Scouts' honor

Don't impose politically correct conformity on proud youth organization

Conventional wisdom – which is often neither of those things – has it that social conservatives are intolerant.

But it’s the politically correct crowd that today is increasingly seeking to punish those with traditional values.

They tried to hurt Chick-fil-A financially when one of its senior officers merely stood up for man-woman marriage in an interview. Some big-city officials even tried to assert that the restaurant would be banned from their towns – even while they welcomed many other businesses, churches and other institutions that also believe in traditional marriage.

Of course, the attempt to injure a good and civic-minded family business backfired; it only inspired more people to eat there.

Now shipping company UPS’s philanthropic arm has decided to stop giving to the Boy Scouts of America because of the youth organization’s ban on gay Scout leaders.

In other words, if your organization doesn’t conform to my organization’s view of what social policy should be, you’re off the island.

How sad for America and its youth. Now, organizations that don’t conform to politically correct doctrines are being shunned.

By extension, organizations that adhere to traditional principles are being expected to change those ideals in order to be socially acceptable. The message is, you can believe whatever you like – as long as you believe what we believe.

Companies are obviously free to associate with whomever they see fit.

Upstanding organizations such as the Boy Scouts no longer have that right, apparently.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 11/19/12 - 02:22 am
Just wondering

In 1965, did the Augusta chronicle refer to supporters of the civil rights movement as "politically correct" (or whatever the term was back then)? I suspect the AC and most of its readers were not in favor of the civil rights act. In 2012, if UPS cut off the boy scouts because they didn't allow black leaders, the chronicle would be incensed over it. 1865: AC on the wrong side of history. 1965: AC still on the wrong side of history. 2012: AC STILL on the wrong side of history. I beg those who comment on this editorial, please don't quote the bible. Thanks. I just find selectively relying on Old Testament rules about sexual behavior to be repugnant in modern times.

Techfan
Techfan 11/19/12 - 04:39 am
Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff 6/22/97

"The Southern Baptist Convention now joins several other church bodies in urging a boycott of Walt Disney Corp. products and parks. Critics are quick to say this tactic is unrealistic in trying to force Disney to stop promoting the homosexual lifestyle. But if a religious denomination isn't supposed to speak and act as a moral force in society, who else will?.....The surprise is that it took the Southern Baptists this long to react."

Techfan
Techfan 11/19/12 - 05:17 am
"RELATED STORIES"

UPS ends grants to Boy Scouts over discrimination
Local Scout leaders among those in 'perversion files'
'Perversion files' show leaders covered up Boy Scout abuses

"organizations that adhere to traditional principles (such as pedophilia and hypocrisy ) are being expected to change those ideals in order to be socially acceptable."

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 11/19/12 - 07:12 am
and more hypocrisy from the

and more hypocrisy from the AC....and so it goes.

myfather15
myfather15 11/19/12 - 08:34 am
It isn't about a single

It isn't about a single organization or group. It's about the lefts attempts to completely rewrite history and culture to fit their agenda. They claim ALL the "Ol white guys" were racist, sexist, bigotted homophobes. They rewrite history, basically lying to fit their agenda. Thereby making anyone who has traditional values a racist, bigot, sexist or homophobe. It's brilliant and working exceptionally well. I wish it weren't working so well, but the majority of people in this Country aren't like you and I, going onto political threads and spouting our opinions. Most people in this Country are completely oblivious to the events in this world and could care less about politics. They just want to live a quiet, peaceful life, free of the strain of political bias. Unfortunately, that opens them up to believing whatever they hear in the lamestream media. The old saying stands true to this day "If you don't stand for something, you WILL fall for anything." The left controled media has been bashing into peoples heads for decades that "Times they are a changing." If you're don't agree with their philosophy, you're a bigot, racist homophobe, period. People, especially the youth have started buying into it and "Changing" to conform to political correctness pressure. It's a crying shame people are so willingly ignorant.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/19/12 - 09:08 am
EEL

Why is the cereal "shopper" a female? Latent sexism?

woodymeister
woodymeister 11/19/12 - 09:12 am
Boycott

Let's all boycott UPS throughout the holidays. Then they might understand what is considered repugnant.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 11/19/12 - 09:13 am
I think some men shop for

I think some men shop for cereal.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/19/12 - 09:23 am
palmetto

I know..right?

