'Back to Basics'

Lee Anderson offers commonsense dose of what Washington lacks

How thoroughly fitting that Lee Anderson’s congressional campaign headquarters in Evans is in the former Strictly Country gift store at Washington and Belair. Nothing the erstwhile shop could have offered to the public, after all, could’ve been more country than Anderson himself.

His campaign signs feature a tractor. He was born and raised on the three-generation family farm in Columbia County he still operates. He went to Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College and Brewton-Parker Christian college. He’s served the Columbia County Farm Bureau for over 27 years, as a past president and current board member. He’s a member of the Georgia Cattlemen’s Association.

Lee Anderson is homegrown, down to Earth and as real and unassuming and reliable as the land he has worked all his life.

Our modern sensibilities wonder how candidates will look and sound on television and such. Our modern sensibilities, of course, are way out of alignment with the vision of our founders – who no doubt envisioned a Capitol bristling with genuine sleeves-rolled-up Americans with a bit of soil under their fingernails and homespun wisdom under their hats.

So the concern is that Anderson isn’t slick and city-polished like so many of today’s entrenched politicians, including the incumbent he’s challenging in the 12th Congressional District, John Barrow.

Then again, what’s all the polish in Washington done for us except give us a big fat shiner? The collection of careerists in Congress have sweet-talked their way completely through our wallets and into the Chinese’s, bankrupting America along the way. They’re chewing through America’s foundation as surely as a colony of termites. But we’re supposed to be afraid how an ordinary person might sound in this den of thieves? Good grief.

Shame on anyone who tries to sell you that tower of babble. But there are those in this community – reputed Republicans among them – who are trying.

The unvarnished truth is, Lee Anderson represents everything that’s right with America. Hard work and self-reliance. Faith and family. Simple dignity and wholesomeness. Restraint and humility. And, above all, the common sense not to eat one’s own seed corn.

“It’s time for us to get back to basics,” Anderson says – covering up his own photo on his website with the words “Balance the Budget.”

“I am what this district is.”

Voters have already recognized and rewarded that fact, more than once. He was elected to the Columbia County Board of Education for eight years, the Columbia County Commission for four years, and since 2008 the Georgia House of Representatives.

In contrast, his opponent represents everything that’s wrong with Washington. We noted two years ago that the Democrat was talking out of both sides of his mouth – having sent mailers to one group of voters claiming he was working hand-in-hand with Barack Obama, but sending another mailer to other voters saying he’s standing up to the Democratic leaders in Congress. Talk about wanting it both ways!

He’s no more coherent in 2012: Despite trying to sell himself in ads as an independent, Barrow sent out a Democratic fundraising letter bragging that “I have supported the President and the Democratic leadership 85 percent of the time.”

Does that sound like the 12th District of Georgia to you?

However Lee Anderson comes off on camera, you can bet he won’t have two faces.

“I consider myself to be a work horse, not a show horse,” he says.

It’s beyond us why the district chose to be represented in 2010 by someone who has to vote against his party in order to represent his voters. Lee Anderson won’t have that problem.

It’s time to get real in Washington. It’s time to send a reliable conservative there – not to pose pretty, but to vote steady.

Elect Lee Anderson to Congress.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/21/12 - 04:29 pm
Gwen Fulcher Young

wants a refined "gentleman" who votes to kill the hard working man by paying for "obamacare". With "Republicans" like her, who needs lefties?

lw9474
lw9474 10/21/12 - 08:19 pm
Candy Crowley and Bob Young

To all you that are so worried about a debate let me point out that Lee participated in many of them during the Republican primary season. All around the district in which he is running. If you have any doubt why a candidate might hesitate to participate in the charade that is called a debate only replay the tape of the Bob (I am here supporting my wife) Young and Candy (I will protect President Obama) Crowley's stellar performances as moderators and you might get an idication of why one might choose not to partcipate. No, Lee did not go to Harvard and never got his silver spoon like John. He has a PHD from the school of hard knocks. He has run a business (for those of you in Rio Linda that is a FARM) and he understands what it takes to make a liviing. So all the equal opportunity, equal outcome liberals don't like a candidate because his speech is not as polished as the siver haired, silver tongued HARVARD lawyer. Give me the man that understands the same thing I go through everday to stay in business and send the pretty boy back to Savannah, or Athens or wherever else it is that he has had to move over the last 10 years to stay in a district the he no longer represents. And if you need any grants just call Uncle Bob's wife Gwen. I am sure she can arrange for the Obama administration to provide you with whatever you need. But you need to do it before the end of the year.

T.More
T.More 10/21/12 - 10:09 pm
"I can see that T. More does not know the man ."

A Game Inside the Game,
How do you get to know a man when he refuses to debate? When he does not make himself available to the press and/or the public to answer basic questions? When he refuses to outline a plan to assist in turning our country around? I have not even seen him out in public pressing the flesh, much less making himself available to voters like me trying to make an informed decision.

