Still no budget?

U.S. Senate setting a pitiful fiscal example.

If Patty Murray were a private-sector CEO instead of a U.S. senator, would her approach to budgeting be the same?

“No need to write a budget,” she might tell her fellow company executives. “Let’s just raise prices and get more money from customers. We can look at expenses later. Maybe.”

Such a strategy would drive a company into bankruptcy. Short-term infusions of cash might put the day of reckoning off, but ultimately the negligence and mismanagement would be the end of things.

Governments are different than companies, certainly. But they’re not exempt from the laws of economics.

After three years in which the Democratic-led U.S. Senate hasn’t even tried to produce a federal budget, Sen. Murray, D-Wash., appears to be taking a similarly cavalier manner to her expected position of Senate Budget Committee chair.

Murray, who would replace retiring Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota as the powerful committee chair, told The Hill newspaper “that she cannot commit to doing a budget.” Instead, she says it’s important to just concentrate on getting the wealthy to pay more in taxes.

Murray, notably, also was a lead Democrat on the bipartisan so-called “Super Committee” that earlier this year failed to reach agreement on a deficit reduction plan – which put us nearer the fiscal cliff Washington is now trying to avoid at the 11th hour.

If you don’t know where you’re going, one supposes, any road will take you there.

How can this nation get its fiscal act together if the upper chamber – supposedly the more deliberative one – refuses to even write an annual budget?

How can they get away with this? Why would the American people allow it?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/26/12 - 06:30 am
so??? they havent passed a

so??? they havent passed a budget in 3 years now going on what looks like 4 years. that is a scandal..the debt we incur each year is a scandal. the waste fraud and duplication in the federal budget is a scandal..why we should send them one more dime when they cant pass a budget or wisely use the taxes they have NOW would be another scandal..and the biggest scandal is those who want more taxes without accountability. money down a rat hole is still money down at rat hole. DEMAND.a prudent and wise govt. that is responsible and good stewards of the money they take... b/4 giving them more.

carcraft
carcraft 11/26/12 - 06:31 am
Obama's budgets have been so

Obama's budgets have been so bad that not even the Democrats will suport them!

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/26/12 - 07:52 am
who says dims and rep. cant

who says dims and rep. cant get along the last 3 obumler budgets were voted down on the average 97-0. so when theres common ground the 2 parties do actually come togeather....but again to the libs why should DC get anymore tax dollars when they so mismanage whatwe send them already...where is the liogic?? where is the rational??? someone please explain this to me

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/26/12 - 08:11 am
Where's the liberals

Where's the liberals defending the Democrats for their abject failure to pass a budget? Where's the ones that want to blame the "obstructionalist" Republicans (who have actually passed several budgets, but Reid won't allow a vote on them.)

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/26/12 - 09:51 am
Have you ever met a Democrat

Have you ever met a Democrat who can balance a checkbook? We all know they just apply for another credit card as long as someone will give them one and when they finally get cut off they go bankrupt. They run the country the same way. Our credit has been downgraded twice already and bankrutpcy looms around the Obama $20 trillion mark. Don't bother taking that vacation to Greece 'cause Greece is coming to you.

allhans
allhans 11/26/12 - 09:58 am
It's good to see grouse post

It's good to see grouse post the law and what it entails...
He made no mention though of Obama's failure to follow the law...
..I wonder why he didn't finish.

allhans
allhans 11/26/12 - 10:05 am
Soul Train awards on BET

Soul Train awards on BET "

JAMIE FOXX: First of all, give an honor to God and our lord and savior Barack Obama. Barack Obama.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/11/26/jamie-foxx-calls-o...

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/26/12 - 10:16 am
Alhans...that speaks volumes

Alhans...that speaks volumes for his supporters. It's not just him...did you hear the cheering?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/26/12 - 02:34 pm
To the worshippers of Grover,

To the worshippers of Grover, that non-elected by anyone, giver of sanctifying pledges. How on earth did the author of the article attached ever get so wealthy with an attitude and thinking like his? Hmmmm?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/26/12 - 11:17 am
ra why should anyone be in

ra why should anyone be in favor of taxing more considering the govt. propensity to waste it..wisely spend it, no fraud or duplication..then we can talk if there are need afterwards.

Jane18
Jane18 11/26/12 - 11:38 am
Obama....A Cursing?

