Race to judgment

They had Zimmerman convicted before trial; it doesn't work that way

Months before the first testimony in the case, the usual cast of race hustlers tried to make the Trayvon Martin killing into some kind of barometer of race relations in America.

The media were giddy to promote that divisive narrative, and likely will continue to do so when the verdict comes in. NBC even edited tape of a phone call to make the shooter, George Zimmerman, appear racist: It aired audio of Zimmerman offering an emergency dispatcher information about Martin’s race, seemingly out of thin air. But the network purposely left out the fact that the dispatcher had asked Zimmerman about the young man’s race.

The hustlers’ folly, of course, is profound and quite dangerous.

First off, a confrontation between two ill-fated individuals says nothing about the country as a whole or about the state of race relations.

This was a titanic collision – the result of a catastrophic chain of fateful events. Zimmerman appears to have been an overzealous wanna-be cop who ignored instructions from authorities to stay on the sidelines; Martin, frankly, appears not to be the Boy Scout the hustlers tried to paint him.

Secondly, while there’s a long dark shadow of haunting civil wrongs done to innocent blacks in American history, this case is not so cut and dried. There is great contention over how the confrontation between Zimmerman and Martin proceeded.

The jury will be hard-pressed to ignore Zimmerman’s claim of self-defense. And remember: Our system requires a finding of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

This case had reasonable doubt written all over it from the start. Many observers believe the prosecutors have overpromised the Martin family and its supporters by overcharging Zimmerman with second-degree murder; it will be most difficult to prove. You have to wonder if the national-level attention and intense protests forced the prosecutors’ hand to cover their backsides.

And with the testimony of supposed star witness Rachel Jeantel, the prosecution now appears to have under-delivered as well as overpromised. She has been a disaster on the witness stand: having to admit lying; muddling the time-line; admitting that Martin, himself, had used a racial slur about Zimmerman in his last phone call with her; and exhibiting an inappropriate, even offensive attitude in court that can’t have endeared her to the jury or enhanced her credibility.

“That is not the attitude you want from your star witness when it’s critical that the jury believe her,” one television legal analyst said, noting even the Martin family seemed exasperated with Jeantel.

Analysts “generally found Jeantel devastating – to the state,” the Orlando Sentinel wrote. One of them described the key witness as “unraveling. She’s got no credibility.”

“It was a classic meltdown,” another analyst summed up. “I haven’t seen such a meltdown in about 35 years. You may see the first unraveling of the state’s case. It better get better from here. If it doesn’t, they have real problems.”

And so might the nation – if the race hustlers have succeeded in convincing many folks that an acquittal in this case is an injustice and a cause for unrest. They had Zimmerman convicted before his arrest. But that’s not how our system works. That’s not how justice works.

The hustlers called for “Justice for Trayvon.” The goal ought to be justice, period.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/28/13 - 10:27 pm
I heard you the first time,

I heard you the first time, carcraft. Gun toting, martial arts class taking, self-appointed neighborhood watch captain, cop wanna be, who couldn't be was looking for trouble. Tragically, Trayvon Martin skittled in his path. Beyond a reasonable doubt is is heavy burden to prove on a second degree murder charge since there are no eyewitnesses that could see much of anything..so, he'll probably walk. But, sadly, it is my bet if the victim had been white, it would have been a slam dunk for the prosecution.

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/28/13 - 09:33 pm
palmetto1008

If someone gets the drop on you and delivers a stiff jab to the nose, you'll have a couple seconds of star gazing. I agree he wasn't a good student if he allowed someone to "get the drop", though that in and of itself doesn't prove a thing.

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/28/13 - 09:40 pm
"But, sadly, it is my bet if

"But, sadly, it is my bet if the victim has been white, it would have been a slam dunk for the prosecution."

But sadly you have absolutely no evidence to back up that assertion.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/28/13 - 09:45 pm
I said it was "my bet," Fred.

I said it was "my bet," Fred.

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/28/13 - 09:52 pm
I said it was "my bet," Fred.

Wow, I'd say that was a bad bet. Do you like to play poker? If so we should get together for some Texas hold'em. (which just so happens to be what I'm playing at this very minute). I do so like teaching fish!

