Be aware of the scare

Democrats abandon proper perspective over sequestration

Democrats have bizarrely been claiming that Washington doesn’t have a spending problem. The government just doesn’t have enough of our money, and rich people aren’t paying their “fair share.” That’s the problem, they say.

Well, the world should soon see how wrong they are.

A new analysis, notes cable network CNBC, says “average tax bills for high-income families rarely have been higher since the Congressional Budget Office began tracking the data in 1979. It’s middle- and low-income families who aren’t paying as much as they used to.”

So taxes on the rich are at a 30-year high – and some 47 percent of the population doesn’t pay federal income taxes at all.

“According to historical tables compiled by the White House Office of Management and Budget,” the report says, “the government has never collected more than the $2.6 trillion it collected in 2007, meaning that if CBO’s projection is correct, it will set a new record for revenue collection in 2013.”

So, question: Will the president and Democrats in Congress acknowledge those things and surmise that we’re already taking enough money out of the economy – that the real problem is spending all of that and more? If we still have a deficit, even with record revenues especially from the well-off, won’t Democrats then have to acknowledge that it’s a spending problem?

Don’t hold your breath. They have staked the entire Democratic Party’s future on the supposed incessant need for more and more of our money. Even though they’ll get record amounts of it this year.

It will never be enough – particularly when Washington spending is so completely out of control.

How can they tell how much is enough anyway? The Democrat-led Senate has refused to pass a federal budget in four years.

Regardless, it appears the only way Washington can make a case for needing more of your money is to lie, exaggerate and fear monger.

The Obama administration predicted gloom and doom with the coming of last Friday’s “sequestration” budget cuts, but had to admit later that they’d exaggerated – although they seem to be trying to cause as much pain as possible with the cuts they’re choosing.

Consider, too, that most American workers had their payroll taxes go up 2.4 percent in January. That’s about the level of sequestration cuts – and we’re supposed to panic that the government has to cut the same amount (and over a longer period of time)?

In some cases administration officials simply appear to have lied about sequestration’s effects. The Washington Post – a largely liberal newspaper – slapped Education Secretary Arne Duncan with “four Pinocchios” – the paper’s highest dishonor for misinformation – for his claim that sequestration could leave 40,000 teachers without a job and that “pink slips” were already going out in one West Virginia county.

Neither was even close to being true. The Post couldn’t find any evidence of sequester-related layoffs – though there were some 100 unrelated transfer notices in the West Virginia county he mentioned. The biggest issue in the West Virginia school district, the Post learned, was actually teacher absenteeism.

“In fact,” writes the Post, “few in the county seemed to know what Duncan was talking about, including the education reporters who cover the school district for the Charleston, W.Va., newspapers.”

Duncan’s office now claims the 40,000 layoff figure was a “rough back-of-the-envelope calculation.” Great. The highest levels of your federal government are setting policy and making public pronouncements based on sketches on the backs of envelopes. Just wait till the new shipment of cocktail napkins comes in; then you’ll really get some good information!

Of course, Duncan and the other Cabinet members who tried to panic the citizenry are nothing compared to Democrat Rep. Maxine Waters of California, who predicted 170 million Americans would lose jobs due to sequestration. That’s a neat trick, since there are only around 140 million total jobs in the U.S. (she later backtracked).

Just be aware of the scare. With federal revenues at soon-to-be record levels, lying is the only way they can squeeze more money out of you.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/06/13 - 01:18 pm
Not all elderly reach the

Not all elderly reach the point of having to pay on SS income. Many have deductions that drop them below that level or don't receive a large enough check to offset the standard deduction. The figures showed these people made up 22 percent of the group not that every person receiving SS fell into the group.

burninater
burninater 03/06/13 - 01:31 pm
Could you please provide

Could you please provide where you got the information that 75% of the 47%, are "Fixed Income Seniors"? I've read about this myself and I've never seen the numbers near that high, but would certainly be willing to read your source.
---------
Myfather, my memory failed me on this one. The 75% number was elderly + working poor. The correct number just for elderly benefits is 44%:

"Of the 38 million tax units made nontaxable by the addition of tax expenditures, 44 percent are moved off the tax rolls by elderly tax benefits and another 30 percent by credits for children and the working poor (see chart 2 and table 2). The other six groups of tax expenditures have much less impact, each making 6 percent or fewer units nontaxable."

Chigger Hill Man
Chigger Hill Man 03/06/13 - 01:34 pm
I'll tell you what, Allhans and my father

I thought for a minute that Oreilly was coming across the desk after Allen Combs. Bill gets steamed sometimes, but that's as mad as I've seen him. He was about that mad with Barney Frank a couple of years ago but Barney s speaking from a different location via tv feed.

burninater
burninater 03/06/13 - 01:39 pm
Misleading?

