For good or ill

If Obamacare is so great -- or so disastrous -- why put it off?

The Republican-controlled House Wednesday approved a one-year delay in the implementation of both the employer and individual insurance mandates under Obamacare.

The president has already agreed to delay the ominous employer mandate requiring businesses with 50-plus workers to provide workers health insurance or pay a fine. House Republicans also voted to delay the requirement on individual Americans.

But after years of fighting it and warning Americans about it in vain, you have to wonder if Republicans should instead insist that Obamacare be implemented on schedule. Why try to dismantle it when it will likely fall of its own corpulence anyway? Why put off the pain; why not take our bitter medicine now?

Although President Obama has agreed to delay the law’s mandates on businesses for a year, until 2015, its punitive effects on workers and its frightening financial effects are already being felt:

• A majority of Americans oppose the federal health care law in a recent Gallup Poll, with 42 percent saying it will make their families’ health care situation worse and only 22 percent saying better.

• Only 30 percent of businesses in a U.S. Chamber of Commerce survey say they think they’re ready for the law.

• Twenty-seven percent of businesses surveyed will cut workers’ hours to comply with the law; 24 percent will hire fewer people because of it; and 23 percent will replace full time employees with part-time workers to avoid fines under the law. That adds up to 74 percent, or nearly three-quarters of businesses, who say they will reduce jobs and hours because of Obamacare.

Most ironically, labor unions – which helped Obamacare become law – warned in a recent letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., that Obamacare will “shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class.”

“When you and the President sought our support for the Affordable Care Act,” the letter says, “you pledged that if we liked the health plans we have now, we could keep them. Sadly, that promise is under threat ... We have been strong supporters of the notion that all Americans should have access to quality, affordable health care. We have also been strong supporters of you. In campaign after campaign we have put boots on the ground, gone door-to-door to get out the vote, run phone banks and raised money to secure this vision. Now this vision has come back to haunt us. ...

“The unintended consequences of the (Affordable Care Act) are severe. Perverse incentives are causing nightmare scenarios. First, the law creates an incentive for employers to keep employees’ work hours below 30 hours a week. Numerous employers have begun to cut workers’ hours to avoid this obligation, and many of them are doing so openly. The impact is two-fold: fewer hours means less pay while also losing our current health benefits.”

It’s interesting that the unions are waking up now. But at least they’re waking up.

“It was obvious in 2009 that Obamacare’s employer mandate would incentivize this shift,” writes Forbes magazine contributor Avik Roy. “Why didn’t labor unions fight it back then?”

“The law as it stands will hurt millions of Americans,” the union letter says.

Concern over Obamacare actually is helping Mr. Obama – by giving him an excuse to put the law’s worst pain off until after the 2014 midterm elections. He’s no doubt hoping and happy to take the issue off the campaign agenda next year.

You have to wonder whether Republicans should agree. If the law is going to be a disaster, then why put it off?

We also don’t think the Obama administration has the legal authority to unilaterally delay its scheduled implementation. The law is the law, and the president is tasked with “faithfully executing” it.

Of course, this administration has shown a zeal for picking and choosing which laws it wants to enforce, including immigration laws.

Besides, if Obamacare is such a great idea, why put it off?

Comments (93)

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 05:20 pm

"I am old enough to remember

"I am old enough to remember being taught commies are bad, and take oaths to go fight the commie Koreans and Vietcong, and my Dad fought the Nazi's and commie Russians. It's hard to get over that negative stigma."
Bizkit, as I said real communism well not work. Just look at the millions of people that have been murdered in the effort to make communism work but it has never worked. I believe Bledsoe is a victim of the gov't schools that the Marxist took over in the 70s and 80s. A lot of the folks that were not very smart fell for it.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 05:24 pm

A history teacher of mine

A history teacher of mine told all of the communist haters that A TRUE communist government would be the best government."
So tbledsoe you went to school in Hawaii with Obama ??
Now that's a funny joke. And not insulting-I hope.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 05:33 pm

You don't have to convince me

You don't have to convince me of the frailties of all forms of socialism including communism. Every time I travel abroad I love returning home to the good ole USA=Home sweet home. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. I think I've covered all three. We really do enjoy great freedom here-we often take for granted. In none of my travels to socialist European countries did I find a Utopian society with no problems such I never wanted to leave. Just the opposite. America really is still the land of the free compared to most everywhere else. Free press, free speech, free religion, free sex, food, healthcare, oops that Internet Tourette's again. forget after free sex.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/13 - 05:32 pm

Chase

You are correct. I had history professors with the same mentality at Augusta College back in the late 1970. They would spend a whole week talking about the" robber barons" of the late 1800 and early 1900s. They seemed to resent the wealth capitalism generates and the relatively low pay of their profession. They leaned to the side of Marxism and this would explain Obama's world view.