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/28/13 - 10:07 pm
Palmetto, according to record

Palmetto, according to record Zimmerman took the classes over a year ago. Doesn't say for how long he took the classes or even if he was any good at it so your comment making it appear as if this guy is a martial arts enthusiast is misleading.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/28/13 - 10:08 pm
According to record,, ICL.

According to record,, ICL. He killed Trayvon Martin over a year ago. The medical professional he saw for a sore butt the day after the alleged murder testified that he had been taking classes to relieve stress to remediate his insomnia. Did I say anything about enthusiasm??

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/28/13 - 10:15 pm
I do not play Texas hold 'em,

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/28/13 - 10:24 pm
Another professional

Another professional criminologist weighs in... it's looking bleak for Z.

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/28/13 - 10:38 pm
palmetto1008

“I do not play Texas hold 'em, Fred. My bets are not made on simple random chances.”
Ohh, I'm surprised you break it down to one such simple element, while there is an element of random chance, there is so much more to the game then that! The only game I'm aware of that has no element of chance is chess (I'm sure I'll be corrected on this). Not tooting my own horn, but I'm not to shabby at that game either.

(ie insinuation that the role of races being reversed would change the outcome) "I said it was my bet"
(ie insinuation martial arts training makes scenario unlikely) "Did I say anything about enthusiasm"

No, you just insinuated, if you claim you didn't, then what exactly was the point of your post? This is a murder trial, insinuations mean nothing.

If it is proved that Zimmerman targeted Trayvon for murder then I'll jump on the bandwagon. I'll be able to hold my head up high, knowing I didn't let emotionalism rule my opinions.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/28/13 - 10:39 pm
"Gun toting, martial arts

"Gun toting, martial arts class taking, self-appointed neighborhood watch captain, cop wanna be, who couldn't be was looking for trouble. "

Palmetto, sure sounded to me like you were describing him as an enthusiast.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/28/13 - 10:40 pm
Exactly, Gage. 25 years in

Exactly, Gage. 25 years in the profession. I did say, though, that he'd likely walk. So, my bets are on Zimmerman. And, that is a professional opinion...because my personal opinion differs immensely. But our justice system is designed to give the greatest benefit of the doubt to the accused....and that's a blessing, too.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 06/28/13 - 10:51 pm
Fred...just one more point

Fred...just one more point you (and I think one other person on this thread, though maybe it is only you) are confusing first degree with second degree murder. You might want to look it up. I will quiz you on it tomorrow, since for tonight, I'm tired of doing this when I'm not getting paid for it.

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/28/13 - 10:54 pm
" I will quiz you on it

" I will quiz you on it tomorrow"

In that case I'll save my big 'ole slice of humble pie for tomorrow.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/28/13 - 11:29 pm
Wow... 25 years in the

Wow... 25 years in the trenches eh? I guess that would have some bearing on the apparent exhibition of the Stockholm Syndrome...

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/29/13 - 12:12 am
Ha Gage, I believe you hit

Ha Gage, I believe you hit the nail head.

Since no situation is without extenuating circumstances, what do lawyers do? They attempt to legislate all circumstances...

A circular nightmare, since something will always turn up, a square peg that won't quite fit into a round hole...

What happens then? Well, if there's enough outrage to make the politicians feel uncomfortable, the lawyers get to work, producing yet another layer of law/regulation, new checklist are created, and new positions within the bureaucracy are created to keep up with the new checklist. Bureaucrats, judges, attorneys, and law students are all trained on how to “exactly” handle the situation. Until the new outrage to justice happens and the process is repeated.

Our bureaucratic, checklist, PC form of government doesn't allow for common sense, because people in positions of power no longer have the backbone to make a decision without “paperwork back-up” and because 100% of the people can't be satisfied 100% of the time. So yet another layer of checklist and laws are created for the decision makers to hide behind.

I believe there is an over representation of attorney's in congress. Could this perhaps be a major problem?

Then again, maybe I'm overreacting?!

carcraft
carcraft 06/29/13 - 08:23 am
Palmetto, sorry, I was using

Palmetto, sorry, I was using the cell phone to post. I studied martial arts for years and sucked at it! I think my 6 month old grand daughter could take me!

Augusta jobless rate worsens

Metro Augusta's unemployment rate increased to 8 percent in July, the Georgia Department of Labor announced Thursday.