What the world needs

Pope Francis' humility, simplicity makes him an ideal emissary of peace

Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio has only one healthy lung. Yet he’s been a leading voice for the poor and downtrodden, particularly in his native Argentina.

The first pope to hail from outside Europe in some 1,300 years, Pope Francis, as he asked to be known, seems an impeccable, even exciting choice to head the Catholic church – and to be one of the world’s leading voices for peace.

As much as any leader we’ve heard of, Pope Francis has followed in Jesus’ steps. He has washed the feet of AIDS patients; he eschewed a chauffeur and rode the bus to work; and as a Jesuit, he’s taken a vow of poverty and dedicated his life to serving the less fortunate.

Even after his ascension to the papacy, he
quietly went back to his residence to pick up his few belongings and pay his bill, before stopping by a church to pray with little fanfare. After his election, he chose to greet cardinals while standing, instead of on a throne. When he was made a cardinal, he bypassed the usual fancy vestments and asked his sister to make him some.

Well, the word “trappings” does start with “trap.”

A man of ultimate humility and brotherhood could be just what the world needs at this
moment.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/16/13 - 06:34 am
Congratulations on New Pope

I’m not sure about Pope Francis showing all this humility. He appears to be a good choice, but just how much could a pope flaunt his fame anyway? He can’t buy fancy clothes. I mean all they have to discuss fashion wise about him is his wooden cross as opposed to more ornate ones. Fancy cars are out. He can’t tool around the strip in a fancy Popemobile. Jewelry? He already has a big ring. Vacations with that entourage wouldn’t be any fun. It’s very practical for him to be humble. I wish him well.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/16/13 - 07:23 am
Still iffy on los

Still iffy on los desaparecidos.

myfather15
myfather15 03/16/13 - 07:58 am
Oh yes.....

Still iffy huh? Of course, he was completely cleared of the allegations but I supposed Bodhisattva has evidence the rest of the world wasn't privy to; which suggests he is guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I'm sure this suspicion has absolutely NOTHING to do with him being a religious leader (much sarcasm).

Full disclosure; I'm certainly NOT Catholic and believe several of their beliefs are ridiculous; but their beliefs aren't my business. In my PERSONAL OPINION, I think the reaction to a new Pope is overblown. This is JUST A MAN, nothing more. A good man? Probably. A man who has helped many others? Certainly, but he is still a MAN. Could someone please tell me EXACTLY what the last Pope did, to dramatically change the world?

What I believe is that WE (mankind) place to worship upon other MEN and it needs to stop. Respect? Sure, but certainly not worship. Thats one of my problems with Catholics is that it appears they have many rituals which are borderline worship of other men. The Pope and Cardinals are NOT GOD. They deserve our respect and love, but nothing more. Mankind has fallen into to much celebrity, politician and religious leader worship, when the ONLY entity we should be worshipping is God.

If you have a good pastor, preacher, priest or teacher who teaches you well and brings you closer to God, fantastic. Give him the proper respect; but be careful that he isn't just bringing you closer to HIM or the Church. Keep focused on the true reason for learning; God. I was just amazed at how many people were bawling, and getting on their knees during the ceremony, when Pope Francis walked out. When the truth is, this MAN will probably do nothing for peace in the world, just as the last Pope did. He will probably not make a huge impact on their personal lives. But do you know who can and will? Christ!! So, I will reserve my sincere emotional release for the day of Christ's return; for on THAT DAY, true change will come unto this world and PEACE shall be obtained. UNTIL THAT DAY, they shall say "Peace, Peace, but there shall be no peace."

Jane18
Jane18 03/16/13 - 08:41 am
myfather15's Comment

Amen!(That's That!)

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/16/13 - 09:16 am
In little Protestant churches its was called

Preacher Love. It is dangerous as the head of a little church or a congregation of millions.

