Bottom line

President Obama campaigned on a “balanced” approach to deficit reduction. He promised collaboration with Republicans.

Then he got re-elected, and the game changed.

Now the president is offering a deficit reduction plan that tilts almost completely in the direction of tax increases, leaving only vague hope of unspecified spending cuts off in the future.

Let’s be clear: This country has a spending problem, not a revenue problem. Mr. Obama’s vaunted taxes on the wealthy would produce eight days of federal operating cash. That’s it. Nor would they put a dent in the nation’s $16 trillion debt or its $1 trillion annual deficits.

Given that spending is the problem, the president is failing the nation and going back on his word to seek a balanced plan that both sides could live with.

He owes the electorate more than that. He owes this nation a sincere effort to find common ground with Republicans. That has to include spending cuts, particularly for out-of-control entitlements, which will be eating the budget alive in the coming years.

This newspaper has encouraged Republicans to budge, and we ask the president to do the same.

The fiscal cliff is ever nearer.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/12 - 07:45 am
Could Be A Beautiful Thing

We could look in each other’s eyes and jump hand in hand from the green zenith to the waves below. As we sink down into the darkness and end, still hand in hand, our air gone... suddenly the current catches and propels us upward to the surface into the bright sunshine, gasping for air, where we are tossed by a white capped wave to another wave and then another. We awake on the beach, exhausted, alive and new…together. Jumping off the cliff could be a beautiful thing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/01/12 - 08:17 am
I have to agree RM

Jumping off the cliff could be a beautiful thing.

Don't fear it---rejoice in it.....we need a good washing.....even a fox will jump in the river to get rid of lice-fleas...☺

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/01/12 - 08:18 am
Believe me

They will be singing "Who's sorry now"

Jane18
Jane18 12/01/12 - 08:23 am
Trust Is Proven, Earned

Come on AC, you didn't believe him when he made those promises, did you? Really? When someone has been given everything, especially money, never had to work for it, they naturally spend, spend, spend. The concept of cutting back, budgeting, is foreign to this type person. Plus, when there is an agenda, planned long ago by haters of The United States, that is what must be worked on and accomplished. I said four years ago America was going to be brought down, well, I'd say we are down on one knee already, and certain people will not be happy until the other knee bends. People, that is a broken, begging position......................................

Techfan
Techfan 12/01/12 - 08:44 am
As I posted yesterday, when

As I posted yesterday, when has the the AC, or anyone on the right suggested the GOP move toward the Democrats after the GOP won? Somehow, no matter how slim the win (or in 2000, even a loss in the popular vote) it's declared a mandate and right wing policies should be started immediately with no compromise. They've won "political capital" and intend to use it. Obama won. The Democrats picked up seats in the House and Senate. They had more votes for Democrats in the House nationwide, but due to gerrymandering, held on to the House. The GOP has lost the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 elections. What more does it take for the GOP to see that its policies have been rejected. Tell Boehner, Cantor, McConnell, and the rest of the whiners on the right to sit down, shut up, and get out of the way. If the GOP wants to keep using cloture votes and the filibuster to block legislation in the Senate, make them stand at the podium and talk 24/7. YOUR SIDE LOST! GET OVER IT!

Techfan
Techfan 12/01/12 - 09:00 am
Oh, I left out that the

Oh, I left out that the President and Democrats offered a 10 to 1 spending to revenue increase ratio and the GOP said no. Obama finally learned that when he took a step toward the GOP side, they took one step back and when he reached across the aisle, he got his hand bitten. Now it's his game. Make the GOP come to him or let the take the blame for the consequences. Tell Grover Norquist to stop being a "poopy pants" and shut up. If he wants influence, let him run for office. The is not a monarchy, the GOP shouldn't give precedence to a egomaniacal jerk that insists they swear allegiance and pledge allegiance to him over the oath they took to run this country. Give Grover the boot. Of course the GOP's been trying to sabotage the country and economy for 4 years to try to bring down Obama, why would they stop now? It's traitorous, but that's the GOP for you.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/01/12 - 09:25 am
Compromise

They will either do it or we all will lose.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/01/12 - 11:26 am
Techfan......"Oh, I left out

Techfan......"Oh, I left out that the President and Democrats offered a 10 to 1 spending to revenue increase ratio and the GOP said no."

Nice try but, as usual you fail to tell the truth or the whole story. Read Bob Woodwar's book. Obama queered that deal by trying to add another $500 billion in tax increases AFTER Boehner had agreed to the previous conditions. Boehner told him to stick it in his ear and I sincerely hope he tells him the same thing again if there are no REAL, IMMEDIATE spending cuts to go along with the tax increases and NO MORE WASTED STIMULUS SPENDING.

wayne2410
wayne2410 12/01/12 - 10:41 am
A couple in here has already

A couple in here has already said what we should do. We need to go over the cliff they are talking about, it would hurt at first but in the long run it would be the best thing this country has done economically in a long time.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/01/12 - 11:19 am
I say

JUMP!

