The opposite of what we need

Barrow's grandstanding must not shield us from painful truth

They’ll probably like this editorial even less.

“Guaranteed to make you feel better ... about me!” the cartoon has Barrow saying, holding a bottle of “John Barrow’s Re-election Furlough Exemption Placebo Pills.”

Barrow, a Democrat representing the Augusta area, has filed a bill that would exempt civilian workers from the 11 furlough days the Pentagon instituted to save money under the “sequestration” budget cuts that went into effect earlier this year. The furloughs went into effect last week.

We not only stand by Rick McKee’s cartoon, but we’ll go one better.

We’ve never known a politician who was more focused on positioning himself politically – also known as pandering – or one who was better at it. Mr. Barrow has to recognize his bill has no chance. Sequestration cuts have been well underway for months, most famously at the White House itself.

Moreover, he is a minority member of the House, where he ranks 175th in seniority, according to Roll Call. He simply doesn’t have the clout to swim upstream.

But doggone it, he’ll look good doing it for the cameras! His ploy may curry favor with government employees and with unsuspecting others, but it’s little more than grandstanding.

Yet, we’ll go further than call him out on his pandering. It’s also contrary to the public good.

This country’s No. 1 problem, and the biggest existential threat to our nation, is the national debt and the runaway payroll train that is federal spending. It begets a creeping dependency and complacency that erodes industriousness and self-reliance. It makes people believe there’s something for nothing. And it risks collapsing the currency and the economy someday.

It is inarguable that such deficit spending cannot go on forever. Our federal government borrows 40 cents of every dollar. What happens when the gravy train derails?

We are not unsympathetic to the plight of government workers. Private-sector employees have been laid off and furloughed, and have suffered pay reductions without commensurate time off. We feel your pain.

But that pain is nothing compared to what we’ll all feel when the day of reckoning arrives – when the laws of economics land on us with a thud as surely as the law of gravity would.

Furlough days are only the start of what needs to happen. Entire agencies and departments of this government should be shorn. This leviathan has grown miles beyond what the Constitution envisioned – especially when the 10th Amendment specifically ordered when it said “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

Is there anyone who can argue that amendment is being followed?

So, for a congressman to send out vibes that we can avoid the pain of government downsizing? That’s just harmful to the body politic. It’s reprehensible, and just the opposite of what we need right now, which is leaders who will tell us the painful truth.

We shouldn’t care what congressmen look like. What matters is what the country’s future looks like.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/18/13 - 04:23 am
Time For Kitchen Rally Again?

Don’t worry, Mr. and Mrs. Bob Young will hold a massive rally to support Barrow….in their kitchen again.

carcraft
carcraft 07/18/13 - 05:50 am
Another John Barrow ad?

It has now become apparent that The democrats of the progressive tax and spend Marxist portion of America whole purpose in the Martin shooting is part of gun control and elimination of self defense laws such as stand your ground. Barrows next ad will have him at his front door holding his guns talking about killing the next person that tries to rob him and insuring congress doesn't tamper with his right to do it! We now find out that the IRS targeting of conservative groups was orchestrated by a high level Obama appointee in the IRS legal office...What is Barrows response to that?

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 07/18/13 - 06:38 am
So the Chronicle's

So the Chronicle's owners/editorial board continues nit picking in a childish feud with Congressman Barrow. First with a cartoon and now an editorial wasting limited space on the editorial page ignoring the elephant in the room. The giant GOP sized elephant who serves as the state's Governor, Nathan Deal. We're all aware that the Chronicle endorsed Deal, of course without a scant mention a his much ethically challenged history in the glowing endorsement prior to election day, but does the no news of Barrow take precedent of the real news of the state? Granted, the Chronicle doesn't have the best search engine in the world, but the only 2 reference I can find relating to Copart is as a NASCAR sponsor and the Copart 200 in a Camping World Trucks Series race. Why no mention in any stories or editorials of Copart owing the state of Georgia $74 million in back taxes? That's no small chunk of change. You'd think the normally so fiscally tight Chronicle would be all over it. Also why no mention that our illustrious Governor and his business partner sold their salvage yard to Copart? The same salvage yard that Deal owned that had a no bid contract with the state. About the time Deal quit Congress to dodge an ethics investigation yet still was endorsed by the Chronicle and elected by the Republican voters of Georgia. The same Copart that's paying Deal about $10,000 a month rent for leasing the land on top of what he made for selling the business. Worrying about Congressman Barrow is so much more important. When you know the governor is a crook, and have known he's a crook for years, and you endorsed him anyway, more stories about his shenanigans just aren't newsworthy.

willie7
willie7 07/18/13 - 07:24 am

Thank you Bodhisattva for this information about our governor, Crooked Deal.
The governor will use his influence to get the 74 million dollars sales tax written off or reduced for Copart.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/18/13 - 07:43 am
Kitchen

I don't think you'll see Bob and Gwen Young backing Barrow in 2014. Their endorsement of Barrow in 2012 was a rational comparison of the capabilities of the two candidates — John Barrow vs. Lee Anderson. I myself voted for Barrow, not because I like Barrow's politics, but because Anderson has no business being a U.S. Representative. The Republicans will run someone more capable in 2014.

