'Back to Basics'

Lee Anderson offers commonsense dose of what Washington lacks

How thoroughly fitting that Lee Anderson’s congressional campaign headquarters in Evans is in the former Strictly Country gift store at Washington and Belair. Nothing the erstwhile shop could have offered to the public, after all, could’ve been more country than Anderson himself.

His campaign signs feature a tractor. He was born and raised on the three-generation family farm in Columbia County he still operates. He went to Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College and Brewton-Parker Christian college. He’s served the Columbia County Farm Bureau for over 27 years, as a past president and current board member. He’s a member of the Georgia Cattlemen’s Association.

Lee Anderson is homegrown, down to Earth and as real and unassuming and reliable as the land he has worked all his life.

Our modern sensibilities wonder how candidates will look and sound on television and such. Our modern sensibilities, of course, are way out of alignment with the vision of our founders – who no doubt envisioned a Capitol bristling with genuine sleeves-rolled-up Americans with a bit of soil under their fingernails and homespun wisdom under their hats.

So the concern is that Anderson isn’t slick and city-polished like so many of today’s entrenched politicians, including the incumbent he’s challenging in the 12th Congressional District, John Barrow.

Then again, what’s all the polish in Washington done for us except give us a big fat shiner? The collection of careerists in Congress have sweet-talked their way completely through our wallets and into the Chinese’s, bankrupting America along the way. They’re chewing through America’s foundation as surely as a colony of termites. But we’re supposed to be afraid how an ordinary person might sound in this den of thieves? Good grief.

Shame on anyone who tries to sell you that tower of babble. But there are those in this community – reputed Republicans among them – who are trying.

The unvarnished truth is, Lee Anderson represents everything that’s right with America. Hard work and self-reliance. Faith and family. Simple dignity and wholesomeness. Restraint and humility. And, above all, the common sense not to eat one’s own seed corn.

“It’s time for us to get back to basics,” Anderson says – covering up his own photo on his website with the words “Balance the Budget.”

“I am what this district is.”

Voters have already recognized and rewarded that fact, more than once. He was elected to the Columbia County Board of Education for eight years, the Columbia County Commission for four years, and since 2008 the Georgia House of Representatives.

In contrast, his opponent represents everything that’s wrong with Washington. We noted two years ago that the Democrat was talking out of both sides of his mouth – having sent mailers to one group of voters claiming he was working hand-in-hand with Barack Obama, but sending another mailer to other voters saying he’s standing up to the Democratic leaders in Congress. Talk about wanting it both ways!

He’s no more coherent in 2012: Despite trying to sell himself in ads as an independent, Barrow sent out a Democratic fundraising letter bragging that “I have supported the President and the Democratic leadership 85 percent of the time.”

Does that sound like the 12th District of Georgia to you?

However Lee Anderson comes off on camera, you can bet he won’t have two faces.

“I consider myself to be a work horse, not a show horse,” he says.

It’s beyond us why the district chose to be represented in 2010 by someone who has to vote against his party in order to represent his voters. Lee Anderson won’t have that problem.

It’s time to get real in Washington. It’s time to send a reliable conservative there – not to pose pretty, but to vote steady.

Elect Lee Anderson to Congress.

T.More
T.More 10/21/12 - 03:19 am
Editorial Agenda...

I thought facts were supposed to be reported not editorial agendas. Anderson rarely if ever grants interviews, will not participate in debates and rarely comments about his tax voting records as a state representative. He compromises like the rest of them and is not some measuring stick for what politicians should be. The paper can try to blame his lack of polish for staunch republicans abandoning him en masse, but there is more to it than that; his voting record for one and his unwillingness to explain any sort of cognizable plan for changing the atmosphere in Washington. The timing of this editorial piece is suspect. Could it be that there is a chance that the gerrymandering might not work yet once again to get Barrow out of office? Anderson did not even win his home county (Columbia) in the GOP Primary and did not win Richmond Co. The local paper is trying to convince the same citizens to vote for him. Anderson is more of the same, just another politician dangling the proverbial conservative carrot before voters in a historically conservative district. Don’t fall for it voters. Too bad we do not have a strong independent to vote for.