Marxism/Communism is a Godless system and any student of history would have to agree it is responsible for untold human suffering where ever it has been tried.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 05:46 pm

I agree the left accuses

I agree the left accuses Christians of indoctrinating their kids into an ideology-but man that paints the kettle black. I've only met a handful of PhDs who would admit they were Christian and the majority had a progressive mentality with few liberals and very few conservatives. But I was in a science field and not business or political science or sociology so I can't speak for that. All the history folks I've met were rabid progressive but that is just my experience. Being a liberal I have to walk a fine line of the commonalities I have with progressives and social freedom and then the commonalities I have with conservatives with small transparent govt and free market-capitalism. So I think I might be a closet Libertarian. LOL. Yes I am coming out of the closet and now I want my freedom too with "Libertarian Marriage"-not quite a catchy as gay but we deserve rights too. See its evolution-the libertarians breed and spread their ideology the more liberal America will become. Gosh what a great idea. Soon we'll have a liberal population similar to our forefathers.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 05:53 pm

People always confuse

People always confuse progressivism with liberalism-they aren't the same. Fact is liberalism shares commonalities with both progressives and conservatives. It's like a duck, a goose, and coot share some commonalities but they are all still really different-I ain't saying which is which in my analogy-LOL>

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 05:55 pm

"Every time I travel abroad I

"Every time I travel abroad I love returning home to the good ole USA=Home sweet home. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly."
Bizkit, I have traveled quite a bit. Ole Bledsoe should travel to China and take a good look at communism. Many of the people there struggle just to have food to eat.
I have travel to China many times and people here have no clue. In 1997 a friend of mine who was a manager of a plant in France told me, "Charlie, you Americans do not understand". He said, "unions, gov't regulations, taxes and entitlement programs are killing my country". He said, "you Americans do not have to worry about that". I'm sure my friend has changed his mind.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 06:15 pm

Well I think may enter the

Well I think may enter the political arena-why not? I am qualified as all the other useless pieces of dung in office. I will be the "I'm Mad As Hell And I'm Not Going to Take It Anymore Party". I should easily be able to recruit the masses from all the standing political parties and win by a land slide-gosh I'll have a job for life (and my kin live to be in their 90's) with benefits too. I'll divide America up so everybody has their piece of the pie-part will be liberal , part progressive, part conservative, and maybe a slice for the communist too (maybe Cuba-Oh tooo late-just kiddin'). Now everyone will have autonomy in their section (no more states just divisions by ideology) so now we will let this little experiment run for a decade or so and see who wins with the most freedoms, best living style, best health, best wages, etc. This should be great!!!!!!!!!! Now we will still have a central govt whose job is to make sure the game stays fair and no one cheats-and we may to share some natural resources so everyone has a fair chance too. But other than that my diabolical science experiment should prove interesting. Me I don't want anything-no money, nada. I am going to make my money gambling on who wins. hee,hee,hee. See I'm not greedy or immoral. Wow, in time this could be better than reality TV or the Super Bowl-well at least Reality TV.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 06:12 pm

One of my kids went on a

One of my kids went on a mission trip to Russia a few years ago, she told me its a country of alcoholics. Drink all day long. Too much time on your hands give you too much time to get in trouble-experienced that myself. If someone gives you everything there is no incentive to work and without work we are dead-its a part of our biology hence the interest in exercise to replace what we use to get in work. Your health depends on it-mental and physical health

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 06:23 pm

" One of my kids went on a

" One of my kids went on a mission trip to Russia a few years ago, she told me its a country of alcoholics."
Bizkit, I have no patience with people that are too dumb or just too lazy to really understand what this country is all about.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 06:37 pm

Education-Work it's biblical

Education-Work it's biblical and biological. The best of both worlds. I really like physical work in my garden and mental work too solving problems and just trying to keep up with the world-you have to exercise both-use it or lose it.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 06:42 pm

A lot of people like to point

A lot of people like to point out the bad but tell me a country that doesn't have "bad". It's like me-I hope people see all my foibles and strengths, good and bad, but just prefer to remember me for the good and strengths. I do that with my friends-I love em despite their weakness and bad. Hey a little bad is good. hee,hee,hee.