Beware of the Liberation Theology prevalent in S. America. Another mix of Marxism and Religion. Jesus is not changing the world so we have to by revolution.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/16/13 - 11:01 am
There are still people that

There are still people that believe that a dead guy is going to return? Really? In the year 2013? Just wondering, if Jesus was just a great teacher but at the same time just a man that died for what he believed in (ie MLK and many others) how long are christians going to wait for him to come back. 100 years more, 500 years more, 1000 years more. You get the idea right? I loved John Lennon but I don't think he is going to come back. I got over his death, and moved on. Why is it people hang on to this fairy tale? Oh, yes I use John Lennon because he did say once the Beatles were bigger then Jesus.
The problem is that people don't live for a thousand years. Most don't live a hundred years. So you are constantly getting another batch of ignorant people, waiting for Jesus to return, while thinking these are the final days, and that no one has ever had so many signs of it before.
They've already waited almost 2000 years, which seems to me a rather ridiculous amount of time to wait for somebody. Certain people will wait for as long as Christianity survives. Right now the religion is running well behind Hinduism and Judaism in terms of longevity.
Regardless of whether or not mankind eschews religion, I think that some day, people will look back on Christianity and the Bible and view it in the same context that we currently view Zeus and other gods of that type: mythology believed by childish people. When that day comes, people will no longer be waiting for Christ to come back and eventually it will all fade into myth.
I just hope mankind isn't then putting their hopes on to yet another myth when that happens.
I envision a few thousand years from now students will be studying ancient Christian mythology, along with ancient Greek and Roman mythologies.
At the time of the Greek gods, they didn't think of it as mythology. It was their religion. They believed it and practiced it.
I figure that this will eventually happen to Christianity. The Egyptian religion was around for thousands of years. I don't think they ever imagined that one day it would end, but it did.

myfather15
myfather15 03/16/13 - 11:25 am
@Giantsallday

It just makes my heart warm to see liberals showing such love and respect for diversity in humanity. Isn't it always the liberals who tout tolerance?? Hhhhhmmmm, why yes it is. This is just another example to PROVE, what I've said for years. Liberals are the MOST intolerant people, on earth!! They absolutely DESPISE people of faith, especially Christianity. You can disagree with someone without demeaning their beliefs; or can you as a liberal? Hmmmmmm...........

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/16/13 - 11:38 am
Did someone just call me a

Did someone just call me a liberal? That's the first time ANYONE has ever called me that. I've voted for the republican presidential candidate every time since I was 18, Gerald ford in 1976. I believe in less taxes, less spending, less government assistance. Some people can't wrap their heads around the fact that many conservatives just don't believe in the religious nonsense. I guess I was pre-judged, but I forgive you.

myfather15
myfather15 03/16/13 - 11:51 am
John Lennon?? How many

John Lennon?? How many prophecies of John Lennon have came true? How many people have actually died, and after dying said they saw John Lennon? Or felt his presence, in the world they went to, after death? Hhhmmm, can't think of a single one.

Now, how many people have died; then stated they saw the "Bright light" and felt the presence of God, or something so awesome, words couldn't describe it? Hmmm, to many to list!! Now, how many actual athiests have died and described the same experience? Hmmmm, many!! Maybe you should read about the neurosurgeon who before his death experience, was an athiest himself. He wrote the book "Proof of Heaven".

Now, of course there shall be scoffers, such as yourself; but guess what? We've been forewarned about this as well. See, you can't outsmart God, not matter how much your liberal brain wants too. Everything you've tried to be so slick about, He has already warned us of.

2 Peter 3:3 "Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4) "And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation."

In this same Chapter, it tells us that to Him, one day is as a thousand years and one thousands years as one day; meaning TIME means NOTHING TO HIM. When you KNOW there is an eternity awaiting, as HE DOES, then it wouldn't mean anything to you either. But, it appears YOU are only able to think fleshly, which is a shame.

But pay close attention to verse 9 in this Chapter, which is very important AND the reason for this long wait.

9) "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

He is going to give EVERY citizen, every opportunity to repent of their OWN FREE WILL, with no coercion; during this lifetime of Him being defacto seperate from this world.

So, Giants; keep those insults and brilliant words coming. Because it isn't so hurtful when you've been forewarned it's going to happen. Test yourself; see if you can hit me with something I haven't heard of, or been forewarned about.

myfather15
myfather15 03/16/13 - 12:00 pm
Another CINO, or RINO. Just

Another CINO, or RINO. Just because you believe in lower taxes, doesn't make you a conservative.