My comment is in response to Jamie Foxx giving thanks. We, as a nation, were promised blessings if we would follow and do as we had been instructed. But, we were also told of cursings if those instructions were not obeyed. We are paying for the disobedience of some, and the now leader of the most blessed country on this planet is proof of that. I know it doesn't seem fair for those that have tried to do the right thing, have loved and obeyed(to the best of our ability), but as always, the good have always had to suffer because of those that choose to do contrary to GOD's Will and what is right. The one thing we can count on and trust, is, there is a plan by GOD. What is so satisfying to me is, Obama and the ones that follow him, are all being used, and they don't have a clue!! Just as one bad apple can ruin a barrel of apples, and it does, if someone comes along and removes the good apples, something very good becomes of them! Hopefully, some of you understand this analogy.....Just to let you know, I am not judging anyone, but I do have the right to discern(separate, perceive, recognize clearly). Any of you that are offended by my comment(and I don't mean to), do yourself a favor and don't say anything that may be held against you at another time........................

allhans
allhans 11/26/12 - 01:16 pm
Did I miss something? "the

Did I miss something? "the worshippers of Grover"... Did somebody actually call Grover the lord and savior..?

Frankly I have never liked the man and I carry a TEA party card. I don't think he could get 51% of conservatives to vote for him.

allhans
allhans 11/26/12 - 01:24 pm
4 years and 2 months from now

4 years and 2 months from now Obama will move his family to the 40 million dollar mansion in Hawaii....
After a short while there, expect to see him in a global position of power while we, the poor Americans he left behind, will be here trying to clean up the debris.

carcraft
carcraft 11/26/12 - 07:58 pm
Well it seems some Democrats

Well it seems some Democrats do want a God despite rejecting the true God at theit convention, they seem to want a lesser god, BHO!

burninater
burninater 11/26/12 - 08:34 pm
I'm having a hard time

I'm having a hard time deciding if I'm more creeped out by people calling a real person or a guy in a book "their savior."

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/26/12 - 09:10 pm
The best thing conservatives

The best thing conservatives can do now is to refuse to have any part of the process, no budget and all. The wealthy should go into safe mode, let their businesses run at no profit or even a bit of a loss on purpose to avoid taxes, hide as much as their money as they can overseas and lay low for awhile. Us common working folks are going to have it harder, we need to hunker down for a bit, don't spend any money we don't have to towards the economy and maybe purposely lower our incomes if we can afford it to lower their revenues. We also need to arm ourselves and stock plenty of ammo and supplies to hold out for awhile so we will be ready for the inevitable. When the economy tanks and their money runs out we all know they will be the first ones in the streets looting their little liberal heads off. Then we can finally finish this mess for good, it sounds awful but it is coming, the liberals have been begging for it for years. We need to be ready to give it to them, in spades.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 11/26/12 - 09:17 pm
Credit to Living Colour

"I know your anger, I know your dreams
I’ve been everything you want to be
I’m the cult of personality"

"I exploit you still you love me
I tell you one and one makes three
I’m the cult of personality"

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 08:06 am
That "guy in a book" is an

That "guy in a book" is an historical figure, who appears in several texts other than just one book.

burninater
burninater 11/27/12 - 10:32 am
That "guy in a book" is an

--------
The identical statement could be made of any of the Greek gods, who appear in a multitude of historical accounts.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 10:48 am
You are correct....and I do

You are correct....and I do my best not to insult people who believe in them, out of respect. It's part of that tolerance that the left is always preaching. :-)

burninater
burninater 11/27/12 - 01:41 pm
I appreciate the sentiment

I appreciate the sentiment HA, but let's not mistake what is meant by tolerance. Tolerance is ensuring that a person's beliefs, lifestyle, ethnicity, gender, do not produce different treatment under the law. It is not a declaration that all people must view all diversity of lifestyle, descent, or beliefs as equally valid. I don't care if you think my beliefs make me nutty, or if I feel the same of yours, unless and until that different perspective produces a different treatment under the law. I work with, and respect, the abilities of a wide diversity of people. They know exactly how I feel about their belief systems, and vice versa, and we all respect each other's right to live as equals. That respect for equal treatment does not mean that we all have to pretend we think everyone else has made wise choices in their lifestyles and beliefs.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 02:05 pm
Sorry. I assumed that

Sorry. I assumed that tolerance included treating people with respect, even if you don't worship the same way that they do. I don't call someone else's God "a figment of their imagination", or "just a person in a book", or "big daddy in the sky" or any of the other deragatory terms I have heard used. It's just simple respect.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 11/27/12 - 10:02 pm
If you have to qualify

If you have to qualify respect, is it still respect?

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...