carcraft
20661
carcraft 07/19/13 - 07:46 pm

T3bledsoe, I read a book

T3bledsoe, I read a book called "The Rich and the Super Rich " back in the 70's. It was the same 10% control. 90% of the wealth garbage. I have pointed out continually that those 10% keep changing! I just read about Tobie Kieth, he has accumulated over $500 million. Where was Ophra Winfree in the 70's? What about Damon Johns of FUBU? Wealth and position keeps changing. The problem with regulations, etc by the government is it favors those that are already wealthy. The founders of Home Depot say they could not do it today. Home Depot generated over 1,000 millionaires! Instead of sharing wealth America's genius has been that Americans have been allowed to generate wealth!

dahreese
dahreese 07/19/13 - 10:24 pm

" Instead of sharing wealth

" Instead of sharing wealth America's genius has been that Americans have been allowed to generate wealth!"

However...not all have been "allowed" to do so. We cannot ignore social history that has "kept them in their place" via paying low as possible wages, denying equal opportunity employment, educational opportunities, and outright corruption.

I have the same book (and two others by Lundberg; "America's Families" and "Cracks in the Constitution") and few of the wealthy have become so by honest labor and honest trading.

Nor do I understand how ("It was the same 10% control. 90% of the wealth garbage.") you can call that garbage.

KSL
KSL 07/19/13 - 11:27 pm

Why in the heck is medical

Why in the heck is medical care considered a right? It is part of what you pay for to live. Just like food, clothing, shelter, and transportation. What has h appened to America. My Mayflower ancestors and my husband's 1630's English ancestors did not risk their lives for this country to become this "give me, give me, give me" country.

KSL
KSL 07/19/13 - 11:51 pm

dar

We can not absolutely ignore social history. You cannot expect payback from generations who had nothing to do with your grievances. I am in my 60's and finally trying to get back from SS what I paid in.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/20/13 - 12:16 am

" One of my kids went on a

Well that's because they constantly had the jack-boot of a statist government on their necks. The Russians know how to make the best vodka in the world, it kind of became their hobby.

We in this country can't even imagine what it's like to have an overbearing government, constantly dictating every aspect of our lives. It's enough to drive just about anyone to drink, especially when you have such fine spirits to choose from.

Attend school in government sponsored indoctrination centers. Have your “betters” ASSIGN what you should be doing the rest of your life. Have the “Housing Placement Authority” assign your house. The government will provide health care and groceries (as they see fit). They'll tell you when and how often you should have time off. And then, AND THEN they'll start in on your children!

Why wouldn't a working man want to partake in some of the finest spirits in the world?

BUT, if people don't awake from their daze, we WILL start to imagine exactly what the Russians have gone through. The only question is how quick!!! And if we aren't careful, we'll start going through the “China” experience.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/20/13 - 12:26 am

KSL, don't know who "thumbed

KSL, don't know who "thumbed you down" but I'm willing to bet for them, the term "self reliance" is a foreign term. "No comprende"

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/20/13 - 12:38 am

Awww, 3 thumbs down for my

Awww, 3 thumbs down for my 6:15 political science joke and experiment. Wonderful! Really reflects that lack of humor, imagination, and intellect I enjoy from some posters. What a hoot. Keep em coming I'll give myself a thumbs down to because it give me that tingly feeling down my leg. But beware you could feel a warm tingly feelin' down your leg too.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/20/13 - 12:58 am

Nikita Khrushchev was correct

Nikita Khrushchev was correct that the communist could easily infiltrate and take over America without a single shot. We see the proof here daily don't we. But this is America and we accept all ideologies including those obvious posters here who are likely members of the Communist Party USA. I just love the inflammatory rhetoric. hee,hee,hee.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/20/13 - 04:05 am

Bizkit @ 6:15 - Went

Bizkit @ 6:15 -

Went straight to your reference and I can say: - You seem like an itelligent fellow, why play to the stereotypes, especially when the stereotypes are not accurate?

No doubt, many are “being played” but yet there are legitimate complaints.

When you belittle all, while showing your “above the board” mentality, you end up belittling your own arguments. I mean, come on – look at your rant! Let's take it one at a time! What exactly is your first rant? Riled up peeps? Ooooo, that's original!

Sheriff unveils downtown unit

Business owners are hopeful a plan unveiled Thursday by Richmond County Sheriff Richard Roundtree will change the perception of a dangerous downtown.