Discipline vs. abuse

The line isn't always clear -- except when it's crossed.

We certainly would understand a teacher getting fed up. As if by evolution, nature seems to endow succeeding generations of kids with new and more effective ways of getting under one’s skin.

Meanwhile, parents and society in general have grown far less supportive of beleaguered teachers over the years – and far too reflexively supportive of little Johnny and his antics. These days, he’s never a remorseless brat; no, he’s a victim of some disability that causes him to involuntarily wreak havoc and which requires medication and the eternal forbearance of everyone around him.

Most of us are old enough, too, to remember when real punishment was meted out at school – and probably was duplicated at home.

But times have changed, in this case for the better: We no longer accept physical or mental punishment in institutions of learning, and for good reason: Too many folks don’t know where discipline ends and abuse begins.

That’s true even in the rough-and-tumble world of men’s college athletics. Rutgers University last week fired basketball coach Mike Rice after video surfaced of him berating his players with anti-homosexual slurs, shoving and kicking them and throwing basketballs at them with great force.

Nor does abuse have to be physical.

In Augusta, a longtime Copeland Elementary School pre-kindergarten teacher was removed from the classroom last month, and is being allowed to retire in May, for putting two children in a dark closet and bathroom as disciplinary measures.

Despite our sympathy for what teachers endure, we have none in this case.

A teacher of 29 years, such as the one in this case, should know better. There are plenty of protocols on handling unruly kids, measures that don’t involve potential trauma.

Indeed, at least one of the children is said to have suffered nightmares, a fear of the dark and other repercussions.

That’s simply not necessary in order to make a point.

As for the notion that many of us encountered worse punishments and turned out fine – well, that’s not necessarily the case. Most folks carry around more baggage than they realize from less-than-stellar rearing methods. Let’s hope society is getting more cultivated as the years go by.

In addition, the teacher’s actions show a complete lack of sophistication – for an adult to resort to verbal or emotional torment. We’re supposed to be smarter than the children we supervise; there are tools in an adult’s toolbox that eliminate the need for such tactics.

This newspaper will always seek first to support teachers in their efforts to keep order in the classroom. But they – and their methods – must be worthy of that support.

dahreese
dahreese 04/08/13 - 03:35 pm
"And anyone is so certain

"And anyone is so certain that public education, even with its faults, is not the backbone of this country, then it should be too easy for the really deluded to say what is....?"

The above "sentence" is a good example of the failure of public education."

That sentence says exactly what it is intended to say, the way it is intended to say it; it should be "too easy" for a critic like yourself.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/08/13 - 03:47 pm
Ok...perhaps my public

Ok...perhaps my public education failed me, because I have no idea what that "sentence" is trying to say. Read it out loud to yourself and tell me how it makes sense. It seems to me that you have a [then] but don't have an [if]. Now back on the other topic.

"Public education is the backbone of this country whether you can admit it or not. "

Is there any chance you ever intend to back that up with facts, and not just you saying that it's true whether we believe it or not.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/08/13 - 03:48 pm
If so

We need a chiropractor..

dahreese
dahreese 04/08/13 - 03:55 pm
The "fact" that public

But if you want to dispute that, then should it not be supposed that you can say what is?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/08/13 - 04:37 pm
It's pretty obvious that kids

It's pretty obvious that kids are made to stay in high school when they would be better off working and learning a trade. Would a private school make such unruly kids stay in school? Where does the Constitution say the people have to be taxed to pay for public schools?

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 04/08/13 - 04:53 pm
I can't figure

I can't figure out why a comment about how parents gave teachers permission to paddle the students in the 70's needed to be flagged for review. Back then children were less disruptive and the teacher was able to spend more time on the lesson instead of chastising the child.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 04/08/13 - 05:00 pm
I'm thinking someone missed a

I'm thinking someone missed a critical episode of "Grammar Rock" back in the day....

ymnbde
ymnbde 04/08/13 - 05:22 pm
rich people send their kids to private schools in droves!

Poor people should get vouchers to use at their local public school, or at a private school that does a better job of educating.
Middle class people should get vouchers to use at their local public school, or at a private school that does a better job of educating.
Rich people should get vouchers to use at their local public school, or at a private school that does a better job of educating.
And the power should be taken from the liberal big government mercenaries and their war on children.

dahreese
dahreese 04/08/13 - 05:37 pm
The "fact" that public

Give us justthefacts.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/08/13 - 06:49 pm
I don't know about back bone.

