This is about human rights

Freedom from tyranny is not a conservative or liberal issue

Questioning authority and pushing back against a tyrannical government isn’t a conservative cause. Fact is, it has often been a liberal one.

It’s a human rights issue. It’s about freedom.

It is in this spirit that we implore our liberal friends to make common cause with conservatives in fighting the attacks on freedom coming from this presidential administration.

The Justice Department’s spying on journalists – at the Associated Press, Fox News and perhaps elsewhere – and the use of the IRS and other federal agencies to target conservative groups and individuals have to be seen as what they are: attacks on us all.

The reasons should be obvious, but to summarize:

1) If the government manages to track journalists’ interactions with their sources, that will cast a chill on the news-gathering process that has helped keep Americans free. It will undoubtedly intimidate sources into withholding vital public information. And we will all be diminished by that.

2) If this administration is free to use the awesome power of the federal government to cower and harass conservative opponents, then no one is safe. Another administration with a different ideological bent might feel free to single out liberal groups and individuals for harassment.

Besides, no fair-minded individual would want that kind of treatment extended to anyone, even a political rival.

At least, that’s the America we should all want.

We are encouraged that some very prominent liberals in the news and entertainment media have come forward, however reluctantly, to decry the Obama administration’s abuses of power, including Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson, Comedy Central’s Jon Stewart and, to some extent, CNN’s Piers Morgan and even the late-night comedians.

“The Obama administration,” Robinson writes, “has no business rummaging through journalists’ phone records, perusing their e-mails and tracking their movements in an attempt to keep them from gathering news. This heavy-handed business isn’t chilling, it’s just plain cold. It also may well be unconstitutional.”

“Our job, simply,” he adds, “is to find out what the government doesn’t want you to know.”

If the Obama administration view of journalism “had been the view of prior administrations, surely Bob Woodward would be a lifer in some federal prison. The cell next door might be occupied by my Post colleague Dana Priest, who disclosed the CIA’s network of secret prisons. Or by the New York Times’ James Risen and Eric Lichtblau, who revealed the National Security Agency’s eavesdropping program,” Robinson writes.

CNN’s Morgan, who repeatedly mocked and attacked gun advocates after the Newtown shooting, admits he’s thinking differently these days.

“I’ve had some of the pro-gun lobbyists on here, saying to me, ‘Well, the reason we need to be armed is because of tyranny from our own government,’ and I’ve always laughed at them. And I’ve always said, ‘don’t be so ridiculous; your own government won’t turn itself on you,’” he told a recent guest. “But, actually, this is vaguely tyrannical behavior by the American government. I think what the IRS did is bordering on tyrannical behavior. I think what the Department of Justice has done, actually, to the AP is bordering on tyrannical behavior.”

Our only complaint with Mr. Morgan is his use of the words “vaguely” and “bordering.”

Freedom is a human issue, with no ideology.

Let’s fight for it together.

ymnbde
ymnbde 05/25/13 - 11:41 am
compromise?

on how many lies can be told when ambassadors are murdered?
on a quota for how many ambassadors can be murdered?
how many support staff can be murdered?
how many illegal guns the government can send to Mexico?
how many American citizens can then be killed with those guns?
how many rights the IRS can steal from Americans?
how many lies can be told in defense of a tyrannical liberal controlled IRS?
how many days Obama can spend playing golf?
on how many children can graduate without being able to read?
on how much money of our taxes can be wasted?
how many stains are allowed on a little blue dress?
is that the compromise you want?
a compromise is when Democrats, including hillary and kerry, vote FOR the war in Iraq.
But really, what does it matter?
There is no compromise with liars.

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 11:55 am
@dahreese

dahreese
dahreese 05/25/13 - 12:24 pm
"Dang, I thought you would

"Dang, I thought you would have loved, loved, loved medicare part D; that Bush passed. That's just one of many."

You are correct that I appreciate medicare part D.

However, you certainly have not forgotton the battle over the accusation of its passage that it would undermind the drug corporations via their complaints that if it passed it would lower their profits.

Hence to protect them, GWB sold out (and so did AARP, by the way) and inserted the "donut hole" whereby after a short period/cost of government assistance, and right at the point when the receipent needed help, it wasn't there.... (Thankfully, Obama did away with the donut hole, and I no doubt think you don't mind that either?).

It has, however, cost less than was projected by its opponents. And since it has shown it can work, it's costs are less than projected, the drug corporations are still making huge profits, less move on to a "single-payer" medical system in this country (which Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats are whinning about).

I suppose you have more of the "many" we could talk about?

That said, I'm all for an open press to keep tabs on government at all levels.

He is a war criminal. He started an unnecessary war. There are some countries that he cannot not enter without fear of arrest - and a bunch of his henchmen.

(Nor am I a Hillary fan).

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 05/25/13 - 12:26 pm
Great article..

..ACES. And since you are so "in to" Eugene Robinson, here are two other editorials by him. No doubt you have read them.

allhans
allhans 05/25/13 - 12:31 pm
Closing the Plan-D do-nut

Closing the Plan-D do-nut hole was another political ploy by Obama to drag us in. A very small percentage of members actually reach that amount...............I talked with a senior group 2 weeks ago and none, zero, had ever reached that point.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 01:43 pm
"That said...George W. Bush

"That said...George W. Bush was the worst president in my life time, and the country and the rest of the planet will suffer for many ages to come because of him."

