Our shared experience

In today's election, we decide on the country we want

The people in many other countries – Brazil comes to mind – often come together around one national sports team. A big game can be a shared national experience.

In America, not so much. The closest thing we have to that is the Super Bowl – and even then the rooting interests are divided among two teams, while many simply care more about what kind of chips and dip are at the party.

Outside of Thanksgiving or the Fourth of July, today’s election will be the biggest shared American experience perhaps in our lifetimes.

It’s certainly the most momentous and important. We will be doing nothing less than deciding what kind of country we want.

Today’s presidential election, in short, is a referendum on capitalism and free markets. It’s about individualism, which made this country great, vs. collectivism, which has never worked anywhere it’s been tried.

Even Obama surrogate Bill Clinton acknowledges this openly in his stump speeches – though couching it in much more innocent-sounding terms.

This election is also a decision by the electorate as to whether we want to join the president of the United States in declaring all-out class warfare.

Be careful what you wish for.

For one thing, raiding the bank accounts of those making $250,000 and more – people whom Barack Obama calls “millionaires and billionaires” – would net the government a little over eight days’ working capital. And it would take that money out of the private economy.

How would that improve your life? The truth is, it most likely would make your life worse, due to the damage done to the economy and to job creators.

“We need to understand that class warfare is a mortal enemy of economic growth and jobs,” Jim Powell, a senior fellow at the Cato Institute, wrote in Forbes last month. Confiscatory tax rates, he wrote, “discourage work, they drive away investors and entrepreneurs to lower-tax jurisdictions, and there aren’t enough rich people to keep the government going very long, even if all their assets were expropriated.”

Of course, that’s appealing to reason. Mr. Obama’s strategy – and it may work – has been to appeal to our worst instincts: in this case, fear, envy and anger. He recently told supporters, “Voting is the best revenge.” In other words, vote in order to get back at somebody. Vote out of spite. That’s his closing argument in this election.

This president is preying on the notion that it’s easier to make Donald Trump be more like you – by taking his money – than it is for you to become more like Donald Trump. It certainly requires less effort on your part!

Normally, local elections are the ones that impact you the most. National elections don’t usually affect your life this much. But today’s election will determine whether the principles that built this nation – free people, free markets, self-reliance and individual responsibility – are still at the core of our shared experience.

If people change their fundamental principles, so changes their destiny.

Nations are no different.

carcraft
carcraft 11/06/12 - 01:55 am
President Obama shows his true colors speaking off teleprompter

Once again President Obama shows his true colors. This is not about an election it is about getting even and settling a score acording to Obama. Ladies vote with your women parts, will what about their women smarts Obama!

faithson
faithson 11/06/12 - 02:07 am
just like in the 60's u can't stop a moving tide

The likes of this editorial board have been expressing all these platitudes to the voters of America and America is NOT listening. We have moved on. Blame who you must but to not reconsider that the message itself, or the way it is being expressed is not the problem, IS the problem. There are a great many who would stand with a message of fiscal responsibility, but the multitude of baggage that has been hung on this message is intolerable. Get your high and mighty morality play out of your politics and the converts to your cause will be aplenty.

specsta
specsta 11/06/12 - 02:42 am
The Real Destiny

This editorial commentary would make perfect sense to me if I were an amoeba. Or maybe a tadpole. HOWEVER, I am a human being with a reasonably smart brain.

Heck, even a five-year-old understands that if you keep giving the rich more and more money, the end result is that rich are richer. The poor get nothing. It is amazing to me that people with an intellect still think that "the trickle down" theory is anything more than utter rubbish.

Corporations are greedy. Most rich people are greedy. Greed does not allow one to be concerned about the less fortunate. How else can you explain oil companies making billions of dollars in profits, while the common man struggles to fill his gas tank? How else can you explain the multiple-millions of dollars in salaries and bonuses of some corporate chairman, while the actual workers earn slave wages? What else can explain the anger and hatred espoused by the well-off, toward those who have no other means to eat except with food benefits?

Greed.

The rich and well off have a moral obligation to help those less fortunate. A MORAL OBLIGATION. No one has been given wealth to just accumulate more of it. It is there to plant a seed in someone else's life, to help someone else along the way. It is GREED and SELFISHNESS that makes one think it should not be this way.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 11/06/12 - 06:54 am
Election Day Thoughts

I have never been a fan of Gov. Christie, but one thing became patently clear to me when I heard his and the president's remarks about working together: I am beyond nauseated with the bickering of the Republicans. How refreshing to see two adults who do not share the same political views but are trying to work together for the common good. That is precisely what has been missing the last four years.

