Scouts' honor

Don't impose politically correct conformity on proud youth organization

Conventional wisdom – which is often neither of those things – has it that social conservatives are intolerant.

But it’s the politically correct crowd that today is increasingly seeking to punish those with traditional values.

They tried to hurt Chick-fil-A financially when one of its senior officers merely stood up for man-woman marriage in an interview. Some big-city officials even tried to assert that the restaurant would be banned from their towns – even while they welcomed many other businesses, churches and other institutions that also believe in traditional marriage.

Of course, the attempt to injure a good and civic-minded family business backfired; it only inspired more people to eat there.

Now shipping company UPS’s philanthropic arm has decided to stop giving to the Boy Scouts of America because of the youth organization’s ban on gay Scout leaders.

In other words, if your organization doesn’t conform to my organization’s view of what social policy should be, you’re off the island.

How sad for America and its youth. Now, organizations that don’t conform to politically correct doctrines are being shunned.

By extension, organizations that adhere to traditional principles are being expected to change those ideals in order to be socially acceptable. The message is, you can believe whatever you like – as long as you believe what we believe.

Companies are obviously free to associate with whomever they see fit.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 11/19/12 - 02:22 am
Just wondering

In 1965, did the Augusta chronicle refer to supporters of the civil rights movement as "politically correct" (or whatever the term was back then)? I suspect the AC and most of its readers were not in favor of the civil rights act. In 2012, if UPS cut off the boy scouts because they didn't allow black leaders, the chronicle would be incensed over it. 1865: AC on the wrong side of history. 1965: AC still on the wrong side of history. 2012: AC STILL on the wrong side of history. I beg those who comment on this editorial, please don't quote the bible. Thanks. I just find selectively relying on Old Testament rules about sexual behavior to be repugnant in modern times.

Techfan
Techfan 11/19/12 - 04:39 am
Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff 6/22/97

"The Southern Baptist Convention now joins several other church bodies in urging a boycott of Walt Disney Corp. products and parks. Critics are quick to say this tactic is unrealistic in trying to force Disney to stop promoting the homosexual lifestyle. But if a religious denomination isn't supposed to speak and act as a moral force in society, who else will?.....The surprise is that it took the Southern Baptists this long to react."

Techfan
Techfan 11/19/12 - 05:17 am
"RELATED STORIES"

UPS ends grants to Boy Scouts over discrimination
Local Scout leaders among those in 'perversion files'
'Perversion files' show leaders covered up Boy Scout abuses

"organizations that adhere to traditional principles (such as pedophilia and hypocrisy ) are being expected to change those ideals in order to be socially acceptable."

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 11/19/12 - 07:12 am
and more hypocrisy from the

and more hypocrisy from the AC....and so it goes.

myfather15
myfather15 11/19/12 - 08:34 am
It isn't about a single

It isn't about a single organization or group. It's about the lefts attempts to completely rewrite history and culture to fit their agenda. They claim ALL the "Ol white guys" were racist, sexist, bigotted homophobes. They rewrite history, basically lying to fit their agenda. Thereby making anyone who has traditional values a racist, bigot, sexist or homophobe. It's brilliant and working exceptionally well. I wish it weren't working so well, but the majority of people in this Country aren't like you and I, going onto political threads and spouting our opinions. Most people in this Country are completely oblivious to the events in this world and could care less about politics. They just want to live a quiet, peaceful life, free of the strain of political bias. Unfortunately, that opens them up to believing whatever they hear in the lamestream media. The old saying stands true to this day "If you don't stand for something, you WILL fall for anything." The left controled media has been bashing into peoples heads for decades that "Times they are a changing." If you're don't agree with their philosophy, you're a bigot, racist homophobe, period. People, especially the youth have started buying into it and "Changing" to conform to political correctness pressure. It's a crying shame people are so willingly ignorant.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/19/12 - 08:41 am
MR can believe whatever he likes....

"The message is, you can believe whatever you like – as long as you believe what we believe."

Astoundingly wrong. No, the message is "you can believe anything you like," just don't expect us to pay for it!

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/19/12 - 08:50 am
right?

"Upstanding organizations such as the Boy Scouts no longer have that right, apparently."

