A party in crisis

Republicans must look hard to find the problem and fix it

In sports, they say that winning can sometimes serve only to cover up a team’s shortcomings.

The same might be true for a political party or even a nation.

In losing the election Tuesday, the Republican Party has had its considerable flaws exposed.

The depth of the loss wasn’t breathtaking, but the breadth of it was sweeping. Few expected a battered and reeling president who is presiding over the worst economy in generations to win in an electoral landslide.

By that measure, the outcome was, as Mr. Obama once described his 2010 midterm rebuke, a “shellacking.”

One cannot discount the media’s role in it. They gave the president a pass on innumerable problems, from the lies over Libya, to Fast and Furious, to billions in losses on Democrat-crony green energy clunkers, to his handling of the economy, and even to a dismal response to Hurricane Sandy – although history will record the storm as a net plus for the president, based essentially on fleeting images of him strolling the devastation with a Republican governor.

“I’m so glad we had that storm last week,” a jubilant Obama-cheering Chris Matthews of MSNBC even said after the election. He later apologized.

All the while, the working press smiled blithely as President Obama bypassed them to campaign on safe, friendly, nurturing talk shows.

America re-elected him based mostly on how he makes his supporters feel – and how his campaign was able to make them feel about Mitt Romney. Republicans tried to win on the issues. We see, now, which approach wins presidential elections.

In addition, liberal Democratic policies of bloated social programs – even as Medicare and Social Security and the rest of the federal government are headed for insolvency – attract large constituencies that are all-too-happy to wallow in the short-term security of big government. Never mind the cost to future generations!

Conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh concluded Wednesday, “Conservatism, in my humble opinion, did not lose last night. It’s just very difficult to beat Santa Claus.”

He’s right and he’s wrong. It is hard to beat a guy giving out free stuff. But he’s wrong about conservatism. It lost on Tuesday. Any conservative who tells himself otherwise is whistling past the graveyard, and only putting off conservatism’s necessary soul-searching.

Conservatives – this page among them – believe our principles of self-reliance, individual responsibility, liberty, thrift, morality and more are what made America great, and are what’s needed to make us great in the future. But on Tuesday – the one day in our lifetimes that a conservative message should have prevailed – it was rejected.

Wake up! Either the message or the messenger needs changing.

Moreover, liberal crowing since Tuesday that Republicans have problems connecting with minorities, women and youths is absolutely indisputable.

The Republican Party is in crisis.

It had better figure out what’s wrong with the conservative message or how it’s being put forth. At the same time, the party had better figure out how to appeal more to African-Americans, Latinos, women and youths.

Meanwhile, Democrats also should be mindful of the “winning covers up shortcomings” adage. They need to be careful not to overstate their mandate from Tuesday; a media darling was re-elected amid an unprecedented (in this country) cult of hero worship. The jury is still out on its overall judgment of liberal orthodoxy – though why it is, heaven knows: It’s been in full bloom in major American cities for decades of Democratic rule. How’s that working out?

And will the media ever tell that story?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/12/12 - 08:33 am
tech plllleeezze

You have the same thing....,Chris Matthews ...duh

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/12/12 - 08:34 am
Gaining the Support of the Young

Okay, to go along with trying to garner young people's support for Republicans by becoming pro-moonshine and pro-marijuana also throw in a provision to make it legal to skate board anywhere there is concrete. Wrong way on an interstate full of 18 wheelers if they want.

justthefacts
19954
justthefacts 11/12/12 - 08:41 am
Why bother

If you think the country is at a point where the Republicans should become Democrats "light" to win, why bother? Were not people saying the same thing during the Clinton administration? What happen? The Republicans won the next two elections. Conservatives can't just, overnight, give up on protecting babies, can they? I hope not.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 08:43 am
"The church doesn't have to

"The church doesn't have to buy contraception. When they go into business and have employees, they have to follow the same regs as everyone else for those employees."

And you CAN'T violate their first amendment rights...no matter how much the intollerent left want to.

justthefacts
19954
justthefacts 11/12/12 - 08:43 am
Wow

An obama supporter calling someone untruthful. haha.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 08:46 am
"I don't know. Romney came

"I don't know. Romney came close and pretty much everything that came out of his mouth was a lie."

Other than the fact that your statement violates the terms of posting here, is there ANY chance you care to back that up with some proof?

From the terms of posting....

Do not post material that:

is defamatory, threatening, disparaging, grossly inflammatory, false, misleading, fraudulent, inaccurate, unfair, contains gross exaggeration or unsubstantiated claims, violates the privacy rights of any third party, is unreasonably harmful or offensive to any individual, community, association, group or business.