Democrats are not angels, but Republicans have played games with people's lives only for the goal to see this presidency fail. It would be wrong to reward their obstruction by giving Romney a win. Every adult should point to them and tell their children how not to look up to these folks. Gov. Christie is now under fire from his own party for daring to work with a democratic president. These people are sick and if voters don’t turn them out today, we will all suffer the next four years.

Gone will be our moral authority to insist that despots treat their citizens with fairness. The belief in free and fair elections is one result of that suffering. No longer can other nations look to us as the model of fairness in voting when they see governors who deliberately change laws to ensure that some groups have fewer opportunities to vote. What sense does it make to shorten the number of days citizens can early vote? Does early voting lead to voter fraud?

What is more disheartening if that someone like Mitt Romney and the band of preachers who figuratively tell us that Obama is the “Anti-Christ” have not uttered a word about the lack of fairness for a governor to be happy that citizens stand in line for 8 hours to vote.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 11/06/12 - 07:12 am
Destiny

@specsta
I would not broad brush all corporations as greedy. Many have services and goods and make a profit when others buy them. The operative word here is "buy". A nation without a middle class that has purchasing power can't buy "squat." I think too many of the rich forget that. You can say "I built this" but if no one comes to buy it, what good is it?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 08:06 am
"Heck, even a five-year-old

"Heck, even a five-year-old understands that if you keep giving the rich more and more money, the end result is that rich are richer."

No one is GIVING the rich more money. Only in the mind of a liberal is it "giving the rich money" when the government DOESN'T confiscate their money.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 08:12 am
I wonder why some think it is

I wonder why some think it is GREED and SELFISHNESS to want to keep the money you EARNED, but not to take it away from those who earned it and give it to those who didn't?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 08:16 am
"Democrats are not angels,

"Democrats are not angels, but Republicans have played games with people's lives only for the goal to see this presidency fail."

You mean like refusing to help Americans serving in Libya and allowing them to die? Oh wait.....that wasn't the Republicans, was it.

"It would be wrong to reward their obstruction by giving Romney a win."

You mean their failure to pass a budget in the last 4 years? Oh wait...that wasn't them either.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 11/06/12 - 08:36 am
No, Angela. I said what I

No, Angela. I said what I meant.
You just want an argument and I give you permission to go down that road alone.

Have a good trip and don't stay all day!

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 08:40 am
But your statement is

But your statement is incorrect. No one is GIVING the rich anything. If your arguement starts off with and is based on a false statement, then your have lost the argument from the get-go.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/06/12 - 09:03 am
blah...blah...blah

Thanks MR for the handy voting guide. I will enter the voting booth today and vote for all the candidates opposing the ones on your list. I will also vote "no" on the charter school amendment. We'll see tomorrow whom more Americans agree with. Not much thought or effort in this editorial, MR, sounds like a Paul Ryan stump speech, only you forgot to mention God and Ayn Rand....

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 09:09 am
Better vote against the

Better vote against the Charter Schools. We certianly don't won't more choice. God knows the public schools have done such a stellar job so far; better keep the status quo.

Jane18
Jane18 11/06/12 - 09:30 am
Part of his "hope and change".............

Four years ago didn't obama say he would "fundamentally change" America? Oh, he had some help, plus, he had all those that were just ignorant(to ignore)enough to trust and believe in him!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/06/12 - 09:33 am
"The rich and well off have a

"The rich and well off have a moral obligation to help those less fortunate."

No one has a moral obligation to help those who won't lift a finger to help themselves. Quit trying to dictate my "morals" and answer your Obama phone. Mitt is calling to offer you a JOB.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/06/12 - 10:30 am
Hey, Humble....

I favor charter schools. The state of Georgia already has over 200 and has in place a sensible system for creating more. The critical basic factor in the current system is LOCAL CONROL, a principle long supported by conservatives. Prop #1 would allow an end-around local control by creating a new state board which could approve a charter school over objections of Georgia local communities. We would see a flood of out-of-state educational corporations applying directly to this board (after no doubt lobbying members with lots of $). There is BIG money in the corporate schools business, coming right out of taxpayers' pockets. A vote for Prop #1 is a vote to further reduce LOCAL CONTROL over public schools.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/06/12 - 09:57 am
It's simple.

