For good or ill

If Obamacare is so great -- or so disastrous -- why put it off?

The Republican-controlled House Wednesday approved a one-year delay in the implementation of both the employer and individual insurance mandates under Obamacare.

The president has already agreed to delay the ominous employer mandate requiring businesses with 50-plus workers to provide workers health insurance or pay a fine. House Republicans also voted to delay the requirement on individual Americans.

But after years of fighting it and warning Americans about it in vain, you have to wonder if Republicans should instead insist that Obamacare be implemented on schedule. Why try to dismantle it when it will likely fall of its own corpulence anyway? Why put off the pain; why not take our bitter medicine now?

Although President Obama has agreed to delay the law’s mandates on businesses for a year, until 2015, its punitive effects on workers and its frightening financial effects are already being felt:

• Only 30 percent of businesses in a U.S. Chamber of Commerce survey say they think they’re ready for the law.

• Twenty-seven percent of businesses surveyed will cut workers’ hours to comply with the law; 24 percent will hire fewer people because of it; and 23 percent will replace full time employees with part-time workers to avoid fines under the law. That adds up to 74 percent, or nearly three-quarters of businesses, who say they will reduce jobs and hours because of Obamacare.

“When you and the President sought our support for the Affordable Care Act,” the letter says, “you pledged that if we liked the health plans we have now, we could keep them. Sadly, that promise is under threat ... We have been strong supporters of the notion that all Americans should have access to quality, affordable health care. We have also been strong supporters of you. In campaign after campaign we have put boots on the ground, gone door-to-door to get out the vote, run phone banks and raised money to secure this vision. Now this vision has come back to haunt us. ...

“The unintended consequences of the (Affordable Care Act) are severe. Perverse incentives are causing nightmare scenarios. First, the law creates an incentive for employers to keep employees’ work hours below 30 hours a week. Numerous employers have begun to cut workers’ hours to avoid this obligation, and many of them are doing so openly. The impact is two-fold: fewer hours means less pay while also losing our current health benefits.”

It’s interesting that the unions are waking up now. But at least they’re waking up.

“It was obvious in 2009 that Obamacare’s employer mandate would incentivize this shift,” writes Forbes magazine contributor Avik Roy. “Why didn’t labor unions fight it back then?”

“The law as it stands will hurt millions of Americans,” the union letter says.

Concern over Obamacare actually is helping Mr. Obama – by giving him an excuse to put the law’s worst pain off until after the 2014 midterm elections. He’s no doubt hoping and happy to take the issue off the campaign agenda next year.

We also don’t think the Obama administration has the legal authority to unilaterally delay its scheduled implementation. The law is the law, and the president is tasked with “faithfully executing” it.

Besides, if Obamacare is such a great idea, why put it off?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/19/13 - 11:26 am
t3-i wish we actually did

t3-i wish we actually did agree on things..it would be wonderful to have you be right once in a while...im a gun owner--zimmerman did not use the "stand your ground" defense..he used the right to self-defense..since you dont know what zimmerman said---how do you know he said someting to provoke him??? ..its sad what is happening to young black males...but if you are going to blame zimerman or others..you will never reduce that violence perpetrated against blacks on blacks and the rare "others" against blacks...if the black community doesnt truly soul search..and resolve the problem in their own communities..we will be debating this til kingdom come...blaming others and being dependant on the govt is not going to liberate the black community from crime and proverty...i truly wish it were different...

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 11:36 am
Well tbledsoe you stated it

Well tbledsoe you stated it correctly, but your two assertions don't follow-a non sequitur. It doesn't matter who said what to provoke-just cause someone provokes me doesn't give me authority for an assault. So even if Zimmerman started it he would still have legal standing to protect his life if he felt threatened. But rather than conjecture we should go with evidence, and the evidence indicates Zimmerman got beat up-no such abrasions on Martin-just a gun wound. Martin was physically much stronger and had the advantage-he isn't a little boy. He did cause "bodily injury" to Zimmerman is an undeniable fact. Martin does have a right to protect himself but there is no evidence to indicate Zimmerman attacked Martin-just the other way around. And what fool would attack a man pointing a gun at them-a sure way to get dead fast. You are grasping at straws and strawmen trying to make an argument. Least that's what Humble may likely say. I thought I'd speak up for her since she isn't here. And you should wait till she is on the thread to directly address her because she may not even see your comment that is unrelated to this editorial.

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 11:41 am
An ethnic minority group such

An ethnic minority group such as blacks seems would be sensitive and sympathetic to another minority ethnic group such as Hispanics, but I gather the majority of blacks also hate homosexuality too and don't support gay marriage-from polls. Discrimination will never die will it.

dahreese
dahreese 07/19/13 - 12:10 pm
"This process of loosing

"This process of loosing choices in our lives happens so slowly that many don't even realize it. In a generation or two Americans will be in a prison and not even realize it. The revolution in America is happening slowly over time but will arrive at the same location in the end."

What's happening is not a revolution, but a quite coup - by the wealthy and the powerful.

