Scouts' honor

Don't impose politically correct conformity on proud youth organization

Conventional wisdom – which is often neither of those things – has it that social conservatives are intolerant.

But it’s the politically correct crowd that today is increasingly seeking to punish those with traditional values.

They tried to hurt Chick-fil-A financially when one of its senior officers merely stood up for man-woman marriage in an interview. Some big-city officials even tried to assert that the restaurant would be banned from their towns – even while they welcomed many other businesses, churches and other institutions that also believe in traditional marriage.

Of course, the attempt to injure a good and civic-minded family business backfired; it only inspired more people to eat there.

Now shipping company UPS’s philanthropic arm has decided to stop giving to the Boy Scouts of America because of the youth organization’s ban on gay Scout leaders.

In other words, if your organization doesn’t conform to my organization’s view of what social policy should be, you’re off the island.

How sad for America and its youth. Now, organizations that don’t conform to politically correct doctrines are being shunned.

By extension, organizations that adhere to traditional principles are being expected to change those ideals in order to be socially acceptable. The message is, you can believe whatever you like – as long as you believe what we believe.

Companies are obviously free to associate with whomever they see fit.

burninater
burninater 11/19/12 - 05:04 pm
ICL, I fully understand your

ICL, I fully understand your position.

However, have no doubts that one person's "morally proper" is another's obsession with how consenting adults utilize their genitals. These two stances are irreconcilable it seems.

harley_52
harley_52 11/19/12 - 06:03 pm
"The beauty of a free country....

....is that the BSA can choose one stance, and UPS can choose not to fund that stance. That the ACES would seek to curtail that freedom is unsurprising."

I agree with your first sentence above. I would add, however, that part of that same beauty is that I can/will consider UPS's decision to influence my choice in shippers next time I have a package to ship.

As to your second sentence above, I find it both amusing and typical the way you choose to mischaracterize the ACES' comments on this issue. They are not trying to "curtail" UPS's "freedom" here at all (as you claim), but merely lamenting the choice made by UPS in particular and what's happened to American society in general. A position with which I most heartily agree.

burninater
burninater 11/19/12 - 06:30 pm
ACES: "Companies are

ACES: "Companies are obviously free to associate with whomever they see fit.
Upstanding organizations such as the Boy Scouts no longer have that right, apparently."

Me: The beauty of a free country is that the BSA can choose one stance, and UPS can choose not to fund that stance. That the ACES would seek to curtail that freedom is unsurprising.

Harley: " I find it both amusing and typical the way you choose to mischaracterize the ACES' comments on this issue."
-------
Harley, I see how you are reading this. This is how I read it:

The ACES explicitly states that the rescinding of funding by UPS creates a situation wherein the BSA has lost the right of free association. By trying to cast this as such, the ACES is making the case that the BSA is being denied a basic constitutional right by UPS' funding decision, implying that the funding decision is the cause of this loss of a protected right. Actions that prevent others from exercising their constitutional rights are, by definition, acts to be curtailed.

Perhaps there is a compromise position here, Harley. Perhaps I am as correct in saying the ACES seeks to curtail UPS' freedom as the ACES is correct in saying the BSA has lost the right of free association.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/19/12 - 06:52 pm
@Harley

"agree with your first sentence above. I would add, however, that part of that same beauty is that I can/will consider UPS's decision to influence my choice in shippers next time I have a package to ship."

Yep Harley, that freedom to support whom you choose does cut both ways doesn't it?

harley_52
harley_52 11/19/12 - 07:28 pm
I Spent...

...about five years in the Boy Scouts in the mid-late 50s. My training, associations, and experiences as a Cub Scout/Boy Scout were important to my values and ethics ever since. I never heard the slightest suggestion that there was any homosexual/child molesting activity around my groups and I would have quit (or my parents pulled me out) immediately if there had been.

Homosexuality and child molesting are totally contrary to what the Boy Scouts used to stand for. Both are deviant, anti-social behavior and injurious to the traditional American family which used to be the fundamental building block of our society.

That is before "progressives" became so influential.

burninater
burninater 11/19/12 - 08:03 pm
Really Harley? Progressives

Really Harley? Progressives want to introduce child molestation to the Boy Scouts?

Do people HONESTLY believe this rubbish?

myfather15
myfather15 11/19/12 - 08:38 pm
Not necessarily, but hard

Not necessarily, but hard line leftists don't believe in judging an individuals personal decisions, no matter what that decision is. That may not be condoning it, but it certainly isn't condemning it either. Ask NAMBLA, considered by many to be a legitimate left wing organization.

harley_52
harley_52 11/19/12 - 09:07 pm
"Do people HONESTLY believe this rubbish?"

I can't speak for anybody other than myself, but I HONESTLY believe it.

And there's ample evidence to substantiate that belief. Myfather15 mentions NAMBLA and there's no doubt "progressives" (ACLU) openly support their agenda.

Progressives openly support (even flaunt and celebrate) open homosexuality throughout society. They don't believe any aspect of sexual immorality should be discouraged.

I think my position is reasoned and substantiated.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 11/19/12 - 10:40 pm
In 100 years

In 100 years people will read this thread and look at it they same way we look at the Salem witch trials. They will conclude that the majority of augusta, GA sided with tradition rather than facts and reason. That in itself, is rather sad.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/20/12 - 07:34 am
(Father4Time) "My point being

(Father4Time) "My point being is this...if you want a PRIVATE organization you can exclude whomever you want (see the Augusta National for reference). When you recieve tax dollars and public money you cannot. Doesn't matter what your morals are or aren't you cannot impose those on others who do not agree with you."

Oh yes they can. Every day, secular morals are imposed on Christians who follow Christian morals. It is just the way it is and will always be until Christ returns. Christians deal with secular immorality every day (just look around) but you let a Christian bring up something they feel is improper and mercy we are met with a barrage of criticism, insult, and accusations.

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/20/12 - 08:14 am
ICL

It should work both ways...unfortunately it doesn't

David Parker
David Parker 11/20/12 - 10:01 am
"the traditional American

"the traditional American family ... used to be the fundamental building block of our society"

I always thought it was sweat and a pure heart, WOW was I off the mark. So everybody who doesn't fit within the "traditional" template is dead weight? or worse right?

Trinity on the Hill holds annual God and Country Celebration
On Sunday, Sgt. Jim Dover - along with 25 other World War II veterans - were recognized for their service at the annual God and Country Celebration at Trinity on the Hill United Methodist Church.