The wrong track

Voters who re-elected Obama kept America on an unsustainable path

“Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.”

– John F. Kennedy

Your world changed. Overnight.

There can be little doubt that America will be a different country in the years ahead than it has been historically. New rails have been laid on the collectivist track we’ve been put on, and the engineer has been told to go full speed ahead.

How goofy is this: NBC reports that a majority of voters polled after they voted Tuesday said the country is “seriously off on the wrong track.” But they voted to stay on it!

The class-envy mentality that encourages taking from others and expanding government handouts has been given a green light – just two years after a 2010 election in which the country was lurched in the opposite direction, toward fiscal sanity and self-reliance.

That’s a nation that doesn’t know what it stands for.

At best, what it stands for has changed utterly, and perhaps unalterably. John F. Kennedy’s legendary inaugural exhortation to think of country first has been flipped on its head. Today, we are encouraged to ask what our country can do for us, with money borrowed from our children and those yet to be born.

That’s immoral.

A country, by the way, that is already $16 trillion in debt and facing $60 trillion or more in future costs for Medicare and Social Security and Medicaid and other promises.

A country in which nearly half the population pays no federal income taxes – many of whom actually receive payments, money taken from a shrinking productive class.

A country facing huge tax increases so deftly hidden in the weeds of the thousands of pages of Obamacare that few see them coming.

Those around the world who see only a telegenic, charismatic leader who diminishes and downplays America’s role in the world may celebrate, but perhaps unaware of what his promised fundamental transformation of this country may end up looking like. Those world citizens whose lifestyles depend on a strong America may end up not liking the new transformation after all.

This country is not on a sustainable track. It is on the same track that is taking Western Europe over the edge. It turns out that we’re no more resistant to the allure of “other people’s money.”

At some point, as Margaret Thatcher warned about the pitfalls of socialism, we will run out of other people’s money.

That day has only been pushed closer.

loblolly
loblolly 11/08/12 - 05:13 pm
Gosh Angela

I thought my post was funny! You know, a paradoxical comment to demonstrate the absurdness of the right-wing. Even you see how ridiculous it is. Have some fun. Arguing politics on this blog with people who will never change their mind is really a useless endeavor, but is a lot of fun. Where's patriciathomas when you need her?

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/08/12 - 05:14 pm
Hey Gang

Humble Angela is almost got her 2,000 points. Give here a thumbs up or down and get her over the hump.

Looks as if she could use some cheering up.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/12 - 05:15 pm
Why would anyone care what

Why would anyone care what Rush Limbaugh or Thom Hartmann would have to say about conservative or progressive causes? I think some people watch too much tv and listen to too much radio. NPR is worth a listen though-even though slighlty left leaning I like it.

loblolly
loblolly 11/08/12 - 05:15 pm
Wow Bizkit

Such a positive attitude. I started tying neuce (sp?) as I was reading. There is no hope!

loblolly
loblolly 11/08/12 - 05:17 pm
Just gave Angela

lot's of thumbs up!!! You just matched Romney's vote total for Latinos and African Americans!

carcraft
carcraft 11/08/12 - 05:18 pm
The Poor?

Poor in America have cell phones, AC, TV's and food. Drug dealer with $25,000 cash in his pocket was arrested , just had breakfast paid for by an EBT card. Many poor won't take work because their style of living is reduced by entering the work force. America was great because people had self-control and moral virtue. Today people want the government to give, give, give. The only thing the government can give is what it takes from someone else by force of law, whether it is birth control or health care. What people have a "right to" keeps increasing, the definition of what people need keeps increasing and the number of people paying for it is decreasing. The money to pay for it is monetized and will eventual bite us in the butt it like Germany after World War I when it monetized it's war reparations. Now please explain to me how Obama is going to cut deficits when he is double counting Medicare funds (per the CBO) and increasing government give a ways?

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/12 - 05:28 pm
Loblolly, I like humor too

Loblolly, I like humor too but sometimes it goes over like a Led Zepplin. I feel for ya. A good dose of humor is good for what ails ya. That and I just get ignored a lot-but I think people often don't know how to respond to my comments=because they don't understand where I'm going and coming from or I'm a whack job. I can accept either. I'm just deliverin' the message as personally I think we will be just fine. My hopes we have all liberal SCOTUS judges who believe in liberalism-small transparent govt, free market-capitalism,liberal freedom including religion, gay marriage, etc. I think there is room in this country for a melting pot of beliefs and ideas. Although I have to admit I question Broun's education and intellect with his recent comments about evolution-I believe he has a right to such an inane opinion. If he choses to take the bible literally-unlike the majority of theologians-to calcuate the age of the earth in thousands of years then I'm fine with. I know a physicist who doesn't believe in evolution and he believes the earth is thousands of years old (I have to wonder where he got his educatoin). I try not to let that jade me to think he is a commplete idiot and moron (Sean I'm not calling anyone one just lamenting).