For example, but not limited to, the secret behaviors of the NSA (in the name of "national security") watching and recording everything Americans are doing (deny it all the NSA wants) including watching your car tag everywhere you go....

Nor has it been conservatives who have howled about this over the years (although recently conservatives have jumped on Obama about letting this continue (and rightly so)), but liberals have been the ones who exposed it only to be rebuffed by conservatives who are willing to give up their essential liberties for a little temporary safety.

But as Ben Franklin said, "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 12:27 pm
True dahreese but the

True dahreese but the aristocratic class has always ruled in America-been so since the beginning. Mainly because of the fears or an un- or under-educated population doing something stupid-which seems their fears were warranted. hee,hee,hee. I really agree with your Franklin quote. The aristocrats always rule and I got tired of it and decided if you can't beat em join em. LOL>

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 12:36 pm
From polls seem all the

From polls seem all the population is ticked off with the spying regardless of either Dems or Reps in Congress supporting. Congressional oversight is an oxymoron.

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 12:47 pm
I know there has been a long

I know there has been a long history of communist running for president and vice president, but I remember when certain jobs would ask about any affiliation with the communist party. I guess those days are gone. The Communist Party USA fully supports the Dem party and Obama lamenting they share the same goals and ideology. Some say the Dem party is the New Communist Party USA-but I personally don't buy that but the similarities are disconcerting. Nothing against that-it is a free country but gosh that would have been the death knell to the Dem party 20-30 years ago. In my best Dylan nasal voice "the times they are a changin'".

soldout
soldout 07/19/13 - 12:49 pm
lack of love

I think the black crime is a lack of love that blacks have for each other and I was told this by black friends. Years ago I noticed how a lot of blacks have more trust in whites than fellow blacks and wondered about that then. Blacks need more of the same thing Whites need and it is called "Jesus".

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 01:00 pm
My main criticism is any

My main criticism is any party that would vote on a bill that they haven't read or completed doesn't deserve to be in office. I mean that is beyond ignorant and really, really stupid. A population that would support such a mentality is beyond stupid. The bureaucrats that write these laws could have enacted a coup and took over the govt leaving Dems and Reps holding their---- Well good manner prevent me from saying it.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 01:05 pm
BizKit @ 11:36

"Least that's what Humble may likely say. I thought I'd speak up for her since she isn't here. And you should wait till she is on the thread to directly address her because she may not even see your comment that is unrelated to this editorial."

OMG !! I can not BELIEVE that you are going to take-up for HA !! I believe if it were physically possible, she could probably take down a tornadoe !! AND I still believe that 1c, from her very own provided link, proves that Martin had a right to "stand his ground" !!

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 01:08 pm
I came from a wealthy

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 01:14 pm
Well I usually take up for

Well I usually take up for the underdog. But you're right HA can handle her own and I shouldn't be putting words in her mouth. My apologies tbledsoe. As you may have noted, I've been real talkative today. I am just trying to dominate these posts, wear down the opponents and win by attrition. hee,hee,hee. Naw I ain't trying to win an argument just post some opinion. And by the way I realize I am usually wrong. Dagnabit!!!!!!!Freckleputzkleibnig!!!!and Ding, Dang, Dong.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 01:13 pm
Quote from editorial

"• A majority of Americans oppose the federal health care law in a recent Gallup Poll, with 42 percent saying it will make their families’ health care situation worse and only 22 percent saying better."

If this is a fact, then it is because THE RIGHT WING MEDIA has brain-washed them !!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 01:18 pm
Quote from editorial

"Most ironically, labor unions – which helped Obamacare become law – warned in a recent letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., that Obamacare will “shatter not only our hard-earned health benefits, but destroy the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class.”"

Again, the right wing media has brian-washed these union workers. The right wing media continues to twist and turn THE TRUTH about Obamacare !!

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 01:20 pm
I think people don't support

I think people don't support the bill because it was too much like the Bush Rep Congress ramming everything thru and it brought up back bad memories. LOL. I think if it had bipartisan support and was a bipartisan bill then people would have been led to support it. Personally I don't think either party is capable of dealing with the issue both for different reasons. I think of Medicare a single payer system that has failed and I look at what we have left with one eye.

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 01:26 pm
The right wing media as in

The right wing media as in Fox news against progressive MSNBC and CNN-and liberal NPR. I didn't realize that one station had such power over people. If it has to be a station I pray it will be NPR-slight left but I'm OK with that. I watch Fox too but I have to admit I can't stand O'Reilly or Hannity. Remind me too much of Obama with their arrogant platitudes. I've always had this thing with egocentric egomaniacal people-I think it reminds of my father too much.

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 01:24 pm
"We do not know what

"We do not know what Zimmerman said to Martin to probably provoce him."
Bledsoe, it DOES NOT matter what/if Zimmerman said to Martin. You cannot hit a person in the face and bang their head on cement.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 01:26 pm
Quote from editorial

"You have to wonder whether Republicans should agree. If the law is going to be a disaster, then why put it off?"

"Besides, if Obamacare is such a great idea, why put it off?"