Baloney!! When organizations accept financial donations they enter a market where contributors are free to "buy" ideas and principles they like and not buy what they don't like. It's like a box of cereal: the shopper who buys brand X but not brand Y is making a free and rational choice.
The shopper isn't saying brand Y has no right to promote its product; she's just saying I choose not to buy it. ACES and MR, you do remember "free markets," don't you???

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/19/12 - 09:08 am
EEL

Why is the cereal "shopper" a female? Latent sexism?

woodymeister
woodymeister 11/19/12 - 09:12 am
Boycott

Let's all boycott UPS throughout the holidays. Then they might understand what is considered repugnant.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 11/19/12 - 09:13 am
I think some men shop for

I think some men shop for cereal.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/19/12 - 09:23 am
palmetto

I know..right?

David Parker
David Parker 11/19/12 - 09:28 am
Mobs...the new leverage

Mobs...the new leverage

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/19/12 - 09:32 am
Oath

Do people take oaths seriously anymore? Should we teach our children to take promises seriously? Should adults demonstrate to children that oaths should not be sworn, promises should not be uttered unless you intend to keep the promise?

In the Scout Oath, recited at many Scout meetings, are the following words:

"On my honor I will do my best to . . . keep myself . . . morally straight."

The Scout leaders need to be good examples to their charges. They do not need to be hypocrites.

UPS must do what it believes in. If they take their donations away from the Scouts, so be it. The money is not as important as keeping one's promise.

Jane18
Jane18 11/19/12 - 09:34 am
Don't Need The Old Testament For This

"Politically Correct" usually means "Morally Wrong"! And Giantsallday, that's just common sense, if we, as a people still have any morals!

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/19/12 - 09:41 am
sexism....

"Why is the cereal "shopper" a female? Latent sexism?"

Hardly, JTF. Let's just say it's personal....

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/19/12 - 09:44 am
straight?

LL: "UPS must do what it believes in. If they take their donations away from the Scouts, so be it."

So you reject the position ACES takes in this editorial???

Of course by boldfacing "straight," you weren't implying....were you???

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/19/12 - 10:12 am
Scout Promise

I must not have made myself clear. Let me try again.

If the Scout organization has knowledge that a Scout leader is homosexual, then it would be their duty to insist he leave the organization because of his hypocrisy.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 10:20 am
To Compare

Cereal - Free Market - gay Boy Scout leaders is beyond words to print.

It would be a Cold Day in Hell to allow one of my Grand sons to join the Boy Scout if they were having gays as leaders. How can some say that our children are ok to be placed on the Meat Department because they are nothing but products of "The Free Market" for those that are gay. How can any mind think this way....Sick!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/19/12 - 10:38 am
Sugguestion

Businesses and Actors stay out of Political and moral causes and make $$Million$ more.

Very Few Actors have any thing that resembles common morals and only hurt themselves by ticking off 50% of the fans, when they open their mouths on such subjects.

Any business that supports Uncommon Moral or political causes that naturally would tick off 50% or more of their customers. Should replace the CEO/CFO's and publicists for such stupidity stands.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 10:37 am
No Political Correctness

No Political Correctness Intended.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 10:48 am
Now

We have 2!

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/19/12 - 11:11 am
Giantsallday

You cannot compare skin color to perverted sexual behavior. Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/19/12 - 11:23 am
"morally straight"??

LL: "It would be hypocritical for a homosexual Scout leader to lead his charges in promising to be morally straight."

Actually you have not made yourself more clear. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume by "morally straight" you mean "morally upright." The inference must be that you consider homosexually to be morally "crooked," deviant. Your right, no doubt. But I hope you agree that it is my right, as it is UPS's also, not to support such a view and to withhold financial support from any organization advocating it.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/19/12 - 11:26 am
Cobalt

If I were gay I would find your comments offensive. I am not, but I still find your posts offensive. Don't worry, I will not "flag" them. I will leave flagging to the thin-skinned readers who occasionally flag mine....