justthefacts
22004
justthefacts 11/08/12 - 05:19 pm
Ryan/Social Security

I doubt he ever referred to receipients as "moochers". More made up stuff. He is trying to save it. What's the liberal solution to the disaster that awaits the program?

loblolly
loblolly 11/08/12 - 05:24 pm
Bizkit

Got it! I am having fun today. Not very work productive, but then again, it is my own businss.

carcraft
carcraft 11/08/12 - 05:33 pm
Where are going to go to get

Where are going to go to get give a ways when Uncle Sam is broke? Unemployment among the Black Community is about 16%, http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/2011/08/19/has-obama-abandoned-afr... what has Obama done for them? Oh don’t worry they will vote for Obama heck they even elected an 8 time convicted felon in Detroit to the Michigan House of Reps! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/brian-banks-michigan-results-ho... the black community will elect a Black even if he is a criminal so who cares how Obama teats them? Obama blew off the Latino community after promising them immigration reform but they don’t care if Obama wiped his feet on them and his promise, they vote for him. Unfortunately I am among the 48% that live with the consequences of this type of voter! Enjoy loblolly and look up monitization and Germany after the end of WW1

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/12 - 05:37 pm
When I was the Bizarro

When I was the Bizarro moniker I was a lot funnier and had more fun. A lot of posters had great senses of humor and we all had great fun and some great debates too. Bizarro was banned, just like the monker before him, gee I'm startin' to see a pattern. Any bets that Bizkit will break 4000 points or get canned. Hey is this considered illegal gambling?

loblolly
loblolly 11/08/12 - 05:35 pm
I definitely

need to see that Hannity link. Sure it is fair and unbiased. FOX News Entertainment.

loblolly
loblolly 11/08/12 - 05:36 pm
Bizarro

It's You! Shivas hears your pain.

Gaffe
Gaffe 11/08/12 - 05:39 pm
"Poor in America have cell

"Poor in America have cell phones, AC, TV's and food."

I see you bought into the welfare queen myth hook, line, and sinker.

Also why are you judging people for the few things you see them with in public?

How do you know they got that 60" tv while collecting food stamps and not while they were making a decent living and could afford those luxuries? How do you know the lady got her nails done someplace? Could she possibly be resourceful and did it herself? There are many DIY kits out there that cost very little and with practice, turn out looking just about as good as a salon job. Or maybe, she has a good friend that does nails for a living and trades manicures for watching her friends child sometimes? Are you really so worried about what someone's purse costs? How do you know it's a real designer purse and not a knock off? How do you know that it isn't a five year old design that a friend gave her, or one she got years ago when times were good and is saving money by NOT buying something new? How do you know it wasn't a gift from a well to do friend or family member? Passing judgment based on a few things that you see while in a checkout line or where ever is ridiculous. Ever wonder what people are judging you for without even knowing you?

Also you know what I find funny? The states that use the most welfare are the red states...not the blue ones.

Are there people who abuse the system and get away with it? Most definitely. Does that mean the system should be abolished? NO! There are people who legitimately need a hand in times if need, and if you ever had to go on welfare because of the economy you would know its a program that can help. My parents were on welfare briefly when they were struggling to establish themselves. Once they did, they got off the program, and have been off of it for 45 years. We need to weed out the abusers, make sure they are not able to put a bad name to an unfortunately necessary program.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/12 - 05:41 pm
Shivas my good friend-long

Shivas my good friend-long time no see. Hope life is treating you well. I guess Bizarro decided to sit out this election-but there is always 2016. Perhaps we can once again consolidate a winning team.

Gaffe
Gaffe 11/08/12 - 05:43 pm
And stop whining about the

And stop whining about the 47% that doesn't pay income taxes. You all act like the people who "don't pay taxes" make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. They don't. Most of them make less than $15,000 a year.

It's the tax dodgers like Mitt Romney who pack their millions in off-shore banks and utilize every tax loophole known to mankind while getting free government health care that you should be mad at.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/08/12 - 05:44 pm
loblolly 11/08/12 - 04:13 pm

loblolly writes: "Where's patriciathomas when you need her?"