Conservative - The Free Dictionary
con·ser·va·tive (k n-sûr v -t v). adj. 1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change. 2. Traditional or restrained in style

Hmmmmm, doesn't sound like you're too much of a traditionalist, being as the VAST MAJORITY of people do believe in God, as opposed to YOU.

Hey, did you realize that a wolf, in sheeps clothing is still a wolf? Oooh, I guess you believed it was a sheep. Hhhmmmmm..............

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/16/13 - 12:04 pm
OK, I'm convinced. Lets get

OK, I'm convinced. Lets get back on topic on commenting about what a great guy the new pope is.

myfather15
myfather15 03/16/13 - 12:13 pm
No Giants; you weren't

No Giants; you weren't pre-judged and no forgiveness is neccessary because forgiveness requires repentence and asking for forgiveness; I haven't repented for what I said and guess what? I didn't ask!!

Care to show me in the Bible where it says you will be forgiven, without repentence and asking for forgiveness?

Now, learn the difference in judging and discerning. I've discerned from MANY of your previous posts, that you indeed ARE NOT conservative. Maybe fiscally conservative but certainly not republican conservative; and no it has nothing to do with your lack of faith.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/16/13 - 01:22 pm
I Have One Question?

What would humanity be like on this earth from the beginning of "Time" without the belief in something bigger than them itself.
Try picturing living without faith of any religion which has provide laws to live by, keeping in mind that humanity is nothing more than an animal of a higher level.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/16/13 - 01:49 pm
Our ethics do not come from

Our ethics do not come from religion, thankfully. Mankind would be a lot further advanced today, without the superstitions of religion.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/16/13 - 06:41 pm
Some corrections

Some corrections needed.....GAD, the "dead guy's" name is Jesus and just to set the record straight since you are so uninformed. He isn't dead, He arose from the grave. As for how long Christians are going to wait till Jesus returns.....Christians aren't waiting for His return, we're preparing for His return. And you are right, our ethics do not come from religion. Since we are all made in the image of Christ, good moral ethics are instilled in us by our creator but some do a better job of displaying them than others.

2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.."

What better place to learn good moral ethics than from His Holy Word.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/16/13 - 06:50 pm
And this dead guy died 2,000

And this dead guy died 2,000 years ago came back to life and this zombie is living somewhere right now. And you have proof of this? Do tell.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/16/13 - 08:18 pm
Yes, this guy died 2,000

Yes, this guy died 2,000 years ago and came back to life and he's not a zombie, He's my Lord and Savior and the proof I have that He did this is living within in me. It may not be proof to you and that is okay, you could have it if you really wanted it but since you don't, my proof is sufficient for me.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/16/13 - 08:22 pm
Saved you from what, exactly?

Saved you from what, exactly?

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/16/13 - 08:30 pm
Eternity without Him, GAD,

Eternity without Him, GAD, that's what.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/16/13 - 08:35 pm
What the world needs now...

is love sweet love; not for some, but for everyone;

myfather15
myfather15 03/16/13 - 08:54 pm
@Giants

I'm not sure how old you are, but I haven't been "waiting" on Christ's return for 2000 years. I've been "waiting" on it for 39 years; as a matter of fact, probably less than that, because thats how old I am. I probably wasn't "waiting" on his return for the first 20 years of my life. So really, I've only been "waiting" on it for 19 years; and I don't think any other individual has been "waiting" for 2000 years either. Funny how it works that way, huh?

