For good or ill

If Obamacare is so great -- or so disastrous -- why put it off?

The Republican-controlled House Wednesday approved a one-year delay in the implementation of both the employer and individual insurance mandates under Obamacare.

The president has already agreed to delay the ominous employer mandate requiring businesses with 50-plus workers to provide workers health insurance or pay a fine. House Republicans also voted to delay the requirement on individual Americans.

But after years of fighting it and warning Americans about it in vain, you have to wonder if Republicans should instead insist that Obamacare be implemented on schedule. Why try to dismantle it when it will likely fall of its own corpulence anyway? Why put off the pain; why not take our bitter medicine now?

Although President Obama has agreed to delay the law’s mandates on businesses for a year, until 2015, its punitive effects on workers and its frightening financial effects are already being felt:

• A majority of Americans oppose the federal health care law in a recent Gallup Poll, with 42 percent saying it will make their families’ health care situation worse and only 22 percent saying better.

• Only 30 percent of businesses in a U.S. Chamber of Commerce survey say they think they’re ready for the law.

• Twenty-seven percent of businesses surveyed will cut workers’ hours to comply with the law; 24 percent will hire fewer people because of it; and 23 percent will replace full time employees with part-time workers to avoid fines under the law. That adds up to 74 percent, or nearly three-quarters of businesses, who say they will reduce jobs and hours because of Obamacare.

Most ironically, labor unions – which helped Obamacare become law – warned in a recent letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., that Obamacare will “shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class.”

“When you and the President sought our support for the Affordable Care Act,” the letter says, “you pledged that if we liked the health plans we have now, we could keep them. Sadly, that promise is under threat ... We have been strong supporters of the notion that all Americans should have access to quality, affordable health care. We have also been strong supporters of you. In campaign after campaign we have put boots on the ground, gone door-to-door to get out the vote, run phone banks and raised money to secure this vision. Now this vision has come back to haunt us. ...

“The unintended consequences of the (Affordable Care Act) are severe. Perverse incentives are causing nightmare scenarios. First, the law creates an incentive for employers to keep employees’ work hours below 30 hours a week. Numerous employers have begun to cut workers’ hours to avoid this obligation, and many of them are doing so openly. The impact is two-fold: fewer hours means less pay while also losing our current health benefits.”

It’s interesting that the unions are waking up now. But at least they’re waking up.

“It was obvious in 2009 that Obamacare’s employer mandate would incentivize this shift,” writes Forbes magazine contributor Avik Roy. “Why didn’t labor unions fight it back then?”

“The law as it stands will hurt millions of Americans,” the union letter says.

Concern over Obamacare actually is helping Mr. Obama – by giving him an excuse to put the law’s worst pain off until after the 2014 midterm elections. He’s no doubt hoping and happy to take the issue off the campaign agenda next year.

You have to wonder whether Republicans should agree. If the law is going to be a disaster, then why put it off?

We also don’t think the Obama administration has the legal authority to unilaterally delay its scheduled implementation. The law is the law, and the president is tasked with “faithfully executing” it.

Of course, this administration has shown a zeal for picking and choosing which laws it wants to enforce, including immigration laws.

Besides, if Obamacare is such a great idea, why put it off?

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 02:00 pm
BizKit @ 1:30

"A party with no potential candidate popular enough to bring the party together-the Dem went through a similar period but man they came back strong."

YOU SAID A MOUTH FULL OF TRUTH HERE !!

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 02:03 pm
BizKit @ 1:30

"I'd love to see both parties languish into oblivion."

I guess I can agree with this, BUT what system would take its place ??

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 02:18 pm
Speaking of Obamacare

I can not believe the number of Republican conservatives that seem to be against getting millions of people OFF OF MEDICAID !!

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 02:27 pm
soldout @ 12:49

"I think the black crime is a lack of love that blacks have for each other and I was told this by black friends. Years ago I noticed how a lot of blacks have more trust in whites than fellow blacks and wondered about that then. Blacks need more of the same thing Whites need and it is called "Jesus"."

I believe there is a greater question in the Zimmerman case. Is justice and punishment in America color-blind ?? The ONLY answer to this question IS HE** NO !!

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 02:42 pm
HA @ 8:12

"Again with the wealth envy.