Techfan
Techfan 10/21/12 - 05:20 am
"Lee Anderson offers

"Lee Anderson offers commonsense dose of what Washington lacks"??? People without a grasp of the English language???

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/21/12 - 06:40 am
"And, above all, the common

"And, above all, the common sense not to eat one’s own seed corn."

Hard to eat your own seed corn with you're too busy giving away others to the utilities.

Get yer farm dirt-y hands outta my wallet Lee.

*****FISCAL CONSERVATIVE FOR BARROW*****

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/21/12 - 08:01 am
"Brilliant" Barrow

I thought John Barrow was just "brilliant?"

jbenny2010
jbenny2010 10/21/12 - 08:03 am
I have always voted for

I have always voted for whoever was running against Barrow in the past. But I can't vote for Anderson just because he's supposedly a good person. Why should I help send someone to Washington to represent me who hasn't articulated some type of platform? Just saying you are going to balance the budget and cut taxes just doesn't cut it. Especially when you won't even be able to stand before your fellow representatives and plead your case without sounding like (and making as much sense as) Jethro Bodine [from the Beverly Hillbillies]. I'd rather stick with the crook I know rather than the one I don't. Even if I gag while I do it, I'm going to support the other guy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/21/12 - 08:29 am
Wow

Sometimes politics can be funny.....just one good comedy show..

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 10/21/12 - 08:30 am
Anderson??? NOT

He can't even handle a debate with Barrow. If he's that scared of him, they're going to tear him apart in Washington. Vote Barrow!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/21/12 - 08:32 am
Debate

We won't hold our breath waiting for Roundtree to debate Sanders ..

Lee Benedict
1964
Lee Benedict 10/21/12 - 08:37 am
Remember that Barrow voted

Remember that Barrow voted for the stimulus, which, is a mere political payback to chronies.

Remember that Barrow sent a campaign flier promoting that he is "working hand in hand" with Barack Obama.

Remember that Barrow locked his/our office door and hid the day of the Obamacare vote, only emerging when it had enough votes to pass. Then, he refused to vote for its repeal which is contrary to his campaign commercials claiming otherwise.

All of that said, Anderson's campaign has been an insult to each of us. Our votes are being taken for granted which I find quite insulting.

Anderson's public support of TSPLOST and other grabs at our money does not sit well with many.

At the end of the day we can be fairly confident that Barrow and Anderson will vote to support the Second Amendment and America's farmers. It's a toss up on tax increases and spending. Whereas Barrow will gladly vote to give our money to Planned Parenthood and support abortion on demand, Anderson will not. Furthermore, Anderson knows the meaning of a day's work and is familiar with getting his hands dirty via laboring. Barrow, not so much.

A GAME INSIDE THE GAME
A GAME INSIDE THE GAME 10/21/12 - 08:40 am
T.More

I can see that T. More does not know the man .

Suleiman
Suleiman 10/21/12 - 08:59 am
This editorial...

...was shamelessly obsequious and saccharine-sweet on a candidate who doesn't possess even the basic skills for the job he's seeking on a national stage... and I'm not even a Barrow supporter.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/21/12 - 09:29 am
Voting Along Racial Lines

I try to cut to the bone at times. The fact is racial politics are strong here as they are across the country. That fact results in blacks in Georgia voting exclusively Democratic. Barrow has 99% of the black vote, but I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with voting along racial lines.

I’ve often said Augusta would do much better with a black mayor leading things. Anything would be better than the mayor we have now who is one of those made-up faint colors in the back row of the supersized Crayon box that you really can’t tell what color it is because it’s so weak. Is he a Democrat, Republican, conservative or liberal? Who knows? Just color in the lines and keep buying the big box of Crayons.

So Barrow’s strategy is to get all the black vote and get just enough white Republicans to cross over to voter for him. If you vote for him and he wins, you, Gwen Fulcher Young, and the 10% of white voters can meet in her kitchen again and admire her fake granite counter tops.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/21/12 - 10:39 am
Voting RED and not Obama's type of Red

Simply put I do not like the direction the National Democrat Party has escalated the national debt in the last 4 years. The highest since Reagan and the Global Cold War.

