The final touch

Elevated walkway would protect people center was meant to serve

It’s doubtful the local woman who was rather seriously injured recently trying to cross the street near the new Augusta Convention Center would’ve used the planned elevated walkway from the parking garage.

But her accident is a cautionary tale for the city.

We will only have increasing numbers of pedestrians crossing Reynolds Street to attend events at the center. Many will be from out of town. It’s incumbent on us to protect them.

Especially from a known hazard.

Not to mention the fact that convention and event-goers will want to be protected from the weather. It’s expected, standard operating procedure where possible, and absolutely the right thing to do.

The Augusta Commission even agreed to it last August. But the elected body has yet to approve the funds for it, about $900,000. The commission last voted on it in January, when members deadlocked 4-4 on a motion to deny the funding.

“There does seem to be a continuing interest among some commissioners,” city Administrator Fred Russell told us Friday.

We would think the interest would be much stronger than it appears.

Why we would spend so much time, money and controversy on the convention center and then fail to put the last touch on it is beyond us.

Nor does this have anything to do with the convention center itself; we realize that controversy involves principals of this newspaper, and we’ve kept out of it. The proposed and agreed-to enclosed, elevated walkway is for the benefit of the city’s guests.

And for their protection.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/29/13 - 04:10 am
Buy Your Employees Umbrellas

The woman who was injured was not using the crosswalks that are present. But this whole idea that so many people will be crossing the street there that the elevated walkway is needed is ludicrous. The fact is the building sits empty most of the time. It's been weeks since the last event. What the elevated walkway would do is allow those who work down there to stay out of the weather. Never in the history of Augusta has so much public money been diverted to private hands...the Marriott...and it continues.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/29/13 - 05:14 am
Just how many visitors are

Just how many visitors are expected who don't understand "walk" or "don't walk?"

LuvMyTown
2009
LuvMyTown 04/29/13 - 06:37 am
Finish the job

Complete the project. Build the walkway.
Let's do all we can to keep our visitors safe.

karradur
karradur 04/29/13 - 07:50 am
I've been to the Charlotte Convention Center many times.

It's a beautiful facility right in the middle of downtown that does not have an elevated walkway. I guess it's because people in Charlotte aren't dumb enough to run out full speed in the middle of traffic without paying attention.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/29/13 - 08:54 am
Three of the previous comments are GREAT !

Augusta and Richmond County are hemoraging tax payer dollars on the boon-doogles of this convention center and parking garage !! The main reason for not going forward with (( THIS MUCH, MUCH OVER-PRICED WALK-WAY )) is so the Richmond County tax payers will see that at least some body KNOWS HOW TO SAY, "ENOUGH"!!!!!!!!!

Michael Ryan
Michael Ryan 04/29/13 - 09:06 am
From the Charlotte Convention

From the Charlotte Convention Center website:

The NASCAR Hall of Fame parking deck is open and conveniently located on Brevard Street, adjacent to the Charlotte Convention Center. The NASCAR Hall of Fame parking deck is also connected to the Charlotte Convention Center via a convenient over-street walkway.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/29/13 - 10:06 am
Great. Let's build something

Great. Let's build something people want to go to from the convention center. Tatoo museum??

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/29/13 - 10:52 am
Palmetto1008

Are you equating the NASCAR Hall of Fame to a Tatoo Museum ? YOU WOULDN'T REALLY DO THAT WOULD YOU ??!!

karradur
karradur 04/29/13 - 11:44 am
@MichaelRyan

I admit, I never noticed the elevated walkway before.

I guess I was too busy safely crossing the street at designated intersections where the "walk" signal is accompanied by a shrill, slightly dystopian, but nonetheless helpful mechanical chirping sound.

Instead of playing Frogger for funsies.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 04/29/13 - 11:51 am
I'm thinking moving sidewalks

I'm thinking moving sidewalks with those anit-terriosm bollards that pop up out of the ground to deflect oncoming traffic...yeah...that's the ticket

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/29/13 - 12:08 pm
Jaywalking Story

I agree with the first sentence of this editorial, but not with the rest.

