Riveting? No

But is it time to seek common ground on abortion? Yes

Of all the issues you could inject overheated rhetoric into, you wouldn’t think abortion would be one of them. The issue has been a boiling pot of hyperbole for decades. How much more overstatement is possible?

But lo and behold, about the Texas abortion law battle the Los Angeles Times wrote that a recent legislative vote there “riveted the nation.” Politico.com added that it “captivated the nation.”

Really? You mean families gathered around the morning paper to see what happened in Austin on the abortion issue?

Good grief. This isn’t hyperbole now, it’s hysteria.

Besides, this country has seen the Internal Revenue Service used as a jackhammer against conservative groups and has learned in recent months that everyone is being spied on – and life has gone on as before. And we’re supposed to believe a legislative vote in Texas “riveted the nation”?

What it did was provide the national media with another opportunity to take its liberal bias out for a spin. They’re characterizing the Texas bill as some kind of draconian assault – and they’ve jumped at the chance to make the bill’s most prominent opponent, Democrat state Sen. Wendy Davis of Fort Worth, a superstar for her recent filibuster against the bill.

As for the liberal spin, it’s positively dizzying: Political commentator Bill Maher derisively called Republican U.S. Sen. Rand Paul’s filibuster over the use of drones against Americans a “quiet coup” – but called Davis’ filibuster “heroic.”

And now the media are cheerleading speculation that Davis can parlay her battle for abortion into a gubernatorial bid in the Lone Star state.

Of all the issues to base a political career on, preserving the ability to exterminate babies in the womb at any time for any reason is a dubious one.

It’s interesting that many of the same political stripe that would love to dump the Second Amendment right to bear arms – which actually is in the Constitution – nonetheless bitterly fight any restrictions on abortion – which is not in the Constitution.

Having said that, isn’t it time both sides started working together to reduce the number of abortions, particularly late-term? Rather than everyone running to the Alamo to make a stand, can’t we find some common ground?

We find it difficult to believe Ms. Davis or her supporters
actually would celebrate the death of an unborn baby. Or that they favor killing a 21-week-old fetus out of sheer convenience.

For that matter, it’s beyond us how pro-choice advocates can’t bring themselves to the only logical conclusion about what that fetus is. Does it ever turn out to be anything but a human being?

This page is unabashedly pro-life. We believe that human life is a gift from God, and therefore is sacred. But surely there are some things that fair-minded liberals could agree with us on. We would suggest that the horrors of late-term abortion and partial-birth abortion are a couple of them. And that babies born during botched abortions should be protected from being murdered – as they were so coldly and gruesomely killed at the late-term abortionist Kermit Gosnell’s Philadelphia clinic.

We hardly think the Texas debate has riveted a distracted and complacent nation. But it has made for great political theater. All the while, innocent lives are being snuffed out.

No one should be in favor of that.

Comments (27)

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 07/12/13 - 05:06 am

Never expect the truth from the Chronicle

"In truth, the bill – which passed the Texas House on Wednesday and could be up for a vote in the state’s Senate as early as today – would merely set a limit of 20 weeks on abortion."

Is it so hard to tell the truth? Do you rely on your reader to be like Foxbots and not use any other source for information? Do you consider deliberately lying to your readers responsible journalism? Are the owners and the editors so partisan that lying is encouraged to sway opinions? Does anyone there have any ethics?

The real truth: The above 20 week restriction. This is because that is when they say a fetus can feel pain. The vast majority of peer reviewed studies say 24 weeks, which is the usual accepted cut off, but that's not the real reason anyway. It's a shotgun approach to chip away at a woman right to choose.
Doctor must have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of the clinic.
If a woman wishes to use a pill for abortion she has to take it in the presence of a doctor at a certified abortion facility.
And lastly, the one that they intentionally placed in the bill to forced all but a few clinic in a giants state the size of Texas to close: all abortions must take place in an ambulatory surgical center.