I don't know about back bone. It basically teaches the basics of how to read, write to some degree, and basic trig and algebra with luck. History has historically been taught as western-US biased propaganda for indoctrination. Then you go to college and get a real education. LOL. In any case you definitely see public schools using the education venue for political or ideological purposes-be it anti-evolution, or socialism.

ymnbde
ymnbde 04/08/13 - 06:56 pm
dahreese, you have a mute fact

it isn't speaking. It is silent. It is audibly inert.
Public education isn't the backbone of our country.
Public education is a waste of time for most people.
They don't learn anything. They must learn on a job after they become adults, or during remedial classes in college, or technical school.
People who can escape public schools spend their money and escape public schools.
"... can say what it is?" What is the "what" in that sentence?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/08/13 - 07:33 pm
I'm still waiting for someone

I'm still waiting for someone to explain what the heck this comment means (in plain English please)

"But if you want to dispute that, then should it not be supposed that someone above who disagrees can say what is?"

I get "if you want to dispute that" but get lost when the poster says "then should it no be supposed that"

Seems like a much simpler way to state what you are trying to say without trying to impress (if that was your point) cause it sure isn't working.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/08/13 - 07:35 pm
"The "fact" that public

"The "fact" that public education is the backbone of this country speaks for itself."

Where is the fact that public education is the backbone, and if the fact is not presented then how can it speak for itself. A fact can not prove itself in itself....something else needs to prove it (like stats, for a clue).

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 04/08/13 - 07:51 pm
If I stomp my foot and say it

If I stomp my foot and say it over and over, it becomes indisputable....

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/08/13 - 07:58 pm
If public education is our

If public education is our countries back bone, then maybe that explains why were are in such terrible shape.

"The United States may be a superpower but in education we lag behind. In a recent comparison of academic performance in 57 countries, students in Finland came out on top overall......Students in the United States performed near the middle of the pack. On average 16 other industrialized countries scored above the United States in science, and 23 scored above us in math. The reading scores for the United States had to be tossed due to a printing error."

I don't know about anyone else but I want my back bone a little better than middle of the pack.

dahreese
dahreese 04/08/13 - 08:07 pm
"A fact cannot prove itself

"A fact cannot prove itself in itself....something else needs to prove it (like stats, for a clue)."

You don't seem to have any problem using the bible to prove itself....

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/08/13 - 08:14 pm
dichotomy's 10:29am post is

dichotomy's 10:29am post is so right. Our society is getting WORSE because there is NO consequence for anything anymore. Rewards or excuses for bad behavior is the norm. No sense of responsibility. The only time you hear anyone complaining about responsibility is when it comes to money, taxes, etc. Well this is all part of social responsibility as well.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/09/13 - 07:02 am
"That said, if public

"That said, if public education is not the backbone of this country, I have invited those above who differ with me (and you are invited if you like) to tell me what is?"

Nice diversion. Refuse to answer the question by posing a different question. We are on to liberal tactics.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one why can't make heads or tails out of the broken grammar that has been used by someone who is singing praises to public education.

dahreese
dahreese 04/09/13 - 09:29 am
We're not on to liberal

We're not on to liberal tactics.

We're on to someone who disputes that public education is the backbone of this country, but then, can't say what is.

Just one of your usual 'tactics' that may work on some folks, but ain't workin' here.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/09/13 - 09:37 am
Thank you Angela!!!

Thank you Angela!!!

dahreese, since you wish to divert the subject and make a false statement "You don't seem to have any problem using the bible to prove itself...." I don't use the bible to prove the bible is truth.

If you had taken the time to read the link I previously posted to you that explained how the bible can be authenticated, you would have garnered information used to prove the bible (not the book itself).

As for "Going back to our religious discussion what is it I'm suppose to be searching for?"

You will noticed I ignored your question. I believe I stated "if you were serious in your search" which evidently you are not, since you don't even know what your seem to be searching for, there is no need for further discussion but it does give me pleasure to know you have given it some thought. If you had been searching, you would know what I was referring to.

As for the backbone of this country.....it's possible public education at one time may have been a part, but in my opinion is not longer. Our education system is in such dire need of repair and this country's spine is so bent that if we do not get back to what onces made this a great nation, we will remained stooped forever. We have denounced God, lost our Family values, traded Self Dignity for Self Gratification, Honor and Truth are things of the past.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/09/13 - 09:53 am
dahreese, you enjoy

dahreese, you enjoy facts....here's one for you that proves how you twist truth.

your statement refering to previous conversation "You don't seem to have any problem using the bible to prove itself...."

My original comment that started the previous conversation, posted on 3/31/13

"dahreese, since as far as I can tell, I believe I have been the only one that has quoted a scripture in my comments, so I am assuming your 10:51pm comment was directed to me....if not, my apologies.

With that being said, please tell me what I was trying to prove by that scripture because I fail to understand your comment.

My comment wasn't made as proof to anything other than a statement about what the Lord's Word says about false prophets."

This is the second time I have stated I was not trying to prove the bible by using the bible itself. Keep repeating it and I guess you can convince yourself of anything.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/09/13 - 10:00 am
Since a nation is not a

Since a nation is not a vertebrate animal, there is no backbone. Now your turn. Back up what you said with facts....not just you repeating something yet again and insisting that it's true. Since YOUR question was answered twice, you have no excuse not to answer.