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/01/12 - 11:52 am
The sequestration deal looks

The sequestration deal looks MUCH better than more of Obama's mad hatter spending and another $50 billion in "stimulus" gifts to his Democrat supporters. Obama is nothing more than a typical Chicago crooked politician spreading Chicago style graft of taxPAYER money to his Chicago style buddies and unions while telling Chicago style lies to his not too bright lower middle class supporters who think they are going to get something free.......which they ain't and they are too dumb to realize that THEY are the ones who are going to get the bill for all of this. The "rich" people had you beat before your election night hangover wore off Wednesday morning after the election no matter what happens with sequestration. Nice try but NO Oreo for YOU unless you buy them with your food stamps either way.

I sincerely hope Boehner adjourns the House, goes on a golfing vacation, and puts "call me maybe" on his cell phone as the ringtone for for the White House and his voice mail message.

eagle
eagle 12/01/12 - 03:02 pm
Obama and the Dems aren't

Obama and the Dems aren't going to do anything but spend money. By the way, hope Obama is enjoying his Hawaiian vacation...on our money!!

OJP
OJP 12/01/12 - 03:25 pm
Does anyone have at least one example of the ACES calling for a

Republican President to move to the left following his reelection?

That's the appropriate equivalence standard.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/01/12 - 04:52 pm
Dichotomy is correct.

Letting the tax rates revert plus sequestration spending cuts are much more preferable than the White House's offer for extending unemployment benefits plus a new $50 billion in stimulus. The White House's offer is fiscal insanity.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/01/12 - 05:18 pm
I truly believe...

That we all lose because we don't have a party that cares for anyone but themselves...why are lawmakers allowed to pass any laws that they themselves do not have to follow? Our government has become a joke...no matter your party.

burninater
burninater 12/01/12 - 05:34 pm
Jane18, you understand that

Jane18, you understand that the budget bomb is entitlements, not handouts, right? Social Security and Medicare obligations are underfunded. Is it your position that people who have worked all their lives, paying into SS and Medicare, are people that "have been given everything"? "This type of person" -- are you intentionally describing everyone currently, and expecting to, collect SS and/or Medicare? Because sheesh, that's just about EVERYONE, even YOU, I'd wager.

burninater
burninater 12/01/12 - 08:30 pm
Let me explain the mindset of

Let me explain the mindset of me, any many like me, that have been labeled lazy socialist wealth enviers because we didn't support a continuation of "supply"-side policy.

Work history: Odd jobs/mowing lawns from age 12. First real job at 16, part-time after school. Part-time through two years of college, full-time until returning to school at 30. Part-time as I put myself through college, full-time since graduation.

I, and people like me and most of you, build this country. I think it is just that my labor be worth more than some, and less than others, based on the value of my labor.

Do I think my labor should be 231 times more valuable than another person working as much as me? No. Do I think it accurately measures relative contributions, or relative worth of individual labor? No. $6,500/hour? Get real.

What do I think it represents? It represents individuals in positions of power that allow them to tailor policy, and tailor legality, to funnel a disproportionate level of wealth to themselves. Wealth, mind you, generated by the labor of ALL hard-working Americans. Just because a person has positioned himself at the nozzle of the hose doesn't mean that he or she created the water coming out. Do I think this wealth should be distributed equally? No. Do I think a distribution that has an average CEO making 300x an average worker is inherently corrupt? Yes.

Fast-forward to SS and Medicare shortfalls. A 300x pay disparity really is not my business, AS LONG AS THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTED TO THE GENERATION OF THAT WEALTH HAVE SUFFICIENT EARNINGS TO LIVE A RETIREMENT THAT AT LEAST MEETS THEIR BASIC NEEDS. This is the crux of the issue. Funnel as much of that wealth into your bank accounts and your illegal tax havens as you want -- just not at the expense of those who helped create that wealth. When that point of greed is reached, it is time to push back. You were unable to create a pay structure that allowed for adequate funding of our retirement entitlements? Fine. We will take it at the ballot box, in the form of taxes to offset the shortfall.

Call this envy, socialism, whatever you want. I call it 100% avoidable, if greed hadn't produced such disparate pay structures. More importantly, I, and a majority of Americans, call it just.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 12/01/12 - 07:48 pm
Interesting...the average

Interesting...the average worker makes $83,200?

burninater
burninater 12/01/12 - 08:28 pm
Good catch Gage, fixed it

Good catch Gage, fixed it based on average CEO pay of $12.94 million/year. $6500/hr, which doesn't change the underlying argument.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 12/01/12 - 08:42 pm
What of

What of athletes..."artists"... and the like? Should they make the outrageous dollar amounts they command? Who decides?

KSL
KSL 12/01/12 - 09:48 pm
I never see liberals complain

I never see liberals complain about the excessive amounts entertainment and athletic celebrities make. They only complain about company executive incomes. Why the double standard?

SC Speaker Harrell quits, pleas guilty

COLUMBIA - Suspended South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell has pleaded guilty to six campaign fiance violations and agreed to resign from office.