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/19/12 - 12:01 pm
I'm amazed. Some of the same

I'm amazed. Some of the same people who screamed for the entire Penn State faculty to be punished, Paterno to be wiped out of the history books, and their sports program to be efffectively eliminated "to ensure this never happens again" now are in favor of making homosexuals Boy Scout Troop Leaders. Let's see....hmmmm.....what do you think the increase in the odds of sexual abuse occurring in scouting programs would be if the Boy Scouts opened the flood gates to homosexual troop leaders? Maybe we should have given Penn State a diversity award and a stimulus loan. In 5 years these same liberals, including the leadership of UPS, would be screaming for $billion dollar fines against the Boy Scouts when the first story broke about a troop leader abusing boys in his troop or an organized ring of abusers within the organization. I can see the headlines now..."Boy Scount Jamboree Turns Into Scout Swap Orgy".

I'm sure some responders are already typing the word "homophobic" in their comment. I really don't care what homosexuals do in private or even if they are allowed to get married. But I would not knowingly sign my son over to one for an evening every week, a few weekends a year, or a whole week once a year. The odds make me cringe.

The Boy Scouts made the right decision here and UPS, entitled to do what they wish with their money, made the wrong decision for the purpose of appearing to be politically correct. Creating havens for homosexuals with captive audiences of impressionable kids is just a bad idea......just ask the Catholic church. No offense to Chatholic beliefs intended but the facts are the facts.

Bottom line is what half of you already know.....we have lost our freaking mind.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/19/12 - 12:19 pm
Bottom line....

Dichotomy: hard to know where to start with your post. But not impossible. Let's start with Mike Sandusky, a perverted child abuser and STRAIGHT! If you do just the slightest bit of research so your assertions and inuendos are based on actual data, you will find rather quickly that statistically there is essentially no difference in the percent of adult male child abusers who are straight and who are gay. In other words, THERE IS NO GREATER CHANCE THAT A YOUNG BOY WILL BE ABUSED BY AN ADULT HOMOSEXUAL MALE THAN BY AN ADULT HETEROSEXUAL MALE. You make not like the truth, but truth is, so the odds that make you "cringe" do not in fact exist.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/19/12 - 01:19 pm
"Baloney!! When organizations

"Baloney!! When organizations accept financial donations they enter a market where contributors are free to "buy" ideas and principles they like and not buy what they don't like."

I have to agree with EEL on this point.

I don't support groups with whom I disagree, and Corps should not have to either. The Scouts can and will survive just fine with support from like minded people.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/19/12 - 01:20 pm
EEL....I disagree entirely. I

EEL....I disagree entirely. I did do a little research and found that there are some studies and statistics to refute your unquoted "actual data" and unquoted statistics.

I guess it comes down to who I believe and my gut instincts. I will readily admit that I have never been accused of changing my views for the sake of political correctness.

I contend that any adult male who's object of sexual activity revolves around young males is a homosexual regardless of what lifestyle he is leading for public consumption. Sandusky was a latent homosexual who preferred young boys. He may have had affairs with adult males too but that is not against the law and was never looked at very closely. If you are telling me that Sandusky was merely a run of the mill child abuser, I contend that he was a homosexual child abuser and therefore more liable to abuse when provided with a large selection of young males.

If you are inferring that "out of the closet" homosexuals are safer to lead groups of young boys, I would not bet my son on it and I would not send him off to join a group that does. I don't want Jane Fonda for my infantry platoon leader and I don't want a male homosexual leading my son's Boy Scout troop.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/19/12 - 01:32 pm
frc

dichotomy: so your source is the Family Research Council, the rabidly far right Christian group? Excuse me, my facts must be wrong....

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 11/19/12 - 01:53 pm
Why is it that...

As a Scoutmaster of 12+ years, I understand the Scouting program fairly well. This didn't start with Chick-fil-a or UPS. It started with United Way, which is itself an organization which depends on donations to survive. Why is it that so many groups and organizations are becoming so active against decent moral values? These truly must be the end times... Scouting has always been a safe haven for young impressionable boys. Where else are they to go? There is so much talk about the "perversion files", what do you think is going to happen if you allow gay leaders in? I for one stand up for what I believe, and I will back the Scouting program's decision to continue to teach good moral values and be the best youth program around.

Commission to discuss administrator position

Two significant city appointments return to the forefront at a regular Tuesday meeting of the Augusta Commission. Commissioner Ben Hasan, just appointed to the District 6 commission seat last ...