TParty
TParty 11/12/12 - 08:49 am
"And you CAN'T violate their

"And you CAN'T violate their first amendment rights...no matter how much the [intolerant] left want to."

Tell that to Mormons that practice polygamy.

TParty
TParty 11/12/12 - 08:50 am
Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 08:51 am
Ok TParty.....I will. I

Ok TParty.....I will. I don't think their first amendment rights sould be violated either. Do you?

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 08:53 am
"About Romney Lying." Pretty

"About Romney Lying." Pretty sure that isn't "pretty much everything that comes out of his mouth." A gross exageration, in violation of the rules of this site. Besides....sould we try to match 2 for one all the lies Obama told....but the left seems to have NO problem with that.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/12/12 - 08:55 am
soul-searching???

Too funny, and totally predictable. MR starts by alluding to the Republican party's "considerable flaws," but then spends the next 8 paragraphs bashing Democrats! Then a couple of paragraphs were he makes a few general comments about minority voters--nothing specific, of course, then ends with another slam of Democrats. The poor guy--he just can't help himself! But that's ok with me. The longer the right is preoccupied with insulting the left, the longer the right's "flaws" will go uncorrected, and the longer MR and ACES will have to make excuses for losing elections!

TParty
TParty 11/12/12 - 08:57 am
"I don't think their first

"I don't think their first amendment rights [should] be violated either."

Actually I do think there should be a limit, for instance you should look up what some Rabbi's here in America do to infant boys after performing a circumcision.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 08:57 am
I guess you haven't had a

I guess you haven't had a chance to read the comments of the left's preoccupation with insulting the right, EEL.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 08:58 am
Not that it makes it any

TParty
TParty 11/12/12 - 08:59 am
"About Romney Lying." Pretty

Here are more though.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 09:01 am
"Files sizes can only be so

"Files sizes can only be so big. Romney is a liar, who will say whatever anyone wants to hear, depending on the audience."

And how is Obama different?

TParty
TParty 11/12/12 - 09:01 am
"Not that it makes it any

"Not that it makes it any better, TParty, but I doubt the Rabbis can do any worse to babies than planned parenthood does."

I guess I'm weird because I think sexual assault of infants is much worse than a woman going to plan parenthood for health care reasons.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 09:02 am
I'd rather be sexually

I'd rather be sexually assaulted than killed.....maybe I'm just weird.

TParty
TParty 11/12/12 - 09:03 am
Obama lies, of course-

Obama lies, of course- because he is a politician. However what Romney does, only Bachmann could compete with.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 09:05 am
So it's ok when Obama lies,

So it's ok when Obama lies, because he's a politician....but the standard is different for Romeny and Bachmann. I see.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 09:30 am
Techfan
Techfan 11/12/12 - 09:11 am
Picky picky picky. Sort of

TParty
TParty 11/12/12 - 09:12 am
Well, Humble A- "you CAN'T

Well, Humble A- "you CAN'T violate their first amendment rights...no matter how much the [intolerant] left want to."

You said it yourself. Your words, your stance.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 09:15 am
TParty, when did I accuse YOU

TParty, when did I accuse YOU of being in favor of sexual assault?

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 09:17 am
Besides...if practicing your

Besides...if practicing your religion violates someone else's rights, you have crossed the line....enough debate with you. Like I said....if you are that offensive, there is no point.

TParty
TParty 11/12/12 - 09:18 am
Since I'm not- I don't know.

Since I'm not- I don't know. However there are religious practices here in America, where Rabbi's perform sexual assault on infants. And you said it yourself. "You CAN'T violate their first amendment rights...no matter how much the [intolerant] left want to." Again, your words and your stance.

Techfan
Techfan 11/12/12 - 09:18 am
Nope, I agree, they all lie.

Nope, I agree, they all lie. I disagree with many of Obama's choices and position changes. He just beat the heck out of the alternative.

Humble Angela 11/12/12 - 09:19 am
"Picky picky picky. Sort of

"Picky picky picky. Sort of like a sore loser might be. I did say "pretty much" and since he changed his position so frequently at least one had to be a lie. So, Position A, Position B, or he didn't state what his position really was. 2 out of 3 had to be a lie."

Techfan....why do you NEVER criticize Obama for his numerous proven lies?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/12/12 - 09:23 am
I thought I was just

I thought I was just circumcised when I was a baby. Now come to find out I was sexually assaulted.

Techfan
Techfan 11/12/12 - 09:26 am
Dang, TParty, you're making

Dang, TParty, you're making me wince. Goodnight all.

URA votes to issue bonds for Municipal Building renovation

Augusta's Urban Redevelopment Agency agreed Thursday to issue nearly $27 million in revenue bonds to raise up to $28.5 million in cash for ongoing renovations and a new information technology ...