What's new is old again

New Augusta Commission includes throwback to bad old days

Tuesday’s election looks like a net win for the Augusta Commission – so far – despite an odd step backward in one race.

New commissioners Mary Davis in District 3 and Donnie Smith in District 7 will add voices of calm, reason and camaraderie to a post-consolidation commission that has never seen an excess of any of those qualities.

But in Super District 9, voters inexplicably returned Marion Williams, after his inglorious past service in District 2 from 2000-07, when, as one local media outlet put it, Williams became the living symbol of commission bickering, infighting, and gridlock.”

Williams may have returned through name recognition alone; a Chronicle story recently called him “probably one of Augusta’s most recognizable politicians.” His opponent, Harold Jones, is not nearly as well known, though he was formerly the county’s solicitor-general.

Williams promised he hasn’t mellowed – a clear signal he will attempt to drag the commission and the city into unproductive contretemps once again. In fact, he seems to view his election as a mandate to do exactly that.

“The people elected me last night; they asked me to run again,” he said Wednesday. “They know what Marion Williams is all about and they chose to do that.

“I’ve been like this all of my life.”

“They’re going to argue over useless stuff, more than they do now,” term-limited and outgoing District 7 Commissioner Jerry Brigham said after Williams’ ascension. “I think Augusta is heading toward a rough spot politically.”

That’s like saying Sisyphus has a rock to push. Been there, done that.

Still, one observer told us Williams may be less likely to create turmoil on this edition of the commission. And, indeed, Commissioner-elect Smith has already reached out to Williams to find common ground.

“I think he comes back to a completely different commission,” the observer said of Williams.

We hope so, anyway.

Pray the good feelings among the other commissioners cancel out any attempt to go back to the bad old days.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/09/12 - 08:27 am
There is a role for Marion

There is a role for Marion Williams. Too bad he wasn't here when the TEE fiasco started.

jpbrig
jpbrig 11/09/12 - 09:56 am
Riverman he was

Riverman Marion Williams was that when the fiasco stated.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/09/12 - 09:59 am
Ha...JPBrig, you're right.

Ha...JPBrig, you're right.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/09/12 - 01:56 pm
We already knew what kind of boulder Williams was and will be

What we didn't realize was the depths of the quarry from which his super-district backers must have crawled simply to reach the polling place. One has to wonder if they brought scraps of paper with "M-A-R-I-O-N W-I-L-L-I-A-M-S" scrawled on it and instructions to "press on the box with those letters in it".

dichotomy
32080
dichotomy 11/09/12 - 02:13 pm
Yeh, we know too.

“They know what Marion Williams is all about and they chose to do that"

Yeh, we know what you are all about too.

"Hey, let's build a drag strip in South Augusta where my son-in-law owns the property across the street and is already trying to get a concessionaires license."

"Hey, I'll vote for that redevelopment deal 'cause I own a church there that I want to sell to the city for 5 times what it is worth after I leave office."

Yeh, we know what he is all about. But I am sure we have 5 districts that would vote for Charles Walker and Ed McIntyre if they were still around too. Proof positive that gaining the voting majority does not necessarily mean that the population has made any progress toward getting smarter.

This editorial speaks to the impact of having Williams back on the commission. Yes that is a significant negative. But the real story here is the significance of the mentality, or lack thereof, of half of the population of Richmond County that would put Williams back in office. That speaks volumes as to why RC is the laughing stock of the state and why everything the commission touches is always a MAJOR screw up for the taxPAYERS.

For those who say things will be better when the mayor, sheriff, and the majority of the commission are black......not if they can't find anyone better than the ones we've got now. I'm not saying there are not capable people in the local black community. I'm just saying that apparently, either they don't run for office or the black community prefers to elect grandstanding clowns and rabble rousers. The jury is still out on our womanizing, income tax challenged new sheriff.

And I am not saying the white commissioner are any better. I think most of them are lining their pockets. If we had an independent newspaper with real reporters who could follow the money and see whose buddies and relatives are tied up in real estate transactions, etc. I think most of us would have a stroke. But this article is about Williams and he his exactly what we DON'T need. Welcome back to the future South Richmond County. The bill for your share of the messes made by our consolidated crew of crooks and idiots will be coming in the mail, hidden in your illegal property tax bill, illegal garbage bill, illegal fire tax bill, and mismanaged and wasted school tax bill. So now you can also worry about Marion wanting to sell us another church or wanting to put a drag strip in your back yard for your enjoyment on your quiet weekends. Please let us know if Williams' son-in-law shows up trying to buy any property.

harley_52
harley_52 11/09/12 - 03:58 pm
It Might Be Worthwhile...

....for citizens of Augusta to spend a little time looking into the history of East St. Louis, Illinois. I grew up a few miles from there and there are (or should be, anyway) some lessons to be learned.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/09/12 - 05:21 pm
Harley

East St. Louis looks like it's fallen apart like no other city I've heard of. There are similarities, no doubt, with Augusta. The problem here is the rest of the county is joined with the city. Things would appear much worse statistically if the 150,000 population in the suburbs wasn't included as part of the city. For the sakes of our South and West Augusta friends, there should be a mechanism to reverse consolidation. Anyone doubt how that vote would go?

harley_52
harley_52 11/09/12 - 05:35 pm
"For the sakes of our South and West Augusta friends....

....there should be a mechanism to reverse consolidation."

I doubt there is one, at least not a practical one. I think hindsight allows many of us to see where mistakes were made, but as the saying goes "it is what it is," or, alternatively, "it be what it is" depending on your style.

Given the situation, and particularly after the last election, I don't think times are going to get any easier for Augusta. Maybe Azziz and the Regents really are visionaries. I have to say, given all of Countyman's reports of planned investments/developments, things must not look too grim to businesses and developers and as long as they're willing to bet their money on Augusta growth, we should encourage it with open arms and cooperative mindsets.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/09/12 - 06:09 pm
Harley, I believe the CSRA

Harley, I believe the CSRA will be compartmentalized more as time passes. As a whole we are strong and each cog in the wheel is important. The per capita income and demographics of Richmond Cty don't match the other areas, but they have the major employers and industries paying taxes. There's lots of money there.

Somehow maybe all this will work out. By the way, I suggested many years ago the arts community should be given empty buildings to expand as a catalyst downtown and that was implemented and I believe helped immensely. Downtowns are becoming entertainment, restaurants and arts communities in cities all over the country. Geez, ME, an old Army guy, talking about art. Heh.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/09/12 - 10:09 pm
Looks like they are pandering...

Kissing Mary's butt (they did not endorse her) and acting like Donnie Smith will close the gap with Williams based on "good intentions." HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Can't wait to talk to Donnie after about six months...bet his sunshine and lollipops routine will be tempered with some political reality of being on the commission. Best learn to count to six Donnie, good luck.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...