LL said -- "I think you're trying to mislead us, Burn. The story was in yesterday's Chronicle print edition and it was an Associated Press story. The story was not about tax revenue projections, but instead was analyzing actual past tax revenue trends."
--------
LL, I'm only repeating what this editorial says:

"Moreover, projections by the Congressional Budget Office predict federal revenues will be at record levels this year – $2.7 trillion – “the most money the government has ever taken in,” one news report summed up."

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/06/13 - 01:40 pm
There are no wealthy who had

There are no wealthy who had path greased by preexisting family wealth, connections, or just plain out inherited their money. All were graced by God. A bond trader works harder and is more valuable to society than the cop on the beat, the serviceman in Afghanistan, or the EMT who cuts you out of a burning car and saves your life. All low earners are just deadbeats who loaf through their unimportant cushy jobs to get out of paying taxes. They should be ashamed of themselves for being such a blight on society.

burninater
burninater 03/06/13 - 01:47 pm
Oreilly

The irony is that Colmes was correct. Obama has proposed $400 billion in cuts to federal health spending, which includes a $140 billion reduction in "payments to drug companies" and a $25 billion reduction for Medicaid and affiliated programs.

I've seen him be gracious in situations where he had incorrect info in the past, but sometimes, O'Reilly just cannot handle it when he is caught being incorrect.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/06/13 - 01:50 pm
Bodhisattva....your sarcasm

Bodhisattva....your sarcasm is showing. However, if a bond trader is paid more, then YES he has more monetary value. Are you saying that the guy who picks up your garbage should be paid the same as the guy who performs your surgery? Why would someone want to work hard if they don't get paid more for it. As for some people having the path greased by family wealth.....what's the alternative......have that wealth confiscated and redistributed by the Government? Sound quite socialist to me.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 03/06/13 - 01:52 pm
If Colmes was correct then

If Colmes was correct then why couldn't he name ONE program that Obama would cut? Obama has SAID he would do a great many things...such as close GITMO and cut the deficit in half....how's that coming along?

Darby
Darby 03/06/13 - 02:00 pm
"sometimes, O'Reilly just cannot....

handle it when he is caught being incorrect."

Wasn't that statement supposed to be followed by the disclaimer, "In my humble opinion?"

burninater
burninater 03/06/13 - 02:03 pm
Medicare is not a program?

HA, Medicare is not a program?

Darby, I think the video of his screaming fit exempts me from needing to qualify that it is my opinion that sometimes he can't handle it.

harley_52
harley_52 03/06/13 - 02:00 pm
Colmes Was Lying...

....he got caught, and Oriley lost his temper.

Liberals (including Obama) lie more often than not about taxes, other social programs, and their real intentions.

Then there are those who come onto these types of boards and lie right along with them.

It's ALWAYS best to watch what they DO, not listen to what they SAY. They'll say anything to anybody, depending on what outcome they desire.

burninater
burninater 03/06/13 - 02:10 pm
Actually, Colmes pointed out

Actually, Colmes pointed out that OReilly was lying, OReilly blew his top rather than face up to it. Nobody's perfect, harley.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/06/13 - 02:11 pm
Would the Chronicle please

Would the Chronicle please post their source for the statement "So taxes on the rich are at a 30-year high". Please let us see the rates actually paid, not marginal rates since few if any actually pay the top rate. Also please use gross income. Since wealthier people tend to have more available deductions it would give us a more accurate figure than using AGI. We just saw that it's possible to pay 14 percent or less on incomes in the $10 and $20 million dollar range. It would be heartbreaking to see millionaires and billionaires have to pay upwards of 15 percent.

Darby
Darby 03/06/13 - 02:20 pm
Over 170 Million Jobs.....

could Be Lost Due To "Sequestration".
So says the moron, Maxine Waters, liberal Democrat intellectual.

Really strange since it is estimated that there are only approximately 140 jobs in the entire country.

She could have said the island of Guam is about to tip over and sink beneath the ocean waves, but that one was already taken by another Democrat.

