Discipline vs. abuse

The line isn't always clear -- except when it's crossed.

We certainly would understand a teacher getting fed up. As if by evolution, nature seems to endow succeeding generations of kids with new and more effective ways of getting under one’s skin.

Meanwhile, parents and society in general have grown far less supportive of beleaguered teachers over the years – and far too reflexively supportive of little Johnny and his antics. These days, he’s never a remorseless brat; no, he’s a victim of some disability that causes him to involuntarily wreak havoc and which requires medication and the eternal forbearance of everyone around him.

Most of us are old enough, too, to remember when real punishment was meted out at school – and probably was duplicated at home.

But times have changed, in this case for the better: We no longer accept physical or mental punishment in institutions of learning, and for good reason: Too many folks don’t know where discipline ends and abuse begins.

That’s true even in the rough-and-tumble world of men’s college athletics. Rutgers University last week fired basketball coach Mike Rice after video surfaced of him berating his players with anti-homosexual slurs, shoving and kicking them and throwing basketballs at them with great force.

Nor does abuse have to be physical.

In Augusta, a longtime Copeland Elementary School pre-kindergarten teacher was removed from the classroom last month, and is being allowed to retire in May, for putting two children in a dark closet and bathroom as disciplinary measures.

Despite our sympathy for what teachers endure, we have none in this case.

A teacher of 29 years, such as the one in this case, should know better. There are plenty of protocols on handling unruly kids, measures that don’t involve potential trauma.

Indeed, at least one of the children is said to have suffered nightmares, a fear of the dark and other repercussions.

That’s simply not necessary in order to make a point.

As for the notion that many of us encountered worse punishments and turned out fine – well, that’s not necessarily the case. Most folks carry around more baggage than they realize from less-than-stellar rearing methods. Let’s hope society is getting more cultivated as the years go by.

In addition, the teacher’s actions show a complete lack of sophistication – for an adult to resort to verbal or emotional torment. We’re supposed to be smarter than the children we supervise; there are tools in an adult’s toolbox that eliminate the need for such tactics.

This newspaper will always seek first to support teachers in their efforts to keep order in the classroom. But they – and their methods – must be worthy of that support.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/10/13 - 06:07 am
There you go again, only half

There you go again, only half listening. I NEVER said "God was Christian". I said God THAT Christians worship. (that doesn't mean that God is Christian, only God that the Christians worship)

Christians believe in God, the Trinity, which is God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit.

Muslims do not believe in the Trinity,that Jesus Christ was the Son of God or that He died for our sins on a cross.......so THEY DO NOT serve the same God. Hindus supreme god is Brahma and is considered unknowable. Well my God Jehovah is very personal and is NOT the same as the Hindu god.

Twisting words to me is the same as lying. It is an attempt to deceive in my opinion. I NEVER said that it was possible to have faith without a "bible" so your claim of bigotry is just pompous words.

You stated "Judaism, Christianity and Islam all come from the same root beginning!"

They may have all come from the same root but they do not worship the same God and do not produce the same fruit.

......................................................................

As for your claim "I never said public education was the only institution that brings people together"

Excuse me? But did you not read what you wrote earlier....I believe at 8:18pm you stated "there is no other institution that brings together so many unique human beings"

I most certainly think saying "there is no other institution" and saying "public education was the only institution that brings" IS SAYING IT IS THE ONLY.

dahreese
dahreese 04/10/13 - 02:59 pm
In which book, chapter and

In which book, chapter and verse does YOUR bible use the word "trinity?"

How is it that Judaism, Christianity and Islam come from the same root, Abraham, but do not worship the same god?

If your god is not "Christian", then exactly what "faith" is the god that you hold in such high esteem?

Is it possible to have a faith without a bible...?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/10/13 - 04:33 pm
How do we not worship the

How do we not worship the same God? You tell me dahreese. How can all mankind be created by God but only a few serve him. Mankind thinks we're all that and more, but in reality we are nothing.

You've made this comment several times and I assume to be derogatory but you are quit right. I hold my Savior in the highest esteem. He is Almighty Jehovah, nothing can compare to Him. His Grace and Mercy is unmatched and my faith in Him is unwavering.

Why does God have to be of any "faith", He is God and faith is not needed. Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Since God see and knows all, what is the need for him to have "Faith".

As for the word "trinity"....where did I say it was in the Bible? It is a reference to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. That is in the Bible by the way. I never said "the word" trinity was in the Bible.