David Parker
David Parker 11/19/12 - 09:28 am
Mobs...the new leverage

Mobs...the new leverage

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/19/12 - 09:32 am
Oath

Do people take oaths seriously anymore? Should we teach our children to take promises seriously? Should adults demonstrate to children that oaths should not be sworn, promises should not be uttered unless you intend to keep the promise?

In the Scout Oath, recited at many Scout meetings, are the following words:

"On my honor I will do my best to . . . keep myself . . . morally straight."

The Scout leaders need to be good examples to their charges. They do not need to be hypocrites.

UPS must do what it believes in. If they take their donations away from the Scouts, so be it. The money is not as important as keeping one's promise.

Jane18
Jane18 11/19/12 - 09:34 am
Don't Need The Old Testament For This

"Politically Correct" usually means "Morally Wrong"! And Giantsallday, that's just common sense, if we, as a people still have any morals!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/19/12 - 10:12 am
Scout Promise

I must not have made myself clear. Let me try again.

It would be hypocritical for a homosexual Scout leader to lead his charges in promising to be morally straight.

If the Scout organization has knowledge that a Scout leader is homosexual, then it would be their duty to insist he leave the organization because of his hypocrisy.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 10:20 am
To Compare

Cereal - Free Market - gay Boy Scout leaders is beyond words to print.

It would be a Cold Day in Hell to allow one of my Grand sons to join the Boy Scout if they were having gays as leaders. How can some say that our children are ok to be placed on the Meat Department because they are nothing but products of "The Free Market" for those that are gay. How can any mind think this way....Sick!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/19/12 - 10:38 am
Sugguestion

Businesses and Actors stay out of Political and moral causes and make $$Million$ more.

Very Few Actors have any thing that resembles common morals and only hurt themselves by ticking off 50% of the fans, when they open their mouths on such subjects.

Any business that supports Uncommon Moral or political causes that naturally would tick off 50% or more of their customers. Should replace the CEO/CFO's and publicists for such stupidity stands.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 10:37 am
No Political Correctness

No Political Correctness Intended.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/19/12 - 10:48 am
Now

We have 2!

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 11/19/12 - 11:11 am
Giantsallday

You cannot compare skin color to perverted sexual behavior. Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/19/12 - 01:19 pm
"Baloney!! When organizations

"Baloney!! When organizations accept financial donations they enter a market where contributors are free to "buy" ideas and principles they like and not buy what they don't like."

I have to agree with EEL on this point.

I don't support groups with whom I disagree, and Corps should not have to either. The Scouts can and will survive just fine with support from like minded people.

Gary Ross
Gary Ross 11/19/12 - 01:53 pm
Why is it that...

As a Scoutmaster of 12+ years, I understand the Scouting program fairly well. This didn't start with Chick-fil-a or UPS. It started with United Way, which is itself an organization which depends on donations to survive. Why is it that so many groups and organizations are becoming so active against decent moral values? These truly must be the end times... Scouting has always been a safe haven for young impressionable boys. Where else are they to go? There is so much talk about the "perversion files", what do you think is going to happen if you allow gay leaders in? I for one stand up for what I believe, and I will back the Scouting program's decision to continue to teach good moral values and be the best youth program around.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/19/12 - 02:04 pm
I think a lot of the

I think a lot of the confusion and suspicion comes from the FACT ( I have looked this up before for the same argument, but don't have the inclination for that kind of digging now) that:

1. A high percentage of pedophiles are also homosexual.
2. A low percentage of homosexuals are also pedophiles.

Think about it, those two statements are not mutually exclusive as homosexuals outnumber pedophiles by a large margin. That said, there is room to argue that pedophilia RATES may not differ much between homosexuals and heteros. I won't argue that either way because I've never seen the research.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/19/12 - 02:05 pm
"I contend that any adult

"I contend that any adult male who's object of sexual activity revolves around young males is a homosexual regardless of what lifestyle he is leading for public consumption."

EEL, are you saying that an adult male who's object of sexual attraction revolves around young male children and young male adults ISN't a homosexual???