Yeah....I sure wish the corporate profits were incredibly low, so that my retirement account would ALSO be incredibly low. That will show them."

Yes. the 1% to 5% of the population deserve to have much more money than the other 95% !! This statement would be acceptable IF WE LIVED IN WONDER LAND !! Where is it written that wealth should not be sheared with hard working Americans ??! Why is it the hard workers and the workers that are doing the jobs that no other American wants to do are some of the poorest paid people in America ??!!

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 02:44 pm
" What if the goverment

" What if the goverment REALLY acted like communists and do what has needed to be done decades ago !! DEMAND that doctors go on a yearly salary and STOP stealing in the name of medicine !! Very good idea !"
Bledsoe, I am not surprised at all. They tried that in Russia, Cuba and North Korea, yeah that worked out really well didn't it. Capitalism and freedom of choice made this country the greatest in history now idiots want to copy systems that have been complete failures. It shows that liberals can be book smart but can't pour urine out of a bottom with the directions on the heel.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/13 - 02:53 pm
t3

Why don't you pay your yard man $50 an hour.......come on....share your wealth.....he works hard out in the heat and has a family that needs the money !

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 02:57 pm
True communisum is best government

If communisum were done CORRECTLY, this system would possibly be a better government than ours. True communisum puts the worker first. If we, in America, think that the WORKER is the back-bone of society, THEN WHY AREN'T THEY PAID WHAT THEY WOULD BE WORTH IN A TRUE COMMUNIST SOCIETY !! That is just it, there really has never been A TRUE COMMUNIST GOVERMENT !!

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 02:59 pm
Well the average debt

Well the average debt incurred by a med student is close to $140,000 with 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, then 2-4 years in residency. Then a lifetime of continuing education. All I know don't even enjoy the wealth they generate because they are mostly Type A workaholics. My GI doc hadn't taken a vacation with his wife in 20 years. I could have gone to medical school and become a physician but I said ..ll NO! They need some kind of return other than altruism. I don't know if is greed or just logic-you can be a primary care doc or pediatrician and make 80-160 K or a specialist and jump upto 500K. Let me think about-I"ll go door B.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 03:04 pm
I've read that a "true

I've read that a "true communist" country would have no govt. Sounds like paradise. LOL>

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 03:07 pm
Communisum VS. capitalisum

Our economic system resembles a pyramid. Many poorly paid WORKERS at the bottom of the pile, and the 1% to 5% at the top ! Does this system REALLY make sence ?? The economy is grown from the ground up, meaning that the WORKERS are the main driving force to a good economy !! But as long as we have a pyramid society, the WORKERS have less money to spend, therefore, a weak economy !!

If we had an inverted pyramid society, which is the way it should be, the WORKERS would HAVE MUCH MORE money to spend, therefore, a very strong economy !! Very simple economics, RIGHT ??!

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 03:12 pm
Where is that fiery little

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 03:17 pm
Bizkit @ 2:49

I have a 1st cussin that is a general prac. Even now I have no problem saying, "NO ONE twisted any doctor's arms to force them to go to medical school !!" This being said, I am in the dark as to why doctors believe that they should automatically be paid WELL OVER 100,000 dollars per year !! Again, no one twisted their arms.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/13 - 03:21 pm
T3Bledsoe's world

If you and I both worked for a lawn maintenance company that paid its employees $ 100 a day. They charged their customers $25 to cut their lawn. We were sent out to cut lawns. I worked very slow and only cut 2 lawns a day and you worked very hard and cut 5 lawns a day would it be fair for us both to be paid the same amount ?

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 03:22 pm
Bizkit @ 3:12

"Where is that fiery little red-head Humble Angela today??? I am sure she would respond. I hope her singin' gig went well last night."

DITTO. She would have a field day with the comments today. She has been known to go back a few days to "CATCH-UP" on putting her 2 cents worth into the mix. She really adds to the debate !!

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 03:33 pm
RMSHEFF @ 3:21

"I worked very slow and only cut 2 lawns a day and you worked very hard and cut 5 lawns a day would it be fair for us both to be paid the same amount ?"

That is when a supervisor would step in to evaluate your abilities.

