Moore resolve

After deadly tornado, Oklahomans show brave commitment to move forward

On Facebook, a proud Kansas father posts a photo of his son walking through the grass toward his elementary school on a sunny day.

At Stevens Creek Elementary School in Martinez, hordes of parked cars line the street on a beautiful spring morning for a 5th Grade honors program on the last day of school.

All around the country, routine – precious, blessed, comforting routine – greeted most of us on Tuesday.

In Moore, Okla., the shaken set about the twin tasks of digging out survivors and burying the dead from one of the country’s deadliest and most destructive tornadoes in memory.

Those who live long in tornado alley – Moore was hit hard just 14 years ago – can have nightmares about it. On Monday, those nightmares became startlingly real.

Everyone’s worst fear – having a school full of children hit squarely – also came true, as children at Plaza Towers Elementary and Briarwood Elementary schools huddled in halls and lavatories, some sheathed under their teachers’ protective instincts.

The death toll bounced around in the hours following, but there was no doubt that dozens were killed. Some 240 were said to be injured, a quarter of them children.

One brave woman on the phone to the news media surveyed her flattened home while noting the splintered houses and insulation and other debris were just “stuff.”

Yes, but so much of it. And so much of it that is so meaningful – family heirlooms and photographs, all the things we tally up as memories.

They only had 15 minutes or so to take cover, which doesn’t sound like a lot – and certainly not enough to think about saving precious items, when lives are what really matter. Yet, those few minutes of warning no doubt saved lives, perhaps dozens.

Indeed, most of the deadliest U.S. tornadoes on record came before the advent of modern storm tracking – the principal exception being the Monster of Joplin, Mo., which killed 158 two years ago this week.

Georgia is not immune, either: Gainesville claims two places on the list of the nation’s 25 deadliest tornadoes (April 6, 1936, and June 1, 1903).

Our hearts and prayers go out to the good people of Moore, Okla., who have been attacked by two monsters in 14 years – but who, in media interviews Monday, expressed an enduring faith and an unshakable resolve to move forward.

They will need more resolve than they ever have.

Determination is just the start, of course, and they will also need all the help they can get to recover. We encourage you to seek out ways to send that help, through such organizations as the American Red Cross – at www.redcross.org, and at 1-800 REDCROSS. You may also text REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10.

It’s a tangible way to express your gratitude for an uninterrupted and merciful routine.

myfather15
myfather15 05/22/13 - 05:40 am
The lamestream news media

The lamestream news media simply can NOT understand why all these people they are interviewing are thanking God. They just simply can't get it, but they need too. They need to develop that close personal relationship with Him. Then they would understand how, in the worst times of your life; you will still thank God for the little things.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 05/22/13 - 07:32 am
Ah, nothing like made up

Ah, nothing like made up right wing buzz words early in the morning.

curly123053
curly123053 05/22/13 - 08:03 am
Praying!!!!

Amen myfather15......When you have Christ in your heart you can see the light in the lowest darkest valleys of life. I have seen it heartwarming for so many survivors to be thanking God for simply giving them another day of life after such a horrendous storm. As a trained volunteer of the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief in SC I know those folks are already on the ground in Shawnee, Moore, and the other parts of Oklahoma hit by twisters, and they will be showing those victims the Light of God they need at this time. I continue to pray for all involved, including the 1st Responders who had the task of recovering those who died. I pray for the miracle of no more bodies being found in all that destruction.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/22/13 - 08:14 am
Talk of money and help

Perhaps it is a trivial thing to bring up at this point, but insurance companies need to be FORCED if necessary to pay up ASAP ! Also the state and federal governments should WASTE absolutely NO TIME in getting these people some MAJOR HELP !!

grouse
grouse 05/22/13 - 08:20 am
Seems to me that prayer is a

Seems to me that prayer is a waste of time. If there is a god who can intervene, why is he always reactive instead of proactive? Why does he need human prayers to act? Folks need to "get it" that they are praying to the wind.

karradur
karradur 05/22/13 - 09:07 am
@myfather15

When I clicked this article, I thought to myself, "I'll probably completely agree with the editorial itself and disagree with the comments". And I was right. The ACES actually wrote something meaningful and nonpartisan, and also provided ways for local people to help out. In that regard, I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the editorial itself, and I've already donated because of their helpful information. Thank you, ACES.

As to you, myfather15.

Did you see the interview Wolf Blitzer did yesterday with the woman holding her toddler in front of the wreckage of her house, and he asked her if she thanked God for surviving, and she calmly, respectfully told him that she was an atheist?

Think about that for one second.

God killed at least twenty Christians and saved an atheist.

Talk about rewarding faith.

OJP
OJP 05/22/13 - 11:23 am
@myfather15

The "lamestream" media shouldn't assume anything about someone's religious beliefs, as Wolf Blitzer learned:

myfather15
myfather15 05/22/13 - 01:38 pm
First of all...

I made that comment after watching a specific interview done by a CBS female reporter. I don't know her name and didn't catch it; but she had a snide little comment to make after a person she was interviewing thanked God for blessing her and sparing her life. After the woman walked away, the reporter said "People here are still thanking God, even after nature has taken everything they own. It's hard to understand."

