of the decisions in your life.......the simple life.....nothing to worry about.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 09:29 am
RMSHEFF nailed it. Why would

RMSHEFF nailed it. Why would Obama adopt a GOP healthcare modeled plan-just modified in critical points? Progressives insist on Big Govt (and because they know what's good for us) and Big Brother.

dahreese
dahreese 08/03/13 - 09:36 am
"Progressives insist on Big

"Progressives insist on Big Govt (and because they know what's good for us) and Big Brother."

Sigh....

Where DO! you get this gruel?

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 09:56 am
Dahreese probably the same

Dahreese probably the same place you get your gruel. So you haven't become "enlightened" yet on your spiritual journey? So I guess you don't believe the NSA is spying on American, the govt isn't trying to modify human behavior, etc. I guess you never read Orwell?

allhans
allhans 08/03/13 - 09:45 am
Software would be the first

Software would be the first thing readied for the program one would think. Imagine all those hundred of pages and no qualified computer program...WOW!!!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 08/03/13 - 09:49 am
"I have heard theories that

"I have heard theories that only 5 to 10 million of the 47 million people without health insurance will actualy be helped. If this is true, then isn't Obamacare worth it for the shear humanity of it ??"

Huh? You think it's ok to cripple the industry for the HUGE majority of people for such a small number of people? I guess a few more people having a substandard healthcare system is better than a large majority having a good system.....it the eyes of a socialist.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 09:59 am
tbledsoe I hope Medicaid

tbledsoe I hope Medicaid patients never have to pay-the one group that really needs our assistance. People pay into Medicare with taxes and about 48 million folks benefit every year. Medicare is a federal insurance program unlike Medicaid that is funded both by fed and states. I'm glad that they will increase spending on this program, but I am hesitant of increasing the rolls because I fear the people who really need will get screwed "again". Humble Angela the 45 million is a ruse there are only really 8-10 million that really "need" assistance. The issue will be will the ones who really need it get it.

soldout
soldout 08/03/13 - 09:59 am
we are broke

The math doesn't work and unless the takers are forced to reduce what they get we will become Greece. A ten year old could figure this out but government can not or will not. Health care is not a problem because alternative care which is more advanced (50 years ahead) will take it over and we will just need some doctors for surgery etc but can eliminate 80% of where the money is spent today. The average person has too much debt and government just reflects them. We try to have a free society that only works with moral government which only comes from a Christian base. We attack the Christian base which is the only solution. God would call us fools! (in fact in His Word He does) Fellow Christians you are the only ones with the answer so please shout it from the house tops.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/03/13 - 09:59 am
A wel Posed Question: "So

A wel Posed Question:

"So where does this leave ALL OF US in regard to the 17 trillion dollar debt?"

* Nothing says the UNITED States of America will last forever.

The FED might play the Inflation game and weaken the dollar to the point today's Billion might be next years Trillion.

Hyper inflation wipes out the debt as we repay in worthless $$$$ and after a few lean years we make a new sudden discovery and Reboot. Kind of like the mid 1970's and 21++% car loans followed by the computer generation we launched world wide.

Or Maybe the US will adopt the old UK standard for a Billion and change the value of a trillion?

Or Maybe the Revisionists
will rewrite math books along with the history books and adopt the EURO Standard making US$17T Eur$ 10.B(or something)

Also note
The American system is:
10^06 = million
10^09 = billion
10^12 = trillion
...

The European system (formerly used in Britain, still used in Germany)
is:
10^06 = million
10^09 = thousand million
10^12 = billion
10^15 = thousand billion
10^18 = trillion
10^21 = thousand trillion

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/03/13 - 10:03 am
The best thing the

The best thing the Republicans could do is FORCE FULL IMPLEMENTATION of Obamacare on 1 January 2014 as DICTATED IN THE LAW. Force it on everyone as the law prescribes, including the unions, the IRS, all businesses, all government employees, and CONGRESS and THEIR STAFF..........FULL IMPLEMENTATION.

By the time the 2014 elections are over the Republicans would control the House and the Senate. It's going to be THAT bad and Obama and the Democrats know it. That is why they are trying to delay much of it's implementation until after the 2014 elections.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 10:12 am
Wow, 7 thumbs up for my 8:36

Wow, 7 thumbs up for my 8:36 am post, and only one thumbs down. I'm surprised-which just demonstrates I'm wrong again. Dang it
But I'm happy to be wrong on this one because there is "Hope" for America.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 10:55 am
What if the article was

What if the article was titled "Congress signs suicide pact". They can just shoot each other. That's so awful. Biz is a Bad man. I can't believe I even thought of it. My Bad. Odds are though the article would have rave reviews.
With Kerry's GlobalTravel Warning because of good evidence of al Qaida's plan to attack the US and western interest is an indictment of Obama's foreign policy. I guess all that al Qaida has been decimated mantra last election was another blatant lie-that and Benghazi was a spontaneous reaction to a Youtube video.

dahreese
dahreese 08/03/13 - 10:57 am
" So I guess you don't

" So I guess you don't believe the NSA is spying on American, the govt isn't trying to modify human behavior, etc. I guess you never read Orwell?"

My friend...I was reading George Orwell when you were still a pup.

Nor did I stop with George Orwell.

You don't really think this spying on Americans is anything new, do you?

On the other hand you probably do.

“There exists a shadowy government with its own air force, its own navy, its own fundraising mechanism and the ability to pursue its own ideas of national interest free from all checks and balances, and free from the law itself.”

Senator Daniel Inouye
Iran-Contra hearings, 1974

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 11:05 am
Wow dahreese you believe you

Wow dahreese you believe you are clairvoyant and know my age and beliefs. You know that's delusional. I'm a baby boomer like you obviously. But I like being called a pup at my age. I'll take it. Did you serve in WWII, Korea, or Vietnam so I can gauge your age?

dahreese
dahreese 08/03/13 - 11:06 am
"You think it's ok to cripple

"You think it's ok to cripple the industry for the HUGE majority of people for such a small number of people?"

Do you think it's ok for the 'industry' to raise rates high enough that the poor and middle class cannot afford medical care without resorting to government assistance?

www.publicintegrity.org/health/wendell-potter‎

dahreese
dahreese 08/03/13 - 11:07 am
Is my age or your age the

Is my age or your age the point of my post?

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 11:11 am
You brought age up

You brought age up dude-calling me a pup. And No to your questions. Gosh

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/03/13 - 11:15 am
Obama Commander and Chief or

Obama Commander and Chief or Liar and Thief?
Remember he touted he directly addressed the Benghazi attack is terrorism which isn't true. He only talked about terrorism in general and never made a direct connection.

Obama's UN speech:"And that is what we saw play out in the last two weeks, where a crude and disgusting video sparked outrage throughout the Muslim world. Now, I have made it clear that the United States government had nothing to do with this video, and I believe its message must be rejected by all who respect our common humanity. It is an insult not only to Muslims, but to America as well. "
President Barack Obama has described al Qaeda as having been “decimated,” “on the path to defeat” or some other variation at least 32 times since the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, according to White House transcripts.

Kettle donations rise in 2014