Hopefully it will be Rick Allen.

deestafford
deestafford 07/18/13 - 08:19 am
Barrow: The Chuck Shummer of the South.

By some playing games in order to vote for a local democratic candidate in the last election we ended up with a Republican candidate who presented the worst public image of any I have seen since I started voting in 1962. The man may have been the nicest in the world but he was the most inarticulate candidate I've ever seen put forth. Hopefully, we will elect a Republican Conservative in 2014.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/18/13 - 08:20 am
kettle/black

Gosh Bod, if we are going to expand the topic from local to state, why not go all the way to the National level? You supported Obama. Look at that scandal ridden mess.

deestafford
deestafford 07/18/13 - 08:26 am
I'm so glad the editors publish Bod's comments.

They break up the monotony of serious, well thought out, I-love-America-and-dislike-the-statists comments of most of the other commenters.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 08:59 am
Oh come on I just read an

Oh come on I just read an article how "politics" has changed from persons running on a platform or ideas to just "party personalities" and most of their actions is about getting re-elected. Now this is both parties too. Now tell me it isn't pandering when the Dem party goes after assault rifles and then we see an ad with Barrow holding his daddy's gun sayin' they only take this gun from my "cold dead hands". I mean when I saw it I was ROFLMAO> So Bod I gather you believe the AC is racist and has it in for Paine College too because the school has received so much press for breaking federal laws. Yeah I can tell the paper supports Deal because of all the positive press he received about GRU and Augusta State, and I gather you believe there are no Dem "crooks" in office too. I surmise you only have one eye, because you have lost depth perception.

David Parker
David Parker 07/18/13 - 08:50 am
pointless rhetoric

As was stated, Barrow was the better candidate and clearly more prepared to win the election and perform the job. He looked too similar to Steven King for me not to vote for him. And simply put, I don't want nobody takin my guns.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 09:01 am
Barrow would surely vote the

Barrow would surely vote the party line and support gun controls-least he will never rise in seniority.

ymnbde
ymnbde 07/18/13 - 09:01 am
a good representative would have seen that coming...

the harm from having such a large debt doesn't come all at once

but on little cat feet
it sits expanding
over base and schools
bringing furloughs and sequestration
and then gets worse

apologies to Mr Sandburg

maryhamm
maryhamm 07/18/13 - 09:05 am
Shaking my Head, as usual

I usually read the editorial, shake my head and move on. However, after this one, I feel the need to comment. I am a relative newcomer to the CSRA but was here during the last election. I don't even remember the name of the opponent Mr. Barrow faced, but lord knows, I remember seeing him on tv. The choice between a UGA and Harvard educated lawyer as a opposed to a country bumpkin was no choice at all. If Mr. Barrow could get elected in a predominantly Republican district, more power to him and the people who had the sense to vote for him. Keep running candidates like the last one and Mr. Barrow will spend the rest of his life in Congress.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/18/13 - 09:10 am
barrow is

just another scumbag democrat. Would anyone with a brain expect any less of him? I'm certain he has movers lined up for his next run at office.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/18/13 - 09:22 am
I have been watching U.S.

I have been watching U.S. Rep. John Barrow’s career in politics for a while now. He is like Bill Clinton in many ways, in that he is able to convince whatever group he happens to be speaking before that he thinks just like they do. He supports their goals and will work on their behalf. Sadly, politics has become all about getting reelected. He has no real core values and if he does they are not conservative values.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 09:31 am
I agree with Anderson wasn't

I agree with Anderson wasn't much of a candidate but I would argue Barrow wasn't either. If Barrow was like Bill Clinton I would have voted for him. I didn't vote for either Anderson or Barrow. I've voted for Dems and Reps but no more-decades of a voting record have proven to me with impunity to trust neither party.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 09:59 am
We need a new party. Yep the

We need a new party. Yep the Buddha Party where we always find the middle path. Perhaps it could bring the conservative and progressive together and we could seduce all the Libertarians to this party without a Rand. The opposite of what we need??? We'll that's Bizarro World and time to support Bizarro. Too bad he wasn't in the latest Superman movie that'd been kool.

deestafford
deestafford 07/18/13 - 10:22 am
Biz, I think it would be difficult to bring the Conservatives

and the progressives/statists together because they have completely different visions of what America should be. That's one of the reasons there is not more compromising going on in DC because in order to compromise you need to have the same end goal in common. There is a tremendous gulf between the individualism of the Conservatives and the nanny state of the people are stupid collectivist of the left.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 10:31 am
I agree there is a stalemate.

