Bottom Line: Sheriff's gala

It was highly unusual, perhaps even unprecedented, and we’re not sure why he did it.

Then again, why not?

The inaugural gala for new Sheriff Richard Roundtree was a smashing success by any measure, and we’re glad he did it.

It was something of a unity dinner, with folks from all areas of the community attending – including former campaign rival and still-employee Maj. Scott Peebles, as well as elected officials, business people and civic activists.

It was a great chance for those who could afford the swanky black-tie affair to show their support for the county’s first African-American sheriff ever. In addition, it raised money for five area charities.

Hours later, Roundtree was walking the streets, shaking hands and establishing a presence.

It was a nice start to a historic era.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/13 - 06:18 am
Some Need to Stop Whining

I thought so, too. Yes, he does appear to be off to a good start with the Harrisburg foray. Some other media apparently are going out of their way with the help of a few disgruntled employees to complain about anything the new sheriff does. The latest whining is about who can officially speak to the media.

But the most mind boggling comment I heard was by a commentator who said Scott Peebles was the best candidate for the job and it’s proven because Roundtree kept and even promoted him. He said Peebles would not have allowed Roundtree to even work for the RCSO. Does that make any sense at all? Doesn’t it prove Roundtree is a good leader because he didn’t fire Peebles?

It all reminds me of my Army days when a new commander would take over the unit from a charismatic one such as Ronnie Strength. We moaned about it for awhile until we adjusted and got back to our mission. Adapt and do your job. It is about the mission whether you like the leader or not.

The two people I supported in the election didn’t win. Not much I can do about it except get behind the new sheriff. Remember the Rueben Greenberg example in Charleston of a black police chief doing such a great job his techniques were used all over the country. He went among the people in the low income areas where much of the crime was on an almost daily basis. He was tough, but the people respected him. Roundtree appears to have learned going among the people brings a new, positive element.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/08/13 - 11:47 am
A positve black father figure?

A disciplinarian. Yes. Yes. Sounds good. A proven leader of men and women. But how does he replace the ill gotten gains of the criminal element? Hey guys, lets stop the stealing and killing. Lets keep our privates in our pants except in a committed relationship. Lets beat out guns and knives into plows and plant a community garden where all can share in the bounty that God provides. Lets all join AA for drugs and alcoholism. Lets complete a 12 year course of education, get a job and provide for our own family.

So Ronnie Strenth did everything wrong? Can't be both ways. The Strenth way is wrong. The Roundtree way is right. So who is the hero? Both had parties and were touted as the greatest. Bologna. Political BS.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/08/13 - 11:49 am
If memory serves me correct, Shaft only

kicked white arses. Shaft took down the corrupt white political structure.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/08/13 - 02:50 pm
Yeh, but it's the "tough"

Yeh, but it's the "tough" part I am waiting to see. THEN I will say we might have something here. All of this kissy face and glad-handing is really neat and everyone has a tingle running down their leg but we have seen THAT before haven't we. Time to move on from the "historic" election and into the show me state. I hope Roundtree turns out to be a great sheriff but I would have been more impressed if he had matter of factly put on his work clothes and passed on the "yeh, I'm the man" black tie gala. But that's just me. I don't guess it hurt anything.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/13 - 06:42 pm
Today's Meeting

The controversy going on today is the meeting the RCSO had with the media this afternoon. Apparently, a handful of RCSO people are bat foaming, at the mouth, mad that they are not allowed to get up in front of the cameras and act as the face of the department. Realize, the face of the department is something the Sheriff, as the leader of the county law enforcement, decides. Public information is an important part of a department and not to be done in a haphazard way.

What this is all about is jealousy that some will no longer be able to play roles they imagine themselves in. Plus, you have those in the media who think they should be privy to inside information, while trying to talk-up their friends in the RCSO.

What I’m seeing is former supporters of Silas, Ivey and Sanders getting behind the new sheriff. They should be thanked. Those trying to usurp the Sheriff should be told to get in step. Remember this is the second time in a week that some have tried to make a mountain out of a molehill. The other issue was two officers being assigned to drive and go with Roundtree into Harrisburg.

Really, let's all calm down and get this thing rolling to help Roundtree work his team and plans. I believe he can significantly reduce crime in the county.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/08/13 - 09:28 pm
River, as a "hands on

River, as a "hands on technical type" I have to say you're truly amazing at PR work. I believe you could sell snow cones to Eskimos.
But much like dichotomy states, "Es hora de dejar de hablar y muéstranos el dinero".

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/13 - 11:49 pm
Well, dang, Willow

Well, dang, Willow, it ain't like I dig ditches for a living. Heh. Here you are calling me a Madison Ave. ad writer selling snow to Eskimos when the truth is I'm here to fight for truth, and justice, and the American way. Okay, so I fantasize and wear a Superman cape when I comment.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/09/13 - 12:15 am
heeey, well, I said you were

heeey, well, I said you were high tech; shoulda added high class, high tech. I didn't want to give away the complete truth...you'd have to relocate you'd be in such demand:)

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/09/13 - 01:22 am
I think the gala was nice.

I think the gala was nice. Tickets seemed costly for the 'general' public but other than that...