If I know you voted for obama, I will not do business with you. Your character is as poor as his. I used to spend thousands at costco until I found out one of the founders is a communist backing obama. There are consequences to your vote. If you are a small business person and I find out you voted democratic, I will NOT spend my money with you. Period.

faithson
faithson 11/06/12 - 10:03 am
its on... and it looks like 4 more years !!

the tree is falling to the left again, those who had wished for a fall to the right should have put up a better candidate. It was the right's to lose and lose is just what they have done. It is my hope that either the right kicks out all the bombast on social issues or a third party is initiated by the sober fiscal conservatives who put country before moral ideology, a morality one should 'live', but not legislate.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 10:14 am
Calling an election at 9:03,

Calling an election at 9:03, faithson. Really? Don't forget that most of the Republicans have to wait until they get off work to vote.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/06/12 - 10:16 am
spectra, I do not feel I have

spectra, I do not feel I have a moral obligation to give to anyone. If you ask I may or may not help but I will always take care of my family first instead of those that think I have to help them. My opinion is that MOST on government programs are on there because they want to be and because they will not do what it takes to get off. They get comfortable with the free money in the mail box each month.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 11/06/12 - 10:20 am
the left is so chartiable

the left is so chartiable ..and self-rightious....if you disgree you are called a racist or if you prosper you are a thief...and as bobby d says there aint no neutral ground with a lib..you must walk the line..

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/06/12 - 10:29 am
9:03?

Hey, Humble. I had faithson beat--I called it for Obama last night!
Soon you too, Humble, shall see the truth, and the truth will set you free.

faithson
faithson 11/06/12 - 10:35 am
nofan

all we have to do is look at Indiana and Arizona to see how rigid the right wing neo-cons have become. They threw out competent republican senators to install their breed of 'real' conservative acolytes, a breed that has no intention of working for ALL of America, just those who espouse their ideology of no compromise, nor association.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 10:42 am
"a breed that has no

"a breed that has no intention of working for ALL of America, just those who espouse their ideology of no compromise, nor association."

How are they different from the "neo-libs?"(we can use stupid buzz-words too) You know....the one's who can't/won't pass a budget for 4 years. Or a President who tells us we have to ride in the back of the bus? Or a President who tells us to vote for revenge?

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 11/06/12 - 10:42 am
To Humble @ 7:40...

Truth Matters wrote:

"I believe that what we all owe each other, rich or poor, is not necessarily to “give” our wealth, but to be the best citizen we can be and that means not walking over others for our own gain. That is all I ask of the rich and poor. I have many sources of income and do not begrudge wealthy people one bit___in fact, by my definition I consider myself “wealthy.” It can be a relative term."

Perhaps you confused my post with some other. No where did I say people were GIVING the rich something.

You proved my point. Looking for an argument. I never said what you claim.

I warned you not to stay on that "road" too long.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 11/06/12 - 10:49 am
Charters, Humble???

Hey, Humble, still waiting for your response to my 9:30 post, along with your argument for Prop 1 and shifting decisions on charter schools from LOCAL CONTROL to a new state board hand-picked by Nathan Deal. Wonder how much $$ it has cost the big out-of-state education corporations so far to buy the gov off?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 10:50 am
Sorry, Truth...that comment

Sorry, Truth...that comment was for Specta. My fault.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 10:53 am
EEL....you didn't ask me

EEL....you didn't ask me anything at 9:30. As for local control....I'm all for it...and that is who would run the schools.

And truth matters.....I'm always looking for an argument if someone is spreading lies.....Which it appears Specta was doing by saying that the rich are being given money. Again...sorry for the confusion.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/06/12 - 11:11 am
If the parents don't like the

If the parents don't like the charter school, they don't send their children there regardless of how much money is involved, and the school fails due to lack of students....how much more local can you get than letting the parents decide?

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/06/12 - 11:11 am
Charles Stanley had an excellect message

Sunday afternoon on the reprogramming of America's conscience. Removing God and His laws from our public conscience has brought about the downward spiral of basic civilized society in every facet of our lives. From the state house to the church pew. We have become so desensitized to evil acts portrayed for us 24/7/365 that we barely twitch an eye.

Our collective conscience, our on board guidance system, has been feed junk. Junk in, junk out. That simple. Saint or atheist. Junk in, junk out is an absolute.

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 11/06/12 - 11:19 am
When Clear Channel laid off 1000 middle class people just

to renew Rush Limbaugh's contract, was that money earned? Does Rush actually produce anything useful? Just one example. Cheating people is not synonymous with "earning" money, and if you think Mitt Romney and his ilk care about you or your lot in life, then you don't deserve any better than what you ask for with your vote.

Hey, will you still be claiming "class warfare" when Romney delivers his promised war with Iran to top donor Sheldon Adelson and leaves the rest of us paying $10/gallon for gas? Don't be surprised if some of that precious fuel accelerates a few fires set in protest.