The woman who got hurt while jaywalking could not have been twenty or thirty feet from the 9th Street crosswalk, judging by Sean Moore's photograph accompanying the jaywalking story.

Pedestrian Hurt

The previous story says that the police had not cited her as of the time the story went to press. But the Chronicle owes it to its readers to follow up and publish police charges, or to have the police go on record for publication why they decided not to cite the pedestrian for breaking traffic codes.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/29/13 - 12:17 pm
Pay

Michael Ryan posted:

I wonder whether Mecklenburg County taxpayers paid for the NASCAR Hall of Fame pedestrian over-the-street walkway.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/29/13 - 12:24 pm
How about this suggestion

The "CITY" builds the walk way and leases it to the Marriott & Convention Center over a 20 years period, at an amount to recover the building costs and maintenance at no interest?

20 years at a realistic price of $1.75M would be only $75k a year.
Chump change for a already overbuilt, over price cup of TEA, tied down floating parking deck paid for by the TAXPAYERS.

Given estimates of the numbers that would use the tied down
floating parking deck. IF THE NUMBERS USED TO SELL THE TAXPAYERS WERE HONEST?The operator would still make money.

BTW: what took so long for the this fluff piece to show up?

KSL
KSL 04/29/13 - 02:28 pm
People park in the median and

People park in the median and have to jaywalk all of the time in Aiken. Are our homegrown people and visitors more intelligent?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/29/13 - 05:49 pm
As an aside

... I also wonder about the jaywalker not showing up as being charged. I cannot count the number of times some fool has darted between two parked vehicles in front of me. I use the word fool advisedly; the notion of trying a contest between my steel Avalanche and a human body which consists mainly of squishy ropey things that bleed could only be conceived by someone totally lacking intellect or self preservation instincts.

I have not hit anyone, more by good fortune than their intelligence allows, but KNOW if I had how emotionally damaging that would be, even if it wasn't my fault. I'm all for skimming the gene pool, but let someone else do it.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/29/13 - 06:01 pm
Another good thing about LEASING it to Mr. Morris

is he will want the total price as low as he can get it SAFELY.

That means the all too common accident project overruns will be kept to a minimum. We might even see a project delivered on schedule and on projected budget if handled this way.

KSL
KSL 04/29/13 - 07:32 pm
d

Are people more cogent in Aiken? I have never had that experience.

KSL
KSL 04/29/13 - 07:35 pm
Agree

About the gene pool, but that does not seem to be an option.

KSL
KSL 04/29/13 - 07:40 pm
I walk across Laurens St.all

I walk across Laurens St.all the time. But I am not about jwalking across Whiskey Rd. You do need a modicum of sense.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/29/13 - 08:37 pm
Marriott

Who are the people who park in the parking deck day after day while the convention center is cold and dark? I was down there last Thursday at lunchtime and I took a walk through the parking deck. There were seven or eight cars on the ground floor which is reserved parking.

Up on the upper floors there were eighteen or twenty cars parked. I wonder who they belonged to. The most interesting thing to me was the exit port. The sign said “PARKING ATTENDANT NOT ON DUTY” If you had a parking pass or if you had a credit or debit card, you could check out of the parking deck. But if you checked in, got your ticket, and didn't have credit card or debit card, you were out of luck. You checked in, but you couldn't check out. The gate was down.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/29/13 - 08:45 pm
Not On Duty

I wonder what the city's agreement between Richmond County and Augusta Riverfront LLC is regarding no parking attendant being on duty during normal business hours. Does Augusta Riverfront LLC charge actual manhours, or is there a constant charge for the parking deck (whether there is an attendant on duty or not)?

Only Many Arrows knows - - - - - and he has vanished from this web site.

Darby
Darby 04/29/13 - 10:22 pm
"Just how many visitors are expected

who don't understand "walk" or "don't walk?"."

Offhand, I'd say it was the exact same number as those who think that government has a solution for every problem mankind can envision.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/29/13 - 10:33 pm
I'm from the government . . .

. . . and I'm here to help.