The unkindest cuts of all

Obama sidesteps government waste to make budget reduction truly hurt

President Obama once promised to go through the federal budget line by line to find savings.

But today, he’s acting as if there isn’t one single dollar of waste to be squeezed out of the monster in Washington.

Faced with cutting $85 billion out of a $3 trillion-plus budget – because of the “sequestration” cuts he proposed and Congress couldn’t avoid – Mr. Obama has opted to cut what hurts the American people the most – such things as White House tours, and closing 149 airport control towers in 46 states.

They also apparently couldn’t afford to keep detaining thousands of illegal immigrants.

All this despite the fact that the sequestration cuts amount to about 2 percent of the budget.

In addition, to get to those painful cuts – in order to make his dire sequestration predictions come true and to politically bludgeon his Republican opponents – Mr. Obama is having to cynically step over piles of information on actual government waste.

As columnist Charles Krauthammer notes, one government watchdog report in 2011 alone found “44 overlapping job training programs, 18 for nutrition assistance, 82 (!) on teacher quality, 56 dealing with financial literacy, more than 20 for homelessness, etc. Total annual cost: $100 billion-$200 billion, about two to five times the entire domestic sequester.”

Consider, too, the scurrilous stories of rampant waste oozing out of our nation’s capital: the General Services Administration’s $822,000 conference at a Las Vegas luxury hotel, symbolized by the photo of a smirking government official enjoying wine in a Vegas tub; newly discovered $60,000 IRS “training” videos that are wholly amateurish parodies of Star Trek and Gilligan’s Island – produced in an IRS studio costing taxpayers $4 million; $1.5 million for a study on why so many lesbians are overweight and gay males are not; the list goes on and on and on.

Yet, this president jumps at the chance to close the White House to tourists in order to scare off the budget cutters.

Meanwhile, this government continues to pour hundreds of millions down various ratholes: The administration recently released $500 million in aid to the Palestinian Authority, which can’t muster the fortitude to recognize the state of Israel.

How dare this administration throw our money away like this – and then turn schoolkids and other tourists away from the American people’s house?

The American people are being played for suckers.

dahreese
dahreese 03/27/13 - 02:07 pm
"The English name

"The English name "Palestinian", to describe the local Arab population, was invented AFTER the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948...This is what MY research revealed. What did YOURs reveal?

Mine "reveals" that you don't know what you're talking about.

That if you read the letter I posted above of Lord Balfour on behalf of "His Majesty's government" the letter specfically says "in Palestine."

"His Majesty's Government view with favour the establishment IN PALESTINE of a national home for the Jewish people...."

Palestinian" was used to refer to the nationalist concept of a Palestinian people by the Arabs of Palestine in a limited way until World War I.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 02:18 pm
So post us a link showing us

So post us a link showing us Palestine on a map.

Here's a link backing up MY comment. Let's see if Dahreese can do the same.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 02:28 pm
"That if you read the letter

"That if you read the letter I posted above of Lord Balfour on behalf of "His Majesty's government" the letter specfically (sic) says "in Palestine.""

Also...when do you plan to leave THIS country?

Jake
Jake 03/27/13 - 02:35 pm
Heading

The sentence under the heading makes no sense at all.
"Obama sidesteps government waste to kake budget reduction truly hurt"?????

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 02:38 pm
Sure it makes sense. There

Sure it makes sense. There is plenty of truly wasteful spending that COULD be made, but since Obama didn't get his way, he side stepped that to make it hurt as much as possible. Such as, the Secret Service that is providing security for his daughter's spring break COULD have provided security for tours of the house that WE THE PEOPLE allow him to live in.

At least that's how I read it.

Jake
Jake 03/27/13 - 02:39 pm
Palestine

The people I first started working for when I moved out here were from Palestine. They were Christians from Jerusalem. One was born in 1944 and at least that is what his birth certificate stated.

Jake
Jake 03/27/13 - 02:42 pm
Oh....

....."kake budget reduction truly hurt" might make sense in your world but not mine.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 02:47 pm
Sorry Jake.....had to scroll

Sorry Jake.....had to scroll up. I thought you just made a typo and I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. I get it now. Wasn't you who made the typo.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 02:50 pm
Not calling you a liar, but I

Not calling you a liar, but I sure would like to see that birth certificate. It's easier for me to believe if I can verify myself. There's just too many people here who refuse to back up what they say. I understand that you probably can't back this one up because you don't have the document in hand.....but many don't back up what they say because they made it up in the first place. I guess I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt again.

dahreese
dahreese 03/27/13 - 03:16 pm
"So all you have to do is

"So all you have to do is simply SAY the word Palestine and that makes it a country? Who knew it was that simple?"

Apparently you didn't know it was that simple.

Ask the Brits, it's their letter.

"Also...when do you plan to leave THIS country?"

After you.

"Ladies" first.

But, before you leave;

Bon voyage....

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 03:33 pm
Nice retort. You criticize

Nice retort. You criticize Israel, yet you have no intention of leaving yourself. That is called hypocrisy. It is not ME who is claiming Israel is not a legitimate nation....it is you who did.