The prog/libs have really jumped the shark on this sequester thingy....

allhans
allhans 03/06/13 - 02:28 pm
Rand Paul is still

Rand Paul is still talking....began at 11:45...old type filibuster of a Brennan nomination...Go Rand...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/06/13 - 02:28 pm
I don't know whether Obama

I don't know whether Obama did or did not offer tax cuts; but assuming he did, I will bet my next pension check that it was a poison pill with unacceptable tax incresaes attached to it.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/06/13 - 02:31 pm
It's nice to have a right

It's nice to have a right winger admit that the path to wealth for many is given rather than earned. No need to be smarter or work harder or faster. Success is guaranteed from the start. The origin of entitlement minus having to be called "Duke".

allhans
allhans 03/06/13 - 02:34 pm
Who was it that said we'd

Who was it that said we'd better be happy that we are NOT getting all the government we are paying for....

<<<<...>>>>
Why is it that liberal leaders who claim to be FOR the poor have a higher percentage of poor than others....

myfather15
myfather15 03/06/13 - 02:34 pm
Here is a place to start cutting spending.....

So, Obama's wonderful friends (alleged alley) Egypt, whom we (The USA) recently gave 20 F16 Fighter Jets, 200 M-1 Abram tanks and 1.5 Billion dollars in aid has just proven what EVERYONE (not a radical leftists) has been saying all along, EGYPT is NOT our friend. Egypt recenlty captured one of the Benghazi terrorist attack suspects, but REFUSES, I repeat REFUSES to give the United States ACCESS to this terrorist.

Wow, did we spend our money and support well. We give them ALL THAT and they still won't allow us to even question this piece of filth.

20 F-16 Fighter Jets at 12 million apiece= 240 Million dollars
200 M-1 Abram Tanks at 8.58 Million apiece= 1,716,000,000.00
1.5 Billion in Financial Aid (Cash)= Well.........1.5 Billion dollars

So, we've given Egypt over 3.5 Billion in aid and equipment this year alone and what have they given us..........................................? Wait for it.............THE ISLAMIC MIDDLE FINGER!!!!

allhans
allhans 03/06/13 - 02:37 pm
WASHINGTON -- The House of

WASHINGTON -- The House of Representatives voted (today) Wednesday to keep the federal government funded through the end of the fiscal year, seeking to avert a potential government shutdown when the continuing resolution expires on March 27.

The legislation passed the lower chamber by 267 to 151 votes, with 137 Democrats voting against it. The $982 billion stopgap measure locks in post-sequestration spending levels but includes protections for defense and veterans programs, enabling them to adjust to the cuts brought on by sequestration.

myfather15
myfather15 03/06/13 - 02:39 pm
We also give 2 billion

We also give 2 billion annually to Pakistan; and how to they show their gratitude? By sentencing the doctor who helped us find Bin-laden to 33 years in prison. Yes friends, this man who helped us find the most wanted terrorist in the world is doing a hard 33 years in prison. So, not only did he NOT get the 25 million reward for helping us find him, he got 33 years in prison. So, what are we doing to help him? Nothing!! But we are continuing to give financial aid to the Country that hid him; hmmmmmm, doesn't sound right to me. I believe cutting off financial aid to Pakistan and Egypt, would be a good start to reduce spending, don't you? What, are we afraid because Pakistan has nukes?

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 03/06/13 - 02:56 pm
@Bodhisattva 2:11

We ran an AP story about this over the weekend I believe. I can't find it on our website, but we normally don't post most AP stories we run. Do a Google search for "taxes on the rich are at a 30-year high," and you will see many web stories on this. It looks like they were all taken from Associated Press analysis of Congressional Budget Office information.

harley_52
harley_52 03/06/13 - 03:01 pm
" What, are we afraid because Pakistan has nukes?"

In a word.....yes.

We're not comfortable with those who have sworn to destroy us having not just the desire, but the capability to actually do it. So we try to appease them, rather than confront the inevitable. Ditto for Iran, ditto for North Korea.

We like to kick the can down the road. We like to feed the alligator hoping he won't actually decide to eat us.

harley_52
harley_52 03/06/13 - 03:17 pm
"The origin of entitlement minus having to be called "Duke."

That really galls the lefties. The horror of it all. That a family's success in one generation can be passed along to the next. Better to enrich the political class and and the moocher class with wealth stolen from those who earned it themselves, or committed the unforgivable sin of being born to a family who earned it before them.

The federal government now collects more taxes than at any time in our history, but it's not enough. They want more. Heck, the royal family has decided to lock the public out of the White House just to inflict a little pain on citizens who want to take their kids to see a little American history.