I therefore will be voting straight national republican ticket this time, because they will need the veto proof votes to make some upcoming, very seriously and difficult decisions on where money is spent and wasted.

Note: To all national level Republicans, you have 2 years to show us you are on the road to fiscal responsibility. Screw up this chance, and I can assure you the general sentiment is you will be cast aside in the 2014 & 2016.

Look at the national debt clock to see how bad it is and getting worse by the second. http://www.usdebtclock.org/

See it in honest figures as of Aug. 14, 2012 by each president.
@ http://www.PresidentialDebt.org

Jon Lester
Jon Lester 10/21/12 - 10:47 am
I'm sure Anderson makes a fine neighbor.

I got along well with Barrow when he lived here in Athens, too. You really need more than that to back an endorsement.

JRE
JRE 10/21/12 - 10:54 am
what a joke - the only

what a joke - the only qualification Anderson has that matters to the editorial staff is the letter R next his name - here is a look at Anderson's qualifications presented recently:

With that said, it’s important that candidates for Congress in our state at least have a basic understanding of the Federal Reserve. Sadly, State Rep. Lee Anderson, a candidate in GA-12, has not found this issue worth looking into or, apparently, even comprehending.

During a recent candidate forum in Statesboro, Anderson was asked what he would like to do about the Fed; to which he replied, “We must build our reserves even stronger than what it is now…on the federal level.” He then said, obviously referring to revenues, that the legislature is “building back our reserves up now.” You can watch video of Anderson’s comments here (4:08-4:40), courtesy of the Statesboro Herald.

Seriously? Even if you aren’t supportive of Rep. Paul’s effort to audit the Fed, this sort of shallowness from a candidate running for Congress is worthy of a loud gasp.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that a candidate running for office needs to know the ins-and-outs of monetary policy or be schooled in Austrian economics, but it’s painfully clear that Anderson has no idea what the Federal Reserve is or what it does. And not only does he not know what the Federal Reserve is or does, he apparently thinks the federal government has “reserves” of money in the bank we just need to make “even stronger than what it is now”. Word confusion aside, does Rep. Lee Anderson not know that our federal government is running a deficit north of $15 trillion?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/21/12 - 11:19 am
effete elitist liberal - has a point

But you have avoided presenting facts.

What has your candidate done to be fiscally responsible?

I was clear in stating, I was voting republican to fix things and if they don't I will cast them aside in 2014 & 2016.

Would you do the same for America, despite your strong party affiliations?

allhans
allhans 10/21/12 - 11:41 am
Will Republicans actually

Will Republicans actually vote for a person who is on the same side as Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi.
I have a freeling when they begin to fill out the ballot, they will remember all that Barrow represents and vote Lee Anderson.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 10/21/12 - 11:46 am
Please do NOT make the mistake of voting for Anderson!

He does not have the credentials [knowledge, skills, and abilities] to be successful in Washington. This country is in bad enough shape; let's not add to it by voting for a candidate who can not debate not explain his platform. Sorry... telling jokes to voters is not the way we are going to improve the course that America is on. I am Republican and I have no problem voting for Barrow. We have got to change the path of America.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/21/12 - 01:53 pm
Again what has Barrow done

to demonstrate fiscal responsibility the last 4 years.
Simple question.

The much wanted Anderson’s vs. Barrow debate has nothing to do with my vote. I am voting straight State & National republican in 2012. Just to get the republicans a veto proof voice to fix the mess.

If they screw it up too, or don't take a few seriously REAL steps like a balanced Budget amendment, I'll start voting 3rd parties.

Lee Benedict
1964
Lee Benedict 10/21/12 - 03:40 pm
I cannot believe that I am

I cannot believe that I am endorsing via a public forum elitist liberal's comments.

If I recall, the local GOP establishment was condemning Barrow left right and center in 2008 and in 2010 for refusing to debate Stone and McKinney. Well, he's willing to do so now, and to not take full advantage of the free exposure with which to slam Barrow for his "hand in hand" with Obama flier, his vote in support of the $800,000,000,000ish stimulus, his refusal to vote for the repeal of Obamacare (the largest tax increase ever), and the list goes on, can very well cause an open-minded rational adult to conclude that Barrow's opponent has things to fear.