Also, the sarcastic placing of quotes around "ladies" could be considered insulting, and SHOULD get your post flagged.....but I will be a lady and simply let you know that you are being insulting.

KSL
KSL 03/27/13 - 03:34 pm
Just because they lived there

Just because they lived there for awhile, it doesn't make it theirs now. Just ask the descendants of the Romans regarding their previously conquered lands and the descendants of the Moors.

KSL
KSL 03/27/13 - 03:44 pm
Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/27/13 - 04:02 pm
We can afford the security

We can afford the security that is sent with his daughters for spring break, but not the security to give tours of the house that WE THE PEOPLE allow the President to live in? Can anyone say "let them eat cake?"

Jake
Jake 03/27/13 - 04:14 pm
@HA

I have no reason to lie about the birth certificate. He told me that when he became a US citizen in the 70's that the INS here in SF refused to put Palestine as his place of birth (said it didn't exist) until he showed them the document. It is not important if you believe me or not.

KSL
KSL 03/27/13 - 04:32 pm
I don't know why the Secret

I don't know why the Secret Service can afford in their budget for the jet setting obamas, but not for security in the White House during tours (the excuse given), especially since the obamas spend so much time away from it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/27/13 - 04:41 pm
kake

Humble Angela asked:

Can anyone say "let them eat cake?"

Let them eat kake!

Jake
Jake 03/27/13 - 04:42 pm
I thought you might be glad.....

.....that he spends so much time away from Washington.

KSL
KSL 03/27/13 - 05:11 pm
Oh, no. I would rather he tone down their lifestyle on our dime.

The damage done by his administration evidently occurs regardless of where he is.

At least Jimmy put on a sweater and cut the WH thermostat down. I seem to remember cold natured 0 cutting it up.

KSL
KSL 03/27/13 - 05:20 pm
Carter

At least he pretended to be suffering along with the rest of Americans. The obamas either flaunt in our faces or totally try to hide it, like the vacationing 12 and 14 year olds' trip, which apparently didn't get publicized until vacationers notified the right place.

ultrarnr
ultrarnr 03/27/13 - 07:12 pm
Vacations

Maybe you should compare vacation days taken by Bush and Obama and then comment on who is living large
The theme of most right-wing stories on Sasha, Malia and Michelle Obama’s vacations and leisure-time activities seems to be that they’re entitled princesses, when they do exactly the same kinds of things other presidents’ families have done throughout history. There’s only one difference I can see. We all know what the difference is!!!!

carcraft
carcraft 03/27/13 - 09:35 pm
Dahreese I am eating humble

Dahreese I am eating humble pie!

dahreese
dahreese 03/27/13 - 10:03 pm
"Dahreese I am eating humble

"Dahreese I am eating humble pie!"

I am not asking anyone to eat humble pie.

But if you're sincere about it, and you've read "Humble Angela's" "research" and remarks, you will see that I have provided everything she stated didn't exist.

carcraft
carcraft 03/28/13 - 06:01 am
I try to be honest in my

I try to be honest in my points and discussions. Some times. I slip up but force myself to admit it. Many when caught just ignore it and quit posting!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/28/13 - 08:40 am
" I have provided everything

" I have provided everything she stated didn't exist."

You also showed EXTREME hypocrisy by stating that Israel is not a legitimate nation, yet you refuse to leave the nation that YOU live in.

It's not the best I can come up with. I showed links to show that what I said was true, you showed links showing otherwise. Why are your links better than mine? Let people decide. Your hypocrisy is QUITE apparent though. There is NO debate about THAT. Your snide attempts to insult me by putting quotes around the word lady don't go unnoticed either.

Darby
Darby 03/28/13 - 12:15 pm
"Paul Ryan budget never...

actually specified which programs are to be cut"

And yet, Ryan has submitted a budget. Something Obama has yet to do.

Darby
Darby 03/28/13 - 12:27 pm
"But if you're sincere about it,....

and you've read "Humble Angela's" "research" and remarks, you will see that I have provided everything she stated didn't exist."

No, you haven't. In all SINCERITY, all I see is that you have given us your "spin" on the facts, with little or no regard to today's reality.

Nineteen forty-eight was a lifetime ago. Maybe you should try living in the present.

At least you give us all something to laugh about when you obsess on imaginary Israeli "aggression".

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/28/13 - 05:36 pm
"And the BEST she can comment

"And the BEST she can comment about that is that I should leave the country (because I do not support Israel's aggression)."

I wonder how you would feel, dahreese, if the Cherokee launched rockets into your town and killed civilians on a regular basis. Perhaps the Cherokee don't support YOUR aggression.

dahreese
dahreese 03/29/13 - 12:34 pm
Interesting how conservatives

Interesting how conservatives moan and groan in their beer that the govrnment takes their money and gives it to somebody else, but it's ok to take Palestinian land and give it to Israelites.

And, the Israelites, in particular the Lukud faction, isn't satisfied with what the U.N., the U.S. and England gave them, they want more and more and more and take it by force.

Darby
Darby 03/29/13 - 06:07 pm
What Palestinian land????

There is no Palestinian land....

In your dreams maybe...