Such a classy bunch....

myfather15
myfather15 03/06/13 - 03:22 pm
@bodhisattva

Trust me, I realize there are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of young people, whose path to prosperity was paved by their parents and grandparents. They actually DO have a silver spoon in their mouths and YES, it makes me sick to my stomach. I've worked hard my whole life; served in the Marine Corps and been a deputy for 16 years. I know a particular family who, just this last Christmas, the gift they gave to their children and grandchildren were checks for 10 million apiece. I actually know several of the grandchildren (all young adults) who I wouldn't spit on if they were on fire (Figure of speech).

I was in court the other day with one of the worst drug dealing, drug addict, alcoholics you could imagine. His mommy is a multi millionaire and he is an only child. Hes been arrested probably 15 times for drug and alcohol related crimes. His mommy tries to buy his way out of trouble every time (I don't mean bribes but hiring high priced attorneys). Thing about it is, she is 75 years old and when she dies, this pathetic waste of breath will get every dime of that money and it will be gone in a few years, if not sooner.

Yes, the balances are out of whack. When you have sports athletes making 25 million a year and Soldiers fighting in war; less than 30k per year. Something is wrong. Yes, that is capitalism, but wrong non the less. It shall be individuals that shall answer for their greed.

My point is; you don't think I KNOW that life isn't fair? Yes, I see and live in it everyday. I see the unjust of life, daily. I see how greed is absolutely destroying, not just America but the world. The Bible has a wonderful lesson on greed in Luke chapter 12; in which my capitalist friends love to overlook. It's about people having to build bigger barns (Banks of today) to store their stuff, because they have so much.

I've worked hard my entire life and still struggle. My parents weren't well off at all, as a matter of fact; I help take care of my mother on my meager salary and I'm glad to do it. I've absolutely NEVER had help from any MAN, including my parents (My dad died when I was 12). When I say I'm a self made man, I mean that 100%!!! I've never been given SQUAT, not a dime.

I also realize I'm not some brilliant business type mind, so I probably won't be rich. Guess what? I don't care if I'm rich, I'm content with security. I'm doing ok and have God, who has helped me many times. If I'm willing to work, He will provide; be it overtime, special duties, etc. He has never allowed me or my family to go hungry. I feel the same thing about other people. IF they seek Him and IF they are willing to work, HE will make ways for them to do so. He will open doors that no man can shut; BUT you must remember what the Bible says; "Seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God and all things shall be given unto you." Notice you must FIRST seek Him, not the other say around.

So yes, I realize there are injustices in this world and MANY of them. But I agree with Humble Angela; is the better alternative to allow the government to TAKE peoples money and distribute it as THEY see fit? The most corrupt organization in existence, and you trust THEM to fairly distribute money? That is insane!! I'll pass on that alternative. I'll trust that Christ shall balance the equation, very soon. He is the ONLY one I trust.

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/13 - 03:25 pm
Bodhisattva I have gone over

Bodhisattva I have gone over this many times. Take Mitt Romney, he paid an effective rate of about 14%. Why ? Because his income is from capital gains. It is money put at risk. We know money put at risk is not a sure bet, look at Obama's investment (with our tax dollars) in green energy companies like Solyndra, Ener 123, Fisker Motors etc. If the company makes a profit then the profit is taxed at about 12%. Then Romney got his share of what was left. This was again taxed at about 12% making for an effective tax rate of about 24%. America has the highest corperate tax rates in the World. We drive productive people out of America with our tax system. The co founder of face book went to Singapor and renounced his US citizenship over taxes!

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/06/13 - 03:27 pm
Just like placing in

Just like placing in power/funding/arming Pinochet, Suharto, Samosa, the House of Saud, Noriega, Trujillo, Branco, Diem, Thieu, Chiang, Marcos, and the Taliban just for starters. We've had plenty of practice.

carcraft
carcraft 03/06/13 - 03:31 pm
Not everybody that is wealthy

Not everybody that is wealthy had the skids to wealth greased. Where was Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Opra Winfre, Johnson of BET fame,.Daymon Johns of FUB, and millions more who made wealth by hard work and smarts? America is a land of oppertunity but the window is closing thanks to government regulations, read my post about the founder of Home Depot and Sub Way saying they could not do it to day!

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/06/13 - 03:43 pm
Did the stories say it's at a

Did the stories say it's at a 30 year high by amount or percent of income? Since the top percent has had income growth pushing 300 percent over the past three decades it would stand to reason they would be paying more. Is there anyone on here who would mind paying three times the taxes on three times the income? I'd happily go along with that deal.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 03/06/13 - 03:54 pm
If all of the rich want to

If all of the rich want to move to third world countries to avoid taxes I say more power to them. If they want to live here and enjoy our freedom, culture, and society they need to shut up and stop whining about paying tax rates less than the $8,700 to $35,350 bracket.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen