Don't disarm the good guys

Law-abiding gun owners are not the problem

We had heard that there was a shooting recently at a theater in which an off-duty officer felled a gunman.

But we sure had a hard time tracking the case down in the “mainstream” media.

The reason: The incident 1) avoided a tragedy, and the media don’t find that interesting, and 2) the hero in the story was armed and used her gun to prevent loss of life.

And that’s a story that doesn’t fit the “mainstream” media’s current “guns bad” narrative.

The case occurred Dec. 16 in San Antonio. A gunman in an apparent romantic rage shot at a crowd in a mall restaurant, then chased people over to a theater complex. There, security guard and off-duty Bexar County sheriff’s Sgt. Lisa Castellano drew her weapon and fired, incapacitating the gunman and likely saving lives.

Again, the media don’t want that spread around too much, because it proves that legal weapons in public places can be a good thing.

They’re pretty useful in private places, too.

An intruder picked the wrong Walton County, Ga., house to break into earlier this month. Melinda Herman was home with her twin 9-year-olds – but she wasn’t alone. When the man knocked and rang the doorbell insistently, she huddled with her kids in an attic room – armed with a .38-caliber gun. For some reason, the intruder wouldn’t stop until he found them, and she shot him repeatedly. She and the kids escaped to a neighbor’s, while the attacker – parolee Paul Slater – escaped temporarily before being found and hospitalized.

The media have been less able to ignore this case, as it involves a young mother defending her cubs.

But it’s more evidence that gun control only endangers law-abiding citizens; criminals, by definition, don’t follow laws, including gun laws.

That doesn’t stop gun-control forces from trying to disarm the public. Indeed, it required two separate rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court to finally establish Americans’ inviolate right to self defense. Even after the high court struck down the Washington, D.C., handgun ban, the city of Chicago clung to its ban on something of a technicality: hoping that it could disarm its law-abiding citizens because the Second Amendment doesn’t apply to cities.

The high court ruled it does – but only by a perilously close 5-4 decision. After a few more Obama justices, where will
our Second Amendment rights be?

And what did the handgun ban do for Chicago? It ranks among the cities with the most shootings in America.

Again, that’s because criminals don’t pay attention to the law.

But if the city leaders of Chicago had had their way nationally, Melinda Herman would have been defenseless against that intruder – and heaven only knows what might have happened to her and her children.

Nothing good will come of disarming the good guys.

fedex227
fedex227 01/21/13 - 03:24 am
I'm not knockin' facts, not challenging statistics ...

But come on ... "The reason: The incident 1) avoided a tragedy, and the media don’t find that interesting"

" ... the media don't find that interesting ..."

''the media doesn't want the" ...

"The media have been less" ...

Seriously?

English; an interesting language if you take the time to learn the rules. Ignorance for a newspaper? Inexcusable.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/21/13 - 05:51 am
Columbia County

The Columbia County School System Administrators should read this editorial. They apparently believe armed principals are too dangerous to have around kids. The Columbia County BOE, elected by the voters, should take the initiative and reel in these absurd statements by some administrators that are disrespectful to those who utilize their 2nd Amendment rights.

In Israel, three school personnel in every school are armed. They have never had an incident of those duly armed individuals causing a problem. They have also never had school shootings like we've had, even though they live on the edge of insanity.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/13 - 09:05 am
I'm overwhelmed by the irony.

"Ignorance for a newspaper? Inexcusable."

I see two sentence fragments in a row from someone who is criticizing someone else for poor use of English.

And just for the record, the word "media" is the plural form of "medium" so the contraction "don't" for "do not" is the appropriate use of the English language as is "The media have been less."

SFCRET85
SFCRET85 01/21/13 - 09:51 am
Guns Keep You Safe At Home

From today's news. How appropriate and how many more tragic scenario's like this are needed?

Bulldog1
Bulldog1 01/21/13 - 09:57 am
Typical

If the message cannot be attacked on sound logical grounds, then the left has a strong tendency to attack the messenger and if that fails they just ignore it... As a result of this editorial, I did a quick check of recent new events and found 6 incidents, in the last month, where honest, law abiding citizens successfully defended themselves from armed intruders in home invasions. All six events were reported in local media outlets, but it appears that none were reported nationally. These events occurred in TN, PA, NM, MD, GA and LA. I feel confident that these events are, but a few of the many which occure regularly, but which are reported by the extremely biased national media.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/13 - 10:05 am
Bulldog...the funniest part

Bulldog...the funniest part is that the attack on the messenger was completely wrong! LOL

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/21/13 - 11:06 am
Disputes off grammar aside,

Disputes off grammar aside, the editorial is right on point. And we should also point out that in the instance of the GA mother defending herself and her two daughters, that she fired six rounds and hit the intruder five times and he was still moving. At that point, because she was using a .38 caliber revolver, she was out of ammunition. You know, the "not clip fed" weapons they want to limit us to being able to own. What if there had been two or more burglars? If I was placed in her position I would have wanted my clip fed weapon with "more than 10 rounds".......16 to 30 rounds IS what you NEED nowadays.