Now we await the NEXT diversionary tactic.

dahreese
dahreese 04/09/13 - 10:02 am
What gives you the idea I'm

What gives you the idea I'm searching or that I need to search?

I do not disagree that public education is not what we wish it was in terms of academics. It never has been....

Even so, even now, it's still the backbone of this country.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/09/13 - 10:17 am
Wow...he/she said it yet

Wow...he/she said it yet again.....it must be true.....no facts necessary.

"If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth."

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/09/13 - 10:24 am
President Obama is a llama.

President Obama is a llama.

President Obama is a llama.

President Obama is a llama.

President Obama is a llama.

President Obama is a llama.

There....did I say it enough times to make it true, or should I maybe provide some sort of evidence that my statement is a fact? Nah....simply insisting it's a fact is good enough.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/09/13 - 12:31 pm
Let me help you out dahreese,

Let me help you out dahreese, since you are having such an issue with this. You stated " it's still the backbone of this country."....BECAUSE (now you fill in the blank as to why you feel this statement is true).

As for your statement "Religiously, I left where you are a long time ago and I couldn't go back to that even if I wanted to. Nor do I want to." I don't know where you think I'm at now that you wouldn't want to go back to, but by all means, you are free to choose where you want to be at. I'm not any where religiously, spiritually maybe, but religion has nothing to do with my faith in God. Religion is a term that describes a certain doctrine of faith, but faith itself is a state of being in relationship with God.

dahreese
dahreese 04/09/13 - 08:18 pm
"Religion is a term that

"Religion is a term that describes a certain doctrine of faith, but faith itself is a state of being in relationship with God."

You are saying;

It is possible then to have a faith without a religion?

A "formal" religion is not necessary?
-----------------------------------------------------------
On the education topic, public education is the backbone of this country because there is no other institution that brings together so many unique human beings of all persuasions of race, ethnicity or cultures on a daily basis where they learn from one another and are united as one for the same peaceful purpose(s) (including what it is to be an American).

The future of America is the product of its schools; not the White House, the Pentagon, the CIA, Wall Street, etc....

The quality of what is being produced in public schools is a whole 'nuther topic.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/09/13 - 09:31 pm
As always, you only

As always, you only understand and evidently read only the portion you think someone is posting.

I stated:

"but religion has nothing to do with my faith in God."

(Meaning that my faith is not dependent on a religion. I follow my religious doctrine because of my faith. My faith is anchored in the knowledge and relationship with Jesus Christ through studying and reading of His Word)

"Religion is a term that describes a certain doctrine of faith"

(this is pretty well self explanatory)

" , but faith itself is a state of being in relationship with God."

(Faith is a state of existence, it is not dependent on any doctrine, it is a matter of trust/hope/assurance)

Now that I have broken it down elementary style, I hope it makes more sense to you. I'm sorry if it was unclear.

You stated "It is possible to be a Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, by pass Jesus, and have the same kind of "faith itself of being in relationship with "God" that Christianity claims is unique to it and it alone?"

It is unique to Christianity because Muslims, Buddhist, and Hindu's do not believe in the Christian God. No the God Muslims worship is not the same God as Christians worship....so don't go there.

You can have faith in a lot of things. We have faith when we put the key in our vehicle ignition that it's going to start. We have faith that the oncoming traffic is going to stay in their lane. We have faith that when we go to sleep at night, we will wake in the morning. The question is, is your faith going to sustain you through life and the bigger question, in death?

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/09/13 - 09:09 pm
On Public Education "because

On Public Education

"because there is no other institution that brings together so many unique human beings of all persuasions of race, ethnicity or cultures on a daily basis where they learn from one another and are united as one for the same peaceful purpose(s) (including what it is to be an American)."

Sure sounds like the church I'm a member of, all persuasions of race, ethnicity and cultures, united together in love and peace, striving to be honorable and moral Americans.

Also sounds a lot like our military institutions. A makeup of diverse races, ethnicities, and cultures....united together as brothers and sisters, serving and protecting America.

So, I find it necessary to differ with you on public education being the only institution that brings people together for the good of our nation.

dahreese
dahreese 04/09/13 - 10:31 pm
"I find it necessary to

"I find it necessary to differ with you on public education being the only institution that brings people together for the good of our nation."

I never said public education was the only institution that brings people together.

I said that public education is the backbone of this nation, not the White House, the Pentagon, the CIA nor Wall Street (and I will differ with you regarding the Church- where I earned some of my income at one time)
------------------------------------------------------------------
"No, the God Muslims worship is not the same God as Christians worship, so don't go there."

What !!!???

It's exactly the same God!

Judaism, Christianity and Islam all come from the same root beginning!

Abraham!

And whoever said "God" is "Christian?" That is bigotry!

And are you telling me that it is not possible to have a faith without an organized religion or a "bible?"