WAY TO GO ACES !! That is the way to be on the correct side of the arguement !! Perhaps these correct statements from the editorial will help tens of millions get on reasonable-cost health insurance.

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 01:28 pm
"Or maybe we are since I am

"Or maybe we are since I am correct about this one !"
"The reason that I am correct is two fold:"
de•lu•sion (d -l zh n)n.
a. The act or process of deluding.
b. The state of being deluded.
2. A false belief or opinion: labored under the delusion that success was at hand.
3. Psychiatry A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness: delusions of persecution.

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 01:30 pm
The Rep did a political

The Rep did a political plunder by supporting the extension.
They are just getting terrible at this game. They should have insisted on it's application because it would really help them next election cycle and they really, really, really need some help. A party with no potential candidate popular enough to bring the party together-the Dem went through a similar period but man they came back strong. I'd love to see both parties languish into oblivion.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 01:33 pm
Quote from editorial

"Of course, this administration has shown a zeal for picking and choosing which laws it wants to enforce, including immigration laws."

Speaking of the immigration bill, isn't it the Republicans that are holding up the process ??! If I am not mistaken, former Pres. George W. Bush is for a quick bill to become law !! I believe he even mentioned something about humanity being involved in this process !!

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/13 - 01:33 pm
t3

Write these predictions down and if in 5 years all are not true I will admit you were right.

1) Health insurance will be more expensive than it is now. (even though we were promised otherwise)

2) Some people will be denied care because of cost benefit and age formula. ( death panels)

3) We will not be able to keep "our" insurance and doctor if we want to.

4) Wait times to see doctor will greatly increase. Along with a doctor shortages.

5) Many millions of Americans will remain uninsured.

6) Overall quality and quantity of healthcare will drop along with the satisfaction of the patients.

chascushman
chascushman 07/19/13 - 01:33 pm
"I watch Fox too but I have

"I watch Fox too but I have to admit I can't stand O'Reilly or Hannity. Remind me too much of Obama with their arrogant platitudes."
Bizkit, I agree but I'm not sure they are as arrogant as the commie in the WH.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 01:40 pm
BizKit @ 1:08

"I came from a wealthy family-well till they booted me out for awhile. But I remember I had a black nanny that raised me-she was very religious (always quoting the bible) and I thought she was an idiot for believing in such nonsense. But I guess she planted a seed that finally sprouted in my 40s. She loved me very much and I her. She taught me to ride a bike, would read with me, you name it. She was a wonderful caring human being. I've been color blind ever since. I don't believe there is a lack of love there. I think she loved me more than my own father-least she acted like it. But that was long ago and the world seems to be running out of love-I always thought it was a renewable resource but apparently I am wrong."

VERY PROFOUND ! I tryed to shorten the amount of text that I pasted, BUT the whole comment was too important !! Way to go, BizKit !!

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 01:42 pm
Yeah if Obama were more like

Yeah if Obama were more like Nelson Mandela I'd probably give him a better ear. My eldest brother is an arrogant know-it all too and he quickly tries to dominate a room. I think that is a pathological sickness-that need to always feel you are right and brightest apple in the room. It can be a handicap when you really are right and have something important to say.

dahreese
dahreese 07/19/13 - 01:40 pm
" I think of Medicare a

" I think of Medicare a single payer system that has failed and I look at what we have left with one eye."

We'll have to disagree on the failure of Medicare.

First, because it only has an overhead of about 3%.

Secondly, although they may not get all they want in payments, doctors are still making a living as the government IS going to pay.

Nor are private health insurance agencies going to pay more to attract doctors to bill them.

Also, private insurance agencies are still making a profit - just not as much as they'd want if they could do away with medicare.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 01:47 pm
BizKit @ 1:26

"I watch Fox too but I have to admit I can't stand O'Reilly or Hannity. Remind me too much of Obama with their arrogant platitudes. I've always had this thing with egocentric egomaniacal people-I think it reminds of my father too much."

What about Rush Limbau ??

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 01:53 pm
Well Medicare has a problem

Well Medicare has a problem with out of control health care costs, the long term outlook isn't good, and fraud is an issue that needs reform. Physicians costs are skyrocketing and I don't believe what Medicare pays really offsets their costs. I see it as a pilot study of a single payer system with just part of the population and I really wonder how our govt could deal with everyone. I have concerns given the long history of legislation with just medicare alone. But I agree with part of your comments too.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 07/19/13 - 01:54 pm
Commie in The White House

What if the goverment REALLY acted like communists and do what has needed to be done decades ago !! DEMAND that doctors go on a yearly salary and STOP stealing in the name of medicine !! Very good idea !

Bizkit 07/19/13 - 01:57 pm
Rush who???? Nah I know him

Rush who???? Nah I know him but I don't waste my time listening to him. Too conservative. Arrogant too. Maybe you have to be to act such the fool without reservation. Thanks for the compliment tbledsoe related to my upbringing-I meant every word.

SC Speaker Harrell quits, pleas guilty

COLUMBIA - Suspended South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell has pleaded guilty to six campaign fiance violations and agreed to resign from office.