All I "know" is that if Maria Sheffield had been the nominee (she was clearly the best candidate and person), Barrow would not be guns ablazin' to debate.

If I were Anderson's manager, I would have him attend every debate, forum, gathering, have him on the same stage as Barrow, and point blank tell the 12th that Barrow spent campaign money for the flier to boast his Obama support, his stimulus vote, refusing to vote to repeal Obamacare, and when Barrow does the Harvard two-step, just state, "John, that all sounded quite nice and eloquent, but you refused to proudly defend the flier, the vote, the refusal to vote..." and keep hammering away at HIS RECORD. Also, keep stating that he is a work horse and not a show horse. Tell the working people that he knows what a long day's work for little pay is like.

If you recall this paper's story when Anderson first announced, he was quoted as saying something along the lines of, "We took a look at the numbers" and they are favorable to him. Well, if THAT is this campaign's strategy, then it's over. Barrow is flooding the airwaves with ads that make him look moderate at the very worst, and, liked by all demographics and constituencies. And if you think that "the rural Georgia farmers" will vote for the farmer and not the candidate with a superior NRA rating as well as similar ratings from business groups, you are mistaken and aloof.

During the primary campaign I was told by many that "we need a Congressman from here". As vanity-ridden as it is, that is their right. I tried to tell them that you can't just put anyone against Barrow and assume victory because Barrow and Obama are both Democrats. You see, after the primary comes the general, and, Barrow had a million-dollar head start and years of goodwill and needing 7%-9% of "GOP voters" to support him and/or not vote for the "R". That being the case, wants/entitlements must take a backseat to reality which is why I advocated so hard for Sheffield. But, the voters got their wish despite the million warnings, and now they are dealing with it. The lesson to be learned here is, LISTEN TO ME.

I know that there are many who will not vote for Barrow and will not vote or will have a hard time voting for Anderson (I'm one of them). The run-off and the general election cycles soured many of us on the campaign and the candidate. The days of voting for "the party" (either party, mind you) are over, and, for those who say not voting for Anderson or Barrow is a vote for Barrow, maaaaaaay want to hush before people DO vote for Barrow. The Anderson campaign, not the candidate himself (although final authority and decisions "should" lie with the candidate), is a case study in arrogance, chutzpah, and overall ignorance.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/21/12 - 05:29 pm
Gwen Fulcher Young

wants a refined "gentleman" who votes to kill the hard working man by paying for "obamacare". With "Republicans" like her, who needs lefties?

lw9474
lw9474 10/21/12 - 09:19 pm
Candy Crowley and Bob Young

To all you that are so worried about a debate let me point out that Lee participated in many of them during the Republican primary season. All around the district in which he is running. If you have any doubt why a candidate might hesitate to participate in the charade that is called a debate only replay the tape of the Bob (I am here supporting my wife) Young and Candy (I will protect President Obama) Crowley's stellar performances as moderators and you might get an idication of why one might choose not to partcipate. No, Lee did not go to Harvard and never got his silver spoon like John. He has a PHD from the school of hard knocks. He has run a business (for those of you in Rio Linda that is a FARM) and he understands what it takes to make a liviing. So all the equal opportunity, equal outcome liberals don't like a candidate because his speech is not as polished as the siver haired, silver tongued HARVARD lawyer. Give me the man that understands the same thing I go through everday to stay in business and send the pretty boy back to Savannah, or Athens or wherever else it is that he has had to move over the last 10 years to stay in a district the he no longer represents. And if you need any grants just call Uncle Bob's wife Gwen. I am sure she can arrange for the Obama administration to provide you with whatever you need. But you need to do it before the end of the year.

T.More
T.More 10/21/12 - 11:09 pm
"I can see that T. More does not know the man ."

A Game Inside the Game,
How do you get to know a man when he refuses to debate? When he does not make himself available to the press and/or the public to answer basic questions? When he refuses to outline a plan to assist in turning our country around? I have not even seen him out in public pressing the flesh, much less making himself available to voters like me trying to make an informed decision.