How are you still posting if you died in 2009?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 01:51 pm
"That said, I'm all for an

"That said, I'm all for an open press to keep tabs on government at all levels. "

The administration that you seem to love so much doesn't share that sentiment. Just ask James Rosin.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 02:23 pm
Calling Bush a war criminal

Calling Bush a war criminal is an unsubstantiated statement which violates the terms of posting on this site.

historylover
historylover 05/25/13 - 02:29 pm
Limit on posts

Sean, I honestly believe that you are letting one or two persons run or should I say ruin this comment section. These long, long posts over and over are like being preached to. They are boring and in my opinion serve no purpose what so ever. Posts on any one subject should be limited like a true debate - one to voice your opinion and two to rebut. Just saying.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 02:31 pm
HA your own words

"Who on earth would you expect the republicans to vote in favor of destructive laws and regulations?"

historylover
historylover 05/25/13 - 02:31 pm
Humble Angela

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 02:33 pm
AMEN Historylover

"If every post that was unsubstantiated was removed from this site there would be no posts."

Could not have said it any better !!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 02:37 pm
So we should just allow

AS for compromising with the Obama Administration. Why should they? If I was going to steal all of the things in your house, would you compromise with me and allow me to only steal a few things? The republicans and a few of the democrats are right to try to stop what Obama is trying to do to our country.

Notice that I made no unsubstantiated statements in that post. The closest was the last sentence, which was my opinion.

chascushman
chascushman 05/25/13 - 02:47 pm
“It should be clear to libs.

“It should be clear to libs. and conservs. that this Republican Congress has absolutely no expectations of compromising with The Obama Administration !”
Bledsoe, I hope you are correct the less the repubs compromise with the Marxist/communist in the WH the better.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 02:50 pm
HA it is a good idea for non-brainiacs

"So we should just allow people to post things that are not true? That's a good idea."

I have stated this before, "Some people just want to talk about what could be are what couldn't be. You know, like conversation !

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 05/25/13 - 02:55 pm
Tim, that is different that

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 03:15 pm
HA use your e-mail

"Tim, that is different than stating things that simply are not true as if they are. There is a word for that, but Sean gets on to me when I use it."

HA use e-mail to tell me this word that Sean doesn't like.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/25/13 - 03:50 pm
Getting my back-side kicked

I guess I have had enough for today. Maybe tomorrow. Have a good evening.

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 03:55 pm
@dahreese

"I suppose you have more of the "many" we could talk about?"

Are you asking me to provide the information I spoke of; hence proving a claim that I made? I'll have you know I'm offended at this; how dare YOU or Humble Angela ask me to prove something to you.

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 03:59 pm
@historylover

OR; you could stop complaining and NOT read them. You do have a mouse, right? You can scroll with that mouse? Then do so!! Again, I'm not saying you were talking about me only (I know I type long comments); but I've also never complained about others who type long comments; even ones I completely disagree with. It just seems very shallow to complain about others having a debate, when you DO NOT have to participate or read them.

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 04:07 pm
@dahreese

Tell you what; I'll give specific examples of what I was referring to, when you go back and answer HA's many requests for you to prove MANY claims you've made. Instead, you demean her requests and then insinuate that I should provide the "many" examples I spoke of. I cut that comment off earlier because I had to go; but I'll give you the examples when you start answering ANY of our requests for you to prove your claims, that you stat are FACT; not opinion.

Also, you mentioned you're not a Hillary fan; what about Harry Reid, John Kerry, Dianne Feinstien and the many other liberals? Should we prosecute ALL of them as war criminals? Remember, they all voted YES. They all received the SAME intelligence that led us into Iraq.

I can't decide who was worse; Carter or Obama. But I'm sure when Obama is done, it won't even be close.

myfather15
myfather15 05/25/13 - 04:09 pm
@historylover

Oooops; I just made four comments in a ROW, I should be immediately Banned. There would probably be lots of folks cheering that decision; and guess what? It wouldn't be the first time I've been banned.

Ms.Anthrope
Ms.Anthrope 05/25/13 - 06:30 pm
PATRIOT ACT

A good book to read on this subject is "How Would a Patriot Act? Defending American Values from a President Run Amok." by Glenn Greenwald.

carcraft
carcraft 05/25/13 - 06:49 pm
The Republicans have reached

The Republicans have reached across to the Democrats and got slapped down twice. During the "health care summit " McCain offered to work with Obama and was told by Obama "Well you lost "! During the sequester the Obama and the Democrats were offered targeted cuts to reduce the impact of sequester. They refused!

Darby
Darby 05/25/13 - 06:55 pm
" I see all this as good for the republic, the

cleansing of corruption should be our motivation, not the political theater so many find to push their idealist agendas."

Translation: Something should be done, just nothing that will reflect poorly on Obama or anyone in or connected to his administration.

Darby
Darby 05/25/13 - 07:37 pm
"The Republicans have reached across to the

Democrats and got slapped down twice."

Nothing new there. Bush stepped aside and gave complete freedom to Teddy Kennedy and his staff to write the "No Child Left Behind act".

All he got was a political knife in the back for his bi-partisan effort.

Some things never change.

Darby
Darby 05/25/13 - 07:38 pm
"Posts on any one subject should be limited

like a true debate - one to voice your opinion and two to rebut."

Sounds as though someone out there wants Sean's job.

Ms.Anthrope
Ms.Anthrope 05/25/13 - 10:14 pm
who?

who gave my post "Patriot Act" thumbs up?

KSL
KSL 05/25/13 - 10:50 pm
This is not a "true debate."

This is not a "true debate." Sounds like someone is bothered by the multiple comments resulting from the inexcuseable and illegal actions of the current administration.

Ms.Anthrope
Ms.Anthrope 05/26/13 - 04:15 am
@ KSL

if the actions are so illegal, what are you waiting for? Begin the impeachment process immediately !!!!!
in GOP we trust..............