I agree there is a stalemate. But both are political "ho's" so if another party were gaining in popularity like the Buddha they would leave their core values to chase votes. Ahhhhh see the strategy. hee,hee.hee. Take advantage of their insatiable desire to say or do anything to get re-elected. Look at Barrow with his daddy's gun. See it works-then when in office they do as they please. Let's examine the problem-we divide Americans by "race" and we stay divided, we divide politics by party and stay divided-there seems to be theme at work here. A house divided can't stand comes to mind.

avidreader
avidreader 07/18/13 - 10:39 am
What about teachers?

Mr. Barrow must not think much of teachers as his grandstanding focused on federal employees. Teachers in Richmond County have been living with furloughs for five years. I don't like it, but as a tax payer, I understand it. Georgia is limited by its constitution as to spending. If the money's not there, it cannot be spent. However, it bothers me that teachers do not rate at least a nod from Mr. Barrow.

As LittleLamb states, I am also rooting for Rick Allen to jump into the ring. I would even settle for Deke if Allen chooses to pass.

dahreese
dahreese 07/18/13 - 11:45 am
@ymnbde; Most of these folks

@ymnbde; Most of these folks don't know what you're talking about.

That said, the AC is a Republican paper with Republican ownership with connections in high places, and it cannot be counted on to hold a neutral viewpoint as exampled daily by its conservative and slanted editorials (although its local coverage is as good as any other paper).

The AC does not tell you that John Barrow is a "Blue Dog" Democrat and often works across the isle with Republicans who hold moderate views and who do not always tow the official Republican line.

If his voting record should be accurately reported via the AC, it will be found that he often votes with Republicans. And the only thing Republicans can really hold against him is that he runs for office under the Democrat ticket.

To swallow this editorial, as is being done above by the usually gullible, the reader is supposed to think that everything wrong in Federal government, especially furloughs, is the fault of John Barrow.

To close, this is an interesting statement; "U.S. Rep. John Barrow’s office didn’t like our editorial cartoon Sunday, which depicted his recent “furlough exemption” bill as largely an attempt to just make him look good.", and would the AC tell us whether or not the AC personally heard first hand from John Barrow's office that he didn't like it?

For the sake of the Democrat party, Barrow votes too much like a Republican - and I hope his office is watching/reading this - and he's been told as much.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/18/13 - 01:17 pm
"Gosh Bod, if we are going to

"Gosh Bod, if we are going to expand the topic'

Bod has never written a comment that applied to the original topic. Even in his former incarnation. We should rename him Diversion.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/18/13 - 03:26 pm
Good idea, Or

Good idea, Or diverticulum-sounds more Techy. LOL. Or because it refers to the colon and both Bod and colon take the soup (chyme) and make poop. ahh, ahh, ahh. Just kiddin' Bod. I like Bod gives another voice here. It'd be boring without em.

Clemsondoc
Clemsondoc 07/18/13 - 10:46 pm
Amen

I'm glad there's one paper not printing per liberal BS. Growing up in the Charlotte area w a horrible newspaper called the Observer I'm glad to see members of the media fighting the liberal media brainwash. I think I will buy a print subscription of the chronicle.

dahreese
dahreese 07/18/13 - 11:14 pm
Clemsondoc 07/18/13 - 10:46

Clemsondoc 07/18/13 - 10:46 pm

You deserve it.

glfr8
glfr8 07/18/13 - 11:21 pm
Dahreese

Well let me see… Not only does he have a "D" by his name on the ballot, he voted for Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the house, he voted against the repeal of obamacare multiple times, he backed the Obama stimulus plan, he brags about voting with Obama 85% of the time, and he voted to increase the debt ceiling five times. I could go on, but I think I have made my point that my and other republican's problem(s) with John Barrow is much more than the mere fact that he is a democrat. Also, I don't know if you read it, but this is the opinion page of the Chronicle…

I believe Rick Allen is our best shot at taking on Barrow. I don't know why Stone is even bothering. Raising $18,000 in six months just wont cut it, John. If we don't elect Rick, it looks like we will have a repeat of 2008.