For the Conservative Christian Arguers,
Voting for someone because they claim to be a simple conservative and a born again Christian are not good enough reasons either. These are just talking points to sucker in the conservative Christian vote. Bush claimed the same thing. Bush and the Republicans even controlled all three branches of government from 2001-2006, but did not even make strides to restrict abortion as promised. So the whole “I am a conservative Christian vote for me” argument fails once the politician takes office, because they check morality at the door along with their coats. I am tired of politicians cheapening faith by tugging at heartstrings, but worse yet is that fellow believers fall for it every couple of years.

lw9474
lw9474 10/22/12 - 12:02 am
Really T.

First, to state the facts: Lee has participated in many debates during this election cycle. I know that facts do not matter to you but I just wanted to point that out. I personally attended the debate at the historic St. Pauls church. I know I say Lee sitting on the stage.
Just thought I would mention that it was held at the historic St. Pauls Church. You do display your disdain for the "Bible thumpers and gun toters". To quote the current president. In case you did not get the memo the plan is fairly straight forward: BOOT Barrow and Obama too. Really simple so that even you should be able to comprehend the meaning without drifting off into religous subtrefuge. A few simple steps:
lower taxes
less regulation
Keep it simple my comment.
My mother gave my siblings and I a copy of The Road to Serfdom before she died. Based on that it looks like you are running the paving crew for the Socialists. How is that shovel working out for you?
Have a Blessed Day.

T.More
T.More 10/22/12 - 01:17 am
Professor Hayek's book Iw9474?

You say Lee has participated in many debates, but you name only one of any significance. The definition of many is “a large number of...”

No disdain here, just disappointment for repeatedly witnessing “fellow believers” being mislead into voting for one candidate over another based on the religion argument. Please reread my earlier post if you want to know why I put fellow believers in quotation marks.

Based on you invoking Hayek and calling me the foreperson for a socialist paving crew, I invoke Godwin's Law based on your implying as much.

Now for the irony contained in your last post calling me a socialist. When it comes to the “few simple steps” you suggest are Lee’s promises, they sound very familiar. He gave them heaps of vague promises while avoiding the details. He used simple catchphrases, repeated over and over. That was a description of campaign promises by a politician back in 1933 a continent away. The same politician and regime Professor Hayek (the same Hayek you brought into your post by invoking your deceased mother’s gift) decided to stay away from by remaining in Britain and subsequently writing his book in the middle of WWII.

wribbs
wribbs 10/22/12 - 06:54 am
How can he claim to be a

How can he claim to be a conservative, when he's fed at the public money trough plenty of times himself? A true conservative wouldn't have taken that money. He voted to raise taxes on hospitals, because he said we needed to bring those federal tax dollars back to Georgia. These are not the actions of a true conservative.

I promise you this guy is going to be a big disappointment.

wayne2410
wayne2410 10/22/12 - 08:30 am
I can't make an argument for

I can't make an argument for Anderson, I do not know enough about him. I can make an argument against Barrow, he is Pelosi's puppet and is totally owned by her. That alone is enough for me to vote against him

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/22/12 - 12:56 pm
Vote for him. Why?

Because he will vote the right way. It does not matter how well he speaks, his heart is in the right place. Do you want a glib, slick orator or someone whose heart is in the right place representing us in DC?

grinder48
grinder48 10/22/12 - 02:48 pm
A vote for Barrow is a vote for obama

I don't like Anderson but the bottom line is that a vote for Barrow is a vote for obama so, without question, I'm voting for Anderson. We simply must not let the House of Representatives fall back into the hands of the obama democrats, period, whether you like Anderson or not.

Techfan
Techfan 10/23/12 - 03:52 am
I'd like someone who has at

I'd like someone who has at least at slight grasp of what he's voting on. My guess is he'll vote "yea" on anything sponsored by someone with an (R) beside his name, "nay" on anything sponsored by someone with a (D) beside his name, and won't have a clue on bipartisan bill and he sees an (R) and a (D). Just think how good he'll make Georgia look when he's speaking on C-Span. He'll just reinforce the opinion of us being mostly nothing but redneck rubes. Come to think of it, if Anderson wins, they'll be right.

Hot temps increase worries about children left alone in cars
Despite continual warnings by police and child advocates, the number of children dying in hot cars is already close to surpassing last year with five months left in 2016.