I don't want the government telling me how many rounds I NEED to defend myself until they pass a law that tells the bad guys they have to fall down when they get hit the first time and they cannot be more than one guy involved in any crime or assault.

myfather15
myfather15 01/21/13 - 11:55 am
Yes, when you see them

Yes, when you see them attacking the grammar, you can bet they have no other argument to use against the content of the letter. They can't refute it with a rational, logical debate; so as Bulldog said, they attack the messenger.

People need to understand; most people on here (myself included) are NOT getting paid to blog on here. I read the articles and most of the comments. I then type my own comments and and post them. So, I spend too much time on here as is. Therefore I'm not going to proof read every comment I post. There will be MANY mistakes, I promise you. So, if the best you can do is to attack my grammar and spelling, have at it; I'll give you plenty of ammunition to use. I couldn't care less what you think.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/13 - 12:00 pm
And if you ARE going to

And if you ARE going to attack grammar.....at least be correct in your attack. LOL

fedex227
fedex227 01/21/13 - 12:05 pm
And just for the record ...

"As for the statement "the media doesn't want the"....Well, that doesn't appear in the letter."

Not any more. Sort of the way some people edit their posts.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/21/13 - 12:15 pm
Perhaps it USED to be in the

Perhaps it USED to be in the letter...but all of the CORRECT uses of grammar that you attempted to attack are still there. Seems to me that you owe the letter writer an apology for your incorrect attacks.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/21/13 - 12:34 pm
Short Timer

Riverman posted:

Absolutely correct, RM. The main offender is short-timer Charles Nagle. He retires at the end of this school year. It's easy for him to talk about the future since he will have no responsibility for running the system then. I wish BOE chair Buccafusco would take him to the side and ask him to shut up.

grouse
grouse 01/21/13 - 12:38 pm
In both situations The

In both situations The Chronicle cites, neither involved a pseudo-military weapon. No one is trying to ban handguns. This is the kind of irresponsible fear-mongering that The Chronicle and other conservative rags revel in.

Michael Ryan
Michael Ryan 01/21/13 - 12:48 pm
I can't believe this is the

I can't believe this is the issue, but ...

media: plural of me·di·a (Noun)
Noun
1.The main means of mass communication regarded collectively: "the campaign won media attention".

In addition, while it's easy to slip up and use media in the singular, I checked the hard copy of the editorial; we did not say "media doesn't" in any incarnation of this editorial.
Nor would it have changed any facts about guns if we had.

Darby
Darby 01/21/13 - 01:07 pm
fedex227 - Seriously?? We're facing one of the greatest...

threats possible to our freedom and security. And you get hung-up and distracted by syntax.

You appear to be searching for an issue where none exists.

Seriously?

Seriously?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/21/13 - 06:24 pm
Grammatical Mistakes

You mean there are grammatical mistakes by Chronicle writers and commenters? Say it ain't so. :)

KSL
KSL 01/21/13 - 06:29 pm
Apparently

Not as many as FedEx would have you think.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/21/13 - 07:40 pm
Great Post KSL

So accurate and true. All the posting, comments, letters and all the feelings of Americans no longer mean a cotton picking thing with the inauguration of this Mental Ill human that now controls us all.

I have been up to this day been highly against abortion. As much as I am sorry to say, I am now all for it. Why, with tears in my eyes, I can no longer see a new generation being born in this RIP country and have to endure what other children in past history in other countries who lived under the same type of leadership that we now are faced with.

We are no longer the "Land Of The Free".

KSL
KSL 01/21/13 - 08:12 pm
I thought the article was

I thought the article was particularly interesting given the author lives in Hawaii.

Darby
Darby 01/21/13 - 09:49 pm
Obama said today America must not rest until....

"all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia to the quiet lanes of Newtown, know that they are cared for, and cherished, and always safe from harm."

Funny, no mention at all of his hometown, Chicago where kids are gunning down other kids in record numbers on a day to day basis. Maybe he could have done something about that before he left.

"Fair is foul, and foul is fair". Macbeth- (Quote Act I, Scene I)

Just say'n, you know???

Darby
Darby 01/21/13 - 10:59 pm
"....how many more tragic scenario's

like this are needed?"

The answer of course is NONE.

On the other hand, quoting from and referencing to the Huffington Post reminds me of that insurance company ad with the really dumb blonde who says, they can't put anything on the Internet that isn't true."

Bonjour, ya'll..

KSL
KSL 01/21/13 - 11:25 pm
Impressed

With her taste in dates. NOT.