They have required millions of dollars of medical equipment for a clinic to exist. They know that will shut them down. I hope they sue and require that any place that performs a medical procedure will have to meet the same qualifications. You never know what could go wrong with the slightest procedure.

carcraft
20671
carcraft 07/12/13 - 05:57 am

Bodhisvattva, Women have died

Bodhisvattva, Women have died because appropriate medical care was too far away. "If we save ONE life" used to be the mantra of the left. The image of Gosnell chasing a baby around a toilet to clip it's spinal cord is OK with you? The knowledge about when children feel pain keeps advancing. We used to not give anesthesia to new born babies during surgery because "science said" they could not feel pain. IF you are going to provide certain procedures in clinics it needs to be prepared for the worst. Where I work we stock thousands of dollars of drugs for treat malignant hyperthermia. In the 13 years I have been there I think we have had one case. This is good medical practice, it is like air bags in cars, hope they are never needed but then they are you are glad they are there during a wreck. There have been multiple deaths at abortion centers, they just don't get the coverage because the lame stream media protects abortion almost as well as they protect Obama! http://www.lifedynamics.com/Pro-life_Group/Pro-choice_Women/

ymnbde
ymnbde 07/12/13 - 06:18 am

no person can judge abortion

they must recuse themself
every living person has a conflict of interest
as their presence is evidence of already surviving the "choice" stage of life
if a judge has a prior relationship with the parties involved, they must recuse themselves
and every judge, every person, has a prior relationship with abortion, with being someone's "choice"
and so can't be impartial in matters involving the "choosers"
and so can't judge the millions of dying babies, crying out from the womb...

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/12/13 - 06:39 am

Kermit Gosnell

Kermit Gosnell is the new "Willie Horton." Can anyone find one living human that supported this guy's monstrous behavior? I don't think so.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 07/12/13 - 06:43 am

Riveting

Who pays for medical tests in states that now mandate them prior to abortions? Just asking, because conservatives are not in favor of government coming between patients and doctors.

Unless they are the ones getting in between the two.

allhans
21955
allhans 07/12/13 - 07:11 am

I actually never knew that it

I actually never knew that it was legal to abort a 5 month fetus/child, and now I find that it is allowed for a period longer than 5 mos. I knew abortion had been legalized but had no idea that it could be done to a living, breathing baby. I rather thought more like no more than 3 months....where have I been....hiding my head I guess....

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/12/13 - 09:45 am

they favor killing a 21-week-old fetus for convenience. YES

they favor killing a 21-week-old fetus for convenience. YES

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/12/13 - 09:45 am

they favor killing a 21-week-old fetus for convenience. YES

they favor killing a 21-week-old fetus for convenience. YES

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/12/13 - 09:46 am

they favor killing a 21-week-old fetus for convenience. YES

they favor killing a 21-week-old fetus for convenience. YES

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/12/13 - 09:47 am

Where is the outcry from local churches? Other than Catholics.

Where is the outcry from local churches? Other than Catholics.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/12/13 - 09:47 am

The Abomination of Desolation is already on the church altar.

The Abomination of Desolation is already on the church altar.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/12/13 - 09:48 am

The "visible" Christian Church has embraced all 7 deadly sins.

The "visible" Christian Church has embraced all 7 deadly sins.

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/12/13 - 09:51 am

Greed, Gluttony, Sloth, Lust, Pride, Envy, Wrath. Embraced!!

Greed, Gluttony, Sloth, Lust, Pride, Envy, Wrath. Embraced!!

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/12/13 - 09:51 am

Greed, Gluttony, Sloth. When have you heard those sermons?

Greed, Gluttony, Sloth. When have you heard those sermons?

soapy_725
soapy_725 07/12/13 - 09:52 am

Greed, Gluttony, Sloth. Normally occur during or after service

Greed, Gluttony, Sloth. Normally occur during or after service

Bizkit
21949
Bizkit 07/12/13 - 09:57 am

Well I support abortion being

Well I support abortion being legal for physicians but I would hope (with all the success in pregnancy prevention if you have a brain to use it properly) abortion would be available but little availed-the SCOTUS ruled on the right to privacy not a license to kill. It has become too easy to just forget about prevention and deal with the aftermath. This is America's problem with health care-rather than preventive just deal with the after math. If Obama's mother had an unwed pregnancy with him during the 70s rather than 60s the odds are Obama would have never been born. See how abortion can influence history. The high abortion rate, and so many youths who later have problems when ready to have a family, make America seem as a brutal draconian ignorant country compared to Sweden, Germany, or Japan or India. All the political rhetoric about American ideals seems lame when we kill millions of unborn, and then use drones to kill targets and their children,

Bizkit
21949
Bizkit 07/12/13 - 10:14 am

I guess many feel that the

I guess many feel that the "choice" to take a life-unborn one-is a personal decision that we shouldn't judge. Man I bet Zimmerman wish people were as sympathetic to his "choice" to protect his life and take another. So I guess people shouldn't judge this either. Now there are circumstances that placed either in their situation but the bottom line is the final choice.

myfather15
myfather15 07/12/13 - 11:25 am

It simply amazes me that

It simply amazes me that liberal's can see living examples of people surviving abortion attempts, some even going on to become prominent citizens; still they think abortion is a choice that should be legal!!

For those people, please take the time to actually READ these stories, then tell me abortion is humane!!

myfather15
myfather15 07/12/13 - 11:29 am

With the hundreds of

With the hundreds of thousands of people, WAITING to adopt children; you would think a civilized society would not be killing unborn children!!

And those on the left, you would think since they support gay couples adobting, would want them to have some of these "unwanted" babies.

Tim Tebow was orginally supposed to be aborted, imagine that!! Well, I guess that's not a good example, since he is a man of faith, SOME would like to abort him now!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/12/13 - 11:42 am

I too think it is time to at

I too think it is time to at least face the reality that abortion is legal...as defined by the law of the land. Right or wrong that is the fact.

However, I think 20 weeks is time enough to decide. In fact, if left up to me, I would limit abortion to the first trimester. When it comes to putting a time limit on when someone can abort a viable fetus, I think the Texas limit of 20 weeks is quite generous.

I won't comment on the other part of the law about the required facilities because I have not delved into that aspect of their new law.

But I certainly think a 20 week limit is compromise that both sides should be able to live with given the facts that 1) the right to abortion will NEVER be overturned; and 2) at some point a fetus becomes a viable human being and entitled to the right to life...as already decided by the courts in cases of the murder of a pregnant women when the unborn child also dies and the murderer is charged with 2 counts of murder.

There is NO religion in my opinion.....just common sense.

Bizkit
21949
Bizkit 07/12/13 - 12:37 pm

Well dichot I was just

Well dichot I was just reading an article that predicted that humans will likely loose their lips during evolution and may grow beaks. I predict fetuses will evolve methods of life preservation-because DNA will always find a way to replicate. I can see it now-fetuses with armor or perhaps a fail safe mechanism if they go so does mom too. You can't beat evolution. Gosh I feel like Jeff Goldblum in Triassic Park.

Bizkit
21949
Bizkit 07/12/13 - 12:48 pm

I just gave myself a thumbs

I just gave myself a thumbs down for my 9:57 posit because I don't want to seem biased. It is amazing to read how the polls have changed for support of abortion (under any cause) during the last 30 years. Definitely reflects a growing population that sees life in a secular way as meaningless and since we are going to die why does it matter when. I guess Americans are becoming Natural Born Killers. Perhaps we can isolate the gene. Obama must have two copies of this gene with his support of abortion to kill babies, and drones to kill children. But oh no assault weapons although they have killed few children. I guess he feels it isn't as effective as abortion or drones. Now that's some pretty harsh rhetoric and expect some thumbs down and retorts-I can only stir this stew so long.

Cameron Poe
Cameron Poe 07/12/13 - 02:20 pm

I seriously hope all these

I seriously hope all these commenters are men. Because for a woman to not understand that being pro-choice does not mean pro-abortion, but simply you are for women being able to decide what is right for their bodies, would just be silly. Why on earth would women or any other group that has been oppressed throughout history want to give up the rights to their own bodies? For the life of me I can not understand how or why any rational woman would be ok with a group telling them what they can and can not do with their own bodies. I mean especially after that whole burning their bras thing and oh yeah that whole womens lib movement. So, heres hoping some of you understand that you don't have to agree with the practice to support someone else's right to choose. That's right being pro-choice is about the freedom to choose. Shocking isnt it?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/12/13 - 02:35 pm

I have a big problem with

I have a big problem with someone telling me what I can do to my own body, but I don't mind there being a law that forbids me from destroying the body of another person. And that's what a child is.....another person. You say that being pro-choice is about the freedom to choose....well your choice is no longer valid when it involves the killing of another person.

dahreese
dahreese 07/12/13 - 02:41 pm

Senator Davis is not the

Senator Davis is not the issue.

I am not necessarily for abortion, nor do I pretend to know at beyond what point should/if an abortion be denied.

I support a woman's choice to control her own body.

I certainly am not in support of "males" trying to call this shot.

But as this editorial calls for liberals to do some compromising, conservatives need to ask themselves that if they oppose abortion (especially for those unable to afford it and who do not need any more "food stamp children") whether it is better to have an abortion for a child who cannot be adequately supported, who is unwanted and unneeded, or would they would rather support this child, one day, on food stamps.
--------------------------------------
That said, the AC editorial staff needs to understand that while its editorials fool some folks with subtileness, everyone isn't fooled.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/12/13 - 02:47 pm

"conservatives need to ask

"conservatives need to ask themselves that if they oppose abortion (especially for those unable to afford it and who do not need any more "food stamp children") whether it is better to have an abortion for a child who cannot be adequately supported, who is unwanted and unneeded, or would they would rather support this child, one day, on food stamps."

Better off dead, right? How compassionate. I know I'd rather be killed than have to struggle through my childhood. But then again...that is the liberal way of thinking.....people should NEVER have to struggle to succeed. It's all starting to make sense.

dahreese
dahreese 07/12/13 - 03:00 pm

The majority, if not all, of

The majority, if not all, of the complaints on here from conservatives regarding food stamps, public housing, medical care, come from conservatives who oppose abortion - even if the child is unwanted,, unneeded, can't be adequately supported as a child should be.

As to my position on abortion, I stated that clearly.

Here is just another case when you just want to argue - but at least you didn't ask for "proof."

Cameron Poe
Cameron Poe 07/12/13 - 03:13 pm

The problem Angela is that

The problem Angela is that the law does not consider the fetus a child at the point in which abortion is allowed. Therefore it is not murder. You can cut it any which way you like but the law is the law. The fetus is dependent on the mother for life and therefore it is still part of the mothers body. Thus, allowing her to make the proper decision as to what is the best for her and her body.

And lets not be silly and hyperbolic about the compassion issue. Some times the right choice is not always the easiest choice. And your comment makes it seem as though every woman who chooses abortion is making that choice lightly. With all issues there will be those that abuse and misuse it. Hence the reason we have some restrictions and guidelines in place. But that does not take away from the fact that every woman has the right to choose what happens to her body. If you dont like it you make the choice not to do it. But you have no right to take that choice away from someone else.

KSL
KSL 07/12/13 - 03:25 pm

Humble Angela

I rearely disagree with you, but having been faced with the deciscion where I could legally have an abortion before R b W, I have to disagree with you on this. The conservatives need to back off this issue or they will continue to lose ground, and more.

By the way, there was no test to insure the would be baby was going to be normal or even what sex it would be.

I will add this. This day and time, there is little excuse to become pregnant id you do not wish to, and no excuse to delay termination should the health issue arise post 20 weeks except to save the life of the mother.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 07/12/13 - 03:28 pm

Cameron Poe....for the state

Cameron Poe....for the state in question here, Texas, you are actually incorrect. A fetus most certainly CAN be considered a child. That is why if you kill a pregnant woman in Texas, you are charged with 2 counts of murder. If it's not a person, there would only be one count. Your logic of dependence doesn't make sense either. Even after being born the child is completely dependent on the mother, yet she can't kill the child then, can she?

And Dahreese, yes you stated your position very clearly, yet despicably. You stated that it is better to be killed than to have to struggle through life.