News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Sanford's statement

Disgraced politician's congressional win says much about politics and the electorate

Mark Sanford did not have permission to enter his ex-wife’s house.

But he returns to the U.S. House with the knowing assent of the electorate.

The disgraced former congressman and governor would not have been our first choice to replace South Carolina Rep. Tim Scott, who is now a U.S. senator. Even leaving aside Mr. Sanford’s personal peccadilloes – isn’t that what Democrats told us to do in the Clinton years? – his bizarre disappearance from the state while governor, and his having lied about being on the Appalachian Trail when he was really stealing away to his mistress in Argentina, was an infidelity against the people of South Carolina.

But the Republican’s relatively breezy win in Tuesday’s special election over Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch is a remarkable statement – probably several of them, actually.

It may say that notoriety – whether for good or ill – is a huge advantage. “I don’t care what they say as long as they talk about me,” is the old Hollywood axiom.

Indeed, Reader’s Digest this week announced the 100 “most trusted” people in America – and most of the top 10, including No. 1 Tom Hanks, are from Hollywood.

Sanford’s win no doubt also says that many voters have forgiven him – and that’s certainly their prerogative, though they are hereby waiving any right to complain about any Democratic sex scandals.

Colbert Busch’s loss also has to be a stinging personal rebuke. Even trading on her celebrity as the sister of comedian Stephen Colbert – whose name ranks just under Stephen King’s in a Google Search – Colbert Busch, who never quite defined her political persuasion, was, ultimately, a horrible candidate incapable of taking down a seriously wounded opponent.

This, too, is utterly jaw-dropping: Mark Sanford won despite the fact that the National Republican Congressional Committee withdrew its support of him last month after his ex-wife charged he’d trespassed in her home. Republicans were basically ceding the seat to Democrats, who made an all-out attempt to help Colbert Busch – at the highest levels of the national party.

Some say that may have only antagonized voters in the mostly conservative district.

Most of all, the election outcome likely is a powerful statement by South Carolina voters – that, with America’s freedoms, finances and standing in the world at severe risk, we just can’t afford to give Democrats any more power in Washington.

On that, they’d be absolutely right.

hwduncan
hwduncan 05/10/13 - 02:26 am
Where are the proof readers at A/C?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/10/13 - 04:44 am
Haha

"Even trading on her celebrity as the brother of comedian Stephen Colbert – whose name ranks just under Stephen King’s in a Google Search – Colbert Busch, who never quite defined her political persuasion, was, ultimately, a horrible candidate incapable of taking down a seriously wounded opponent."

Now that goof-up is funny considering we had the letter to the editor yesterday praising the Chronicle editorial writers for the way they cleaned up letters. It just shows we're all human when it comes to making a typo or grammatical mistake now and then.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/10/13 - 04:48 am
Want to Buy Ft. Sumter?

If anyone thinks the people of Charleston and coastal South Carolina would elect a liberal Democrat to Congress I've got an island in Chareston Harbor, Ft. Sumter, to sell you.

avidreader
avidreader 05/10/13 - 05:43 am
Throw The Bum In!

"that, with America’s freedoms, finances and standing in the world at severe risk, we just can’t afford to give Democrats any more power in Washington."

The voters in Sanford's district are not stupid; they're educated and worried. They would rather throw the bum in than risk another fiscally irresponsible democrat. And I agree!

myfather15
myfather15 05/10/13 - 05:56 am
Still, this story is simply

Still, this story is simply pathetic. Yes, once someone has repented AND changed their ways; we should forgive them. BUT, does forgiveness me we should vote them in, to represent us again? Absolutely NOT, in my opinion; at least not so soon. But I don't live in South Carolina.

I once worked a theft case at a church where the "pastor" had stole THOUSANDS of dollars from the church and different members personally. When this was discovered, many of the elders and deacons gathered their own personal money to reimburse; so he wouldn't be prosecuted.

I actually did ask them why they were doing this and they stated "We are supposed to forgive people, it's the Christian thing to do." I then asked if the he was going to be removed as the pastor and they said "No, everyone makes misakes; he is a good teacher so we're going to give him a second chance." (What's he teaching them, to steal?)

