Bottom Line

You won’t believe this. We didn’t!

The U.S. Supreme Court long ago struck down “separate but equal” school segregation. Astoundingly, Florida is now instituting “together but unequal.”

The Florida Board of Education has set race-based student achievement goals in reading and math that actually presume blacks and Hispanics can’t keep up with their Asian and white counterparts.

The board’s stated goals say that by 2018, 90 percent of Asian students will read at or above grade level, while 88 percent of whites, 81 percent of Hispanic and 74 percent of blacks will. There are similar race-based goals in math.

What a perfectly horrid and utterly racist statement – saying a goal for one race is out of reach by another!

They claim the scheme will eliminate racial achievement gaps. Rather, it will just pretend those gaps aren’t there – only cementing them in place. In trying to make people feel good, they’re telling certain children they can’t keep up.

That’s not true, and it’s certainly not a healthy message to send.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/19/12 - 09:47 pm
Well, if I have to have brain

Well, if I have to have brain surgery, I want an Indian surgeon.

myfather15
myfather15 10/20/12 - 04:45 am
This is the "Trophy for

This is the "Trophy for everyone" mentality which does not reward for personal achievement but for collective!! So, you can't read as well as others your age, we don't want to hurt your feelings, heres a trophy. You can't run as fast as others your age, you shouldn't have to even try, heres your trophy. We are not rewarding individuals for personal ambition and drive anymore. Thank you Unions!! Everyone must be treated the same. So everyone will be mediocre........eventually!!

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/20/12 - 05:06 am
hey River, if ya can make it,

hey River, if ya can make it, I hear you can get operations at a discount if you get the operation on location in Hyderabad (or any third world country)

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/20/12 - 06:07 am
Reminds Me of Shockley

Remember Dr. William Shockley, the eugenics proponent, who sued the AJC for calling him a Hitlerite? Maybe he is alive and well in Florida?

Omnomnom, nahhh, I want an American trained Indian surgeon and hospital here. Nothing cut rate. If I can't get an Indian surgeon, I want a Chinese one. I haven't seen a white kid valedictorian of a Columbia County school in about 20 years. When my kid was at Lakeside he jokingly told me, they have a separate valedictorian...the nonIndian student with the highest score. Heh.

agustinian
agustinian 10/20/12 - 06:45 am
The Soft Bigotry of Low Expectations

Is that why Mr. Obama is so high in the polls with such a pathetic record? We don't expect as much from him because . . . .
Say it ain't true, Joe!

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/20/12 - 08:09 am
agustinian.......BINGO

agustinian.......BINGO

Jane18
Jane18 10/20/12 - 08:20 am
Expectations

You hit the nail on the head, augustinian!

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 10/20/12 - 01:37 pm
My father15, you are talking

My father15, you are talking about municipal unions I'm sure aren't you? These are the unions that are bringing this Country straight down the drain.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/20/12 - 07:09 pm
The Bell Curve

Somebody wrote a book about this:

The Bell Curve