Why did she have to say that? Why couldn't she just let them speak and leave their faith alone? If nothing else, it helps them get through these tough times to believe there is a higher being and power, LEAVE THEM ALONE!! She reminds me of "giantsallday" on here with her snide comments about something people believe so deeply in. Why does one professing their faith absolutely EAT athiests alive? It's like they cringe everytime they hear someone talk about God. People like Tim Tebow getting lambasted by the media, simply because he kneels on a football field and prays. WHO CARES PEOPLE, leave him alone.

myfather15
myfather15 05/22/13 - 01:42 pm
@karradur

"and he asked her if she thanked God for surviving, and she calmly, respectfully told him that she was an atheist?" AND???

Ok, I've thought about it some more...................AND? What exactly do you want me to think about?

"God killed at least twenty Christians and saved an atheist."

myfather15
myfather15 05/22/13 - 01:57 pm
Global warming, global

Global warming, global warming; bla bla bla. Why don't you read what Meteorologist Joe Bastardi has to say about global warming. BUT, he doesn't support it so he is not a legitimate meteorologist, I suppose. Anyone who doesn't believe in global warming isn't considered legitimate to the LP's. Want me to list the rest of the scientist who state that global warming is a myth? There are hundreds, if not thousands.

Even though it's PROVEABLE that we've had LESS major storms over the last 30-40 years than they had in the late 1800's to 1960. The 1950's were the worst on record for major storms.

Ever heard of the Tri-State Tornadoes? What about Nachez? If you look at history, besides Joplin Missouri; ALL the most damaging tornadoes in US history occured prior to 1955. I'm not talking about death tolls, because we certainly have less now because we are better equipped to deal with them. But with damage estimates, adjusted for inflation; they still rank higher than ANY recent tornadoes, besides Joplin.

karradur
karradur 05/22/13 - 02:01 pm
@myfather15

"So, you know the ones who died were Christian........how? I suppose now you have spiritual powers that told you all the victims were Christian and NONE athiest. Hhhhhmmmm, nice observation. BUT, as usually with LP's; I guess we will have to take your word for it."

Your post at 5:40:

"The lamestream news media simply can NOT understand why all these people they are interviewing are thanking God."

You assumed (wrongly) that all the people they interviewing are Christian. So you must have spiritual powers that told you that all people interviewed were Christian and none were atheist.

"People like Tim Tebow getting lambasted by the media, simply because he kneels on a football field and prays."

Tim Tebow gets lambasted by the media because his public persona is much bigger than his actual football talent.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/22/13 - 02:16 pm
I will not get into a heated

I will not get into a heated arguement on here, hence this will be my last post on this subject. My intent is not to convince people such as MF15 of anything. If I had a wish it would be that someone, perhaps a middle/high school/college student will read my comments and then thier active curiousity and intellect will be aroused to the point where they would be willing to research these things on their own. I appreciate the ACES for the original message, ie donations and help. I would like to add to the message: Praying for those who are suffering doesn't extinguish their anguish; only yours. It's incredibly selfish. Stop praying. Do something.

myfather15
myfather15 05/22/13 - 10:08 pm
Explain something to me Giants;

How is calling the entity that the VAST majority of people dearly believe in; an "8 year old with a magnifying glass", how is that going to activate someones curiousity? That is not thoughtful debate, giving a reasonable argument for both sides, THAT IS NAME CALLING AND DEMEANING. Please explain this to me with some resemblance of rational logic, because I can't understand how this helps ANYTHING; besides spreading HATE.

myfather15
myfather15 05/22/13 - 10:22 pm
@karradur

First of all, Wolf Blitzer has been accused (not by me) of setting up that interview. After reviewing it; I can see the point. Maybe I was wrong, he might have actually found ONE athiest in the crowd, which is fine; no problem there. ALL the interviews I had personally witnessed, to that point in time, were people thanking God that their lives and family were spared. Ok, so I might have been wrong to use the word ALL, when I hadn't personally witnessed every interview.

BUT, Blitzer had previously interview numerous people who had thanked God and praised Him for sparing their lives. In those interviews he DID NOT mention God to them, they mentioned God to HIM. So, then miraculously; Blitzer finds this one athiest, interviews her and THEN tells her "I suppose you want to thank God." (another snide comment from a reporter) without her mentioning it to him first. You could absolutely tell he was being a smart aleck and what if this person HAD been Christian? Would that have been compassionate; being a smart aleck to people who've been through such a horrible tragedy? You still don't believe he KNEW beforehand that she was athiest? Com'on man!!!

Are you really this naive to believe this ONE interview wasn't set up this way? Now, I'm not saying she wasn't athiest, not at all. She probably was and I'm very glad she and her family are ok. BUT, to believe this interview wasn't pre-planned once they "found" her, is absolutely hilarious. Just more fair and balanced reporting by Wolf Blitzer.

myfather15
myfather15 05/22/13 - 10:26 pm
@Giants

Why do you say I'm trying to convince people? Are you not doing the same, trying to convince people there is no God? Sure sounds like it. BUT, I don't try to convince anyone; I witness for God and let the chips fall where they may. I openly talk about my belief without trying to FORCE anyone to believe. Sounds EXACTLY like what you do. I can NOT open people's eyes, only He can do that. But He doesn't toy with peoples free will. He will only open their eyes IF they call to Him and ask for guidance. If you want to live a life without Him, you're perfectly free to do so, without interference from Him.

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...