My question is; does a second chance mean they MUST be a leader/teacher of the Church? Can they not get a second chance by starting at the bottom of the barrell? Maybe this guy should occupy a pew for a long time and WORK his way up, building the trust back.

Can we NOT forgive someone but still hold them accountable for their actions? The voters of South Carolina really messed up, in my opinion. This guy DOES NOT deserve to be representing the people SO SOON after completely coning the people. But idiotic voters will ACTUALLY vote for people just because they are charismatic. Some will even vote for someone because they're attractive. As the voters of this Country become less about substance and more materialistic and shallow; this will happen MORE and MORE.

Mark Sanford SHOULD be scrubbing toilet bowls somewhere; not representing the people again.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/10/13 - 06:07 am
Myfather15, I understand and

Myfather15, I understand and would normally agree with your comments but let me ask you.......if SC didn't vote Mark Sanford in, who do you think they should have voted in? A Democrat? Which is the lesser of two evils....a man who has been a good politician who makes a lousy husband, or a democrat who most likely is a wonderful lady but will join her political group in bringing us down further?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 05/10/13 - 06:22 am
If it hadn't been a special

If it hadn't been a special election he wouldn't have won. But, it just shows you how republicans will come out and support their lack of actual values. It's pretty bad when the GOP didn't want to support him and that says a lot.

karradur
karradur 05/10/13 - 06:49 am
Wow.

The hypocrisy here is staggering.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/10/13 - 07:13 am
Hypocrisy

Hypocrisy and all that. Bill Clinton apologized for his Pee Wee Herman activity in the White House with Monica Lewinsky. The public apparently forgave him and he remained President. Same, same.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/10/13 - 07:55 am
It's about time Rep get with

It's about time Rep get with the program. How many Dem have been booted out of office, served time in jail, then get free and win office again. We've seen that locally tool. The Rep try to take this high ground-which come on-there is no high ground in politics anymore.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 05/10/13 - 08:32 am
They were ceding the seat in a

They were ceding the seat in a district that's been Republican since 1981 and went GOP in the Congressional race 65% to 28% in 2010 and 62% to 35% in 2012? It was a gimme. The old live boy or dead woman line applies. Sanford's woman was alive.

grouse
grouse 05/10/13 - 09:02 am
For all the gnashing of teeth

For all the gnashing of teeth about Clinton's morals, the ACES shows, once again, that their indignation is relative. Their conclusion, that the ends justifies the means, so to speak, reveals their actual lack of morality or ethics...

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 05/10/13 - 09:21 am
Error?

""Even trading on her celebrity as the brother of comedian Stephen Colbert " Maybe a transgender issue after all we are talking about a democrat?

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 05/10/13 - 09:37 am
@hwduncan et al

Thanks for letting me know. It is fixed now.

myfather15
myfather15 05/10/13 - 10:00 am
@ICL

His cheating on his wife is none of my business and doesn't overly concern me; besides the fact it doesn't show great character. BUT, many good people have made such mistakes. BUT, aren't the LEADERS of the Country supposed to show more honor and integrity than others? Isn't that supposed to be WHY they want to become leaders?

My biggest issue; unless my information is wrong; is that he was using TAX PAYER money in funding these trips to Argentina. Yes, he was lying to his wife about going hiking, but that's between those two. BUT, if he was using tax payer money for these trips; shouldn't he be prosecuted, instead of reelected?

Now, I could easily be wrong; because I haven't heard any news about this in a while. If something came out that he didn't use tax payers money, I apologize. But when this was first reported, I remember it being reported he was using State funds to pay for his trips.

Last but certainly not least; is HE the best the republicans could come up with in South Carolina? Sounds like the good ol boy system to me. Are they going to tell us there wasn't a single other republican that the "establishment" could have supported? They couldn't have thrown all their weight behind another candidate?

If we are going to stand up for right and stand against wrong; we must do it all the time. I'm talking about the PARTY, not just individuals.

myfather15
myfather15 05/10/13 - 10:17 am

Now, whether or not he actually did; I do not know. But, it appears he was forced to pay back $75,000.00. So, somewhere in there; he used tax payer money for personal reasons. Again; is THIS the type person people want representing them? I suppose South Carolians do, but it's sad. As a STRONG conservative; I will stand against ANY wrong doing; regardless of what party they are. Forgiveness? Sure; but that doesn't mean they should be trusted just 3 years later. I simply don't like seeing the LEADERS of the Country with such questionable ethics; it's the reason we are in this mess. WE DESERVE BETTER.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 05/10/13 - 10:23 am
I heard him speak once at a

I heard him speak once at a fundraiser in north Augusta. I keep telling you this guy has a screw loose. He is going to be a national embarrassment for South Carolina (again) once he gets to Washington.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/10/13 - 11:10 am
"We can't give Democrats any more power...

Will the AC EVER TAKE INTO ACCOUNT that Democrats are voters too !! Mark Sanford's win JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW REPULICANS are not as "HOLLIER THAN THOU" when it comes right down to it !!!!!! Mark Sanford DID NOT AND DOES NOT merit any more chances !!

Darby
Darby 05/10/13 - 11:51 am
While I agree with myfather15 that Sanford would

better serve the people by cleaning public toilets, political reality (for some of us) has to be considered.

Given the potential for the further loss of freedom and the destruction of the free enterprise system, it would be far worse to have someone such as Ms Colbert-Busch, a liberal Obama sycophant, than even a sleaze such as Sanford. (Excuse the run-on sentence, please.)

I sympathize with folks such as mf15. I really do, and share their concern.

However, I consider what the self-proclaimed "progressives" are doing to our country, our freedoms, our national security and the dignity of minorities as well as the future of our children, to be obscene and far more criminal and dangerous than anything Sanford has done.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but hopefully we can replace him with someone less repugnant.

That would be just about anyone who doesn't need to ask Nancy Pelosi how to vote.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/10/13 - 12:13 pm
"This guy DOES NOT deserve to

"This guy DOES NOT deserve to be representing the people SO SOON after completely coning the people."

Apparently that is not what the voters decided. They have known him for quite a while and he was apparently a better representative than he was a husband. He really wasn't a bad governor either. And he is certainly not the first man, of ANY political persuasion, that has had his nose flared wide open by a woman during a middle aged crisis. ANd he is certainly not the first politician, our current president is a prime example, of a politician using taxpayer money for transportation to PERSONAL benefit. Hopefully he has that out of his system now but, at any rate, the voters in his district preferred him above the other Republicans in the primary and, by a fairly wide margin over his liberal Democrat opponent. It's done, and he is elected. So like WE were told after Obama's re-election....GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON. My guess is that none of the commenters here have a dog in that fight that resides in the district which he is representing.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/10/13 - 12:16 pm
Thank you Darby.....you

Thank you Darby.....you stated it well.

myfather15
myfather15 05/10/13 - 12:19 pm
Don't get me wrong; I'm

Don't get me wrong; I'm certainly NOT advocating putting a liberal democrat in congress. I hope there isn't single person in existence who believes that. BUT, I will say it is a very sad day when the best republican a State can come up with is this man. I won't lie, I probably would have abstained from voting in this one. Yes, I realize my fellow conservatives will get onto my about that; but my conscious just wouldn't let me vote for this slime bag.

myfather15
myfather15 05/10/13 - 12:34 pm
Let me explain something; I

Let me explain something; I simply can NOT stand making excuses for a politicians wrongful behavior, NO MATTER their party affiliation. I seriously can't stand this "Well, they've done it too; so whats wrong with us doing it?" Seriously? Is this type attitude EVER going to change anything in Washington? I say if you're caught using tax payer money for ANY personal reason and it's proven; YOU ARE DOING TIME IN PRISON; and I couldn't care less which letter (D) or (R), you have by your name. Maybe THAT would get some serious change in politics. BUT, the problem is THEY are the ones have to change it and POLITICIANS will never vote to make things tougher on themselves.