Nice try at twisting comments again and implying someone said something they didn't say. You should be proud, you've become a master at this.

"I" didn't say Judaism, Christianity, and Islam come from the same root....YOU DID. Since it appears you didn't take the time to actually read what I wrote, I said "they may have come from the same root (repeating what you said, but not necessarily agreeing with you) "BUT" (this implies a different set of circumstances) they do not worship the same God or produce the same fruit.

You asked is it possible to have faith without a bible? Let me answer it this way.....Did Adam have a bible, Did Noah have a Bible, Did Mary have a Bible, Did Joseph have a bible?

dahreese
dahreese 04/10/13 - 09:05 pm
I once heard a guy say, "They

I once heard a guy say, "They say we worship the same god [as Muslims], but that's not right. Our god is named "Jehovah" and their's is named "Allah."

Is that a statement you would agree with?

And what do you mean when you say, "They don't produce the same fruit?"

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/10/13 - 09:26 pm
Why all the nonsense

Why all the nonsense questions dahreese? It's evident you aren't searching for knowledge so lets quit playing this game.

If you haven't the slightest idea what I mean by producing the same fruit, then this conversation is really worthless.

What difference does it make if I agree or disagree with your statement? Evidently you don't believe in Jehovah or Allah so it's a mute point.

You post a question, I answer it. You can't dispute the answer so you throw something new out or twist something I say. Then when I correct you, you move on to something else. It's so tiring.

dahreese
dahreese 04/10/13 - 09:46 pm
Are Jehovah and Allah one and

Are Jehovah and Allah one and the same as far as you are concerned?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/11/13 - 08:58 am
Let’s compare: Jehovah God vs

Let’s compare: Jehovah God vs Allah

Jehovah God loves everyone (John 3:16). He can not lie (Titus 1:2). He is Triune (Trinity) (John 6:27, Col. 2:9, and Acts 5:3-9). God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit is in the Trinity (Matt. 28:19)

Allah of Islam is tempermental (Surah 32:13). Allah deceives (Surah 8:30). The Trinity is considered blasphemy (Surah 5:73) and those in the Trinity are Father, Mary, and Jesus (Surah 5:116)

If that isn’t enough of a difference, consider just the difference in whom Jesus is:

In Christianity Jesus is Yeshua. Jesus is Lord and not an apostle (John 14:6), and Jesus was crucified (1 Corinthinas 2:2)

In Islam Jesus is called Isa. They believe Jesus was just an apostle (Surah 4:171) and they do not believe he was crucified (Surah 4:157).

If that isn’t enough, how about concerning Salvation:

Christianity believe Jesus is the only way (Phil 2:10-11), Islam believes Jesus was just a man who worshipped Allah (Surah 19:30)

Christianity believes we are saved by God’s Grace alone, not by our works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Islam believes good works cancels bad deeds (sin) (Surah 11:114)

Christianity believes God offers salavation and it is by our own freewill if you accept or deny (Revelations 3:20) Islam forces worship (Surah 2:193 and Surah 2:29)

So you tell me dahreese…….is the God Jehovah the same as Allah….and which one would you choose to serve?

dahreese
dahreese 04/11/13 - 06:35 pm
I will not try to fully

I will not try to fully answer all of your comments; suffice to say, however, you must have spent a lot of time putting it together. Or, is your post solely your creation(?).

I also dialogue with a Jewish person who is also "picking and choosing" from the Torah to support his Jewish beliefs, in particular the Jewish claim to Palestine (never mind to him that his own sources shoot him down - he is bound and determined to be a good Jew, as you are bound and determined to be a good Christian - and when they are pointed out to him, he simply ignores or bypasses them, the same as you do with the Bible), and he insists that Jews are God's "chosen people."

You have carefully chosen comments to support your "Christian" position/belief; as you also have chosen portions of verses of the Quran for the same purpose.

The Quran seems to have a depth and latitude that you've over looked; intentionally or not.

Look at 2:47: and Islam even recognizes the Jewish claim (of some Jews) that they are "special" just as it recognizes some claims of Christianity.

Yes, Christianity claims, and you, Jesus is the only way; but is it?

What gives Christianity, or Judaism, or Islam exclusivity?

A Bible, the Torah, a Quran?

"Allah is but one god, Exalted is he above having a son" makes more sense than the mythology of the Christmas and Easter stories and Jewish claims of "chosen."

