It's up to us

In gun debate, it's not government's job to reshape society

We appreciate President Obama’s sentiments for a safe society, particularly for children.

Moreover, his plan for gun control sounds innocuous enough – and conservatives’ fears that he’d shred the Constitution in his 23 executive orders either were overblown, or perhaps convinced him to tread lightly.

Still, the problem with the White House reaction to the Sandy Hook massacre is twofold: 1) it’s unlikely to reduce gun violence, particularly since the vast majority of the violence occurs on city streets, often with illegal guns, and 2) it will only increase the size and reach of the federal government leviathan.

In other words, the attempt by the White House to drill down into American society to unprecedented and impossible depths may accomplish little else than further bloating the bureaucracy.

No amount of bureaucracy, no scurrying about by an emboldened officialdom, would’ve prevented a deranged young man from exacting carnage in Newtown, and it won’t stop anyone else.

What it will do is further poke the government’s nose into our business – even going so far as to press our doctors to have that little gun talk with us.

We fear, then, that should the president’s laundry list be enacted, the country will be less free and no more safe.

The Department of Homeland Security is already stirring, as is the Department of Health and Human Services and other federal agencies.

One recommendation the president made that we agree with is the need to empower schools to have armed security. When that was first proposed by the National Rifle Association, of course, the notion was scoffed at.

Furthermore, the president’s call for a Centers for Disease Control study on the causes and prevention of gun violence – though there are likely plenty of existing studies – may produce conclusions Mr. Obama and his left-leaning supporters find uncomfortable. If the study is honest, it will no doubt conclude that guns don’t cause violence – but that many other societal factors do. And many of those societal factors are the direct descendants of liberal policies and loose cultural mores.

They will also find that assault weapons are very rarely used in crime.

We urge this president and all who would lead us not to try to use government to radically alter American society, particularly after only a few weeks of closed-door meetings.

There are things the government can and should do, especially regarding mental illness and guns. We don’t suppose any of the perpetrators of mass shootings in recent years have been quite right in the mind.

But the real heavy lifting will have to be done by Americans themselves. Government can’t create the kind of society we want. That’s up to us.

It has to start with an honest, dispassionate examination of what really ails us.

allhans
allhans 01/19/13 - 03:08 pm
I see your point myfather,

I see your point myfather, but I listen to Dr Krauthammer and I think he is on to something............

harley_52
harley_52 01/19/13 - 03:54 pm
The Weapons Used At Sandy Hook...

....included an AR-15 and two handguns. One of the handguns was a Glock and the other a Sig Sauer. A fourth gun, a shotgun, was found in the trunk of the car he had driven to the school and was never used inside the school.

myfather15
myfather15 01/19/13 - 04:46 pm
@allhans

Dr. Krauthammer is a very smart man, I hope he is right.

@Harley: At first, I also heard the AR-15 was used, along with 2 handguns. But they are now saying that 4 handguns only were found inside the school. Do I know exactly which guns he used? Of course not, I just have to go by the information I get. The link I posted was only one of the places I got my information. I read several other articles giving the same information about the 4 handguns. Who knows if we will EVER know. Seeing that both sides would have reasons to skewer their reporting.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/19/13 - 05:35 pm
If an AR-15 is an assault

If an AR-15 is an assault weapon, and a weapon of war,as the left claims, then why does no army on Earth use them?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/19/13 - 05:59 pm
Because Angela

the AR-15 is a clone of the AR-16 minus a select lever to allow full-automatice fire.

Jake
Jake 01/19/13 - 09:46 pm
Personal note from Newtown

My wife and I finally got a personal note from Laura who was a Physician Assistant graduate from MCG with my wife in 1989. Her child was in the school at Newtown at the time and if the killer had of turned right instead of left then he would of most likely killed children in her class room and maybe her child. Put your weapons where the sun doesn't shine as far as I am concerned.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 01/19/13 - 09:54 pm
I'll keep my weapons right

I'll keep my weapons right where they are thank you....I have a few suggestions of what you could hide from the sun, shall I enlighten you?

harley_52
harley_52 01/19/13 - 10:11 pm
"Put your weapons where the sun doesn't shine....

....as far as I am concerned."

More insults again tonight, eh Jake?

specsta
specsta 01/19/13 - 10:12 pm
@Humble Angela

Wow, you must REALLY, REALLY like me to use so many of my quotes in your writings. I am flattered.

KSL
KSL 01/19/13 - 10:39 pm
Jake

I have a better suggestion. If you have a mentally disturbed offspring, get them help. And for God's sake, don't keep weapons where the disturbed can get at them.

KSL
KSL 01/19/13 - 10:50 pm
Based on what I have read, I

Based on what I have read, I believe the family has some responsibility. But that goes against progressive thought, doesn't it? If your under aged daughter gets pregnant, it's the taxpayers's responsibility, not yours, no matter how financially well off you are.

harley_52
harley_52 01/19/13 - 10:52 pm
That's A Fine Idea....

KSL. It may well have presented the mass murder.

But Jake would rather blame and insult those who embrace the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution than actually suggest something germane to the issue as you have done.

This current controversy has nothing to do with the killings at the school. Nothing that has been proposed by the government would have stopped the killings at Sandy Hook.

It's the way liberals think and act. Logic and reason are overwhelmed and replaced by emotion

carcraft
carcraft 01/19/13 - 11:02 pm
Specstra still has not

Specstra still has not provide any data or research to support his earlier post!

KSL
KSL 01/19/13 - 11:30 pm
Harley

You are right. We have no way of knowing what I suggested would have prevented those murders. But what we do know is that the crime was not perpetrated by one of the legal and responsible gun owners in this country. The criminals and mal-doers will not stop their behavior. So what is the rush to punish the responsible law abiding citizens unless the real motive is to disarm the American people as did former despots around the world disarm their countries first.

harley_52
harley_52 01/19/13 - 11:32 pm
"So what is the rush to punish....

....the responsible law abiding citizens unless the real motive is to disarm the American people as did former despots around the world?"

It's an agenda thing.

It's a step towards disarming all American citizens. It's big government. It's part of the movement to eliminate personal freedoms in favor of "the common good." In it's purest form it's totalitarianism and communism.

Oddly enough, most of the people who support it don't even realize it. They get caught up in the emotional smokescreen that is perpetuated by those who are actively working to destroy our government and our economic system.

KSL
KSL 01/20/13 - 01:19 am
It's pretty naive for this

It's pretty naive for this administration to think that the criminals would gladly be disarmed. Actually they know full well or they never would have attempted Fast and Furious. Even more reason their own supporters should be wary of them, especially if they don't understand of yet, who they are actually supporting.