Also, do we Conservative republicans not claim to sit on a higher moral basis? If so, then how can we continue to claim so; when we are making excuses for our leaders, simply because they are republican? Thats one thing you will NOT hear me do is make an excuse for someone, simply to tow the party line. To heck with the party!! Lets do what's right and let the chips fall where they may!! If we lose an election, SO WHAT? It isn't the end of the world, many have been lost. Do you not ultimately trust in God?

If we are going to stand for good, then STAND. But, in order to be fair; you MUST stand against bad behavior without BIAS. Sanford can go fly a kite for all I care; I'm so sick of political bias on both sides in makes me want to throw up!! Trust me, before putting the "Same ol, Same ol" back in office; maybe it's better to go with a new face, no matter the party affiliation.

myfather15
myfather15 05/10/13 - 12:52 pm
"Hopefully he has that out of

"Hopefully he has that out of his system now but, at any rate, the voters in his district preferred him above the other Republicans in the primary and, by a fairly wide margin over his liberal Democrat opponent."

Thats the EXACT problem. WE THE PEOPLE keep voting in the same corrupt people, over and over. As I stated earlier; as voters become more and more shallow and materialistic and less about substance; we will continue to go down the drain.

People are so stupid is scary. I deal with people on the street level daily. Do you realize how many people in this world truly believe their healthcare will be completely free after Obamacare is fully implemented? I was talking to a guy the other day who said he was trying to put off surgery (back) until 2015 when Obamacare is implemented because then he won't have to pay for it. I've talked to people who think they are going to get completely free healthcare, including dental; as soon as Obamacare is implemented.

You would absolutely be amazed how many people, in this area alone; believe this way. AND these people are voting!! So, it's no wonder we are in this mess. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. By this definition; America's General public is litterally insane because we keep voting in the same people over and over and expecting different results.

KSL
KSL 05/10/13 - 02:18 pm
Myfather, it wasn't a state

Myfather, it wasn't a state that put him forth. It was a district.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/10/13 - 04:51 pm
Mark Sanford may be destined

Mark Sanford may be destined to become South Carolina's Ted Kennedy....

KSL
KSL 05/10/13 - 07:29 pm
LOL

Surely you are not implying he is going to drive someone off a bridge or that he will change his mind several times on a position, obviously due to who was in the WH.

I remind you that Teddy was against the Viet Nam War, then for it, then against it. I happened to catch him speaking to my college during his for it stage.

Darby
Darby 05/10/13 - 10:04 pm
"my conscious just wouldn't let me vote for

this slime bag."

And that's your choice to make. I won't fault you for it, however, your liberal friends will NEVER take the same high road.

That's exactly why they keep beating Republicans in so many national elections.

Morality and ethics, to them, are nice but unnecessary and often get in the way of controlling people and acquiring and keeping political power.

When I have a hobson's choice as the people of District 1 had this time, I protest the tainted and failed Republican all the way through the process. Then, if he gets the nomination, I do just what the Democrats do, hold my nose and vote for him. If he wins, then I feel ashamed, but at the same time vindicated that I helped slow the progress of Socialism.

Unless he is a convicted or indicted criminal. Fortunately, I've never had to do that. On the other hand, Democrats have voted for and elected many, many indicted and/or convicted criminals in my lifetime.

Note: I was raised and spent most of my young life as a strict "Yellow Dog Democrat". My epiphany came late but hit me like a brick in the face.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 05/11/13 - 07:56 am
Hardly Know Where to Begin

Sad commentary on the fact that if Sanford tried to get a job at SRS his behavior would OFFICIALLY be classified as erratic and untrustworthy, and he'd never get a clearance of any kind, BUT now he's going to DC to lord it over things like national security, etc.

"Yellow Dog Democrat" is old hat and needs to be changed to "Yellow Dog Republican" as all those crooks and bigots got kicked out of the Democratic Party over the years and now infest the GOP, ala ole Strom. And, isn't it quaint that direct proof of that mere change in party with no change in mentality exists in this very thread...

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/12/13 - 12:48 pm
KSL... My thoughts were more

KSL... My thoughts were more along the line of he is a known quantity and possibly the lesser of the evils (possibly the same way the people of Mass. thought of Teddy.)

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.