Also, while I've been "waiting"; I've absolutely enjoyed a wonderful life. A life of highs and lows, but non the less, a wonderful life filled with the Holy Spirit. Again, read 2 Peter Chapter 3; it will explain a lot.

myfather15
myfather15 03/16/13 - 09:00 pm
Ask someone who has actually

Ask someone who has actually been clinically dead. You could watch the show about people who have died and came back, but you still wouldn't believe. Each one of them had one thing in common; each one said there was someting miraculous present, when they died. They couldn't describe it, but it was there. Yes, some of them still aren't Christian, but they DO BELIEVE in life after death, and that there is SOMETHING greater in existence. But again; you'll just say they were dreaming, even after doctors pronounced them dead. People like you just simply will not believe, not matter what kind of testimony you hear. BUT, why can't you just respect those of faith, instead of demean them and belittle them? Isn't it easier to be nice to people?

harley_52
harley_52 03/16/13 - 09:07 pm
"And this dead guy died 2,000 years ago....

....came back to life and this zombie is living somewhere right now."

What do you hope to accomplish by mocking Christianity?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 03/16/13 - 10:26 pm
Maybe I would like to raise

Maybe I would like to raise awareness. If I had a wish it would for the kids. May they have good teachers and parents who teach them critical thinking skills (something that most religions despise) and install in them a working BS meter.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/17/13 - 08:16 am
Did it ever cross your mind

Did it ever cross your mind GAD, you may be the one who is wrong and we had good parents and teachers who taught us critical thinking skills and we discovered there is a God. Maybe it is YOUR BS meter that isn't working so well?

harley_52
harley_52 03/17/13 - 09:45 am
I'm Always Amused....

...by those who assume only THEY possess "critical thinking" skills and, therefore, the conclusions THEY draw are necessarily the right ones.

Here's a clue, GAD....even if you employ those "critical thinking" skills you assume others don't, it's possible you may still reach the wrong conclusions. And, "critical thinking" skills or not, there's no point in being a snarky, self-righteous, know-it-all about things.

A good Christian would know better.

myfather15
myfather15 03/17/13 - 09:45 am
That would be laughable, if it weren't so serious

Giants say they want to help the children; help them what? Become snarky, cocky, self-absorbing, demeaning litte punks? You do realize there is a way to disagree with people, without demeaning and belittling their faith, don't you? But you certainly don't know how that works; which means I certainly wouldn't want you teaching any children.

It also amazes me that these people believe they are soooooo much smarter than us. They are "critical thinkers" because they don't believe in a higher being, which created the world. But we are just simpletons, who need them to guide us to a more acceptable philosophy. YET, the VAST MAJORITY of the ENTIRE WORLD believes in a higher power. Not neccessarily the Christian God, but in a god; none the less. BUT, its these awesome critical thinkers; who compared to those of SOME SORT OF FAITH, are the very few. BUT, they still have to be right; it couldn't be the majority of the world is right, huh? Athiests make up approximately 16% of the WORLDS population.

But, I suppose they are the highly enlightened of the world. Us dummys should just shut up and do as they say, right?

Yes, I also realize that faith in a god is declining in the world. I've people say many times "In 100 years, religious people will be the minority". Yes, I absolutely believe this is true. NOT, because they say it's true, but because the Bible says its true. HE has forewarned us of everything, which; when you've been forewarned, you are surprised when you see it happening, it actually strengthens your faith to see prophecy being fullfilled.

2 Thessalonians 2:3 "Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a FALLING AWAY first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"

The day they are talking about is Christ's return. There will be a falling away before that day; it's happening now. Oooh, it shall happen as it is written. The only thing I hope is that people like giantsallday, comes to repentence and finds faith; BUT if he refuses, I hope he remembers these words he types, when that day comes.

For there is NO downside to my faith; if I'm wrong I've lived a wonderful life here and thats that. I've treated everyone with respect and love. But if I'm right, I have a PERFECT WORLD to look forward to; a perfect life without disease, sickness, crime or getting old. A perfect vibrant body for an enternity; WOW, can you imagine that?

But if Giant's is wrong; they have lives a good life and treated people well (hopefully). BUT, thats the end; there is no further living for them. Their very existence is done away with, denying them the opportunity to partake in a perfect world, which is exactly what hell is.

Wow, I just can't see the downside of living a life for Christ. But I sure can see the downside of living without Him.

Accord tops list of stolen vehicles

The National Insurance Crime Bureau released its annual report on the 10 most stolen vehicles in the country earlier this month, and some residents say they aren't surprised with what they saw.