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/19/12 - 03:19 pm
Ummmm you do realize

That even though gays have been never been allowed to lead or participate in the BSA (or the Catholic Church) you still have instances of child molestation. In fact so many that they have been covered up for years and are now costing at least one of these organizations lots of money. I don't care what your sexual orientation is...I don't know and I don't care, but the one thing I do know is this. It's not the homosexual leaders of either of these organizations that you have to worry about. It's the ones that hide behind heterosexuality and use these organizations as a hunting ground to use the innocent for their deviant purposes. That has nothing to do with anyone being a homosexual. It has more to do with using the issue of homosexuality to further someone's agenda. My point being is this...if you want a PRIVATE organization you can exclude whomever you want (see the Augusta National for reference). When you recieve tax dollars and public money you cannot. Doesn't matter what your morals are or aren't you cannot impose those on others who do not agree with you.

allhans
allhans 11/19/12 - 03:52 pm
Comical? I find it anything

Comical? I find it anything but. Sick humor maybe...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/19/12 - 04:09 pm
Diversion

Burninater posted:

. . . other people's genitals and how they use them with other consenting adults is. . . .

We were not talking about consenting adults. We were talking about Boy Scouts (and Cub Scouts) being led by homosexual Scout leaders.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/19/12 - 04:11 pm
EEL, are you saying that an

EEL, are you saying that an adult male who's object of sexual attraction revolves around young male children and young male adults ISN'T a homosexual???

EEL response: "yes, but don't believe me, do the research...."

Well EEL according to the definition of what a Homosexual is " A person who is sexually attracted to people of their own sex." seems to me this is pretty self explanatory and looks like you are WRONG.

myfather15
myfather15 11/19/12 - 04:25 pm
Again, another thread where

Again, another thread where the conservatives are trying to use common sense to rationalize with far leftists. Yes, I'm guilty of it myself sometimes but that's also why I don't post on the AC near as much as I used too. I get tired of arguing with people that possess absolutely zero common sense.

Just like this argument about Sandusky. Someone hear is actually trying to say Sandusky is STRAIGHT, although every one of his victims were male youth. Ooooh, I'm sure they will try to guide me to some website of the higher educated, that explains that pedophiles and sexual offenders aren't gay just because they choose victims of the same sex. I guess since he was married he is bi-sexual, huh? But this person didn't claim he is bi-sexual in their post, they said he is STRAIGHT. This is exactly what drives me up the wall with liberals. They try to over explain/over analyze everything. Then they tell us we need to also or we aren't educated enough to understand. We are just stupid simpletons who need them to think for us. Sorry, but when a MAN molests numerous little BOYS, I wouldn't consider him straight, AT ALL!!!

burninater
burninater 11/19/12 - 04:29 pm
LL. Where's the diversion?

LL. Where's the diversion? What a person does with their genitals with other consenting adults has nothing to do with leadership capabilities.

Childish adults obsessed with other peoples' genitals may think so, but luckily society as a whole is generally getting better at growing up and keeping their sex-obsessed noses out of other peoples' business.

burninater
burninater 11/19/12 - 04:38 pm
Apparently Mr. Moores feels

Apparently Mr. Moores feels that referring to adults obsessed with how consenting adults use their genitals as "childish" is potentially offensive to some of the readers of the Chronicle.

My apologies to any and all readers who believe that obsessing about how consenting adults use their genitals is a mature behavior.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/19/12 - 04:38 pm
(burninater) "Childish adults

(burninater) "Childish adults obsessed with other peoples' genitals " Ohh, nice way to politely insult someone.

(burninater) "What a person does with their genitals with other consenting adults has nothing to do with leadership capabilities."

I beg to differ. When someone's conduct (whether sexual or not) goes against what I believe to be morally proper, then I'd say their leadership capabilities faulter some. If my son is involved with an organization/school where I feel the leader is not promoting the best moral conduct then I do believe their influence on an young impressionable mind is questioned.

This would be no different than if my daughter was in an organization/school where a female teacher's sexual conduct was less than proper and moral. Sure wouldn't want a hussie teaching my daughter moral characteristics and leadership if she's not representing it herself.

Same with a son who's scout leader/teacher/coach is not living up to the standards of moral characteristic that our family lives by.

Man sought in Evans parking lot attack
Columbia County authorities are trying to find the man who last week reached into a vehicle window, grabbed its driver by the throat and threatened him outside an Evans Neighborhood Wal-Mart.