Allow to cool

Heated emotions over racist epithet boil over before all the ingredients are known

Some folks complain there’s a double standard with regard to the “N” word; that blacks can use it gratuitously, while it’s a professional death sentence for whites to.

Paula Deen has become the new poster child for that double standard, as she’s being dropped like a rotten potato by the Food Network and by Smithfield Foods for her having acknowledged using it sometime in the past.

Meanwhile, rap singers get away with – and get handsomely paid for – using it all day long.

It’s hard for this page to get worked up about that double standard. You need only see the movie 42 – a dramatic portrayal of Jackie Robinson’s breaking of baseball’s color barrier – to be reminded of how insidious and injurious that despicable word is, particularly when said in abject hatred by one of another race.

Moreover, if you want to talk about double standards, let’s talk about segregation. That’s the ultimate in double standards.

Still, we don’t endorse the word’s use by anyone.

That said, it’s easy to overreact to such an emotion-dripped word. Are we now going to excommunicate anyone and everyone who’s ever uttered it?

We simply don’t know if that’s all there is to the case of Paula Deen, and whether punitive measures against her are warranted. That may depend on how long ago her use of it was; what context it was said in; and if there is anything to Deen’s former restaurant manager Lisa Jackson’s claims in her lawsuit alleging a hostile work environment.

Unfortunately, there has been so much crying wolf in such cases that allegations in a lawsuit have to be taken with a grain of salt. That’s sad for the true victims of real racist behaviors.

For what it’s worth, we would think that what’s in a person’s heart today is much more important than what may have crossed his or her lips 40 or 50 years ago. And while we can’t know for certain what is in Paula Deen’s heart, the lawsuit against her might provide a few glimpses.

Similarly, several awkward and oddly amateurish apology videos she made when the story broke last week seem to show a woman with a deeply contrite heart. Of course, that makes you wonder what all may be in there to be contrite about. We just have to see what emerges from this case.

If the worst that ultimately emerges is that Deen, like so many back in the day, used a horrible word, and is, like most of us today, horrified by it, then the Food Network has acted precipitously and she should eventually be welcomed back.

If it’s worse than that, her troubles have only begun.

Let’s put this on simmer and see what all’s in the pot before we stir it too much.

specsta
specsta 06/25/13 - 03:08 am
What In The Ham Sandwich Is Going On???

ACES - this has to be the most confusing editorial I've ever read. I didn't realize so many unrelated subjects (the Jackie Robinson story? segregation? rap?) could be contained in one commentary...

Take a vacation - please...

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/25/13 - 04:32 am
Heh... let the games begin

Too bad you can't spread some of that wait & see with the National news....seems they have already barbecued the woman...& just waiting for desserts..

Yesterday I saw a clip of Bill Maher taking up for her ....he said words shouldn't fire her....well ole Bill...you have made a great living on words & I have laughed many times but thanks for seeing through the morass & using common sense.

Paula Deen honey....just keep cooking & hold your head up because we will continue to cook right along side of ya.

Keep making money for Georgia too!

ymnbde
ymnbde 06/25/13 - 05:49 am
the real scandal is that young black males

comprise less than 3% of our population
yet commit over 50% of all violent crime
the real scandal is that young black males
or any young male or female
are so woefully educated by the federal government
why doesn't anyone ever get fired over that?

carcraft
carcraft 06/25/13 - 05:58 am
Gee, How come Robert Byrd got

Gee, How come Robert Byrd got a pass, he was only a Grand Dragon of the KKK, and I am sure he used the N word more than any twenty "Rappers" could hope to...OH I forgot, he was a Democrat...

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/25/13 - 07:09 am
Moving on up...

I remember growing up seeing a certain show about a black man who achieved wealth and status yet referred to his white neighbor quiet frequently as a "honkie". There is a Lil Wayne song were he says something about squinting eyes like an Asian!!! I guess only whites are racist in America.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/25/13 - 07:28 am
In Paula Deen's climb to the

In Paula Deen's climb to the top she has found it necessary to cozy up to the leftist in the media. She came out in support of Obama as proof she was one of them thinking this would win her some "brownie points". In this "tolerant" world of these politically correct liberals she has committed blasphemy.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 06/25/13 - 07:38 am
TV language

@scoobynews...
I didn't care for a lot of the language on the shows you referenced but there is a difference between satire and reality. I saw my behavior/attitude more than once when watching "All in the family" and it gave me pause for reflection. I even posted on yesterday that no one should be using the "H" word....you spelled it out and I choose not to even write it out in deference to other people's humanity. Using even the H word is a smear and if I hear people calling each other that name, and I have, I, as a decent person, don't have the right to do likewise. To me that is the real issue, not how many rappers or comediennes use it without reprisal.

I'm not of the generation of Lil Dwayne, Wayne or whatever his name is. Our policy inthis home was we the parents determine what's aired under the roof we are paying for. I hope all parents do likewise; that's a start.

I do appreciate your point of view because it does shed light on where decent people differ on this troubling behavior.

deestafford
deestafford 06/25/13 - 07:40 am
To get more detailed information on this case than you get

in the national news and media I recommend you go to Savannahnow.com and read some articles written by the local media of the Savannah Morning News. Also, I commented on this in detail at the letter to the editor section in today's AC.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 06/25/13 - 08:05 am
While we're on the subject,

Why not talk about going too far in the other direction? African-American, Mexican-American, Asian-American, for examples. I don't know about you, but I was born in this country. So were my parents and grandparents. To be politically correct, that makes me an American-American-American right? Does it matter what the color of my skin is?

People should be judged by the content of their character, but in today's society MLK's message is totally lost. All the efforts of the Kennedy's and countless others who gave so much in the grassroots battle for equality have labored for nothing. Anyone who wishes to put another country before America, is NOT truly an American and should move to their first choice of countries.