For the Conservative Christian Arguers,
Voting for someone because they claim to be a simple conservative and a born again Christian are not good enough reasons either. These are just talking points to sucker in the conservative Christian vote. Bush claimed the same thing. Bush and the Republicans even controlled all three branches of government from 2001-2006, but did not even make strides to restrict abortion as promised. So the whole “I am a conservative Christian vote for me” argument fails once the politician takes office, because they check morality at the door along with their coats. I am tired of politicians cheapening faith by tugging at heartstrings, but worse yet is that fellow believers fall for it every couple of years.

lw9474
lw9474 10/21/12 - 11:02 pm
Really T.

First, to state the facts: Lee has participated in many debates during this election cycle. I know that facts do not matter to you but I just wanted to point that out. I personally attended the debate at the historic St. Pauls church. I know I say Lee sitting on the stage.
Just thought I would mention that it was held at the historic St. Pauls Church. You do display your disdain for the "Bible thumpers and gun toters". To quote the current president. In case you did not get the memo the plan is fairly straight forward: BOOT Barrow and Obama too. Really simple so that even you should be able to comprehend the meaning without drifting off into religous subtrefuge. A few simple steps:
lower taxes
less regulation
Keep it simple my comment.
My mother gave my siblings and I a copy of The Road to Serfdom before she died. Based on that it looks like you are running the paving crew for the Socialists. How is that shovel working out for you?
Have a Blessed Day.

T.More
T.More 10/22/12 - 12:17 am
Professor Hayek's book Iw9474?

You say Lee has participated in many debates, but you name only one of any significance. The definition of many is “a large number of...”

No disdain here, just disappointment for repeatedly witnessing “fellow believers” being mislead into voting for one candidate over another based on the religion argument. Please reread my earlier post if you want to know why I put fellow believers in quotation marks.

Based on you invoking Hayek and calling me the foreperson for a socialist paving crew, I invoke Godwin's Law based on your implying as much.

Now for the irony contained in your last post calling me a socialist. When it comes to the “few simple steps” you suggest are Lee’s promises, they sound very familiar. He gave them heaps of vague promises while avoiding the details. He used simple catchphrases, repeated over and over. That was a description of campaign promises by a politician back in 1933 a continent away. The same politician and regime Professor Hayek (the same Hayek you brought into your post by invoking your deceased mother’s gift) decided to stay away from by remaining in Britain and subsequently writing his book in the middle of WWII.

wribbs
wribbs 10/22/12 - 05:54 am
How can he claim to be a

How can he claim to be a conservative, when he's fed at the public money trough plenty of times himself? A true conservative wouldn't have taken that money. He voted to raise taxes on hospitals, because he said we needed to bring those federal tax dollars back to Georgia. These are not the actions of a true conservative.

I promise you this guy is going to be a big disappointment.

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/22/12 - 07:30 am
I can't make an argument for

I can't make an argument for Anderson, I do not know enough about him. I can make an argument against Barrow, he is Pelosi's puppet and is totally owned by her. That alone is enough for me to vote against him

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/22/12 - 11:56 am
Vote for him. Why?

Because he will vote the right way. It does not matter how well he speaks, his heart is in the right place. Do you want a glib, slick orator or someone whose heart is in the right place representing us in DC?

grinder48
2054
grinder48 10/22/12 - 01:48 pm
A vote for Barrow is a vote for obama

I don't like Anderson but the bottom line is that a vote for Barrow is a vote for obama so, without question, I'm voting for Anderson. We simply must not let the House of Representatives fall back into the hands of the obama democrats, period, whether you like Anderson or not.

Techfan
Techfan 10/23/12 - 02:52 am
I'd like someone who has at

I'd like someone who has at least at slight grasp of what he's voting on. My guess is he'll vote "yea" on anything sponsored by someone with an (R) beside his name, "nay" on anything sponsored by someone with a (D) beside his name, and won't have a clue on bipartisan bill and he sees an (R) and a (D). Just think how good he'll make Georgia look when he's speaking on C-Span. He'll just reinforce the opinion of us being mostly nothing but redneck rubes. Come to think of it, if Anderson wins, they'll be right.

GuyGene
GuyGene 11/05/12 - 07:52 pm
These comments have helped me

These comments have helped me understand Barrow and Anderson a tad better. I try very hard to keep up with local and national politics, but since I have to also work for a living, I can only spend a few hours a day reading news and politics! It does disturb me that Anderson did not debate Barrow. Did he really vote to increase our electric rates? If so, I would like to know his reasons. I haven't been able to find why he voted to increase rates, if he did. Whew, I almost always vote straight republican, but I have very little confidence in Anderson as our representative from what little I have been able to learn about him. Barrow really turned me off last election making fun of what he called the "Max Tax" referring to the Fair Tax - which, from what I know, I am for! Oh well, it will be interesting to find out who wins tomorrow.

Kettle donations rise in 2014