Shhhhhhhsh! Don't start none, there won't be none.

loblolly
loblolly 11/08/12 - 05:44 pm
Hey Bizarro

remember when the ACES let us "go at it?" Comments would almost always go into the 200's, 300's, and more. Then Sean implemented censorship, and if you posted too liberal you were booted off. Now, I haven't posted for a couple of years, but continue to read, and I see rarely does a story get more than 30-40 comments, and most come from a handful of posters. Oh well, I am surprised the ACES have let me stay on this long the last couple of days. JohnHardisonCain, where are you??The first to be booted no doubt.

loblolly
loblolly 11/08/12 - 05:46 pm
Retired Army

those who must not be spoken.

loblolly
loblolly 11/08/12 - 05:49 pm
Bizkit

I stayed away, but this election was just too fun to ignore. Have a great evening, and I must now get to the soccer fields!!!

KSL
KSL 11/08/12 - 05:51 pm
Cain

Won't pay for a subscription. You know how he hates the AC.

He was not booted. I suspect he doesn't like Obama warmongering anymore than he cared for Bush's.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 11/08/12 - 05:54 pm
Learn to follow the rules

Learn to follow the rules and you can post as much as you want. It's as simple as that.

carcraft
carcraft 11/08/12 - 05:57 pm
I looked in a vending machine

I looked in a vending machine today, pack of gum $0.75, candy bar $1.00. bought about four bags of groceries the other day $125.00. Gas over $3.00. 55 years ago when I was a kid and I went to Mantana to visit relatives if you gave a clerk a $5.00 bill you got back change in silver dollars. A silver dollar goes for $30.00 today. So as Obama continues to add to deficit spending expect to see a silver dollar cost about $60.00, gas $6.00/gal and those bags of grocieries will be $200. New strom heading up to New York etc, I wonder if Obama and Christie will get it on on the beach again or if Obama will be to buzy with J zee and Beyonce?

KSL
KSL 11/08/12 - 06:05 pm
Energy prices are slated to

Energy prices are slated to skyrocket. Brace yourself.

carcraft
carcraft 11/08/12 - 06:07 pm
Welfare queens a myth?

Yep I bought into the welfare folks get cell phones so Does Senator McCaskill http://business.time.com/2012/02/08/how-to-get-the-government-to-cover-y... , AC about 76% of welfare recipients have AC http://themoderatevoice.com/118312/america-is-not-faring-well-on-welfare/ Now if you criticize the source please provide one that refutes it! http://www.eagletribune.com/haverhill/x1684128042/Police-Drug-dealer-wit... My bad the drug dealer only had $15,000 in cash! LOL I guess it is all just a myth huh?

carcraft
carcraft 11/08/12 - 06:08 pm
Oh my can't afford birth

Oh my can't afford birth control but don't take way the cell phone or AC...

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/12 - 06:17 pm
Those simple rules are often

Those simple rules are often the hardest to follow aren't they. Perhaps impetuous is a good word to describe me-but honest with myself when I'm wrong and to others. I can appreciate the situation Sean must saddle (imagine ridin' his horse-sheesh I can't see how you can win with either side). But he has always done so with grace and as a true gentleman-I ain't butterin' ya up but true is true. The atmosphere seemed quite different back in the ole days, Cain constantly spamming his posits-like man the guy was a freakin' machine-ya gotta give a Gold medal for persistence. Despite the vehement differences (and some great arguments and debates-quite lofty at times) there seemed a mutual respect for each others humanity-like if I were ever in trouble I could call you and you'd bother to help me-despite any belief differences. I loved that humanity and humor was a great connector in that regard. But I do get ticked if a fly lands in my grits at times and I'll act like a horses betootie but reason eventually surfaces and I realize I've been a horses betootie and usually ask for forgiveness. So if I've insulted any poster-too bad-naw really I'm sincerly sorry. I only wish the best for all-and I hope any dire predictions I've made are all wrong. I'm no economist nor do I believe the "experts" anyways cause their makin' educated guesses least you wouldn't need an expert because every fool would know exactly what to do. We muddle through life don't we.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/08/12 - 06:31 pm
Hey perhaps legalizing pot

Hey perhaps legalizing pot will have a silver lining. We get both houses of Congress stoned outta their minds and let em go a it. OK guys we have a problems-oooshhhhh, Ka,Ka,Ka What to do???? Haaaaa I donno, hey me either, What was the question? I'm a Rep or Dem is my face melting. Wow man look at all this data and facts concerning this problem. Wow looka here-all awwwing in amazement at the obvious answer by any logical being. My bet they'll zip through laws in agreement at light speed cause it's time for a smoke break-yeahhhhh. Congress adjourns without the drama and bickering. Ah the dream. But it is only for medicinal purposes-like the oracles and indian medicine man. I'm tellin' ya its an idea with potential. What trouble can they get in-and they can't be anymore apathetic than present so maybe it'l give some get up and go.

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/08/12 - 07:02 pm
It is amusing to see someone

It is amusing to see someone tell people to stop whining while they are whining away theirself.

owensjef3