I heard a black say on the radio one time, that he wants to be called an African-American because he doesn't want to forget his heritage. Well, I don't want to forget mine either! I'll bend to his request if we bring back the Stars and Bars on the Georgia State Flag. That symbol did not represent slavery as some outspoken critics would have us believe. It stood for a people who were opposed to too much government, much like what we're experiencing today. They stood up and fought for what they believed in, unlike what we're seeing today. Those people were our ansestors and should not be forgotten or misinterpreted.

allhans
allhans 06/25/13 - 08:25 am
One comment yesterday said

One comment yesterday said the majority in the south used those derogatory terms.
How unfortunate that folks will still publish such tripe. The Majority never called anyone bad names. Lots of people did, regretfully, but far from the majority. In my very large extended family no one ever thought of such a thing and we didn't associate with those who did.

deestafford
deestafford 06/25/13 - 08:42 am
African-American is not really identifying a race.

It is identifying a person from a geographical region of the earth. The term came about by the race pimps such as Jesse Jackson trying to stir the pot of racial conflict. He started off with "Afro-American" and eventually morphed into African American. There are Arabs from Africa (especially the northern part) and there are white Africans (especially from the southern part of Africa).

I heard the story of one of the liberals of the Clinton administration who was in a meeting and she was so polictically correct that she referred to a black African as an "African, African American".

Black is a race if we are identifying by color. To be accurate Negroid is the true racial identification for blacks just as Caucasian is the accurate identification for whites.

American is a nationally. Hyphenated American to me means you are less than a full American and not completely committed to the greatest country in the history of the world...even though our current statists are trying to make it otherwise.

So, if someone asks about race, heritage, nationality they could all be different things depending on how accurate or PC one may want to be.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/25/13 - 08:43 am
I don't care much about this

I don't care much about this "news", most of it is kinda funny. My thoughts are that if there's a market out there for her skills, she should be allowed to earn a living by using those skills. But you know what's even more amusing to me? Everybody, ACES included, is keeping silent about the other part. This woman prepares and cooks THE MOST UNHEALTHY, LIFE SHORTENING MEALS ON PLANET EARTH, then contracted type 2 diabetes and never told her fans and supporters about it. She became a hypocrite for money. That's why i have no use for her.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/25/13 - 09:04 am
You forget now they say it

You forget now they say it isn't diet or anything else that causes heart disease but likely your bacterial flora in your gut. All people who live in the US are African American because all modern humans migrated out of Africa. The sensitivity to one race (well there are no races just ethnicities) is discriminatory because in actuality discrimination against Asians and Hispanics is much stronger. I find it odd that during the time interval between Martin being killed by Zimmerman and the actual court date numerous deaths have occurred black on black and black on white. Yet I hear no outrage nor accusations of discrimination against whites. There is no race but if you believe in that nonsense then accept there are more than one.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/25/13 - 09:35 am
Not only

robert byrd but jimmy "the rabbit" carter, george wallace and those grand democrats who backtracked when in election mode. Give me a break. Most people, black, white, yellow have used derogatory terms for one another for centuries. I've used the N word many times and will when the naacp stands still and allows a race to be known more for it's criminality than it's useful accomplishments. Blacks comprise ( at the moment ) less than 15% of the entire American population yet inhabit almost 70% of the jails and prisons in the area that they reside. When you blacks get really tired of being the N word and start acting like someone who wants to help humanity rather than destroy it, the word might just go POOF!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/25/13 - 09:43 am
A courageous black Pee Wee

A courageous black Pee Wee Reese should step up and give Paula Deen a hug in public. She has been wronged.

IBeDogGone
IBeDogGone 06/25/13 - 10:19 am
In The Day

I am about the Age of Paula Deen and back in the day when we were still churning her famous butter on the farm if we didn't use lard that word was not offensive. Would I use it today NEVER, but if this happened years ago why is the media making such a fuss about it. Some of my close friends are Blacks that worked on my daddy's farm. I loved those children and the women that took care of me and we stayed in contact till they died.

I understand Blacks use that word now as slang and that is fine with me. All cultures pick up different slang words and AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DIS!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/25/13 - 11:18 am
Truth Matters

I think the Bunkers and Jeffersons offered us all some insights on how ridiculous we can be at times.

As far as slurs go, being callied honkie never bothered me much. Here is a database with literally hundreds of slurs/nicknames: http://www.rsdb.org/full

No one is exempt.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/25/13 - 11:20 am
Times change. I remember when

Times change. I remember when we watched movies in school about the evils of pot and homosexuals. So we called homosexuals the "Q" word and if I were to beat one up I was considered a hero and doing my civic duty. Course I believe that was wrong-just as I didn't understand the need for different waiting rooms, movie theatre sections, water coolers, etc. for blacks. But that was the culture of then-you can't defend it. But why persecute just some rather than all if you are going to persecute-anyone in the entertainment industry who has used the "N" word in the last thirty years should be punished.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 06/25/13 - 01:25 pm
Heritage

Actually the GA state flag IS the Stars and Bars.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 06/25/13 - 01:26 pm
I've told my black friends

I've told my black friends that it's OK for them to call me crack-AH, but just don't call me crack-ER.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/25/13 - 02:01 pm
HA @ 1:25

"Actually the GA state flag IS the Stars and Bars."

Reguardless of what race one is, WE ALL KNOW the rebel flag is offencive to Black Americans ! SOOO, to use your own words stop "poking the bear".

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/25/13 - 02:54 pm
I don't care for either show

I don't care for either show and in my opinion both were racist. What really bothers me is when the young black men in my class use it as a greeting. I had this happen just this past year. When asked why they used a word others died for so they would not be called that the response was "it is ok if we use it". That is just plain sad.