As to the trinity; that idea did not arise until the "Christian" battle over the Nicene Creed, in the FOURTH century.

One can be a Christian, Muslim, Jew, or one cannot be a "bible believing" "Quran" or Torah believer and still be a spiritual being.

That's what I chose, and choose, after having left the "christian" church.

I am more free now than I have ever been and I could not, and would not go back to claiming those beliefs even if I could.

One other thing; Do you know why people live on the edge of heaven and hell?

Because that's where the action is - real living.

Because without the running of the risk of hell there wouldn't be anything worth "saving."

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/11/13 - 06:50 pm
dahreese, I fail to see the

dahreese, I fail to see the point of your little tirade. You asked a simple question....I provided an answer, and like ALWAYS you go on a wild goose chase on another topic. Just for clarity, Jews are God's chosen people....so your Jewish friend has told you truth.

There is no need to answer any comment I made earlier because they are just statements on what Christianity thinks and what Islam thinks. I didn't pick and choose anything other than the differences I have stated are between Jehovah and Allah. Isn't that what you asked for? You can believe it, deny it, or don't give a rip......I couldn't care less.

As for the Trinity....it existed when Christ came to earth as a man, died on a cross, and was resurrection. When He ascended into heaven, He gave us the Holy Spirit...so you can say it didn't arise until the 4th century but like so many other things, YOU ARE WRONG.

Believe what you want and you can think you are as free as you want to be.......try not to be too disappointed on judgment day.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/11/13 - 07:36 pm
Point two....there has never

Point two....there has never been anything that you have stated on here concerning Christianity, God Jehovah, or the Bible that has been of any truth that as you say "and when they are pointed out to him, he simply ignores or bypasses them, the same as you do with the Bible)" Shouldn't be surprised at this statement, you are the master at twisting lies.

Point Three: I do believe you have misquoted.

you stated "2:62 "Those who believe in the Quran and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures) and the Christians and the Sabians any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear nor shall they grieve."

Actually in 2:62, it does not say God but it says Allah....so in otherwords it is not "have a depth and latitude ". It is the belief in Allah that causes no fear to the Christians, Jews, and Sabains but if it's not Allah, whoa to them I'd say.

Point Four: you stated "Regarding Ephesians 2;8-9, there is Matthew 7:15-16, By their works ye shall know them" and that DOES NOT EXCLUDE people who do not claim to be "Christians" or recognize Jesus as someone special from god."

If you had any knowledge of the scriptures you would know that in Matthew, it is referencing those who are false prophets. Those who pretend to be followers but are there to lead His children astray. You can know who they are by their lack of the fruit of the spirit.

Ephesians states ' 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast" It clearly states that your salvation is not based on good works.....you just used scripture to prove your statement is false.

dahreese, you might be a good "spiritual" person and treat others well and try and live right but in the end......none of that matters according to God. If it makes you happy (now) great......but when the time comes that it is not enough for eternity...God is waiting with open arms (whether you want to or not).

dahreese
dahreese 04/11/13 - 07:57 pm
Guilt and fear.Fear and

Guilt and fear.

Fear and guilt.

If I don't feel god breathing down my neck I'm lost.

If I have to live in the fear of hell, I'm not free to be free.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am more free now than I have ever been and I can not and would not go back to claiming those beliefs even if I could.

People live on the edge of hell because that's where the action is - real "free" living.

Without running the risk of hell what is there worth dying for to "save?"

People live on the edge of hell because that's where the action is - "real", "free" living."

I would rather be in my shoes than yours.
---------------------------------------------------
Without running the risk of hell what is there worth dying for to "save?"

Think about it.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/11/13 - 08:21 pm
Repeat it as much and in

Repeat it as much and in whichever order you like dahreese. I'm happy in my shoes and I have thought about it.......I don't fear hell and you aren't living, you're only existing.

Good Evening and for me, this discussion is over. Enjoy your free "life", I sure am enjoying mine.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/11/13 - 08:33 pm
One last thing: So don’t be

One last thing:

So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matt 10:31 NIV

Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Luke 12:32 NIV

I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid. John 14:27 NLT

Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love. 1 John 4:18 NLT

I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4 NLT

2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Fear is not of the Lord.

dahreese
dahreese 04/12/13 - 09:21 am
"Fear is not of the

"Fear is not of the Lord."

Then who/what is the fear of?

You're the one living in fear.