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 03:38 pm
"That is just it, there

"That is just it, there really has never been A TRUE COMMUNIST GOVERMENT !!"
Bledsoe, that is because TRUE communist does not work. The pilgrims tried it. The 1st year everything they produced was to be put into a common warehouse, with each one getting one equal share. All the land, buildings and end product were communally owned.
Half of the Pilgrims died during the first winter. The governor, Bradford realized that collectivism, communism, had been a costly and destructive mistake. The next year people keep what they produced. The problem with communism is you always have slackers, liberals, in a group and they expect other people to carry their load.
It is very hard having a discussion with someone that has no clue of history.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/13 - 03:39 pm
Some people are more

Some people are more productive than others and should be compensated accordingly. If a man works 16 hours a day 6 days a week and becomes wealthy and another works 8 hour a day 5 days a week and just makes ends meet should the wealthy many who works 96 hours a week be required to share his earning with the man who chooses to only work 40 hours?

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 03:45 pm
"That is when a supervisor

"That is when a supervisor would step in to evaluate your abilities."
Bledsoe, once again you show you do not know what you are talking about. In a TRUE communist society there would be no supervisor. If you are going have a discussion please try have some clue of what you are talking about.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/13 - 03:48 pm
I worked for a company for

I worked for a company for 32+ years making the same hourly rate as all my co-workers. I chose to save and invest my money buying real estate and rental property. I worked each weekend maintaining my rental property. My co-workers chose to spend their money on golf outings, motor boats and nice vacations. They bought nice new vehicles each year and I drove the same vehicle for 20 years. I am now retired and am enjoying a nice retirement because of my sacrifices and investments of the past 32 years. Should I be required to subsidize their shortfall and inability to retire?

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 03:49 pm
chascushman@ 3:38

"It is very hard having a discussion with someone that has no clue of history."

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/13 - 03:52 pm
Bled....human nature...

These examples are why communism has not, does not and never will work. People will not be productive in that system knowing that whatever they produce will only go to those that will not produce. Everyone does as little as possible in a communist system.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/13 - 03:56 pm
"A history teacher of mine

"A history teacher of mine told all of the communist haters that A TRUE communist government would be the best government."

If everyone worked as hard as they could it may work but this is not human nature. There is and alway has been maker and takers and it seem there is more takers than ever.

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 03:58 pm
chascushman @ 3:45

"If you are going have a discussion please try have some clue of what you are talking about."

I am becoming convinced that HA has been cloned.

So you don't believe that an inverted pyramid society, and therefore inverted economy would work ?? PERHAPS we should at least try it !

t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 04:13 pm
One last thought for today

I strongly believe that the AMERICAN WORKER is truly the back-bone of our society and our economy ! Even if you can find real reasons not to believe in communisum, then so be it. I still believe the WORKERS in America should be treated with the respect they deserve. This is why unions were formed !! I believe the only fair thing to do IS TO GO to an inverted society and economy so that more money will be pumped into our economy !! THIS WOULD WORK !!

Got to go for today. Maybe tomorrow. Bizkit, maybe HA will join in.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 04:37 pm
African-americans since the

African-americans since the 1800's have had proclivity for socialism and some specifically communism. There is a Wikipedia article on all the African-american Presidential and VP candidates the vast majority through history have been socialist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African-American_United_States_pres...
Now consider the times and that does lot a splainin'.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 04:39 pm
If we were ants or another

If we were ants or another social insect communism would work. For us humans it's just isn't in our genes. hee,hee,hee.

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 04:54 pm
"African-americans since the

"African-americans since the 1800's have had proclivity for socialism and some specifically communism."
In the 50s an 60s the communist really went after black men. They used young dumb white girls with low morals like Obama's mother to recruit them.

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 05:00 pm
"A history teacher of mine

Bledsoe, I had a few teachers tell me stupid things but I was not dumb enough to believe them.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/13 - 05:19 pm
chascushman you are so bad! I

chascushman you are so bad! I hope you meant that as a joke in poor taste. I must be rubbin' off on you. I am old enough to remember being taught commies are bad, and take oaths to go fight the commie Koreans and Vietcong, and my Dad fought the Nazi's and commie Russians. It's hard to get over that negative stigma. But I did go to college where they tied to indoctrinated me into socialism is better-so I danced with it till I got out in the real world.